Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
From Incredible Hulk #189. In Siberia, the Hulk encounters a small girl fishing in a lake.

The "Dark Ones" turn out to be moloids who eventually subdue the Hulk as he tries to fight them. The Hulk wakes up to...

The Hulk's rampage seals the cave the moloids were attacking from and as Hulk returns to the village with the cure...

The story is named "None are so blind...".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

The death of Johnny Storm was a real emotional punch, but I always though Hickman really knocked it out the next issue, showing the FF's various grieving processes. For example, sometimes you just gotta hit something, and nobody knows that better than Banner and Thor.

I think the best part is Hulk stopping Thor and then seeing that Ben isn't even doing that much damage before he just collapses.

Fantastic Four #588

The little blue Johnny Storm is a model of his memorial. I didn't realize this until I read through the script (posted in the TPB), but throughout all the issue Thing never looks straight at Johnny's memorial or the casket. He's just growing super mad over three-ish weeks and gets to finally let it all out on Hulk. Great scene.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Leslie Anne Shappe, the vigilante known as Crazy Eight, has been incarcerated after killing hugely popular U.S. senator Hartwell. Previously, Crazy Eight had only targeted criminals, so Dr. Leonard Samson is brought to State Penitentiary as an expert psychologist to evaluate Leslie's sanity, with the hope of a death sentence.

Samson agrees to talk to her to figure out why she killed the senator and see if he can help her, but Leslie... doesn't cooperate.

Doc Samson testifies to Leslie's sanity and Crazy Eight gets put on death row. Some time passes, and on the day of the execution Leslie requests a visit from Samson who's still trying to understand why she killed the senator.

(All from Incredible Hulk #380)

E: spelling

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 15, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I remember reading this issue as a kid and being irritated at what I thought was an obvious inventory issue. Then reading it again a few years later and being blown away by the fact that it was actually really bloody good.
It's more of a fill-in and less of an inventory seeing as it starts where the previous issue left off, but the story is about something else entirely. They had two fill-ins in four months over Hulk #'s 376-380, I thought both were really good.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That one wasn't a fill-in, though; it was done by the regular creative team.
Regular writer, different penciller and they both depart from the previous story. It's not really a fill-in but neither really an inventory story.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

It's true, köttbullar is pretty great, and I'm not even Swedish. I'm not sure it makes up for lutefisk, but that's more of a shared blame thing for Scandinavia anyway :colbert:
You'd diss lutfisk when there's surströmming?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

As part of a peace agreement between the Inhumans and the Kree, the Supreme Intelligence demands that Ronan the Accuser returns to him - alone.

FF (v1) #21

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I think 'touching' in this case means 'emotional'. Just not the warm fuzzy kind.

This goon got it right. It's not inspiring in the least, but very powerful. In panel 2 you've got Crystal collapsing after breaking up her marriage, crushed, but her duty demands it. In the very same panel three Inhumans are struggling to restrain Ronan, lunging for his wife. Next up you've got Ronan screaming at the top of his lungs. Sue turns to Black Bolt. The king is completely indifferent to what just happened.

Similar to the silent issue of F4 after Johnny Storm's death, Hickman and Dragotta really do emotional well.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Len posted:

I was thinking the last page of issue 2 but that one works really well for this thread too. It's my fault for not saying which issue I was reading.
I made an effortpost about Cain and Abel on another forum, I think I can scrounge up that piece and some more if you give me a day.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

This is the scan.

On the leash in that last scan is Goldie, Abel's pet gargoyle. It's named Goldie because all gargoyles must have a name that begins with a G, but Abel likes to pretend its name is Irving instead.

(I made the post about Cain and Abels messed up relationship a good five-six years ago. This was the only image that Imageshack hadn't deleted :sigh: )

EDIT: EArly Sandman, issue #2 perhaps?

E2: Beaten

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

This is the thread for emotional ("touching") comic moments, no one said they'd be emotional in a happy feelz way. Just two pages back is a sequence of a guy and a dog dying alone in a car, chrissakes.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'd say the fifth panel on the page I requested explains it all in elegance. Abel is NOT being killed by Cain on that page. "You musn't kill me! You don't love me! You d-don't even know me!!" Is pretty much Cain-and-Abel.jpg
Yeah, they have an incredibly messed up relationship that goes back to the House of Mystery/Secrets series through the 60's and 70's. Actually a lot of the characters in Sandman harken back to the horror-anthology comics DC put out, like House of Mystery/Secrets, Witching Hour, The Unexpected, Weird Mystery Tales and Secret House of Sinister Love (yes, really). Eve, Fashion Thing/Mad Mod Witch, Cain, Abel, Destiny, Three Witches started out there off the top of my head. Of course, Cain, Abel and Eve weren't THE Cain, Abel and Eve at the time - that came later, with Alan Moore. I'll try to post a scan of that later.

