Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Including (maybe especially) OTHER SHARKS!!

Sharks eats each other while they're in the womb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Saga #54:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gavok posted:

Yeah, but the last run's end really did go too far with it. Duggan had a good mix of happy and sad stuff happening to Deadpool

I liked it, but Duggan's run was basically this:

One story starts with Deadpool making fun of Sabretooth's hair and ends with Deadpool killing his parents and burning their house down

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Breetai posted:

Some people watched Superman III uncritically or in their formative years without realising it was a comedy.

Shouldn't a comedy be funny?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

It had Richard Pryor!
It didn't have jokes!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The X-Men is basically creep cenyral. The moment young Jean entered old Cyclops started to hit on her for example.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It should be noted that Rogue is currently a statue.
A thing that can happen if you let Beast "help" you

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That didn't actually happen. Emma Frost made an accusation about it.

Kitty explicitly banned him from being alone with her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

To be fair there is a deeply creepy scene earlier in All-New I found where Beast is ogling young Jean and thinking how beautiful she is, which is how she deduces that young Hank is also in love with her. I don't know why she was reading old Hank's mind and not young Hank's to begin with but whatever. It's a gross scene. You can check it out in All-New X-Men #15 if you really want to, an otherwise really lovely issue with great David Lafuente pencils.

Beast is the loving worst:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What the christ

Claremont.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Wow strong Pence and Trump vibes.

It would be like if Trump asked the mexicans to build his wall and promised Ivanka Trump as payment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

The Danish Valhalla comic also gets into those (judging by the wikipedia article about it, since I've never read a one of 'em), as well as Thor and Loki at Utgard-Loki's castle, which is probably my favorite Thor tale I've heard so far.

The Valhalla comic is really good, partly because it doesn't shy away from the fact that the norse gods were stupid assholes:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

poly and open-minded posted:

iirc some of the Aesir just seeming like drunk rear end in a top hat idiots all the time may also be because a lot of the stories we get are from post-Christian influence, where pagan gods were made to be mocked and reviled but that may just be some post doc thesis.
That doesn't seem to be the case with Snorre Sturlason though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He wrote it with respect for the takes he grew up with but he was still born almost 200 years after Iceland converted to Christianity so there was plenty of time for oral tradition to warp the original stories.

No doubt. Some even thinks he based the myth of ragnarok on the christian apocalypse and not on norse myths.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

It is worth remembering many polytheist gods were depicted as assholes for a variety of reasons, partially to make them easier to sympathize with from a fallible mortal perspective, partially to get around the problem of evil. If the gods weren't perfect, then there was no need to think about why we didn't live in a perfect world.
People also liked funny stories, even back then. Especially funny stories sbout authorities like the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goatface posted:

You get lots of stuff that looks weird to modern eyes in the Sagas and monastic writings of the time. I'm sure I remember some hagiographic lineage of a king who converted to Christianity still including the whole "descended from the old gods" part.

Constantine the Great who had a vision of Jesus appearing in his dreams didn't convert to christianity before he was on his deathbed. Then you have Rollo who gave silver to the church and warriors to Odin to ensure that he either got into paradise or valhall when he died.