Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Groucho Marxist posted:

Dang, you guys are fast.

We all have no lives and thus play sim sports on the internet. So we respond quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Would you recommend joining the HBD or being patient and waiting for the SimLeague or an OpenLeague rush?

You can always do both -- for example, I'm in something like 12 HBD worlds, plus I've got an OL team and a goon league team both going, as well.

HBD is slightly more expensive and is more like a video game 'franchise' mode -- fake players, full minors, draft, IFA, etc. We've got a world that's (mostly) goons that is heading into its 16th season, though I believe all the goons didn't start joining it until about 5 seasons in.

OL/goon leagues are the types of teams that are made from real players throughout history. These are usually easier to get into for new players, since it's made up of baseball players that you've actually heard of and know about! But both HBD and SimLeague stuff can be equally as fun (though I tend to lean more towards HBD, obviously).

Our HBD world is getting ready to start the World Series, at which point we will be very close to rolling over and starting season 16. I've already bugged Bob enough and agreed to GC him, so he's going to come back, plus we will not stop until AV has joined, as well. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to GC (gift certificate...aka pay for) your first season if you are interested.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Would you recommend joining the HBD or being patient and waiting for the SimLeague

They are completely different games. Check the OP of this thread for very brief descriptions of them both. Bob's been trying to get you into sim leagues, I believe, and we could easily make you an open league team and get a few goons in it as well.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think I'll pass on HBD and just check back on this thread for a new Open/SimLeague

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I'm still refining all-range concepts so I'm up for an OL anytime, just shout and I'll jump in with.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I meant to ask this a while ago, but has anyone else used 1922 Ray Grimes before? Since S14 I've been using him in literally every format I can, and he's just continuing to rule. In Win Your First Championship, he was batting .399 three-quarters of the way through the season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He looks pretty good but the problem that's always there with using offensive infielders is that they're not cheap. For instance, you can get comparable or better production out of '15 Gavvy for half a mil less and more PAs. '85 Raines averages more RC on average for a couple hundred grand more, many more PAs and good OF defense.

Of course, if you've got the budget to use someone like Grimes then absolutely you go for it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Too few IP for Hilltop? (bear in mind those are all super range fielders):

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So my MDP ripoff team ends up 113-49. Vince Coleman stole a couple bases.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

toadee posted:

Too few IP for Hilltop? (bear in mind those are all super range fielders):

To expand on this, I was working it out this way. Going on my current super range team, we are by far leading the league in fewest pitches per game (125.0). I had thought that at last count WiS estimated fatigue based on something like 16 pitches per inning?

If that's the case (125 * 162) / 16 = 1265.625, so 1265 innings should do at 125 pitches per game?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'd just look at how many innings you drafted for Coors, consider how fatigue is currently working for you, then adjust from there. You'll need fewer IP at Hilltop than Coors.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I'd just look at how many innings you drafted for Coors, consider how fatigue is currently working for you, then adjust from there. You'll need fewer IP at Hilltop than Coors.

All roses and smiles at 1322 drafted (I did sell off bench guys to pick up '58 Wilhelm so 1366 total).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

How to lose a game in which Addie Joss pitches 9 shutout innings

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ArtVandelay posted:

So my MDP ripoff team ends up 113-49. Vince Coleman stole a couple bases.

Nice, I still have like 7 free teams won by that team. Of course, playing that team kind of burnt me out on WiS.

Cookies...the best....and the worst.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Hey Dimaggio goons I'll throw my name in if you've got a spot opening up in the next rollover. I showed up a day late last time but I'm still interested.

My credentials are that I watch my kids at home all day so I've got plenty of time to play fake baseball.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It's opening in a week or so, but we've had major, major problems with new owners just vanishing so I'm not sure what process TMB is looking to put into screening.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well I'd like to think I'm reliable (I have nothing better to do with my time during the day), but I understand if you've had new owner problems. Just didn't want to sign up with a bunch of mouth breathers in an open league.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Devo posted:

Well I'd like to think I'm reliable (I have nothing better to do with my time during the day), but I understand if you've had new owner problems. Just didn't want to sign up with a bunch of mouth breathers in an open league.

Oh no I'm not trying to blow you off and we're definitely going to have openings, I think there's just going to be a discussion among potential owners about not running out tired pitchers and such. PM ThatsMyBoye, he's the league commissioner, he'll know more about what's opening up.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
No need for PM if there are general questions that could benefit everyone.

The first few days of the season are the most important of all. Even if you decide that this maybe isn't for you, at the very least, please be able to commit to managing your team through offseason activities. Failure to do so could cripple a franchise.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Hey Gardenald, we're playing each other round 1 of the playoffs, starting on wednesday, you're going down!

Please don't sweep me.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

Please don't sweep me.

This is not something that I think you should have any concerns about

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

No need for PM if there are general questions that could benefit everyone.

The first few days of the season are the most important of all. Even if you decide that this maybe isn't for you, at the very least, please be able to commit to managing your team through offseason activities. Failure to do so could cripple a franchise.

Well I'm in if you want me. Don't even care if I get a bad team, I want to run for a few seasons regardless.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Sounds good. Keep an eye out for a new HBD thread in a couple of days.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

(now that I say this you're hosed)

You've got approximately 12 hours to fix this.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Someone help me think of a good name for this rule V team. I can't think of anything good.

Edit: Just did the lineup analysis for this, and it came up with the highest runs per game i've ever seen. 7.509. Not so bad!

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 10, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

How is it letting you place Wes Parker at SS when he's a first baseman?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

How is it letting you place Wes Parker at SS when he's a first baseman?
You can put any player in any position with a little URL trickery. It's the same way you create an entire offense full of Tim Raines and Rickey Henderson at each position.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Art are you seriously going to play Wes Parker at SS? I know I'm the guy who played a team of all Jimmie Foxx/Babe Ruth, but I knew it was a joke!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'd go with the same advice Jefferson gave me about the 15 losing teams league: play your good defensive 3B at SS and move your OF to third. So far Zimmerman at SS and Alfonso Soriano at 3B is working for me.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm actually really curious what Parker could do at SS so just as a test case I'd much rather he keep it as is.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I'm actually really curious what Parker could do at SS so just as a test case I'd much rather he keep it as is.

My Foxx (who was a 3B and thus much closer on the spectrum) had 28 - plays and 45 errors in less than a full season (as I had tried a few others for brief periods).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

On the other hand, Parker has an A glove and middle-of-the-pack A+ range for a 1B. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he does better than Foxx, especially since C glove 3Bs, especially non-modern ones, make a bunch of errors at position, let alone OOP.

I mean, if I were to wager on it I'd bet that Parker does poorly but that's why I want to see how it plays out instead of just assuming he'll suck.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
You haven't really lived until you've played Dave Kingman at short

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

gardenald posted:

You haven't really lived until you've played Dave Kingman at every position

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
It is unbelievable how pitching heavy the BINGO league is. The average team line is .252/.311/.348 :pwn:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Bob Shabazz posted:

It is unbelievable how pitching heavy the BINGO league is. The average team line is .252/.311/.348 :pwn:

this makes me feel slightly better about my terrible, horrible, no good very bad offense.

Advent
Sep 28, 2004

Bob Shabazz posted:

I think it's time to ban deadballers again

or have a more restrictive theme

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

:respek:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I'm actually referring to a different BINGO league that AV and I are in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent
Sep 28, 2004

Bob Shabazz posted:

I'm actually referring to a different BINGO league that AV and I are in

Ah yeah I should have looked first. S15 is .279/.342/.391 which is really, really low for a goon league.

• Locked thread