Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This thread is amazing. Love it, reminds me of why I love comics. We3 and the Hanged Man story in Astro City are probably the best to me(I love how that Astro City tale is still relevant since DC can't stop having time altering world events). Just perfect moments.

Surprised not to see more Miracleman or Sandman in here, not that I can think of any specific moments. I will definitely to to dig some up to contribute soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Just bought and read Secret Origin thanks to the recommendations, and yeah that was great. Makes the Superman who showed up at the end of Justice League #1 really depressing though.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The art and writing in that little scene pack a lot of punch. So well done.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Breetai posted:

Terry Moore tackled the same thing in Strangers in Paradise, and was very effective at conveying the loss on the part of the mother.

Still super depressing no matter how many times I see it.

That's amazingly done.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I started trying to type out my favorite sentimental moments in Starman and then realized I had too many.

edit: also, it's great that Jack as a character feels like a reaction to the gritty awfulness of costume comics at the time, and points it out to Batman directly in the comic, but Batman is still written respectably even if he is shown extra-abrasive. It feels along the lines of Ennis showing Superman respect when using him in Hitman.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 30, 2012

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That last page is as gorgeous as that first panel is hilarious.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Woah, Secret Avengers seems pretty good. That may be the first time I've felt Captain Britain had strong, unique, and interesting voice. Art looks gritty but really perfect for that mood.

Has it always been that good? Most of what I've caught about the series was during AvX and was not that interesting.

Also I've been following Invincible since issue 1. Dropped it a few times but always caught back up. I did not think the 100 issue was touching or impact full or interesting. It feels like it has long told whatever character stories are possible out of Mark and his cast. I'm glad to see someone with good taste likes it, though. If its just not for me anymore at least it's till good for someone.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

edit: messed up my post here, but yeah, really didn't like his take on a lot of the characters.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 2, 2013

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Also, how does he stretch so much? Doesn't make sense.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It's probably just an artist that isn't very good at drawing faces.

The only problem spots in all the Injustice I've seen posted is Batman's face. Like they draw the cowl and then try to fill in his facial features after, and it always looks so horrible.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That's the kind of cheesiness I love. God bless comic books.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Holy poo poo how can people have so much negativity to say about Superman saying a nice thing to a cop. This lady at McDonalds wished me a good day. The gently caress was she trying to say?! Like I'm some rube who needs to hear that? gently caress her!

It's nice that Superman still says dorky corny things. Wow. Instead of accepting that, let's insult the guy sharing the panel and get all aggressive that it isn't touching enough for you.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Astro City, and that story in particular, is one of the greatest gifts to superhero comic fans. Taking such a ridiculous concept as a universe reboot and wringing out something as incredibly touching and melancholy as that story... Yep, thanks for the reminder. Time to go find the best way to rebuy those.

Edit: also that story makes Barry Allen a goddamn monster from how many lives he must have ruined.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That was really great. Really great. I actually had stopped following GL by that point and knew that she died but never went to go read it for myself. Thanks.

Thanks for the effort in reminding me about how good Donna and Kyle could be, too. Can't think of other heroes as sappy and dopey as Kyle Rayner is about ladies.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 12, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Fair warning to everyone, the following pages are very touching, but they're not inspiring at all.

I liked this a lot, but I feel it works just as good, if not better and easier to read, as a short story.

I also think that USM 200 page is ridiculously great. Like the funeral stuff with Aunt May, Bendis is great at making comic book deaths more personal and less soap opera. Though it is maybe a little soap opera.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I liked the accidental death. I disliked all the heroes and criminals stopping and going "oh gosh, NOW it's serious. Better stop horsing around" and stand with their hands together.

The art probably didn't help.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

drat, the art has gotten a lot better since the days of crying Sloth-Batman.

I feel bad, cause that thing is horrible, but it really is the inker and coloring that fucks up decent pencils in that case.

