Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Stormwatch, issue #7 (New 52 run).

Here's the situation. Jack Hawksmoor is basically the God of Cities. In this issue, he needs to get information about something that happened in the city of Pripyat. Normally, he can just telepathically communicate with the 'mind' of a city, but Pripyat is different.

Pripyat is the city that was built to house the workers at Chernobyl... and that was totally evacuated and abandoned after the meltdown. And a city's health depends on its population.

So instead of just 'talking' to Pripyat, Jack travels to this alternate plane (or maybe it's just in his mind) where he's able to communicate with the cities as if they're people.

Pripyat is personified as a cancer-ridden man on life support, confined to his hospital bed. His attendants are two Japanese women with horribly burned faces (Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Jack asks Pripyat some questions that advance the plot, and then turns to go. But Pripyat has a question for him, too...

(dammit, if I can't make the upload work I will be annoyed)

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Madkal posted:

Yea it takes things from Vlad but Vlad wasn't the only sadistic ruler at the time. That kind of brutality was pretty much par for the course for most insane rulers throughout history. I would love to ask Gaiman who the true inspiration (for Breschau of Livonia) was.

http://www.holycow.com/dreaming/lore/interview/the-dreamings-first-neil-gaiman-online-chat/ posted:

"Breschau isn’t a historical figure (I thought it would be unfair to have someone who was completely forgotten by history, who you could find in a history book)"

"The idea for the Breschau character probably came from a seed planted in Jurgen, James Branch Cabell’s novel, where he meets his father, Coth, who is being tortured in Hell, although not entirely to his satisfaction."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Nobody tell those kids that Reed Richards actually shrank down and punched Willy Lumpkin's cancer into submission a few months back.

Biggest problem with that scene is that after they went into Willy Lumpkin's body in a miniaturized spaceship... they left the spaceship behind.

Someday soon, the spaceship's microminiaturization will wear off, and Willy Lumpkin will explode.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Sue turns to Black Bolt. The king is completely indifferent to what just happened.

Black Bolt isn't showing emotion, because a) he's a king and to show weakness could lead to war or revolt, and b) he's Black Friggin' Bolt and to so much as say "uh" would kill everyone around him.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

Delirium's just chilling in mid-air because gently caress gravity when you're Delirium and she notices her brother cradling his head in his hands. When she asks Destiny what happened, he coldly brushes her off. Then this happens.

I know why Delight turned into Delirium.

It was the Crisis. DC stopped indulging in the sheer whimsical delight of the multiverse, and instead tried to channel everything into one deliriously muddled system that just made things worse.

you think Hawkman is cool? Try explaining where he came from.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or read Hickman's FF run where exactly that happens.

Yeah, but in Hickman's FF, they forgot to remove the wreckage of their miniaturized spaceship.

One day, real soon now, Willie Lumpkin's head is going to explode when the Pym Particles wear off.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Gavok posted:

While Superman did reveal Batman's secret identity to the public as a way to cut him off at the knees, Gordon revealed in one issue that he was always well aware that Bruce was Batman and that Barbara was Batgirl/Oracle. When Barbara asked how he knew, he yelled, "BECAUSE I'M A DETECTIVE!"

"Peter, I'm an award-winning investigative journalist. We've worked side by side for years. Frankly, it's a little insulting to think I wouldn't know." - Ben Urich

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Senior Woodchuck posted:

As I recall, editorial ordered Peter David to retcon that in an issue of X-Factor, and he did. (He had Quicksilver say it was all a prank on Ben Grimm, I guess because the Inhumans are dicks.)

Peter David said that he did it this way so that if you want to believe Quicksilver is making up bullshit to soothe his own ego, you can.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

redbackground posted:

Why are like six names bigger than everyone else's?

I think those are the names of people whose careers were primarily at Marvel.

(It sure would've been great if they'd spelled "Memoriam" properly.)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

JESUS CAN WE GET SOME "INSPIRING" IN HERE, STAT, BEFORE PHYLODOX AND I MELT DOWN ANY MORE Gonna re-read those Batgirl panels, I really enjoyed those.

Inspirational? How about this?

