Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I spent a bit of time talking with Bendis for awhile back when he was that indie guy making some comic about superhero detectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bown posted:

Is Hickman's run over yet, and if so what issues of what series' are part of it? I loved what I read of it a lot.
Nope, still going.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

That's really sweet but ... grunge is retro now? Time to throw out my Nirvana t-shirt, I guess. Or at least start wearing it "ironically".
I hate to say it, but yeah, something that's over 20 years old at this point qualifies as retro. At least as far as fashion goes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

We have QR code covers now, they're a lot cooler.

At least they're not MS's QR code knockoff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barbe Rouge posted:

Just to make sure I understood this issue right:
The Loki we've known so far in Journey is gone and the old Loki has taken over his mind?
That's how it appears, but it's Loki we're talking about, so we honestly won't know until there's an obvious heel turn, which will either be once Gillen's completely done writing him or immediately after.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinaman7000 posted:

Woah, Secret Avengers seems pretty good. That may be the first time I've felt Captain Britain had strong, unique, and interesting voice. Art looks gritty but really perfect for that mood.

Has it always been that good? Most of what I've caught about the series was during AvX and was not that interesting.
Remender's run was pretty good throughout, but not as good as his X-Force run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Well, Grant didn't exactly have a choice at that point--that's how Superman was, full stop. He still managed to utilize his new power set in ways no one else came close to. Electric Blue Superman was a dumb DC thing, but that was a line-wide decree, and not even Grant Morrison is immune to editorial noogies.
Apparently the Superman office complained that electric Superman's powers didn't work that way, to which Grant replied "They never explained to me how they did work." (Paraphrased, of course.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Which belies a direct non-understanding of the basic fundamental relationship between electricity and magnetism. If Supes can still go super fast but now has electrical powers, then he most certainly CAN create a magnetic pole around the moon.
The problem with this argument is that superheroes violate pretty much every law of physics there is, so there's no reason to believe this one would be any different.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes and read Lucifer

I want to except for the whole DC trade department is terrible and it's going out of print.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

New larger collections are on the way. Vol.1 is out June 4th.

Yeah but this is DC which means they will do 1-3 then stop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fraction's F4 is right about on par with Dwayne McDuffie's run in that it's perfectly fine, but nothing special except that Fraction doesn't have the handicap of being shoved in the middle of a bunch of universe-wide crossovers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

I seem to remember Countdown had a segment where Red Hood found a world where Batman went into Frank Castle mode after the Death in the Family situation. But I barely read that series, so I don't know the details.
I still wish you had done your Countdown in Reverse articles.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

I love how the Richards kids don't even blink at Ben crashing through the wall while they eat lunch.

I like how they actually look like kids.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

d00gZ posted:

That's the *one* issue of Hickman's F4/FF run I didn't like.
Yep. That *really* rubbed me the wrong way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oh drat, crying a little. I have a real soft spot for cats, and I never got to say goodbye to my beloved cat who I had had since third grade. He was about 17 years old, diabetic, and infirm in other ways, and my parents had to put him to sleep while I was away at school. To avoid upsetting me, they didn't tell me until I returned home for Thanksgiving that year.

I've never been able to have another cat due to roommates and apartment leases and now my wife, who is deathly allergic, but I still think about him every day. He was white like Fuzzball, too.
Sounds like it's time for a divorce.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aaron's been working towards this since basically the start. I remember either an interview or letters page or something where he said the Bamfs aren't what they seem and that he'd explore them later on. And now here we are!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bown posted:

So what writers/runs are popular on other comic forums? Do they just constantly post about Deadpool and poo poo?
Geoff Johns, Jeph Loeb, David Finch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So uh, there's a grim, serious Archie zombie comic?
Yes, and it's good, so you should read it. It's called Afterlife with Archie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday was 70. Today was 35. Shut up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Superman is also Clark Kent, an award-winning reporter. If Superman had a twitter, you can believe that everything on it would be worth reading. Who wouldn't follow his feed?
It's pretty funny sometimes, actually.

https://twitter.com/CK1Blogs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bairfanx posted:

Especially considering that Lockjaw isn't a dog, but is an Inhuman like the rest of them.

No, he is a dog.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You've never heard anything bad about the Michael Bay films?
MTMTE is really good and is only a Transformers comic in that it is about Transformers, but there's really very little to it that couldn't be changed slightly to make it just whatever warring aliens or whatever the writer wanted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick is the worst Robin but the best post-Robin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman can't solve all of Batman's problems because he's busy dealing with things that actually require a Superman to solve. He can't actually be everywhere at once, and street crime is not something he's going to be dealing with often.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excuse me, Thor, the Bible says ADAM and EVE, not JANE and STEVE.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jokes on my comedy website forum? Why I never!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Ultimate may>actress may>normal may

Trouble May > All

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I fully expect him to name a crappy place after Tony. Like, he remembers him and respects him but still can't forget all the poo poo he did so he gets a crappy place named after him. Like whatever used to be New Jersey is now Tony Starksey.

Ft. Stark, Tonyana.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

The cybernetics the Emperor had his people install on Vader were deliberately designed to hamper Vader's ability to use the Force, enough that it would be difficult for Vader to turn against the Emperor but still leaving him strong enough to be useful as the Emperor's enforcer.

I hope this was thrown out because it means Vader was too dumb to go find another cyberneticist to see if he could get lighter limbs. It's not like they're particularly uncommon considering the Rebels had one in their flotilla to make Luke a new hand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Here's how that would go: Vader shows up, says "take a look at my robo-bits", the mechanic opens him up, and etched into the metal is "change anything and you'll regret it - xoxo The Emperor".

"Don't do what I ask and you'll regret it immediately" - Vader.

No, it's dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The difference is that short of searching the galaxy for Padme, he can't really verify either way. (Granted, he could send spies or whatever, but she died, so they wouldn't find anything other than that.) With his cybernetics, he should definitely be able to tell that they're hampering his abilities and why wouldn't he make an effort to see if he can get better ones? He should also be entirely aware that the size of the Force user has no bearing on his/her/its power, so I'd think he'd figure something was amiss pretty quickly. Sorry, it's dumb and bad, handwavy writing if it's even something that was written.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read very little of it, and I'm quite happy to keep it that way, though I rather enjoy the stuff Marvel is putting out (art could be better).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Old 1970s Marvel Comics
I really need to read these.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My reading backlog is so big right now that buying in just doesn't seem worth it for awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e X posted:

Isn't there at least one comic, published pre-ROTJ, were Luke and Leia hook up?
The novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye does that, and it was written pre-Empire and would have been the official sequel to Star Wars had it bombed in theaters. It's possible there was a comic adaptation of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Admittedly, I've never read it (I don't think "admission" is the right term here), and only know of it through hearsay, so you're probably right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

How mind boggling is it that Mark Waid was fired from that book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to read Bartkira, but I hate reading long-form webcomics since it's a pain to have to bookmark where I was and go back every time.

I have read Akira, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:(

My grandmother passed away almost a year ago and was suffering from Alzheimer's. That hits me hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't heard anyone say it's a bad book, just that it's not to their taste, which is a perfectly fine opinion to have.

That said, I don't hang out in comic stores or read the CBR forums, so I'm probably blissfully ignorant.