Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not a comic panel but comic related and Touching/inspiring
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435812&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's funny I saw that thread in GBS and didn't read because I wasn't in a mood for more bad news, and it turns out I needn't have worried. That was really nice to see.

Also as an aside, I really enjoy this thread and wish I could contribute something to it but I don't really have anything. I seem to recall there being some great Top 10 moments, but I gave mine away to a friend (to get them into comics, which worked by the way), does anyone have anything from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is touching and inspiring to me because Joe Kubert died today:

If you really wanted to include all the characters he worked on that panel would be substantially larger. A class act, and a great talent.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've met Sergio Aragonés a few times and he's the same way. I hope this new generation of comic guys know the standards they have to live up to.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't post it, mostly because it would have to be the entire issue, but Lil Gotham #3 qualifies for this thread. It's about Mr Freeze and yeah... it's just a good thing I was chopping onions next to a windy fan while I had sand in my eyes is all I'm sayin.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow that was frankly... two hours of terrible. Who'd they get for Joker? Cheech Marin?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Familiar to many, but just read the whole thing instead of skipping over it from familiarity like I do:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

team overhead smash posted:

Because Captain Marvel was lame and no-one cared.

Is that actually true? I realize he was a 'cosmic' character and those guys were poo poo on, but even as a kid (I was 8 when the issue came out) I thought that 'holy cow this fucker is capital D-E-A-D. No way they bring that back.' I also had a potty-mouth as a kid.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What's interesting about it too is how much we've codified internally about super heroes. Of course the blond, handsome guy, suit-wearing guy with an ambiguous name is going to be the hero. Of course the homeless bum with 'black' in his name is going to be the villain (not black in the racial sense but more in how it's considered foreboding). All these little rules and assumptions we've absorbed subconsciously.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Should be Smith smiling and then the mustache falls off and he's sad Smith

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Powers is full of it too. Mostly with the forensics guy

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Whatever happened to Pete Ross anyway? It feels like he kinda got left out development wise compared to the other small-town chars

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd agree he has odd motivations. Usually his crimes aren't for money, instead being some other reason. This is actually true of a quite a few batman bad guys, off the cuff it seems like these motivations are most prevalent (in my opinion):
- Penguin: Money/Weakening an opponent in the world of organized crime
- Joker: Attacking Batman/the sane world/Chaos. Generally not in it for the money
- Two Face: Duality, and sometimes money/influence depending on the writer? This is the one I feel I have the least handle on
- Riddler: Showing people how smart he is
- Clayface: Getting money for a cure for his condition? He's apparently a good guy now
- Croc: Generally doesn't plan/commit crimes of his own other than those of opportunity or revenge
- Freeze: Nora/His continued existence
- Hatter: Weird creepy poo poo involving an Alice/Money(?)/Because he's bored?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SonicRulez posted:

I recall a page I saw with Groot where, for reasons I do not understand, he reflected on all of the great moments in Marvel history. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can they point me toward the panels?

Maybe Groot#4 where the alien asks him if the universe is worth saving?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ashcans posted:

Wouldn't that apply to Superman, too? He's not actually superpowered, he's just a regular Kryptonian, it's just that all Kryptonians are awesome when on Earth, right?

Although I recognize that depowering people like Flash and Black Canary and leaving Superman/Supergirl fine wouldn't really work.

Edit: Wait, why would Green Lantern be depowered? He's not superpowered himself, he just has a device that provides him with access to Lantern abilities, it's basically just a super-cool space utility belt, right? If he loses it or it runs out of juice he's just a dude.

Yeah I think you're stumbling onto maybe why this story wasn't the most well liked, and man you're only scratching the surface.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, Smax, none of that is mentioned in the main series

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Synthbuttrange posted:

BTFP is garbo

Same, fam.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Benito Cereno posted:

Furthest Precinct is bad, but Top Ten Season Two is really good, even though it got cut short. It was written by Zander Cannon, who did the layouts for the main series and drew the Smax series, and who has since done some rad books like Heck and Kaijumax.

I believe he also got an early debut with NEC with his Chainsaw Vigilante character. I was kind of amazed when Top Ten came out and was all like "wait THAT Zander Cannon??"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Other notes:
B has metal detectors in front of the door
C has Farewell to Arms front and center which probably means something
D has a silhouette of a shooter in the hall

I thought there was going to be something hidden in each but if there is I can't see it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not going to speak to the old USG art, but the new is leaving me cold. It feels like a robot was shown how to draw Archie comics and turned loose on it. Bizarrely this only seems to happen with the "normal" cast, Kraven, Brain Drain, Spider Man etc all looked fine to me.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I like all comics.

Except country and rap

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm kind of surprised Tigra was referenced post secret invasion at all I thought she was consigned to the Bad Ideas pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bagpuss is where it's at.