It's the last scene of the last issue of the original run of Suicide Squad. A confrontation between Deadshot and Count Vertigo. Vertigo had earlier explained that a lot of his actions over the past several years had been driven by mental illness, which may have been the result of the experiments that gave him his powers but may also have been the result of aristocratic inbreeding... and that, on the whole, he's been feeling suicidal. He says to Deadshot, "if I ask you to... will you kill me?" And Deadshot says, "absolutely... so you'd drat well better be SURE before you ask me that."

Later, after a mission, Vertigo takes Deadshot aside for an important conversation...

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Jiro posted:

I haven't caught up on Saga in a while, someone with spoilers?

No spoilers: you loving need to catch up on Saga now.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Glazius posted:

Hey, you know what? I think I'll post that.

From the original Astro City #1 (available free on Comixology and probably other digital platforms).

Also he is staring enviously at that pigeon, because a pigeon can just fly and it doesn't have to save anyone.

And that's why his chest emblem is a stylized pigeon.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

At a convention years ago someone at a panel asked Mark Waid about the science behind Superman's hearing powers and brought up things like the above example and Waid said "he has accelerated hearing" and that was it.

I'm reminded of the scene from Waid's Irredeemable, where young Plutonian is sitting in school, and his super-hearing picks up the sound of his foster mother about to commit suicide three miles away. And he rushes out at super-speed, faster than a speeding bullet...

and discovers that even though he moves faster than a bullet does, the sound had to travel three miles before he could hear it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Excuse me, Thor, the Bible says ADAM and EVE, not JANE and STEVE.

Jane Foster and Steve Rogers?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Aww. Which robots are those?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, when you've seen as much poo poo as Bill has, it starts getting hard to not see higher powers as just more evolved powers. And prayer does seem pretty blasphemous and wrong at that point. You could worship Thor, but then you clearly have beings above him, like Galactus. And beings above him like Eternity or The Living Tribunal. Where does it end? Who's the real creator worthy of answering to?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

As someone who first encountered the DC Captain Marvel in the early 1970s it's strange to see such a cartoony, lightweight character drawn into the grimdark stuff that comics turned into. It's like seeing Bugs Bunny mixed in with all the death and destruction.

And now someone's going to tell me that Bugs Bunny also received the grimdark makeover at some point. :(

You should read the Loony Leo issue of Astro City.

"It was then that I discovered an advantage to being a cartoon character, one I'd never thought of before.

Maybe you get hungry... but you don't need to eat. Not really.

Freeze in the rain... sleep in the cold... walk this country from one end to the other... you won't die."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

FMguru posted:

Hey, he was never convicted of anything.

Well, no. She OD'd.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Toshimo posted:

What's the emoticon for the crushing despair of having your trasnformo-stache taken away?

: ( ( ==> : (

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

CapWolf has been a weirdly memorable thing

I really appreciate the fact that even as a werewolf, he's still got blonde hair/fur.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The last two pages of of the last issue of Alias.

Luke has just admitted to Jessica that he has feelings for her. Very, very deep feelings.

She's got some news for him, too: she's pregnant. And it's his.

And he just BEAMS. Such a huge smile, it's wonderful.

And then his face suddenly gets all nervous. And he asks her:

"Do you want it?"

and she says:

"Very, very, very much."

and again, he BEAMS.

Really sweet.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I would not have expected a sad and touching moment from Punisher: Armory, an illustrated guide to every gun Frank Castle owns. And yet...

Halloween Jack posted:

Punisher Armory did give us this, though:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Seriously, this scene loses a lot without context. The fact that it is still pretty awesome speaks to Darwyn Cooke's skill.

Also, read New Frontier you jerks.

Darwyn Cooke did some pretty drat good comics.

Unfortunately, he died over the weekend.

I met him at the Montreal comicon last year (year before?) and got him to sign some stuff. Very nice guy.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

Uhh... :stare:

How exactly is that touching or inspiring? Exploited worker is convinced by boss to do something he's afraid of, dies horribly. Jesus, the Flintstones comic is dark.

As I recall, the writer of the Flintstones remake is on the record as saying he loving hates the Flintstones.

