Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The bat on her jacket is still my favourite bit of costume design both in Injustice, and of Harley in anything that's not her TAS design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That scene was good enough that they ripped it wholesale and used it in the best episode of the first season of Supergirl

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So wait, why did Mammoth freak out after focusing on Superman's torn suit?

It's not the tears, it's the symbol. It's an "Oh poo poo, I'm gonna fight SUPERMAN?!?" reaction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McCloud posted:

The movies get him just fine, friend. He may not be the silver age father figure comic book fans yearn for, but that's part of the appeal.

*sighing, unsheathes my katana* OK, I'll bite: What about him do you think the movies capture the essence of, and how do you justify that after the majority seem to feel the portrayal lacks key signifiers of the character?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

I think he was in an issue of spider-woman near the end

Yeah, he was basically the proving ground supervillain fight for Jessica's boyfriend after he reformed and was trying to be a superhero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

They were Evil Science Communists, and yes, what they did to Bucky was horrible, but their science also killed a lot of Nazis.

The comic has the word Movie in the title. Pretty sure they're going with movie continuity and movie Winter Soldier was brainwashed by Nazis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A She-Hulk book once established that if you're a Hulk, your Hulk form gets stronger in direct proportion to your own baseline strength, so Jen Walters started hitting the weights so She-Hulk would be more buff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Holy poo poo, we really are in a timewarp. Rhyno's brining up Ned in the movies thread and now nerds are talking poo poo about Juan Bobillo's art in She-Hulk (which was the bomb, y'all are blind and probably hated Henderson on Squirrel Girl too)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Due to ~sliding timescale~ this is now the first time

I swear we were trying to beat the commies originally....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

The main problem with her art is that she is ridiculously inconsistent when it comes to drawing faces, although she has issues being consistent in other aspects of her art as well(like for example Doreen is supposed to have a female Powerlifter sort of physique, but that's rather hard to notice most of the time because Henderson rarely bothers to put any muscle definition on her, so she appears more chubby than anything much of the time*)

*which leads to her relatively unique physique for a female superhero to pretty much never get drawn that way by other artists, they pretty much all either give her a generic figure, or draw her as chubby

Uh, I actually never got 'powerlifter' as SG's physique. I got "is a size 10" or what you defined as 'chubby'. Which is also unique for women in comics, because most artists don't know how to draw anything except pin-up model.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, some of the worst comics ever drawn have been very talented artists chasing the house style or even just the prevailing trend. Look at the litany of good pencillers who tried to copy Liefeld and McFarlane in the mid 90s and turned out butt-ugly work that looks ten times worse that what they're imitating.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah there's a really great moment between her and Jarvis on that very topic

Also I like that they touched quite a bit on Hank Pym's issues without outright vilifying him like a lesser writer would

The first run had a really good issue with Janet's view of the whole domestic violence situation. Which was great because of all the stuff that's been done with that incident, it's all been about Hank and redeeming him, and never really about how it made Jan feel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

That's a very nice way to honor The Thing.

He is the idol o' millions, after all

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kind of reminds me of the one really good bit in Batman & Robin (the movie), where Clooney sits beside a dying Alfred blaming himself for the old man dying of the same disease that killed Nora Fries.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought it was super sweet, and having Obsidian help his dad cut through the noise was very touching, as was tying it to the whole Green Lantern "overcoming fear" shtick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, did Obsidian's costume always look that much like Mr Miracle?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the JSA thing: I also really like the idea of Wildcat and GL at a bar in the 40s, and Ted failing to be restrained from kicking some bigots' asses for calling Alan the F word.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Depending on the bar and how far into the 40s they are, dear Ted might be jumping the gun here. While it was one of the most common terms for straight people to refer to gay men in the first half of the 20th century (often value neutral), it was also very very broadly adopted, often admiringly, by gay men themselves. It had a rather different connotation in the 40s than it does today (I'm teaching queer amlit this semester and just covered this exact issue-- it can be quite shocking for students in 2021 to encounter pre-WWII texts in which it's thrown around liberally, even lovingly!)

Check out George Chauncey's magisterial Gay New York for more info!

Thanks! That's actually pretty interesting, I figured that might not have been the right touchstone for a slur for the time period, but these things are always more complex than you think!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 4, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That was my main point, yes. Give us Ted Grant beating up homophobes, coward Tynion!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm still convinced that WB want to be able to have their cake and eat it with Wonder Woman. Sure, you can have little references here and there to her being queer, but the idea of her having a female (or NB) love interest in the present day? LOL, nope (I realise G Willow Wilson tried to do this in her run, but Atlantiades' affections for Diana were almost entirely presented as unrequited and there was way more about Diana and Steve). Come on, let her and Etta hit a lesbian bar in DC or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wonder Woman should date Lois Lane.

Would be better than Zack Snyder rehashing Bruce and Lois.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Do not disparage Taika Waititi

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has anyone else ever worked THAT line into a Conan comic?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Well, take a fun catch phrase from a cartoon and give it a heartbreaking backstory, why don't you?

Other way round

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

It's kinda a pity they don't do the same with Carol. It came up in the one story post-Heroes-Return, then nothing's really been mentioned of it. That's far more a "one and done" miraculously cured than Tony's deal.

Uh, tell me you don't read Captain Marvel without telling me you don't read Captain Marvel.

I can think of at least 2 cases in the last 3 years or so where it's been addressed. Thompson's run even had her lady friends (and Tony) hold basically an intervention

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Life Of Captain Marvel mini also has her wobble due to poo poo with her family and brings up that Tony's her AA sponsor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

It's a World's Best Mom mug. Which is exactly perfect.

I mean yes, but obviously it's Martha's. Because Clark's that kind of dork.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gonna echo that. It's raw, honest stuff and J Bone's pencils articulate Conroy's story excellently. Be warned though, he includes a few instances of the F slur being directed at him so just be aware of that going in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phy posted:

Thinking about it, a better reference would have been how long you can usefully perform tasks after suffering a rapid decompression while at altitude (like if the windows fall out of your airplane): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Everest, at about 29000 feet, would give Billy about a minute before the mental effects of hypoxia took hold. Which is still enough time to have those panels in, but Supes would have likely had to hustle him back down the mountain before he passed out.

Or, like, he says 2 syllables again?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rainbow Rowell is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That same run has the issue (maybe even the same one, actually) where Foggy reveals the way he copes with the cancer and chemo is picturing the chemo as Daredevil fighting the tumour.