Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

amplifier worship posted:

I hate to be the voice of dissent, and I'll probably get poo poo on for this, but as much as many of the panels in this thread have been heart-rendingly emotional, I felt like that last one was very painfully contrived and overdone. You are all well entitled to be moved by it, and I mean, poo poo, if it moves you, it moves you, but this one really stands out to me as being a really over-the-top, intentional tear-jerker. Maybe I'm just a tad jaded, and I've definitely not been following X-Men (I had no idea angel and psylocke were a thing) but that seemed pretty disingenuous.

It's the payoff for the Angel/Psylocke dynamic that's been running throughout the current run of Uncanny X-Force (and in some ways, the entirety of the Psylocke/Warren relationship since they kicked it off in the mid-90s somewhere). Taken bereft of any kind of context, of course it feels over-the-top - but within the context that's been built up over the last however-the-hell long it's been - and at minimum the 18 issues of X-Force, so a good year and a half right there - it's ridiculously effective and fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Thori is gonna die fighting Surtur.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD

:ohdear:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

I started trying to type out my favorite sentimental moments in Starman and then realized I had too many.

edit: also, it's great that Jack as a character feels like a reaction to the gritty awfulness of costume comics at the time, and points it out to Batman directly in the comic, but Batman is still written respectably even if he is shown extra-abrasive. It feels along the lines of Ennis showing Superman respect when using him in Hitman.

I think the most telling moment in Robinson's Starman is when Jack - at his father's urging - finally decides he's going to have to do the Starman thing, but then promptly turns around and yells at his Dad for having discovered an incredible clean energy source and using it solely to fight crime. Paraphrasing, he says something along the lines of "you should have been building power plants, Dad, or clean cars. So that's the deal - you do all of that stuff, and I'll be Starman."

Because in a way it's an echo of the age-old problem with any superhero comic that involves Comic Book Science - eventually every reader gets around to wondering "why does the comics universe resemble our universe at all with all this super-tech?" We know it's so that the comics remain vaguely relatable, but that answer never sits well. So with that speech to Ted Knight, Jack was asking the same sorts of questions that we, the readers, ask - and we immediately felt a kinship with him as a result.

All of which serves to make the eventual appearance of Ted Knight's Flying Car - which I cannot seem to find an image of which makes me sad because it's gorgeous - that much sweeter.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

prefect posted:

How many of those guys have faked their death at one point or another?

Every single one of them has been "dead" at some point, whether deliberately faking their own death or being thought dead by others. Every. Single. One.

Pretty sure that's why there was no bitching.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

This conversation happens every time a comics character and atheism get brought up at the same time, but...

If you can go visit God, the way Reed has done (several times), then God becomes knowable, measurable, understandable. He becomes a thing that can be understood, that falls within the realms of Science. He's no longer an article of faith - he's quantifiable. He may be, therefore, a god - but he cannot be God, in the sense that we think of Him. You can accept the existence of supremely powerful entities without necessarily buying into the religion that features them.

Anyways, that's how I rationalize it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

That explanation is "Miracles and magic and souls and all that poo poo is real", is the thing. The fact you can sell your apparently very real soul to a being where it will go to a reality to suffer for all time because of it isn't meaningfully altered because you don't want to say "Hell" or "demon" or "soul". It's still true, and quantifiable. You could say 'alternate plane of existence" and "alien" and all it does is make you look like a douchebag when you have to tell people "So yeah, there appears to be a system for determining some sort of objective morality, and if you transgress against that system you will suffer for eternity in h...an alternate reality tormented by de....aliens".

What an awesome win for secularism!

Thing is, we don't typically see - in the Marvel Universe - people sent to Hell (any of the many, many Hells) for being bad. It's implied here and there, but as a general rule the people we see sent to Hell get sent there because they made deals with demons. Even Dr. Doom's mother ended up in Hell because she cut a deal with Mephisto. poo poo, some of the dudes that do that get superpowers (see Blaze, Johnny). The "objective morality" you're referring to appears to be "don't sell your soul and you're fine," which isn't exactly the kind of tenet one builds a religion on.