This should be interesting.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That's actually news that makes me the opposite of interested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/06/28/yabba-dabba-reboot-satire-is-sharp-enough-to-cut-rocks-in-dc-comics-debut-of-the-flintstones posted:

DC COMICS reached out with a mission for Mark Russell. How would he like to write a reboot of “The Flintstones”?

His prompt reply: “I kind of hate ‘The Flintstones.’ ”

The DC editors’ response: They liked his humorous take for his award-winning comic “Prez,” so his distaste for the old animated Hanna-Barbera TV show was not a dealbreaker.

“So I knew from the beginning,” Russell tells The Post’s Comic Riffs, “that it would be a satiric, edgy response to ‘The Flintstones.’ ”

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Infinitum posted:

So anyway. This got posted on Imgur earlier, and imma crosspost it here because it's real good

Source is JLA 1997-2006 #102

Reminds me of the arc from Waid's early-'90s run where Wally is evacuating people from a mall that's been smashed and set on fire by a supervillain. He pauses for a moment and asks a firefighter, is anyone left in there?

Firefighter: "No, I think you got everyone out!"

Wally: "Okay, then I won't search," and he runs off to do other hero stuff.

Six months later, Wally finds out he's being sued. Because there was one person left alive and trapped in the flaming wreckage, and she was close enough to hear him say "Okay, then I won't search," and now she's crippled and hideously scarred.

Eventually there's a scene where Wally's lawyer is tearing into him on the witness stand, and asking him, well, come on, how did you deal with this in the past? You've been a superhero before, what happened in previous cases where you had to choose between who to save?

and Wally bursts into tears.

"Don't you get it? I never had to choose before!"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

She saw an opportunity to get a huge payday and took it.

that's what Wally thought until he saw that she was a horribly scarred amputee.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Flash_Vol_2_89

(also her lawyer was working with Abra Kadabra)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I'm kinda reminded of the Kingdom Come version of the Flash, which the novel explains better, that as an amalgam thing (created by the speed force, combining all the Flashes into one person) where he's so guilt stricken about people he hasn't saved that now he constantly patrols all of Central City constantly at top speed, and he cannot stop. Like, the slowest he would get would be to let a little girl register his friendly face when he rescues her cat from a tree.

... when did that issue come out, relative to the first issue of Astro City?

"I slow down for a moment to let the little girl see me, so that she knows it's all right... and it almost costs a man in Boston his life."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Month_2_Live posted:

In an accident with toxic waste, Dennis Sykes gains superpowers and an untreatable cancer. With a life expectancy of barely a month, Sykes launches himself on a brief career as a superhero, in an attempt to make a difference in the world while he still can.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

TwoPair posted:

No, you qualify for cancer curing if you deliver Reed Richards' mail.

I'm still waiting for Willie Lumpkin's head to explode when the shrink ray wears off.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

I was lost for a second in the beginning. I actually forgot Cap and Thor and the rest used to have secret identities.

Actually, when did Cap stop caring about his secret identity?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea post-9/11 Cap unmasked himself as a show of being for America rather than glory and poo poo. One of the few 9/11 Marvel things that was actually pretty solid. Did that come with him making his big "America doesn't know what it is right now" speech or was that a Civil War thing?

Post it?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

That second page echoes some things Gaiman has said about his own life in interviews. The Writer's Curse of a voice in the back of your head numbly-eagerly-lapping up every reaction and negative moment for storage to use in the craft is a sadistic devil.

"and yet... there was a part of me... the part that observes and writes... rubbing its hands, and saying... 'well, if she dies, at least I'll be able to use it in Animal Man. It'll add a nice touch of poignancy.'" -- Grant Morrison

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Yup. In Animal Man 25, Buddy ends up in Comic Book Character Limbo, where obscure characters people have forgotten about or have their stories retconned out of existence hang out, hoping to be brought back into continuity. There's a lot of name-dropping in the issue that is fun if you're a DC nerd. Also, Buddy's main guides end up being the Inferior Five, a group of losers who each have their own superpower offsetting their major setbacks. One of them is Dumb Bunny, who's basically a ditzy playboy bunny type with super strength. The group is hopeful that they'll have their day back in the sun soon:

