Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You need the last page with the hill and the flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

Please stop this argument about how invincible/moral Superman is.

While JMS' Supes run before the reboot was pretty terrible, Chris Roberson (who took over the book after JMS was kicked off it) managed to save it by making it about Supes dealing with depression. There's some great panels in there where Clark's friends and family meet up with him and let him know how much they care about him. There's a great 'first meeting' story with Bruce and Clark pre-costume defending Xanadu (I think) from Savage. I don't have it on hand, but if anyone could post some from Roberson's run I'd appreciate it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Superman doesn't lie.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That's actually really loving solid sci-fi.

Weird to have it come from a franchise designed to sell toys.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

purple death ray posted:

That is some Geoff Johns bullshit right there yall

Who reads comics for the decapitations?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Test Pattern posted:

Basically all they kept of comics-Bucky is the name, branch of service, and that he died in the war. Seriously. Movie-Bucky looks like, has the backstory of, is the age of, and in all other respects IS Arnie Roth.

Gay. :kimchi:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

i wondered what you meant, then I realized I didn't notice the imgur link on a mobile phone amd only looked at the one page without context, haha. Turns out the full thing was just innocently cloying.

Sandman #75, the final issue of the series where Shakespeare is writing Tempest on commission from Dream, is one of my favourite comics. it's good because how it uses history and fantasy to presents the crushing yet utterly mundane tragedy of William Shakespeare's life in such a convincing manner. It might be the height of Gaiman's writing as a whole, really.

(I like the detail that the Endless in the background is usually relevant to what Shakespeare is talking about)

I agree with this. The Sandman comic hits and hits hard, on real, true regrets and wondering that anyone could feel. You can project your own musings in place of Shakespeare's, easily. The Spider-Man story is more 'everyone around Peter Parker must suffer to make him feel bad and the reader feel bad for him.'
But then again, Spider-Man is written for children. Telling the same story over again is no sin when new children are your target audience.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Manchildren are well-named.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How did that Damian turn into the little poo poo from the games?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Infinitum posted:

This is unironically why manga is a great counterpart to comics, because once a series ends they don't reboot the drat thing and there's not 7 different series of the same character.
Like the genre def has it's own trope issues, but it's nice to not have to worry about whether or not a character stays dead :v:

wrt to Cap, I feel like he's a difficult character to handle if you're going to pull the "No ma'am I come from a simpler time where we stand up for what's right" card; and it's probably a very fine line to walk between making it sound poignant and making him sound like an idiot.

I suddenly understand why the Fate series is so big for western audiences now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Milotic posted:

Cleopatra in Space? Does she eventually get killed by an asperoid?

My wife is so mad at me right now.
Thank you for this terrible joke.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress Athens?

Remember Athens was really one of the first attempts at this whole society thing so they made a lot of dumb choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skwirl posted:

So did I.

Fun fact: There's a panel of Batman decking some mook while sitting in this chair.