Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Suben posted:

From X-23 #12.

When and how did Jubilee become a vampire?!?

And who is that artist? I usually hate manga-style art, but it worked really well for that sequence, and looked nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gavok posted:

I can't remember the issue of Starman that this is from, but here's the basics. Ted Knight, the original Starman, is the world's foremost genius in cosmic energy. Almost like if Reed Richards wasn't an ace in every single form of science. Jack, the current Starman, is off on some kind of space adventure. Orion gave him a Motherbox, which took the form of Ted Knight. It has the memories of Ted Knight, but the coldness that comes with being AI.

As part of their adventure, they come across Star Boy from the Legion. He's a bit starstruck at meeting "Ted".

One of hundreds of sweet, touching, sad, beautiful moments in Starman. Man, where is THAT James Robinson right now?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Heh, I just read Superman: Secret Origin this week, and after disliking most of Johns' Green Lantern run and all the Blackest Night/Brightest Day stuff and HATING Infinite Crisis, I enjoyed the hell out of Secret Origin. I was stunned that he actually GOT the essence of Superman, in a way that many writers never have. I don't usually follow Superman discussion, so did fans generally like the story? Was it popular? It definitely had that "movie treatment" feeling (as long as they cut the Legion chapter), but it was so much better than Green Lantern: Secret Origin and had more heart than most of Johns' other recent work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of comic-themed music, I kind of like this band's songs (for obvious reasons):
http://corporaterecords.co.uk/artists/Spoiler+Alert!/Spoiler+Alert!+E.P/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Thunderbolts tie-in of that issue expands the conversation a bit more. The SI arc for Thunderbolts is really good and one of the few good stories between Ellis' and Cage's run.

You mean Parker's run? Cage was the name of Parker's first TPB volume.

Gage wrote the Secret Invasion material for Thunderbolts that directly followed Ellis' run, then Diggle took over during Dark Reign and Siege (and most people didn't like it), and then Parker.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a great scene in that arc where Batman is being snarky to Alan and Jack chews him a new one for disrespecting a legend, and says he doesn't care if Batman has a go at him, but there's no way in hell he'll let Batman talk to Alan that way, and honestly, it could go in this thread or the badass thread.

There's a great comic relief scene as well, when Jack tries to get everyone to name their favorite Woody Allen movies. Batman is annoyed, but he finally admits his is Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Man, I haven't gotten around to reading Starman yet, but holy poo poo I love that art.

Tony Harris drew the first half of Starman, and you might recognize his incredible work from the more recent Ex Machina. Peter Snejbjerg drew the majority of the second half, and his style is much cleaner and simpler than Harris -- it reminds me a bit of guys like Michael Lark and David Aja, but a bit cartoonier.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Winter Soldier #14. Bucky and the Avengers have defeated Soviet sleeper agent Leo Novokov and Black Widow, who was brainwashed.

drat, that's Classic Brubaker. I assume that's the end of his final issue?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Adam Strange posted:

Yeah, it is. The entire run is really good (like, the best parts of Captain America good) so if you're into Brubaker in the slightest then you should check it out.

I read the first volume from my library, and thought it was solid, but not great like his Daredevil or all his Sean Phillips collaborations. I think I'm on the waiting list for the second volume right now, so I'm sure I'll catch up eventually.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Never read Kingdom Come, but never expected to see Superman with a ponytail.

He had a mullet for years in the early '90s and sometimes tied it back into a ponytail.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Len posted:

I dunno. Just something about how everything tied together in the end made me think Hundred may have been playing everyone all along

I loved Ex Machina up until the final issue, which left me with a sick, sour taste in my mouth.

I think Hundred entered politics with the best possible intentions, just as he started his short-lived Great Machine career wanting to truly make a difference and inspire people. And it worked as Mayor of New York -- he was a big fish in a relatively small pond. But to truly ascend to the office of Vice-President (not even President, but largely a ceremonial position one could argue has minimal real power for spearheading positive change), he had to sacrifice a lot of his noble and lofty ideals along the way and play ball with the REAL powers that be. You can't rise that high without losing a bit of who you are and compromising your original, purely altruistic goals.

If you've ever watched The Wire, Carcetti's story in Seasons 3-5 is a more realistic mirror of where we left Hundred at the end of Ex Machina.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 3, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

rocknrollsisyphus posted:

This is from Superman Earth One. I don't think any additional context is needed.

Oh drat, crying a little. I have a real soft spot for cats, and I never got to say goodbye to my beloved cat who I had had since third grade. He was about 17 years old, diabetic, and infirm in other ways, and my parents had to put him to sleep while I was away at school. To avoid upsetting me, they didn't tell me until I returned home for Thanksgiving that year.

I've never been able to have another cat due to roommates and apartment leases and now my wife, who is deathly allergic, but I still think about him every day. He was white like Fuzzball, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like it's time for a divorce.

Never. But she loves small dogs, and I'm allergic as hell to them, so we're at an impasse with no pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
gently caress. That story gets me every time. So sad and so beautiful, and now that I've been married for a few years, it hits me even harder than it used to. I really need to buy Astro City #1/2, just so I own it.