Jump ahead 16 years to Bulleteer #3, a mini series inside the mini series Seven Soldiers of Justice. It's a really interesting and subversive title, critically examining the way female characters are treated in superhero comics, while hiding behind exactly the sort of cheesecake art that is part of the problem. Also we have a hero who doesn't want to be a superhero, but can do little else after a freak accident gives her invulnerable steel skin and super strength. In this issue, she has gotten a job as a bodyguard at a d-list superhero convention. Naturally the sexy supers on display get far more attention. While discussing how gross this is with a newfound friend, this happens:

I rather preferred how she was portrayed in Foglio's Angel and the Ape mini, to be honest.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Avulsion posted:

Uh, no. It was the somewhat more upbeat Deadpool #14 where The White Man, who has been petrified since the 1970s, wakes up and seeks revenge against Deadpool and his sidekicks, Power Man and Iron Fist.

you realize the White Man straight up murders two innocent bystanders there, yes?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Gotta say I found basically every example of a suicide or cancer comic in this thread super maudlin and kitschy and hamfisted, even in moments I could empathize or relate to personally. I feel like it's unavoidable for the superhero comic medium, every single example just feels like A Very Special Episode.

Hmm. Have you seen the "1 Month 2 Live" series from about 5 years back?

Dennis gets splashed with mutagenic waste, and develops a) superpowers, and b) incurable cancer.

The Avengers make him an honorary member.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

There was a scene in the "Inhumanity" series from a few years back; not sure I can find it.

Black Bolt has had the Voice stripped away from him, and now [someone else] has it. And this is a crushing burden, the other person can't handle it the strain.

so Black Bolt discusses it with Medusa - it's so good to be able to talk to her, and she's just blown away by the fact that now she can hear him - and they agree, he'll have to take the Voice back.

and fortunately, there's another Inhuman who has the power to transfer traits from one person to another. So trait-moving dude gets ready to pull the Voice out of [other person], and shove it back into Black Bolt.

but before he does, Black Bolt turns to Medusa

and he says something really important.

this issue was the first time he was ever able to actually speak to his wife, using words, using his own voice.

he says....

he says "I'M SORRY."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Like if you want to have a huge multi-character series, having it set in a universe where consequences matter and death is permanent is 100% the way to go.
It makes those huge moments MATTER.

Nothing annoys me more than a character dying only to have them brought back later to reset the status quo.
"Oh no Wolverine/Hulk/Jean Grey/Batman died? Well can't wait to see their return in 6 months time at the conclusion of this arc I guess..."

Peter David did a story about this - the Death of Nick Fury.

the Howling Commandoes showed up at the funeral, and were all laughing and joking about what a prankster ol' Nick is

and someone said, why are you being so disrespectful?

and they said, it's Nick Fury! He's always faking his death! This can't be him! Any minute now, he'll come walking out of the crowd to surprise us!

Any minute now, he'll get up out of the coffin!

Any minute now!

... okay, digging the grave is going kind of far...

.... okay, lowering the coffin into the grave is a bit extreme, but it's all in the service of the joke! He'll come back! Of course he will!

okay, you're covering the coffin with dirt! Stop that! How's he going to get out of the coffin if it's buried!

and it slowly dawns on the remaining Commandoes that, no, this time it really is real. Nick Fury really did die. It's not a hoax, not an LMD, not a clone.

It's real.

He's really gone.

and they just crumble.

and then six months later someone said "okay, time to bring Nick Fury back. Hmm. Okay, it was an LMD."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Byzantine posted:

I think priests are manga fans, actually

Priests!

I'm thinking of the scene in Astro City, with the vampire priest who wears an enormous cross on his chest.

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"It is meant to. The pain helps me focus on not being a monster."

"And that works? You've never killed anyone?"

"... Please do not ask me that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm really pleased they've walked back the I AM GROOT poo poo being all he could say.

I liked the idea that it was just a really thick accent, in which everything - to our weak human ears - sounded like 'I AM GROOT'.