Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
AlleyViper you should join Hardball Dynasty when we roll in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

I'm going to be scheduling for summer classes this week so this is pretty much not at all a good time for me to join HBD.

It will probably open up next weekend and the interesting stuff won't happen for another few days to a week after that. There's plenty of time!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Classes start in nine days soooooo...

There is literally nothing better to do during class than WIS stuff.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Do the goons who play both HBD and SLB do about the same in both games? Are there some guys who completely excel at one and not the other?

I don't know if there's a big enough sample of HBD seasons for, well, anyone. Most of us are under 10 even counting non-goon leagues.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

tbf unless you're building heavily polarized teams that are either real good or real bad (which would be me in both games), your playoff record is usually going to be worse than your regular season record due to quality of comp

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Oh I know, but it is still fun to complain.

Yeah I mean my Dimaggio regular season record is .632 and my postseason record is only .556 even with a WS victory and the sweeps this season

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I had a much better playoff rate before I started doing these tournaments with people that don't suck as bad as OLers

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

there was also talk (mostly by me) of doing a wis/sas twitter book club and dumping it in here so as to have a greater latitude w/r/t selection

I want to do this

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Dang, you guys are fast. I guess I'll join a goon league since people will be willing to help me learn the game. When is the next one starting?

SimLeague, a couple of months. Hardball Dynasty, a couple of days.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's opening in a week or so, but we've had major, major problems with new owners just vanishing so I'm not sure what process TMB is looking to put into screening.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Devo posted:

Well I'd like to think I'm reliable (I have nothing better to do with my time during the day), but I understand if you've had new owner problems. Just didn't want to sign up with a bunch of mouth breathers in an open league.

Oh no I'm not trying to blow you off and we're definitely going to have openings, I think there's just going to be a discussion among potential owners about not running out tired pitchers and such. PM ThatsMyBoye, he's the league commissioner, he'll know more about what's opening up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Art, how do you feel about being way ahead of the real baseball universe on the Vicente Padilla: Ace Closer bandwagon?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Just tried putting it together and he only has about 1500 innings. For this league, you need a good 2000+.

Joe Wood had 1490 and I had the best team in the league last year

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'll see that and raise you

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

When I was picking and slightly mad about forgetting Maddux when picking Walsh, I completely forgot that Walsh has the absurd 1908 season that nobody ever uses because of price point and number of innings in addition to the absurd 1910 season everyone uses, so now I am more confident in my pick there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's an open park selection, you can go to the Astrodome if you want. I don't really love Pedro for this theme because of the dingers, though the Ks are an interesting point.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

nasboat posted:

Wouldn't that be like, 27 picks? Eight more people to join who could take your co-captain when they join, then 19 picks on the way down to your round two selection?

or am I just way off about how this draft works

All the people that already took a pitcher can't take a hitter coming back, the second round is basically two different drafts

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

So i've never played this before, i chekced out the free game and it was pretty ridiculously overwhelming the volume of players that are arounda theme league like this seems like a decent time to start for that reason but also seems like it's weird to start in a super-heavy theme league on my first go, what do you think?

If the two man band league interests you, go for it, but it's mostly a fun/different league so it might not be a great first exposure unless you like bad defense a ton. If you want to wait for a bunch of us to play an open league together, I think there was interest in doing that within the next week or two recently.

We also have an IRC channel for discussion of such things!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Phillippe's not a bad pick, I was looking at before deciding I'd look for someone with less innings on account of having Ruth's to fall back on. Actually a good pick who's still around is Bob "loving" Caruthers, but I'm leaning for someone more like Toad Ramsey.

Bob Caruthers would be an awesome pick if you wanted to draft a short career deadballer like King Kelly and needed extra bats to go with him. As is, Bob's ERC# isn't really competitive with guys that are even left and his pitcher hitting doesn't matter so he's kind of lovely.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Did that dude seriously just pick lave cross. Oookay.

I was considering Lave Cross too FWIW

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I was going to take Cap and I think you knew that :smith:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

How bad is Ted Williams going to be defensively in this thing? He has some years that are not bad OF fielding and he's a RH thrower, but he's still an outfielder without speed.

But jesus christ I can build a lineup that hits a combined .361/.507/.670 with Ted.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Ted made something like 350 errors ar short in season 1.

I am pretty sure that dude didn't use the B+/C+ seasons at short.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Since the_weave is the only person left ahead of me in the hitter draft, I guess I can ask why Joe Cronin isn't on someone's team yet.

Offense not good enough for someone with no catcher seasons, IMO

My other choice that I am fairly surprised has not been taken was Joe Torre

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Suck it, wimps.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually played a $255m so I might join that one for kicks.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

This franchise tournament is giving me agita

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Hey, you chided me last week for being too worked up over it.

I was figuring we'd chug along in a comfortable 3rd or 4th. Now all of a sudden we're T-1 again!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dammit TMB, I was really hoping that Brent O'Donnell dropped his demands to three years.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Why is jeff using him at 3B when he is using Ryan Zimmerman at SS

Oops

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

It's usually used more for cheap performance guys - Ed Summers, HoJo, Walt Weiss, every reliever from 1915 - than the real major top-shelf guys like Joss, Ruth, Raines, etc.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Two cycles left, one game lead

:ohdear:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Why are you resting a 100% Cal Eldred when he's your second best reliever

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Now excuse me while I go furiously knock on wood.

I don't really have any unfavorable matchups and am actually starting against a few really mediocre pitchers in PM, more knock on wood:

95 Maddux (ATL, 79-82) vs. 09 Mathewson (NYG, 91-70) - neutral
05 Reulbach (CHC, 76-85) vs. 09 Carpenter (STL, 70-91) - favors us
77 Seaver (CIN, 82-79) vs. 63 Koufax (LAD, 61-100) - favors us
72 Sutton (LAD, 85-76) vs. 82 Soto (CIN, 75-86) - favors us
18 Toney (NYG, 95-66) vs. 09 Vazquez (ATL, 75-86) - favors us
15 Alexander (PHI, 87-74) vs. 19 Adams (PIT, 94-67) - neutral
09 Camnitz (PIT, 84-77) vs. 06 Sparks (PHI, 77-84) - neutral
81 Rincon (STL, 88-73) vs. 19 Alexander (CHI, 78-83) - neutral

I'd hope to go 6-2 as a median outcome given that slate, frankly. Carpenter, Soto, and Vazquez shouldn't even be rostered in this league (which probably speaks to why those teams suck).

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If I knew RC was going back to modern players I would have played, ah well. Those deadball seasons just got Real Boring.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Haha now we're each going to have another $250 in SLB-only credits.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Here's what my post retooling Gleeman World team ended up coming out at:

Don't know if I can compete, but I think I should at least be well clear of the win floor.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

And the very first prospect of this year is as good as anyone that came along last season:

I suddenly regret spending all my moneys.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I'm interested to see how many teams have Fred Lynn, Greenberg/Koufax and Killebrew/Snider.

My team has none of these guys, although I did consider using Lynn and Snider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

FWIW I have exactly two player seasons shared with that team and one of them is a reliever. I wouldn't be too worried about diversity of the player pool.

• Locked thread