Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Hitman 52

Gotta include the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

This is why I love '90s Cap. It's fashionable today to make him into a relic of WWII Bombastic America with full-blown jingoism. But when Gruenwald was writing him, you got a well-balanced patriotism combined with a real sense of love for the country and what it could be..and how it was a battle for a delicate soul instead of mindless mottos shouted over and over again.

Its only Ultimate Cap thats like that. 616 is still balanced.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

I thought that scene was kinda unfair. It cheery picks the worst cases, exaggerated them to the extreme, and ignores everything else.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

This reply isn't directed at you specifically, it's just a convenient quote to respond from.

My parents delivered every comic I bought from my comic collecting youth last week. I got into comics in '91 and I got out in '93. It is three long boxes of 100% of what's described in Dark Age.

"Well, you just had lovely taste!"

Yes. I was 12 - 14 years old. I was also the center of the bullseye for all comics marketing! All the industry told me about were X-Men, crossovers, deaths, #1s, and swimsuit issues. Obviously, good comics were made then. No one is disputing that! Alan Moore's Supreme is just the tip of that excellent iceberg!

But don't pretend it's a case of "cherry picking" to point out that the majority of corporate output in those days was hilariously desperate poo poo to cash in on the speculation and xtreme bubbles. DC's strategy was literally to do anything to get big buzz in Wizard Magazine. Think about that for a minute.

I would love to have lived through the '90s comics renaissance some of you guys imagine to have existed. It sounds great.

New Warriors v1, and Morrison's JLA,

Slightly more seriously, the first time through I didn't catch that that story was supposed to be a narrow criticism of the 90s 'Dark Ages', and more a criticism of all comics post-Crisis or so through to today. Which is a small step from "All comics today suck, except this one!", which wasn't the intent.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Its not domination, but considering that garden was unsustainable without the bad-guys who were providing it, the garden would create dependence.