Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent posted:

Do I need to catch up on the previous 24 or the current arc or something?

Bare minimum the current arc starting on issue 19, but as usual the full context of the stakes would require reading all 25 issues plus JL annual 1. The gist of it is that the source wall is broken and that ancient and powerful beings are set to judge if the multiverse is in harmony. Lex luthor is trying to save the universe by awakening the creator of the multiverse and tilt rhe cosmic scale towards Doom, while the league are scrambling to stop him. It's the best this series has been in a good decade.

ImpAtom posted:

Do you mean Superman Discovering The Power Of Anime?

Excuse you, anime discovered the power of Superman :colbert:

McCloud fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's the one! Although it's much better if you read the preceding issues

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Archyduchess posted:

I haven't kept up with DC very closely for years but I really like that scene, even without context. I think the best Superman stories fundamentally tell us that we aren't alone, and it's nice when that's flipped or expanded to include Clark himself, as someone who needs people and cherishes them. And of course, the punch was enormous, which is always icing on the cake.

The open secret of Superman is that he's inspired by the people around him to be better. Not just Lois or Bruce or Pa, but regular folks who will stick their necks out to give you a hand when you need it. It's as much part of the character as that big S on his chest

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Captain America is kind of an expert at giving speeches that sound good on paper but are kind of horrible when you think about it. Like his speech about not moving, even when the whole world is telling you you're wrong.

(His speech to the fake Cap america is great though)

Cabbit posted:

gently caress it, maybe it's just me. Cap irks me from top to bottom, not the least of which being by draped in a flag, it's entirely possible I'm reading too much into it.

Edit: That's a lovely snipe. Here's my favorite page that Grant Morrison has ever done, which I think qualifies as touching because it never fails to put a smile on my face:

You're a good egg, Cabbit.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. I don't really agree.

I know you can twist it to "but that means someone who thinks something horrible will also think to never move" but that basically is going to apply to any encouraging or confident speech. Short of trying to bring nuance to something specifically designed to be emotional, you can't really avoid that.

There's no twisting involved. he almost literally saying "when everyone is telling you you're wrong, stand your ground and tell them to gently caress off", in a way few other "inspiring" speeches do. It's actually uniquely terrible in that sense. Like, if the whole world is telling you something, maybe you should listen to them instead of being a defiant jerk about it.

If anti-vaxxers, climate change deniers and flat earthers can use it as a rallying cry then you probably wrote a poo poo speech

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I feel this scene from the latest Batman issue belongs here and in the Badass thread. The setup:
The Joker managed to get ahold of the Wayne fortune, and along with it, all of batmans vast array of toys and vehicles, and is using it to terrorize the city. The Batfamily has been driven away by Bruce due to his guilt of letting Alfred die, Batman is being put through a gauntlet, Lucius Fox is down, and he got poisoned with some toxin created by Jokers new henchgirl, Punchline.

Harley Quinn managed to get him to a safehouse used by her and Ivy and gave him something to flush out the toxins. The drawback is that he's now out cold , Punchline found the save haven and is now trying to kill both Harley and Batman, and Batman is hallucinating.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Strange Cares posted:

Wow, Bruce can't even comfort a dying old man, has to make it about himself like always. Guess when your dad is the butler, you don't learn good listening skills.

Look, I don't know if you know this but Bruce is kind of a drama queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Would be better than Zack Snyder rehashing Bruce and Lois.

There's a whole thread dedicated to this kind of thing, and it is not this thread. Keep that poo poo out of here