Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fried Chicken posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/tV19B

gallery of images about Mr Fantastic and a guy dying from cancer

Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That scene would be a lot greater if the artist had drawn the girl so we couldn't see her bra.

Maybe he was just representing x-ray vision in action! :science:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah, Doctor Peter Weller has a mind he likes to stretch on occasion, and Italian Renaissance art history isn't exactly one of those PhDs someone casually picks up for the many and numerous job possibilities it offers.

Quite a versatile man. Reminds me of someone from many years back:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I really need to read these.

I was about nine when Star Wars came out so I devoured anything related to it, including the comics. This early in the game the writers and artists didn't yet understand that the character design of Star Wars was a big change from old fashioned stuff like Flash Gordon so they filled the pages with goofy looking aliens and traditional fantasy/sci-fi bullshit. That rabbit character...god that was awful.

I recall one character, a bounty hunter that I think was a cyborg (unless I'm mixing him up with someone else) and his story was pretty grim. He came to a bad end that was well done but didn't mesh at all with how dumb the writing usually was. Definitely could've used more of that.

There was a slew of terrible Star Wars inspired stuff in that early period and it was uniformly bad. At least there were some good artists involved though, like Howard Chaykin and Walt Simonson.

EDIT: The newspaper comic was pretty flaccid but looked and felt more like part of the Star Wars universe, probably thanks to Russ Manning. He was capable of some pretty trippy stuff though, like one of my favorite childhood comics: Magnus, Robot Fighter!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 8, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Avengers and New Avengers had an eight month time jump to get up to Secret Wars where suddenly a portion of heroes were now working with old Cap at SHIELD hunting down the others, who were working with Tony.
Some of the ones with SHIELD/Cap got some new costumes.

Haven't been reading Captain Marvel, if it's explained further there.

e:

Hello? He's standing right next to you! Stretchy guy, numeral 4 on his chest.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I really like her speech bubbles. :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm tickled that it's 2015 and comic books are still drawing on imagery from the 1980s when I last collected them, in this case Phoenix getting zapped. Has it always been iconic, or is this just a random thing?

EDIT: vvvvv But didn't all that come long after X-Men 137? Unless I'm remembering it wrong I thought this was a call-back to the panel where she gets blasted after combat with Lilandra's team on the moon.

EDIT 2: This one. Forgive me if I'm getting everything mixed up. I haven't followed comics closely for a very long time.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 3, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Uthor posted:

The last story in Jason's recent collection of short stories (If You Steal) is called Nothing. It's a unique representation of how Alzheimer's is affecting an old woman. I don't want to post 16 pages here, but you can see them at this link.
http://imgur.com/a/ihtCz

This is amazingly well done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

As someone who first encountered the DC Captain Marvel in the early 1970s it's strange to see such a cartoony, lightweight character drawn into the grimdark stuff that comics turned into. It's like seeing Bugs Bunny mixed in with all the death and destruction.

And now someone's going to tell me that Bugs Bunny also received the grimdark makeover at some point. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Phy posted:

I tell you what though, if rebooting Hanna-Barbera cartoons with realistic art is gonna be the new thing, I am pumped for Yogi Bear

Hell no, Quick Draw McGraw done Punisher style. "El Kabong" is going to have a whole new meaning! :black101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

He looks a little different in live action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vXbsvxWCc

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stonk:

What the hell, comic books?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Example:

Are any of these characters the originals, or are they all reboot type versions?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I should've been clearer in the question but being out of comics for so long has left me rather confused with all the contortions the characters have been through over the decades. I really should have said "Are any of these the original characters from back in the 60s-70s-80s?"

Since most characters never die or retire I forget sometimes that there are ones that pass on their name to a new character, like with Ms. Marvel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Also goddamn if the Vision and Iron Man show up to save me I'm not going to complain about it.

But maybe if the late 1970s Defenders show up...

Cancer-talk: I would've been okay with someone getting me healing stones or a magic elixir to cure it, but I would've wanted a second opinion from Doctor Strange.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 26, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

You're fine! Sorry, I just get a bit sensitive with this stuff because every time a mantle changes hands these days people come out of the woodwork with the 'why don't they just make new chararacters!' crap. My contention is basically always that this is a new character and the old one is probably still around. Marvel's actually done a good job with most of the torch-passing imo.

