Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gavok posted:

Anyway, Kingdom Come #4 ends with Batman turning Wayne Manor into a hospital to care for those affected by a nuclear bomb. All those in Luthor's group are forced to work for him and have to wear special collars to keep them in check (except Damian, supporting the mole argument). I cropped out the page to show a really subtle moment between Bruce and Damian.
There's an even better subtle thing going on in the part you cropped out. Catwoman and Riddler (who are married in the KC continuity) are feeding a sick kid in another hospital bed. As Bruce walks across the room, Selina looks away and her eyes follow Bruce as he puts his hand on Ibn's shoulder. Riddler is totally oblivious, too busy playing "gotcher nose!" and making the kid laugh to notice his wife wandering gaze. They seem happy enough together, but Selina knows who she really should have ended up with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's also the way that the statuette his was awarded "In Gratitude" of all his public work becomes the object that kills him - and in the final panel his blood spatter on the statue makes it look like it reads "Ingratitude".

That first panel (the face of someone about to die) is a repeated image in Watchmen, and the thug's shadow leaves a Rorschach-style patterning on his face. Oh, and the falling/splattering jack-o-lantern is another repeated motif (the Nostalgia perfume ad, the snowglobe, Dreiberg's watch parts, etc.). The only thing the page is missing is a Hiroshima-lovers silhouette.

You can stare at any given page from Watchmen for about 10 minutes and still find new things. It's the Citizen Kane of comics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Lucifer is great, but if you read a lot of it in one sitting, you start to notice that all of the characters have the same archly-clever, cutting, world-weary voice. Although if you squint, you can kind of chalk that up to the effect of hanging around the main character.

Also, the number of different enemies the characters fight which end up being "a thing from before creation, who wants their turn in the sun" makes them all kind of run together.

Still, it's by far the best of the Sandman spinoffs, and the best parts of it are better than Sandman.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Choco1980 posted:

From what? It's the middle of March and yesterday I was STILL driving in goddamn whiteout conditions. :sassargh:
It's sunny and 72 degrees here by the San Francisco Bay. Nice enough that they've opened the doors to the porches on the fourth floor here at work. Breezes blowing through the hallways.

Whiteout conditions, you say?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good/bad Bendis tends to break down along the solo/team axis -

Bendis writing solo characters: often excellent (USM)
Bendis writing team book: ugh look out (Avengers)

Although I've seen some kind things written about his recent X-Men work.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lobok posted:

That comic is old enough that they would have said it was an asbestos wig. Asbestos back then was used like yellow against Green Lantern. Like asbestos webbing! Spray it into people's faces Spidey, yeah!
Now I'm imagining old-timey superheroes who get their powers from things like powdered radium and arsenic infusions.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

Spock was lucky to never run into young Jean Grey.
Actually, he did

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mind the walrus posted:

Rising standards of body perfection from the 80s onwards have really warped perceptions of how fit the men of the 50s-70s actually were.
You can almost always tell where an episode of TOS falls in a season based on Shatner's fitness. He'd get in shape during the hiatus, and then get flabbier and flabbier as the long weekly shoots ground on.

That crossover spawned multiple TNG-era sequels and at least one novel. I'm pretty sure the entire purpose of it from the beginning was to set up this gag

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gavok posted:

Does someone have the panels of his breakdown from Kingdom Come #2? I loved that scene.
One of my favorite touches in KC is how in the final battle, Magog is in the background, and every time you see him he's not fighting, he's doing everything he can to protect injured people and get them out of the combat zone. He's genuinely repentant.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Senior Woodchuck posted:

And this was, of course, after the dead, underaged prostitute was found in his hotel room.
Hey, he was never convicted of anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ferrule posted:

He shot a web right onto the support beam in front of Frank, but not, like, onto Frank himself. Or Frank's gun.
It's been well-established in continuity that Spider-Man's webs are ineffective against Punisher's guns.

Proof:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Infinitum posted:

How much prep time does cave-Batman have?
He doesn't need any. He has a contingency plan (multiple plans, actually) for precisely this situation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wolverine is a good archetype. You can throw him into any sort of plot, and he fits.
He's a classic mythological figure. To the dying-and-resurrected harvest god, the trickster, and the culture hero who brings forbidden knowledge from the underworld, we can add: the short dude with knives for hands.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I like the period detail of the giant ViewSonic CRT monitor JJJ uses.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Skeets getting around on a gold-colored walker is the detail that seals it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

thetoughestbean posted:

“Nobody deserves mercy. That’s why it’s mercy.” Superman’s been reading his Augustine I see.
Or his Shakespeare:

Portia posted:

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.

quote:

(This is a good page)
:agreed: