Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Any recommendations for the bench? Also, with Joss, just didn't feel like I had to spend the money for '03 Joss.

For the bench you want to be as cheap as possible unless you're filling PA holes in your starting 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

This offense costs roughly the same as yours and can mash. Defense is admittedly a little spotty so 1900s pitching might not be the best fit. But there's a lot of different ways you can go with a $60MM offense.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Went with this...took some of the advice, went a different way on other stuff

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
You really really really want 08 Joss at that cap with that kind of theme

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I haven't fiddled with the lineup yet, but I have this set up for a $140M league that allows players from 1940-1993.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
:fistpump:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Grats dude

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

AlleyViper posted:

make that money.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AlleyViper posted:

Hot drat son, good job

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

make that money.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:stare:

'grats dude

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Ouch, my stamina.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Art says he's quitting prog so I need someone to take over for 1952. He's squandered the best years of Ted Williams's career but you can play with the twilight years. Actually Ted is really good in his twilight years too but there is Korea to contend with.

Anyway make all these people into 1952s and that's the team you're working with.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Devo posted:

Art says he's quitting prog so I need someone to take over for 1952. He's squandered the best years of Ted Williams's career but you can play with the twilight years. Actually Ted is really good in his twilight years too but there is Korea to contend with.

Anyway make all these people into 1952s and that's the team you're working with.

You forgot to mention first round pick Ebba St. Claire!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Also you will be forever shamefully burdened with owning the most Ted Williams wastingest franchise ever.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm seriously thinking about setting up a backwards fantasy baseball league on yahoo for this season. It's been about 4 years since we did this, and I can't figure out who is who from he league profile, so out yourselves if it was you. I've always thought it was much more fun than regular fantasy baseball. If there's enough interest here, i'll set up a thread.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So i've got my champs and chumps years, and they kind suck, they are

1972 AL
1989 AL
1995 AL
2005 NL

I've decided that the only usable champs years are 72 and 95. Here is my 72 AL champs team, is it any good?

I can really only get close to the 100mil cap with 95AL as my champs, so this is probably a bad question :v:

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 17, 2014

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This is the team with 1995 AL as the champs

I know the relief is kind of dire, but my years really do suck.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I got Brad loving Penny for random captain. This team is going to be a disaster :v:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

this was a bit of a good inning here for me

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

That selfish player JD Drew needs to learn to hit for RBIs instead of just standing there and taking a walk all the drat time

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Zamboni Jesus posted:

this was a bit of a good inning here for me

you got a plus-plus team name tool right there, son

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

The WiS Championship is back. The themes have actually been posted for some time now but sign-ups are open. Anyone joining? I may bow out this year due to not having a ton of free time, but we'll see.

E: Couldn't help myself and signed up moments later.

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 4, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i actually like the themes this year but i can't bring myself to commit the time and money to it

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

The $120M theme, Babe in Coors, seems like it would be a hella fun to follow

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So champs and chumps is back, and I got

1967NL
1955NL
1975NL
1990AL

I certainly have to make some decisions on first base and outfield!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here is my 1955 champs team. Could that offense cancel out this sad pitching staff?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone else in Zimmer see Al Silva? The team I took over did a poor job budgeting so I can't compete on any huge guys like that. I know there's a decent goon presence in the league though so who's gonna grab him?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

Anyone else in Zimmer see Al Silva? The team I took over did a poor job budgeting so I can't compete on any huge guys like that. I know there's a decent goon presence in the league though so who's gonna grab him?

I do despite 14's but I def won't have a chance at getting him because I'm apparently competitive so I don't have that nice prospect moneys

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

This guy is starting against me in Zimmer tonight and oh my god I think those are the worst splits I've even seen for someone called up to the majors for no explainable reason

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I would have to consider it a couple times before even putting that guy in AA

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

uublog posted:

This guy is starting against me in Zimmer tonight and oh my god I think those are the worst splits I've even seen for someone called up to the majors for no explainable reason

lol

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=64592499

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

DITR day in Zimmer. Hey, this guy isn't bad!

But this guy is better :unsmigghh:

(top guy my 6 mil scouting, bottom EB's 14 mil)

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I've never really been sure how to use guys with low STA/DUR like that. Do you just let them throw 5 pitches once a week against select opponents or how does that work?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ivan Drago posted:

I've never really been sure how to use guys with low STA/DUR like that. Do you just let them throw 5 pitches once a week against select opponents or how does that work?

Their stamina isn't that bad. I just have them throw 10-15 pitches whenever they're at 100%. It takes a couple days for them to regenerate stamina but both those guys are good for at least 50 or so innings a season.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

If you're debating whether or not to join HBD or take on more teams, now's the perfect time!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Zimmer

I was a few lucky wins/unlucky losses away from losing the division to a team with a negative run differential, 125 runs worse than mine, that also lost 10 fewer one-run games than I did

it will still take a miracle to get past the second round, but w/e

uublog fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 26, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I was sitting at 4th best run differential in the AL with a well under .500 record for quite some time. Then I started tanking hardcore and now I've almost got a top 10 pick!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

I was sitting at 4th best run differential in the AL with a well under .500 record for quite some time. Then I started tanking hardcore and now I've almost got a top 10 pick!

outside of nas and AV, the AL is mostly poo poo

dat North

this is the first time I've seen an entire division win 90+ or a division winner who was that bad

e: wait n/m I think Art's lone division win was at 76-86 in S15. nonetheless, that's a real bad division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Depending on how Atlanta was fluctuating there were times where the AL West and AV had the only positive run differentials in the whole AL

• Locked thread