Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Won a HBD playoff series for the first time tonight (with my first division winner, too), p happy to get that out of way

For some reason I thought I'd play Tacoma in the second round and I have no idea how that made any sense but thankfully I don't and instead get Austin who's only five games better than me and would be a lot less fluky than my defeat of Rochester (I forgot to start my two best offensive pieces twice, a guy with 53 power hit 3 homers, a guy with 55 vR was 7-13 with two doubles and a homer against RHP, and they hit .338 as a team. SSS yay!)

btw 77-win Minnesota already defeated Arizona in the AL, despite a 7.46 team ERA (it's because of 11 homers and the only team OPS higher than mine) So in other words AV's probably gonna beat the poo poo out of 'em. nasboat's playing a Helena team that allowed 10 runs to Richmond and that will Definitely Not Last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I don't see any way it's not AV and nasboat in the ALCS

only because I'm not there to play nasboat

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Devo posted:

I don't see any way it's not AV and nasboat in the ALCS

only because I'm not there to play nasboat

lmao

your av should be of you owning nasboat and your title "Owner of nasboat"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Open League - The player of the game could have gone to so many guys

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I got this guy with the 12th pick in Zimmer. I think I'm in love.

Also NAME TOOLS

e: actually if you fill in the blanks between those two guys I think I had a really solid draft.

I don't mind taking a chance on low control pitchers as long as they have the other tools to make up for it.

I also like guys with a super elite pitch even if their splits are a little sub par.

Another low control guy with interesting tools. Hopefully he signs since he's a comp round guy.

Devo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 21, 2014

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I have no idea what to think of this dude. I'm certainly not spending what he thinks he's worth, but he's interesting. He'll certainly be a hell of a fielder and steal tons of bases if he ever gets on base.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

crappy hitter, probably won't hit glove projections, not worth the asking price

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ArtVandelay posted:

and steal tons of bases if he ever gets on base.

He won't

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like i'm going to pick this guy with my #2 pick in the Clemens draft. If he actually reaches these projections, he'll be a hell of a pitcher.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Art no. Noooooooo. There has to be someone better. That guy sucks.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Maddox and these guys are basically the top pitchers of the draft

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Byrne is better. Also you know you don't have to take a pitcher, right?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

Byrne is better. Also you know you don't have to take a pitcher, right?

Yeah, but I have a ton of hitting prospects and absolutely no pitching whatsoever. I really have to take at least 1 pitcher in this draft. I have the 2nd and 6th pick.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

Yeah, but I have a ton of hitting prospects and absolutely no pitching whatsoever. I really have to take at least 1 pitcher in this draft. I have the 2nd and 6th pick.

BPA, always draft BPA.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

There's actually a feature in the game where you can trade some of your hitting prospects for pitching when the time comes

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

There's actually a feature in the game where you can trade some of your hitting prospects for pitching when the time comes

Oh yes, and you know how well I utilize this feature!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

There are the top 4 hitters

I'd say Monroe will probably be the first pick in the draft

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'd gamble here and go

Monroe
Sheehan (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH PROSPECT CASH TO GET THE COMP PICK IF HE DOESN'T SIGN)
Byrne

then throw up in your mouth a little

Maddox
Lowell
Wells

That covers your #2 and #6 picks and that's all that really matters

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

There's also this Burrellballer right here. If only that right split was better :(

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

In random champs and chumps, I got the 1970AL, 1978NL, 1983NL, 1990NL. Apart from 1990 Barry, this is not a very impressive list of dudes.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So the guy with the first pick in Clemens just got back to me saying he sees no one better than Byrne, so he's going to pick him. That means Monroe is mine, unless I decide on Sheehan. Now I just get to freak out over who I get at pick #6.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm thankful for HoJo and Joss in my open league. (Just won the first round of the playoffs 3-1!)

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This team just won 96 games, and is tied for the best record in the Encore Twist league. I think this was the first time i've ever used Vlad, and it worked out pretty well, i'd say. Also Mel Rojas was pretty good.

Watch me get trounced in the first round of the playoffs, because that's the kind of thing that happens to me.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
vlad rules and won me a rule 5 season with the loving Angels of all teams and is probably my actual literal favorite player ever

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

Looks like i'm going to pick this guy with my #2 pick in the Clemens draft. If he actually reaches these projections, he'll be a hell of a pitcher.