And here's some We3 #2 for you. This part works so well even without context.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

There's been much talk of Cain and Abel lately and I promised to expand on their relationship. As anyone familiar with the characters know, Cain and Abel are brothers who live in the House of Mystery and House of Secrets, respectively. They were hosting the stories in the horror anthology comics eponymous with their respective houses' names. This is from a fill-in issue of Swamp Thing, one of two at the end of Alan Moore's first major storyarc, but I think they knocked it out of the park regardless.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #33: Abandoned Houses

The issue is from late 1984, and Crisis on Infinite Earths is on the Horizon. Abigail Cable has just gotten back from hell after being killed by her uncle, Anton Arcane. Abby dreams.

Abel's mention that "people don't drop by so much" is a nod to House of Secrets being cancelled in 1969, and Mystery in 1983. There are lots of clever things like this in the issue.
Abel then proceeds to tell her the story of Alex Olsen, the Swamp Thing, in an 8-page reprint of House of Secrets #92's original Swamp Thing story.

And that's it! Because Steve Bisette was running late with his artwork, Alan Moore established that Cain and Abel were the Cain and Abel, added a new dimension to their weird relationship and laid very important groundwork for the Sandman! But that's a story for another time.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

After warping into Earth-Prime at the end of the Legion of Three Worlds-story, Superboy-Prime is living in his parents' basement plotting revenge. A Blackest Night crossover sees black lanterns of the people he killed go after Superboy-Prime and after unsuccessfully fighting the Black Lanterns for a while, there's a showdown in his Fortress of Solitude.

Adventure Comics #5

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 9, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

Wow, who wrote that? Superboy sitting in his basement asking the world why DC's writers push him into dumb grimdark bullshit. That's pretty good.
Geoff Johns, writer of Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War and Legion of Three Worlds :v:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That Sandman issue with Prez is loving surreal. It is proof positive that there are no bad characters, only bad writers.
Prez is a national treasure, you philistine.

Yes, that is a legless Dracula assassination attempt at Prez Rickard.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I love Prez dearly, and everything he stands for, but it's hard to read his stories and not feel like you might just be taking some crazy pills. As President he made his doddering mother Martha vice president, and he made his Native American friend, who lives in a cave and never wears a shirt, head of the FBI. One time he fought a team of Soviet chess players run by not-Bobby Fischer.

Five issues and a Supergirl team-up was far less than Prez deserved.
I know what you're saying - I read a translated issue #2 in an anthology and was 100% convinced they botched something in the translation. Nope, it's as impenetrable in english too. Regardless, I'm going to stick to my guns here's - there's no way anyone can tell me that the national guard fistfighting a werewolf for hours atop the white house isn't one of the best if not the best comics moment in the last 40 years.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

In another thread Joe Kelly's JLA #65 was brought up. The story is Batman and Plastic Man team up to help one of Plastic Man's exes, whose kid has fallen in with a gang. It goes less than well, as the kid turns into a bouncy dinosaur and the gang escapes. The world's greatest detective concludes that Plastic Man is the father.

This was probably the first issue of Modern JLA that I read, and it's a great stand-alone, Kelly and Mahnke really sell the characters reactions.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

So wait, am I misinterpreting the page or is that last panel supposed to be Plastic Man disguised as Batman's belt buckle? I thought they just made a big deal about how Plas couldn't change his color.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, and he's got yellow on his costume. He must've just squeezed everything else onto the backside of Batman's belt.

I think McSpanky has the right idea. The only colors Plastic Man can do is his skin color, red, yellow and black.

For about ten years I thought Batman's pause at the last page was hella awkward, but then I noticed what he's doing. He's looking at his belt. Read the sequence again.

"No one cares about me... Not my father. Y-you know who my father is... don't you? You know... She said he's dead, but I know... P-plastic M-man... A-are you friends? Does he... does he know about me?"

The reason Batman is "ahem"-ing and shaking his belt right there is because it's the opportunity for Plastic Man to jump out and hug Luke, and it doesn't looks like it's happening. Batman is not telling Luke "I'll finish this my way", he's telling Plastic Man. Plastic Man blew it, he couldn't "change color" when it counted. Someday maybe, but not today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

There was some Barry Allen talk in the Chat thread. Barry Allen, notable Silver Age stick-in-the-mud, went out saving the entire DC multi-err, quintoverse from the Anti-Monitor's antimatter cannon, becoming DC Comics' first saint in the progress. His protegé, Wally West stepped into his boots and eventually surpassed him. And then Barry Allen came back, sidelined Wally West, killed his own mother and ruined the universe.

Stop! Abort! We're not having any of that today! This is supposed to be a Nice Things Thread for once! Here's an alternate-but-still-canon take on what happened in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8, out of Secret Origins Annual #2! (by Robert L Fleming, Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson)

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 17, 2013