Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is an acknowledged tendency for superheroes to reflect the cultural preoccupations of their country of origin. A country is a powerful thing, and the depiction of powerful characters like superheroes, in aggregate, can indicate how a country feels about power - typically its own power.

Superman is American, not because he was raised in Kansas but because he was invented and refined by American writers, and sold primarily to American readers, who all see the world from the various specific perspectives of Americans (and to a lesser extent inhabitants of countries with similar or compatible perspectives). Stories about him often reveal the aspirations and anxieties of (or about) the American zeitgeist, and they do so more accurately when he is not intentionally being used as a metaphor to represent America.

That kind of allegory is much more difficult for an individual writer telling a single story than for scores of them distilling the essence of the icon over eighty years, and superhero comics aren't known for always attracting top-quality talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Joe Shuster was CANADIAN.

He lived in the US from the age of 9 until he died. Time enough to go native.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Superman & Spider-Man, Dr. Doom creates an infinite clean renewable energy source sufficient to power the entire world. The same device also destroys all other fuel sources and, as a side effect, all modern weapons. He says that the hard part wasn't inventing it, but deploying dozens of these reactors around the world without anybody noticing. He spent "many billions" on this project, so that once he activates it, the world would no alternative to but to make him their king.

In All-Star Superman, Superman tells Lex Luthor "You could've saved the world years ago if it mattered to you, Luthor." Supervillains don't want to make the world a better place - that's why they're supervillains in the first place.

More generally, a problem with shared comic book universes is that every time somebody makes the world noticeably better than the real world, some other character's problems stop making sense and it becomes that much more difficult to go on selling stories about them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Truly, you are judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to looking at a comic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Considering Beta Ray Bill beat the crap out of Thor before he got his hammer, I'm guessing he sees the Asgard as just another race of highly advanced aliens.

Depending on the author, sometimes Thor can just go visit an afterlife if he wants (his niece runs one), and other times it's as much a mystery to him as it is to humans.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Okay.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't keep track of any of those drat robots from panel to panel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not a matter of recognizing them from outside the comic, but of recognizing them from within it. They all have very busy designs and mostly similar silhouettes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Contrary to mythologizing, most of the participants in the American revolution were regular soldiers, not guerrillas.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cancer is being written as a villain, and is immortal for the same reason other villains are immortal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Imagine a "clink" sound effect when they kiss through their masks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

X-O posted:

I honestly am beginning to wonder if people are just posting really bad pages in some ironic fashion or what. I mean the stuff I keep seeing is the subtle as a hammer to the forehead type of moralizing. Now if it's a parody of that kind of thing and I'm missing context that's key to picking it up then there might be something interesting there.

The series is black comedy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cartoon only works if they were on the same side anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stinky cheese.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As I recall, it was Sue who called him that at first, and then he agreed and took up the name himself.

I wish writers would write Reed as a good person more often than they do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sexual Lorax posted:

Well I'll be gosh darned. I knew it was backwards, but I was under the impression it was backwards from the performers' point of view. I learned something today. :science:

There's "stage" left and right, and "house" left and right, indicating the perspective.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not uncommon, but not good either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Madkal posted:

Looks like she told everyone. Still a good page

No, the idea is lots of people asked Spider-Man the same question.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Donald Duck comics were very popular and well-regarded in the US up through the 60s or 70s, though they were written and drawn by someone other than the various European ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No wizard would ever admit that they had no better options even when they truly did have no better options.