It's not hard to say "there are extradimensional beings who can lay claim to some aspect of your consciousness, which the more mystically-inclined might call 'souls,' but that doesn't mean we need the carrot of Heaven and the stick of Hell to guide our activities, and it doesn't mean we need to buy into the trappings of any given religion." Which would appear to be Reed's point of view.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I really do think - still - that Fraction's F4 suffers by comparison with Hickman's run - not just because Hickman's run was so good (it was) but because Fraction's run, like many of the books that came about as a result of the Marvel NOW! relaunch, had to aggressively try to do something different. To follow up an iconic Captain America run by Ed Brubaker, Rick Remender said "I'm not going to fall into the trap of trying to match Ed's book, it will never happen; I'm going to have to do something different," and that's how we get Cap in Dimension Z.

Similarly, Fraction had to look at Hickman's run and say "Ain't no way I'm topping that, or even matching it, so instead of a big, sprawling epic story I'm going to do my best to aggressively pare the book down to its very basics - the Fantastic Four and their kids having Adventures." And they're not bad per se - it's just that they're so stripped-down that they don't develop the kind of emotional resonance Hickman's book had. He's telling stories that are meant to be fun instead of meaningful, and sometimes he pulls it off and sometimes he doesn't... but after the emotional powerhouse that was Hickman's run, the reader feels like something is missing.

Then, as a counterpoint, Fraction also gets to write FF - where, since he's using lesser characters and has a lot more creative freedom, he can do pretty much whatever he wants, and so that's the book with the emotional heft - and the better stories, sometimes, because FF isn't overshadowed by Hickman's run - it's so different from what has come before that it isn't overshadowed by poo poo, so there's more freedom to take chances and have fun... plus with Mike Allred playing into the aesthetic of the book the way he does you get a much more freewheeling, independent title.

That's a lot of words that basically mean "Fraction's F4 isn't as good as it could be, but I don't think the fault is Fraction's so much as it is the situation he got the book in. But FF is awesome and everyone should read it."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Or is it Sputnik posted:

(All from Incredible Hulk #380)

I remember reading this issue as a kid and being irritated at what I thought was an obvious inventory issue. Then reading it again a few years later and being blown away by the fact that it was actually really bloody good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Cabbit posted:

How do you mean?

I'm guessing he means in the sense of "That... that doesn't sound like a superhero declaration of love, David, that sounds like a supervillain declaration of love, what the hell are you talking about?" That's my guess.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

gfanikf posted:

From an April 1950 PSA in a Superman Issue
Truth, Justice, and The American Way.
http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17533/KNOW-YOUR-PUBLIC-SERVICE-ANNOUNCEMENT-ADS#.UdG7DPnVAWZ

I... wait a second, is this thing saying that Jimmy Olsen was at Iwo Jima?!?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

McCloud posted:

I thought this moment was a bit sweet from this weeks All New X-men, since Alex and the present Scott haven't exactly been close. Was a chance to feel like he had a normal relationship with his brother for once.

I actually really liked that moment - that Young Scott has enough empathy to see how disappointed Alex is at the way his relationship with his brother has gone, and to do something about it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ManiacClown posted:

What happened to Bentley? Why is he now in a wheelchair and (apparently) his mid-twenties?

That's Dr. Karl Malus, new Frightful Four member.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah... you could make an argument for 'badass', certainly, but a page of Crystal crying and then Sue scowling at creepy Black Bolt isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

You don't see regret, there, in Black Bolt? The fact that he's looking down, his eyes hidden in the shadow of his brow? The tension in his shoulders, the set of his jaw? This is a man who has just had to shred the happiness of his sister-in-law, a man who agreed to do that because that is what his duty as a King compels him to do - he hates that he's done it, but he's had to, and by God he's going to have to find a way to live with it. He'll be hated for it, he'll be thought cold and heartless for it, but he'll take that hate, because he is a King, and a King must be more than just a man.

That's what I get from that page, personally; I thought it was probably Draghotta's finest work on the book. The reader (this reader, anyways) feels for Black Bolt, knowing that if he were only a man, if the entire future of the Inhumans did not rest solely with him, he would deny the Supreme Intelligence and allow Crystal and Ronan to be happy - but he does not have that luxury. Nor does he have the luxury of feeling guilt. He is a King, and concerns like "happiness" and "true love" are concerns for men, not Kings.

...that was my takeaway from that issue, anyways.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It totally comes across as patronizing. There's no way Superman actually thinks that fat guy could make a difference at all if something happened. He's just saying that to be nice, like he thinks the guy is too stupid to realize that Superman could neutralize any threat before he even knows something's wrong.