I'm digressing but I'm just working through a thought here so excuse me. I've always thought part of the real reason heroes wear masks (besides them being easier to draw) is because it means the reader can insert themselves into the role and find an ideal to inspire them. If the reader can think of themselves wearing the mask, why can't a different character be wearing it on the page sometimes?

Even if you don't think the story is well-told, just having a different viewpoint can be valuable. See the discussion about Thor's cancer right here!

I like the stuff that was just posted about these newer characters. I'm always tickled to see such old material find new life.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

So...Jane lost all her hair in less than a week on Chemo? That's uh...not how that works.

I don't have cancer, I have um...something else. And you better believe I would jump at the chance for any sort of strange magical cure or whatever. Also again, Strange kinda bungled the cure for cancer a while back, so I wouldn't really trust him...

But you need Strange around to find out if those healing stones will also doom you to 1,000 years of undeath in the unholy service of some necromancer.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

EDIT: With health insurance you can get that 1,000 years down to just 250! :woop:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, health insurance in the Marvel universe is loving great. Only 1/4th the cost?

That's after you've met the deductible. It involves finding planets for Galactus to eat. :btroll:

EDIT: ^^^^^^ Who's the space hobo with his faithful M.U.L.E.?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Oh, man, you guys made me go look back at my Marvel Graphic Novels.

God bless Chris Claremont.

Is that Thunderbird? :rip:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Danielle Moonstar

If Tom Orzechowski does the letters I'm willing to read it. :unsmith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I have no idea if this is the one you mean but it illustrates my point about "can't change his colors" pretty well :v:

"Touching" and inspiring :pervert:

I remember reading the Mad Magazine parody "Plastic Sam" in a reprint back in the 1970s. The original is from 1954 and features the "Plastic Man as clothing" gag as well as a sort of horrifying way to injure him. (Both on the left hand page)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Uncanny X-men 132

Man I was so stoked when I first read that issue. If the comic book store had been a little closer to home I probably would've camped out waiting for each issue from that plotline.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Seeing these ancient cartoon characters turned into serious business in 2017 is making my old brain confused.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Amazing Spiderman #700.5
"What would Spider-Man Do?" Click it

Is that Arthur from The Tick?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

redbackground posted:

Is Arthur's name Tommy?

Maybe it's his middle name!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If Superman lost his powers wouldn't he sort of... become Batman? Train really hard, get some technology together and go beat the crap out of people?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Heck that's basically the point of the Nightwing & Flamebird stories back in the Silver Age

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about that until I saw those names and went and looked up some panels online. Back in the 1970s the local bookstore would often sell bags of comic books, many stripped of their cover. My brother and I would gorge on them now and then and pile up loads of 1960s stuff for cheap.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

At this point we all might be clones of Jean/Scott.

Push me too far and I will become... DARK TRAUMA! :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jeez. Have they killed Krypto at least once too?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Noooooo don't do that to me! :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That arm is neat, especially in a profession that tends to overwork the poo poo out of everything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That's basically the entire comic, isn't it? You may want to remove that link

Yes, go ahead. I'm done reading it. :smith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Back when I worked at an ad agency that was staffed mostly by people of color I was asked for suggestions about things that were an important part of America's white culture and the only thing I could come up with was Cool Whip and bowling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That would not have been helpful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

A Tom Taylor written story from DC's weird Nuclear Winter Special anthology comic set at Christmas time and/or various post-apocalypses.

Here's the end of the story, if you need it: Kara (the flying woman is a grown up Supergirl, if you didn't get that part) takes the girl to Superman's fortress, finds the rocket he traveled to Earth in and like her and Superman's parents, she looks up a livable world for the kid, but unlike them, crams herself in the pod with the child and they blast off together.

This is so well done, both the writing and art. Really good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When my 80 year old dad was a boy he used to collect comic books. His mom threw them all out when he graduated from high school. :smith:

Last night we were talking about how old characters like Batman and Wonder Woman are still very popular, and he mentioned that one of his favorites from childhood was Plastic Man.

Thanks to the SA comic book threads I was able to inform him that PM is still around, and he was amazed and pleased. So... thank you comic book people.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Definitely going to start telling people that I was fathered by a Skrull.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

WHOOOK!

I like the lettering. Who did it?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Those DIE panels were just about the best thing I've seen in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I remember Tony becoming an alcoholic back in the seventies so it's sad to see him still struggling with addiction. :smith: