Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
It amazes me that this is the same guy that brought us XXXombies. If you had told me three years ago he'd be writing one of the best comics ever I would not have believed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I'm going to agree with DivineCoffeeBinge that it was incredibly effective, but out of context it does seem a little contrived though it isn't at all. Have to remember, she just lived that life we saw as well.

Now the final page reveal, I felt that that was contrived. Still doesn't take away from the enjoyment and awesomeness of the book.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Gavok posted:

From Avengers Academy #32. One of the students is Juston, the kid from the Sentinel comic from years back. He's basically the kid from Iron Giant with a pet Sentinel that acts as his friend and protector. It's still glitchy and talks up mutants in ways that make the others wary.

X-23 goes up to them and insists that the Sentinel should be destroyed. Although Juston has been able to add directives that make it good, he's been unable to remove "APPREHEND OR DESTROY ALL MUTANTS" from its directive vocabulary. The only way to do it would wipe its memory clean. X-23 says he should do just that, but he refuses.

Stuff from AvX is talked about and Sentinel starts freaking out because a Phoenix-powered Emma Frost shows up. She's melted down all the world's Sentinels and now she's going to finish them off with Juston's. Pym tries to talk her down and she figures she'll let it slide if they erase its memory, let Pym give it a new personality and redesign it so it no longer resembles a Sentinel. Juston pleads with her not to do it and gets locked in a fire bubble. Sentinel sees this as an attack and fights Emma with everything it has while commanding Juston to run.

It's also pretty awesome that Striker is standing up for the Sentinel when you look at that Korvac story from a while ago.

An editor or someone really needs to focus on Gage for a bit. He has some amazing writing chops, and some horrible ones. Find out how he comes up with stuff like this and get rid of the other crap he does.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Uthor posted:

That's really sweet but ... grunge is retro now? Time to throw out my Nirvana t-shirt, I guess. Or at least start wearing it "ironically".

I kind of felt the same way at first, but then I realized I've talked with customers who don't even know what grunge is. Basically, Yes. Grunge, which as stated earlier, is apparently retro. 80's is now The Oldies.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

FF 6

I want this framed, I love this page.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Every single one of my favorite Deadpool stories aren't where he's being a wacky anti-hero, but where he examines his own, and others humanity.

I think Cable and Deadpool did this rather well, but everyone took the wrong things from it, and went wacky Deadpool, instead of existentialist insane deadpool.

Though to be honest, I avoid a lot of his stuff because I'll grab an issue and be turned off. What Deadpool vol is that?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The latest one. If you also want to see a great Deadpool read Uncanny X-force volume 1.

Yeah, I've read Uncanny X-Force, and that's what kind of got me annoyed. It's such a great arc for him.

I wish I had scans of what I think is the last issue, when he says goodbye to Apocy jr.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Was it to even try to bring him back to life? I think it was more what is going on with these bamfs that Aaron has had since the loving start? And oh they are from Nightcrawler and here is an awesome tale to bring him back.

Seriously love when writers just go all out to bring a character back. Aaron has had this in mind for a while, and now he's just pulling all the guns.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I hate myself and went to comicbook resource and they hate Aaron, but that place is the loving pits.

So wait, if they hate Aaron, does that mean they hate Thor? Cause I can kind of see the dislike for his X-Men stuff (not really, but people go nuts about their mutants) but Thor is seriously one of the best comics in a long loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Breetai posted:

It's a wonderful point of contrast between how each of the Big Two treats their portrayal of minority characters.

DC: Okay, so the new Green Lantern is a Muslim, which means that of COURSE he gets falsely accused of being a TERRORIST and even though he's got a power ring we'll portray him with an ANGRY FACE on the cover, CLUTCHING A GUN.

Marvel: Here's a quite positive depiction of her home life and culture, yes sometimes people are jerks to her because she's different and there are occasionally clashes between her cultural background and the everyday life of an American teenager that she just wants to fit in with, but she deals with these struggles as best she knows how and even when they don't necessarily agree with her aspirations in this area the authority figures in her life are portrayed as generally having her best interests at heart.

Also the letters pages are amazingly :3: to read. The page for issue 7 has a reader who is a Modern Orthodox Jew writing in and saying how well he relates to her experiences, which is such a ringing endorsement for the characterization in the series thus far.

I think one of my favorite parts of this is during the run everyone tells her she needs to speak to the head of her temple and she's just dreading it. Saying how he hates her and he's totally unfair and you can of build up this image in your head of this sexist old jerk that's going to treat her like crap. She finally sits down with him and he's just this kind old man who gives her some great advice.