What a prick.

I'm sorry that you are dead inside.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure he will be writing USM until they completely cancel it, or he dies. I'm not sure which is going to happen first.

I'm betting he won't, actually; I get the impression that his Giant Epic Run (tm) on Avengers basically took the blush off the rose for long-term engagements in a shared universe. He can have USM because it's his, that's become an intensely personal book... but Avengers was never really 'his,' he had to share those characters and that setting and that world. And the X-books have the same issue.

It is possible that I am a hopeless optimist.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

From Deadpool's wedding in Deadpool #27.

Frank's happy :unsmith:

Are we sure that's Frank? I mean... a tie? I thought it looked more Hammerhead, personally.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

At least you get a bird going across.

...I never actually noticed the bird before. Nice eye.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Blackwatch also said a superhero 'attacked' him and he fought back, so they were cheating a little there.

Superheroes attack each other all the time, usually just prior to teaming up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's right up there with tactile telekinesis.

And almost certainly from the same source, as "let's make Superman's powers make sense" was kind of a thing there for a little while before everyone realized it was dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

The other guy seemed not to understand why Thor might name his first 2 humans Jane and Steve, pointing it out seems pretty obvious. It's not like the Norse All-Father nee God of Thunder would give a poo poo about English translations of the Bible.

:thejoke:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is Numinus an established cosmic entity, or is this her first appearance?

Also, what is the Captain Marvel thing where she's kneeling over the corpse? That's the only event I don't know.

(Thank you for posting these panels, by the way. I just picked up all four issues and I love them.)

That's not Captain Marvel; it's Phoenix-Cyclops kneeling over Dead Professor X.

e: Also apparently Numinus first showed up in Power Pack. Check here for more info, inclusing her amazingly hilarious original appearance; I think Disney Princessifying her was definitely the way to go.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'd been really enjoying this issue of Grayson, and then I got to that bit. And then it stopped being good and became brilliant.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jetfire posted:

It used to be on his original toy. I've always just assumed it was a flourish on real-world P-38 pistols.

Behold the glory that is the original Megatron toy:

E: At least I think it's the original toy; Transformers toy history is mindbogglingly complex

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is a lovely looking robot, but a fairly decent gun.

Before 'Transformers' was a thing, that toy was a thing in Japan with a name I can never remember that transformed into a gun - as pictured - designed to resemble Ilya Kuryakin's weapon from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., which I always thought was neat - that a cartoon I loved as a kid had a (tenuous, admittedly) link to a TV show that my Mom loved when she was a kid.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Infinitum posted:

"And how will you be paying for all these alarms sir?"
WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Luckily the hardware store owner, being Not An Idiot, has insurance that covers superhero-related damages - as basically every insurance policy in a comicbook universe must allow.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

... when did that issue come out, relative to the first issue of Astro City?

"I slow down for a moment to let the little girl see me, so that she knows it's all right... and it almost costs a man in Boston his life."

Astro City #1 was in August '95; Kingdom Come was in May '96. Too close to really say one was influenced by the other, IMHO; the notion of "how does Superman prioritize" and the like isn't exactly a new one.

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was another comic. I feel like it was an Alan Moore (or a writer like him) that put a Superman-level character in a world full of ungrateful jerks. He eventually snaps, as they always do.

Nah, that was Astro City vol. 1 #1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It's funny, because right wing loons hate the government. I guess that's why his old buddies felt betrayed. It almost makes me feel bad for the government, the right wing occupying your buildings, the left wing calling you baby killers that needs to be dismantled, jeez, rough job.

The disgruntled ex-sidekicks went by, appropriately enough, Right-Winger and Left-Winger.

One of Super-Patriot's sidekicks (the Bold Urban Commandos, or 'BUCkies,' just to piss off Cap some more) got to go with him when he became Captain America, though; Lemar Hoskins became the government's new Bucky, partner to Cap... right up until Marvel got some letters explaining that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have a black man called Bucky - or for that matter anything that's easily shortened to "Buck," which is kind of a loaded term when it comes to African-Americans, especially down south. Mark Gruenwald had never heard the term, and reportedly felt really lovely about that; they renamed the character Battlestar.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's an issue of the period where Walker is Cap where he fights a group of mutants. I cannot remember the group's name for the life of me, but their uniforms were yellow and they all had power, obviously.

