Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
well i mean when the whole point is to get 3 guys to put up bonkers numbers and you're completely loving up 1/3 of your goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

well i mean when the whole point is to get 3 guys to put up bonkers numbers and you're completely loving up 1/3 of your goal

Nah the point was to get 2 guys to put up bonkers numbers and then see what happens with Teddy.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Really even letting those two guys put up bonkers numbers they should have been hitting 8th and 9th, not 1-2.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Somehow this team just went 95-67, and had the 3rd best record in the league. Also, I scored the most runs in the league.

Love McGwires line

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 28, 2013

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

Also, I scored the most RBI and runs in the league.

Art do you understand the relationship between RsBI and runs

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

Art do you understand the relationship between RsBI and runs

Well it's not 1:1

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

Well it's not 1:1

:downs: you're right of course.

E: also that was unnecessarily snarky, apologies art

gardenald fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Aside from Addie Joss, who are some of the most effective early 20th century pitchers in the context of the game? I'm mainly talking from about 1900-1940.

P.S. I assume because a lot of positional stars from the game in the 1930's aren't effective, there aren't many pitchers from the 1930's to be had that are good, is that correct?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 28, 2013

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Aside from Addie Joss, who are some of the most effective early 20th century pitchers in the context of the game? I'm mainly talking from about 1900-1940.

P.S. I assume because a lot of positional stars from the game in the 1930's aren't effective, there aren't many pitchers from the 1930's to be had that are good, is that correct?

Addie Joss, Ed Walsh, Grover Cleveland Alexander (in the DB as Pete Alexander because they hate joy), Addie Joss, Babe Adams, Cy Young, Addie Joss. There are scattered other guys who are usable in some contexts (namely "I want to make this pitching staff on $30m") - your Ed Sievers, your Noodles Hahns, etc - but those are the big names to know.

1930s hitters are bad because their offensive numbers adjust way down but they cost as though they didn't, 1930s pitchers are bad because their pitching numbers don't adjust down enough to be good but cost as though they did. The same thing happens with the 1950s really. There are a couple 30s guys who get used - one of the early 30s Ruths, 1931 Earl Webb, 1937 Rudy York, 1938 Hank Greenberg - but I don't think there are any starting pitchers in the 30s that I'd use over one of the deadballers. For relievers there's 1938 Dizzy Dean and that's basically it.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
the official cookie open league starting pitching staff is 1908 addie joss, 1909 cy morgan and 1909 ed summers

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

1907 Joss and 1905 Joss get used more than Morgan but yeah, oops, I forgot about Cy Morgan and Ed Summers

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In which my designated hitter hits a grand slam from both sides of the plate

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=59323553

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
This is gonna be a fun team.

160M cap, plus Way Above Average AAA. I figured I'd take advantage of the AAA and super-stack my offense, leaving my bullpen to be drafted in AAA.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Guys, we did it!

Addie Joss, W (40-5)

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/PlayerProfile.asp?ID=36775861&pr=0&pl=0&type=1

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

It happened! Il Bambino finally has a higher SLG than any non-Barry OPS!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I think Ill Bambino is going to be my rapper stage name

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

I think Ill Bambino is going to be my rapper stage name

How childish.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, Big T apparently isn't dead! Champs and Chumps is back!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It happened! Il Bambino finally has a higher SLG than any non-Barry OPS!

update:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

located as such

I've saved it as advanced but I still don't see ERC. Do I have to use Baseball Reference to find that part out?

Edit: Never mind, found it. What's the cutoff for ERC? About how low should it be, ideally?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 24, 2013

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So this is what i'm looking at for my champs and chumps team. 1972NL, 1994NL, 2001NL, 2011AL. I'm using the 01NL as my champs.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
This is what I'm looking at in the same league:

1976, 1978, 1983, and 2006 ALs, with the '06 AL as the champs.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm also thinking about this team. 2011AL as the champs.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Steve Carlton is a factory of sadness

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

Steve Carlton is a factory of sadness

I don't have too many other options. And I can't really use 94 as my champs because almost all of the functional relievers are in my 94 chump teams.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So I picked Al Hrabosky in Big T's intimidator league and this is what I think i'm going with. Yes, I know it's a lot of PA's, but I don't have a huge amount of options.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My team for an 110M league. I avoided going with power for the most part and focused on guys with a gift for extra-base hits and getting on base

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Final stats in the crazy league:

Team record: 6-156

(This is the 3rd iteration of the league, and they announced on the message board that the 4th iteration will have injuries enabled. :laugh:)

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 1, 2014

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I'm going to follow your gimmick in some form next iteration but with a team that will actually win.

I don't really understand the point of turning on injuries though.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

foolish_fool posted:

I'm going to follow your gimmick in some form next iteration but with a team that will actually win.

I don't really understand the point of turning on injuries though.

Basically they turned injuries on so that people can't go as extreme with my gimmick as I did.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

:stare: at this Bartmans guy in Mordecai.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Power of Pecota posted:

:stare: at this Bartmans guy in Mordecai.

Yea what the hell is his issue?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

His issue is that Pecota is a callous, insensitive dick. Let's kick him out of Dimaggio (and I'll take all his players).

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Random captain needs one more! Someone join!
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=474229&TopicsTimeframe=30

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

That's odd. I never got an indication that he'd sent me a site message for that. Oh well.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So this is basically what I got for Random Captain team. I got Rube Bressler. Crazy really didn't check out his captains as usual. Bressler's pitching is downright awful. There are 3 total functional relievers.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
robin roberts

not all that enthused with it otoh boog powell and granny "hammer" hamner

also two different guys with obps higher than their slugging

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Joined a 120M league where all of your offence and pitching has to come from a single decade. Chose the 90's for my offence, and 1900-1909 for my pitching staff. Would appreciate some feedback, planning on making Griffith my closer, have not fiddled with the lineup yet.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 15, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I feel like you can do a lot better than Steve Finley for a $6.5MM 90s OF, '93 Chris Hoiles is your 90s catching god, and why '03 Addie over '08?

And you have way too much money sitting on your bench.

e: '93 Tony Phillips is a better OF than Finley or a better 2B than Biggio for less than $7MM.

Devo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Devo posted:

I feel like you can do a lot better than Steve Finley for a $6.5MM 90s OF, '93 Chris Hoiles is your 90s catching god, and why '03 Addie over '08?

And you have way too much money sitting on your bench.

Any recommendations for the bench? Also, with Joss, just didn't feel like I had to spend the money for '03 Joss.

• Locked thread