Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Advent posted:

Ah yeah I should have looked first. S15 is .279/.342/.391 which is really, really low for a goon league.

MBU is singlehandedly propping that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Thanks for the world series jinx, Bob. :mad:

Also, Eddie Cicotte is the new Three Fucker Brown. gently caress you, Cicotte.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

AlleyViper posted:

I guess you'll just have to live with your extra $20 in addition to the WS runner-up credits :sigh:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AlleyViper posted:

The other team promised him half the GC's :rimshot:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm pretty sure Tony Phillips played a few games at SS, and has a D/D at fielding. Should I move him to SS and Wes Parker to 2nd?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm pretty sure Tony Phillips played a few games at SS, and has a D/D at fielding. Should I move him to SS and Wes Parker to 2nd?

Absolutely not. Parker could be bad at SS, Phillips will be bad at SS. Phillips meanwhile is an asset at 2B.

In other news, my RC&C team has been a lot of fun ever since my pitching decided to, y'know, pitch well.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 10, 2011

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Hey Garcenald, interested in playing our playoff series Live? I was originally worried about pitcher stamina, but everyone appears to be basically alright.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

Hey Garcenald, interested in playing our playoff series Live? I was originally worried about pitcher stamina, but everyone appears to be basically alright.

Yeah, I'm down. I'll hop on now.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Now that gardenald unceremoniously dismantled my team in every way possible, it's back to the drawing board to win that ever elusive 2nd world series. Here is my change of MDP's team. I'm using a couple offensive guys i've never used before, in Pietz, Grimes, Anderson, and Delahanty. Pitching is largely the same, except for Buttons Briggs, who I just want to try once for the hell of it.

Would this team be anywhere near as good as the last?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Would this team be anywhere near as good as the last?

Not even slightly.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

here are my rule V AAA players. Everybody is terrible, except for Gene Hermanski, who may be one of the more useful AAA players i've ever gotten.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Don't get too attached to them. sinfonian didn't realign the divisions so the league may be re-started.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Maybe this is more of a general baseball question, but what makes Deadball-era pitchers great in WiS while modern hitters suck?

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Great White Hope posted:

Maybe this is more of a general baseball question, but what makes Deadball-era pitchers great in WiS while modern hitters suck?

Deadball pitchers have ridiculous HR/9 that the sim does not properly adjust. Meanwhile, modern hitters are (arguably) overadjusted for era.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's also not so much modern hitters as much as hitters from the extreme offensive eras. Guys from the late 20s-30s and the 90s-00s tend to do poorly, especially power hitters vs. deadballers. The ones that do perform well are typically guys who were fast, hit lots of doubles, drew lots of walks or all of the above - Raines, Rickey, Abreu, Biggio, Boggs, etc. Those attributes don't get era-adjusted as badly as home runs do.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Since it's on my mind, here's a bit more detail as to why it happens in the sim. This is really oversimplified but I think it gets the point across well enough.

Let's look at '96 Mark McGwire. Mac hit 52 home runs in just 540 PAs, which is pretty remarkable in any era. But lots of home runs were being hit in the mid-late 90s - 27 players hit 35 or more home runs including Terry Steinbach, Henry Rodriguez and Ed Sprague - so WIS looks at McGwire's performance against the rest of the league that year and doesn't see those 52 home runs as that impressive. Thus, his home run rate gets normalized down.

Let's say that after normalization, McGwire's only going to hit 37 home runs. WIS doesn't reallocate those lost home runs into other hit types, it doesn't say "well, they may not be dingers but they'll instead be doubles or long singles," the normalization just kills off those home runs. So 52 to 37 is a loss of 15 hits for McGwire in '96 - that's dropping his average from a robust .312 to a more McGwire-like .277

That's still pretty solid, though. .277 and 37 home runs is nothing to sneeze at, especially since McGwire's walk totals are still pushing him around a .400 OBP. The thing is, this is assuming a league where there's a fairly equal spread of pitchers across all eras. This is where the real power of deadballers enters. Because deadball pitchers are SO GOOD at squelching home runs, in a league of ALL deadballers McGwire might only hit 20-25 home runs, possibly even less with bad luck or bad parks. And since McGwire barely hits any singles or doubles, even mediocre deadballers with fantastic home run rates can completely negate McGwire's bat, walks aside. Let's be generous and say Mac still hits 25 home runs in this league, that's another 12 hits off his total, now you're down to a .248 hitter instead of the .312 he actually hit.