Hahahaha I just realized this was guy who fell to #7 before I took over. I offered him the $5M-ish he wanted initially (because my predecessor obviously didn't bother to sign anymore and probably had already abandoned them by the time draft prep started) and his agent just today told me that he's turning down my offer and wants another $4M to sign. So I'll have two top-10 picks next season huzzah!

I'll write more about this team later, but it's in an even worse place than when I took over for Art in Dimaggio. A $104M payroll and every single payroll has some kind of gaping hole in his game to the point where even after fixing all the stamina messes, I still can't salvage enough out of this team to get them into contention in what is probably the worst division I've ever seen. Nearly the entire team is on some kind of awful contract, most because of whoever had it before this season, and some because the guy I took over from was a newbie who fell into the 6-year FA trap, which is a really lovely thing and we should def put a lot about that in our New Owner's Guide. Anyway, the good news is that no one's under contract past S29 so if I just wait it out until then and let all the contracts pass, in S30 I might be able to start being competitive.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I took over a terrible team as well. It had a couple of pieces, but nothing that could really net me more than 70 wins, so I traded most everyone who was was any good. There's actually some hope for this franchise now, though.

Greg Weatherford is of course incredibly overrated, but after a rough start, he's starting to hit and never ever draw a walk in the majors. Jaret Fox is going to rule. I'm going to seriously have to raid pitchers in free agency.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I just made the world series with that Vlad Guerrero team, mostly on the strength of my awesome pitching. I lost the first game 5-4, and then proceeded to give up 3 total runs in the final 4 games.

Let's see if I can win my 2nd world series!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Well, I won my 2nd world series! It was scary as hell, though. I lost the first game and then cruised easily for 3 wins, then my pitching fell apart and we went to game 7. Maddux pitches an awesome game seven (walked like 7 dudes, though), and we won 8-1. Almost had a drat heart attack!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can you guys recommend a good open league cheap catcher aside from Gene Tenace (who did not perform well for me previously)?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I've used Miguel Montero with some success on doubles teams (2012 I think? On my phone right now)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Isn't 1975 Gary Carter a good one to use?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Jim Sundberg is another useful guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kensei posted:

Isn't 1975 Gary Carter a good one to use?

Is this one of those things where I have to do the URL trick? Because his first year as a catcher is '76.

Also, w/ Montero I see it as having 3 choices:

2011: 18 HR, 36 2B, .282/.351/.469, 4.8M, 553PA

2009: 16HR, 30 2B, .294/.355/.478, 3.2M, 470PA

2012: 15 HR, 25 2B, .286/.391/.438, 5.1M, 573 PA

2012 is the best year defensively, but he also struck out a greater rate.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is this one of those things where I have to do the URL trick? Because his first year as a catcher is '76.

Also, w/ Montero I see it as having 3 choices:

2011: 18 HR, 36 2B, .282/.351/.469, 4.8M, 553PA

2009: 16HR, 30 2B, .294/.355/.478, 3.2M, 470PA

2012: 15 HR, 25 2B, .286/.391/.438, 5.1M, 573 PA

2012 is the best year defensively, but he also struck out a greater rate.

No, you hit the checkbox for secondary positions and set games played to 0, then he is there as a C.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

2012 Montero is definitely the one I've used a few times. He has way more OBP than the others and is less than 9000 $/PA with an A+ arm

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
The king of OL catchers is 2004 Brandon Inge.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I always forget Inge, I am going to add him to my next OL team. I got this guy in my AAA call ups:

I almost want to start him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can you guys make a recommendation to help me make a decent rotation/bullpen for under 40M in an OL? Here's my rotation, but it came in at 43.2 M

1908 Frank Smith
1901 Deacon Phillippe
1906 Jack Pfiester
1918 Allen Sothoron
1918 Jake Northrop (closer)
1908 Jack Ryan
2011 Josh Johnson
2002 Terry Mulholland
1996 Elmer Dessens

(the last two are mop up guys for minimum salary)

I also would appreciate advice re: whether I really need to spend 40M on my offence.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can you guys make a recommendation to help me make a decent rotation/bullpen for under 40M in an OL? Here's my rotation, but it came in at 43.2 M
You have over 1200 SP innings whereas you really only need 900 to 950 or so. You could get away with (3) 300+ IP starters with the remainder reinvested into your bullpen as one quick way to reshuffle the budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Ivan Drago posted:

You have over 1200 SP innings whereas you really only need 900 to 950 or so. You could get away with (3) 300+ IP starters with the remainder reinvested into your bullpen as one quick way to reshuffle the budget.

On this note how many AB/PA did you budget?

• Locked thread