I have not kept up with Injustice but I really like that scene. In many ways.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

Inspirational? How about this?
Later, after a mission, Vertigo takes Deadshot aside for an important conversation...

I like this a lot cause you couldn't pull off that scene as effectively in any medium outside of comics. This is A+ comic booking.

Edit: weird nitpick, but I wish the clouds were moving a tiny bit in the background.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

In Kevin Smith's Green Arrow there is one point where Ollie is in huge trouble and Connor (I think?) is dying. He just started screaming that he knows Superman can hear him somewhere and needs to come help, and he does.

I thought the scene rocked when I first read it cause poo poo, it makes sense in a universe with a Superman. But then it also cheapens any other dramatic moments in Ollie's life cause cause why didn't he just yell for help if he's really screwed? And what about everyone else in the world screaming for help all the time? Kinda highlights the whole problem with trying to tell dramatic stories when there's an arrow man who is buddies with gods.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Oops, ok not Kevin Smith. Still think it's a very cool scene but by that logic Clark should be more like the Samaritan from Astro City, which was probably the most believable and sad version of a benevolent Superman I've read.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I hate that kind of ending. Trying too hard to make an ending that wraps things up and make some point and it always feels very lame and takes me out of the narrative. It's like if Walter White travelled back in time to give himself cancer and the final scene is him winking at the camera.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I could see that being ok. A more realistic and pessimistic world with powers isn't the worst concept. It just doesn't do that well, either.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Stardust is basically the thesis for why superhero comics are great and terrible. It's all nonsense but goddamn look how crazy that nonsense is. Is just better hidden these days.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

It's a valid point. One of my favorite parts of Alan Moore's Majestic story "The Big Chill" involves the fact that Manny Weiss--the Wandering Jew--and Majestic a.k.a "totally not Superman" both came from Earth despite being one of the last seven living things in the entire universe:

Super agreed. Comics that take place in the distant future and account for the ridiculous scope of stories and fleeting nature of what's going on right now are much more interesting than "hey this character I made and added to the avengers is totally still there in the future". Let me fill in the blanks by myself, it's so much more interesting.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The rap thing was almost endearing in how corny it is.

Almost.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Classtoise posted:

This is, bar-none, my favorite Fantastic Four/Reed Richards moment. It really humanized him and made him more than "Hahaha gently caress my family, I'mma go do SCIENCE" and really made Reed appear as a likable human being.

I agree. It's the best type of retcon, adding depth while sorta explaining the ridiculousness.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think it is deeper than the typical implications of "fridging", but sure it has some of the bad implications of that, too.

I never caught that about that scene. poo poo. I always expect to go back to KC and feel like it aged poorly, but it still has a lot of weight and kinda gets better over time for me.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do they give an award at the Eisners for speech bubble arrangement? Maybe a special award for that effort.

e: \/ I actually think the full page of dialogue over one image thing is quite a neat device. I wouldn't want to see it all the time, but I think splash pages devoted to just two people talking is a nice thing to see.

I agree. It is well laid out and paced and effective, but I also still like Bending snappy back and forth stuff.

Current Marvel is really impressive and fun. Didn't think I could feel that way about this stuff again.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

He could use emoticons to express himself like the rest of us. ;-)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

And then the baby was a skrull!!!!

Edit:: I swear this was a last page twist once but can't find it, so maybe I'm crazy

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 13, 2016

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love his take on Bruce Wayne. Smirking but clearly worn out and dark.

The way Cooke's characters smile is my favorite thing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

God bless Joe Kelly's Plastic Man character arc.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

A Flintstones comic is the most divisive comic book topic in 2016, I loving love all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Here you go. Context: In this world, everyone has some sort of superpower. Several people with teleportation abilities got into a grisly traffic accident and there wasn't anything the medics could do but wait for them to die. The human is an Adam Strange type, the big horse guy is a knight in a cosmic chess game.

Top Ten #8

Sometimes I reread a scene I loved when I was younger and it's hokey bullshit. But Top Ten and Astro City both just get better and better with age.