.248 with 25 homers ain't so hot when you're paying for .312 and 52 and instead you can buy someone like Tim Raines at the same price who doesn't get killed by normalization OR deadballers. And if McGwire gets killed that bad, think of what happens to lesser guys like Henry Rodriguez.

Again, this is an extremely quick and dirty way to look at it. There's a lot of stuff this doesn't touch on, like debate on whether or not home runs actually become lesser hits like doubles in the actual simulation of games when you face a deadballer or are in an extreme pitchers' park. But that should give you the basic idea of why modern guys struggle in the sim against deadballers.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

If you want to get really in depth into it, WiS runs on the 'log5' calculation. Which is summed up here: http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf/scholars/levitt/articles/batter_pitcher_matchup.htm

The thing is, 'league average' in there, is then defined as 'the average of the Batters' league average and the Pitchers' league average'. A simple example, 1999's AL Home Run leader, Ken Griffey Jr vs. a League Average Pitcher from 1905 AL:

1905 HR/PA: .004
1999 HR/PA: .034
'League' HR/PA combined: 0.019

Ken Griffey HR/PA in 1999: .061

Thus log5 equation looks like this:

(( .061 * .004 ) / 0.019 ) / (( .061 * 0.004) / 0.019 + ((1 - 0.061) * ( 1 - 0.004) / ( 1 - 0.019)) = 0.013

Griff now gets: 0.013 HR/PA, Or 9.3 home runs in 706 PA. A league average deadball pitcher in 1905 gives up 9.3 home runs per 700 PA to 1999's AL home run leader, which is why people think modern guys suck so much. In truth, like AV said, you just have to draft things that aren't common in the modern eras, like speed, stolen bases, triples, etc.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

A little heads up to you guys who wanted in on 2 man band season 3. Now that i'm out of the job for a little bit, i'm in the process of making the thread in theme leagues classifieds. Check in a little bit and sign up!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

2 man band league thread is up! Evilbeard, I will pay for your season!
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=439123&TopicsTimeframe=30

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

2 man band league thread is up! Evilbeard, I will pay for your season!
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=439123&TopicsTimeframe=30

Not playing if I can not be guaranteed Greenberg/Koufax. I want my Jew Power.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Scrotos posted:

Not playing if I can not be guaranteed Greenberg/Koufax. I want my Jew Power.

You can get in right now with either one of them, but I can't guarantee you'll get the other. You might have to go with a different jewish pitcher.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

You can get in right now with either one of them, but I can't guarantee you'll get the other. You might have to go with a different jewish pitcher.

gently caress that noise.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Koufax and Shawn Green.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Scrotos posted:

gently caress that noise.
Take Koufax now and you can almost be guaranteed to snag pseudo-Jew Rod Carew with your later pick.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

In with Luke Appling!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've never used Pedro Martinez on a team before, time to extremely remedy that.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
In with Craig Biggio!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

What were the park restrictions on the 2-man Band league again? I assume it's a park one of your two guys played in at some point, yes? Or is it open?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Y'all are suckers I got Babe Ruth

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Ivan Drago posted:

What were the park restrictions on the 2-man Band league again? I assume it's a park one of your two guys played in at some point, yes? Or is it open?

As far as I remember, it was completely open.

I can't remember perfectly if there was a DH, but i'm going under the assumption that there was.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

As far as I remember, it was completely open.

I can't remember perfectly if there was a DH, but i'm going under the assumption that there was.

There was

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I can't remember perfectly

Perhaps you should have pulled up the last thread.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I love that there are now 8 goons in this league.

Edit: 9!

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 11, 2011

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Hell yeah I joined with Greg Maddux.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I'm in with Barrold Lamar

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gardenald posted:

I'm in with Barrold Lamar

Hellyeah. We need 2 more goons to take up half the league. we can do it, guys!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Art, how do you feel about being way ahead of the real baseball universe on the Vicente Padilla: Ace Closer bandwagon?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Art, how do you feel about being way ahead of the real baseball universe on the Vicente Padilla: Ace Closer bandwagon?

I always knew he had it in him

How much would you all pay me to make Padilla my 2 man band pitcher?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I always knew he had it in him

How much would you all pay me to make Padilla my 2 man band pitcher?

I would not pay you a drat thing but I would be endlessly entertained by it, at least until, y'know, it got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gardenald posted:

I would not pay you a drat thing but I would be endlessly entertained by it, at least until, y'know, it got old.

Just tried putting it together and he only has about 1500 innings. For this league, you need a good 2000+.

• Locked thread