Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The way I see it, it's more like Doom sees the Fantastic Four as his honorable opponents/rivals. Reed is his to defeat, but he doesn't go around punching babies or something. Unless you're Mark Waid, but while I loved his run otherwise the dude fully admitted he preferred the idea of Doom as a horrible monster and went out of his way to make him one again. Doom plays his entire thing like he's a king and the universe's inhabitants are his subjects, whether they know it or not, and Reed is the only man who he even acknowledges is worthy of his notice and actual attention. Reed's the closest thing he thinks of as an equal (though of course, still far, far beneath Doom), and that creates a certain form of attachment and twisted affection for him and his family.

Johnny died, and Doom is the type who sees himself above such petty things as villainy. He's here to mourn, too, and he's not going to be so lowbrow as to chuckle and throw it in Reed's face. That's not what a true king would do, he would mourn the loss of one of his greatest subjects, and the death of a worthy foe. At least, in Doom's eyes.

Later, there will be time for plotting and revenge and defeating that accursed Richards. Now is the time for silence.

(I'm sure a million counterpoints could be made and panels posted, but I'm just going off the general idea of what Doom is in instances like this)

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I legitimately want someone to respond to "Don't make me angry..." with "I would PREFER you to be angry, at least the Hulk is less melodramatic!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It didn't have jokes!

This may just be hyperbole, but I remember reading that they brought in Richard Pryor specifically because they thought they could just turn the camera on him, and he would improvise the movie into hilarity.

The problem was, it turned out that Pryor was a super big fan of Superman, and didn't want to upset his chance to be in a Superman movie, along with being nervous, and thus played the entire thing as straight and safe as possible.

Again, possibly hyperbole.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

WB is going to be 100% conservative as gently caress about the way they portray Wonder Woman for a long time. Mostly because she's literally the only female character they have that anyone gives a gently caress about other than Harley Quinn.

Quinn can be queer, but Wonder Woman has to exemplify all of the "publicly acceptable" standards of the Big Three because she falls into the three acceptable archetypes for them:

American Man
Brooding Man
Girl

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I will always love that canonically, people still remember Demon King Piccolo and what he looked like, and people still remember what happened at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Despite all that, at this point Piccolo just walks into town, picks up his god-granddaughter, and has pleasant conversations with her teacher in broad daylight. Everyone is fine with this.

Dragon Ball is the only series willing to do stuff like this and not have it come off as a parody or a complete joke. It's the best.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Toryiama doesn’t write the manga? It’s some other guy. Toryiama provided plot outlines but he wasn’t involved in the day to day as far as I’m aware

Toriyama worked closely with Toyotaro on the Super manga, and was known to adjust scripts and jokes and such. He was absolutely directly involved with the manga. Less so the Super anime series, though he directly scripted the Broly and Super Hero movies.