And the narrative through the whole fight, is that the telepath of the team can't help as she watches her team get massacred, because, and no poo poo, this is true, Walker is an unthinking fighting machine. He mows through them like a loving chainsaw. It turned me off of Captain America for a while, even as a kid. It took Mark Waid to bring me back.That was when I realized the point of Cap: not to be a walking weapon, but to be a human ideal for Americans to aspire to.

The Resistants, who formed in opposition to the Mutant Registration Act - an act which Steve Rogers as Cap had actually publicly spoken against, which is part of the reason the Commission on Superhuman Activities was pissed at him and willing to replace him with John Walker. They were originally called Mutant Force, which is a terrible loving name. That telepath was going by Think-Tank at the time, but is probably better known as minor super-baddie Mentallo.

(my favorite thing about John Walker is that when the government made him USAgent they originally declared John Walker to be dead - they faked his assassination by a Watchdog, the guys who lynched his parents - to set him up with a new identity, which is how Johnnie Walker got his name changed to Jack Daniels)

EDIT: (Oh and P.S. they also hypnotized him into believing his parents were still alive)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 25, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Oh my god you werent kidding. Also

"...later abandoned his identity due to Red Skull's manipulation of the Commission on Superhuman Activities.[6] Walker took the role as Captain America, moderating his views. The man who would later become Battlestar served as his Bucky. The other two BUCs became Left-Winger and Right-Winger.[7][8]"

It's like Golden Age Superman. Some poo poo you don't need to make up, because the poo poo that actually happened is stranger.

(I actually really dug that entire era of Cap, Gruenwald had some really interesting stories to tell, but damned if every name he ever came up with wasn't entirely on the nose)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's pretty facile for a Spider-Man comic talk about what a great hero it's brand name represents.

The fact that "look how great our brand is" is your primary takeaway from that story is... yeah, that's sort of sad. Are you Darren Rovell?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

If people like his comic books I highly recommend the novel King wrote a couple of years ago, A Once Crowded Sky.

Holy poo poo yes this book was good

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Why is Video Game Adaptation Injustice better than mainline DC?

A. it's being created by some people who are actually quite good, and B. they're beholden solely to the continuity that exists in a fairly-continuity-light video game series. They couldn't kill off, say, Superman (because he's in the game, you see), but beyond that they have a degree of freedom that just can't really exist within a mainline continuity - not least of which because it can be the vision of a singular group of creators rather than the continuity-by-committee approach that comics is necessarily forced into. There's no one else around to say "wait I have it I'm gonna make Guy Gardner a genocidal maniac too" that they have to accomodate.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"Tattoos guaranteed to not get you laid!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah the first stretch of Injustice was pretty poo poo, but that's because it was saddled with the mandate of "set up the plot to the videogame."

Once that was out of the way the book got a chance to stretch its wings and just do its own thing, and it has become glorious.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't really see Logan spending much time decorating, either, so it was probably a gift from an acquaintance that he just never bothered to throw out.

It was probably a gag gift from Nightcrawler or something

Alternatively, it is an actual stuffed pelican that he bagged while hunting with Ernest Hemingway

(Wolverine hung out with Ernest Hemingway, look it up)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

gently caress off with this.
E: Seriously, exact same as in the Badass Panels thread, almost a month of no activity whatsoever and as soon as someone does actually post, the nasally whine of "ewww maangaaa". You weren't posting content, either! Shut the gently caress up!

I suggest a rule of "If you're gonna complain about the content someone else provided you can drat well provide some content of your own that you think is better"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gologle posted:

Wait does that mean Tigra's son is a shapeshifter?

Tigra's son is a toddler, so it's probably a little soon to tell

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

When did Franklin's powers first manifest?

At a pretty young age! OTOH Franklin's been explicitly referred to as kind of a special case.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I liked Morrison's run since it felt like it had good ideas on how to steer the X-Men. Mutants were a growing population and developing their own culture, Jean fully embraced her powers and role as the new leader of the X-Men, Xavier being outed as a Mutant and having to deal with the fallout, Mutations either not being super useful or making you look hosed up, Scott and Emma's chemistry and them getting together.

It just sucks some of that got walked back by the following runs. :sigh:

some of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Hickman's run is fantastic, what are you guys smoking.

:same: