Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
This thread is dedicated to any and all discussion regarding What If Sports that doesn't pertain to the dedicated leagues run in this forum. This is also the place for newbies curious about the game - if you have any questions about WIS or are interested in joining a league, feel free to ask. Everyone is welcome here.

What is What If Sports, you ask? The website hosts a number of sports-based simulation games spanning baseball, basketball, American football, hockey and football/soccer. Available to play are:

-Sim Leagues

In these, you build a team using historical players and pit them against other owners' teams. Want to build a team with Babe Ruth, Albert Pujols and Barry Bonds on the same field? You can. Want to see Peyton Manning throwing the ball to Jerry Rice? You can. LeBron James dishing to Michael Jordan? You can. This is the way to go if you want to build the team of your dreams.

-Dynasty

Dynasty games are similar to Football Manager, Out of the Park Baseball and similar, dedicated sim-style games you can purchase online. The big difference compared to those games is that you are always playing against other people. You'll run your team, set budgets, sign, draft (or recruit) players, determine strategies, and so on. Meanwhile you'll be competing with real people for those same players, in those same games, trying to outsmart your competition.

-Sim Match-up

This is a simple, free simulation engine where you can pit two teams, either historical or of your own creation, against each other. If you simply want to see what Sandy Koufax would do against the 1927 Yankees, or who would win between Jordan's Bulls and Kobe's Lakers, this is where you want to be. You can choose teams, set lineups and simulate games in a matter of seconds.

While you can do some exhibition seasons for free, to participate in full seasons of Sim Leagues or Dynasty games you must pay. Prices vary from game to game but you're typically looking at a $10-15 investment for a season which lasts about 3 months real time. Performing well will allow you to earn credits redeemable for new teams, or reward points which can be used for a number of different things. Several of us have gotten to the point where we basically fund our WIS teams simply by playing the game and if you want our help, you can too!

There is a pretty dedicated userbase among goons and we're all friendly and helpful for anyone looking to get into the game. We've even gone so far as to start our own fantasy baseball league consisting strictly of WIS players. Feel free to hop in here and ask questions or join the discussion, we won't chase you off! Promise!

Related links:

Google docs link to previous Sim League spreadsheets (I've been lazy and haven't updated this in awhile).

WIS SAS Wiki page

What If Sports' own forums. A good place to go and just poke around if you're curious about any of the games. There's a lot of good info/strategy to be found as well as classifieds for finding leagues to join.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm going to be scheduling for summer classes this week so this is pretty much not at all a good time for me to join HBD.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

It will probably open up next weekend and the interesting stuff won't happen for another few days to a week after that. There's plenty of time!

Classes start in nine days soooooo...

kensei posted:

Woo new thread! Will we be tracking OL rushes here, I am down to only 2 active teams...

This is for everything that's not one of the dedicated goon league threads.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In other league news

code:
Owner          Owner Rating
alleyviper     17234
parking31      6541
midknight     -21706
gee51         -169309
Either this division will be a laugher or incredibly frustrating. There will be no middle ground.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Despite explicitly telling sparky not to, he still played Brendan Harris :gonk: over Justin Morneau in game 7 of the LCS.

I still won, thankfully. Lefty Williams is my hero.

saintonan posted:

I can't guarantee I'm going read this thread if it's 99.99% SimLeague, but I will post my moment of vindication:

I'm sure nasboat would appreciate being able to post about his 4 billion HBD teams here so feel free to go on about whatever. I wouldn't mind if there were some discussion on the other sports here, too.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Actually when I'm not building a team I only spend 25-30 minutes a day on my sim league teams. Even less than that when I don't have more than a dozen teams going like right now.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Do the goons who play both HBD and SLB do about the same in both games? Are there some guys who completely excel at one and not the other?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I do about the same, which is to say I am fair to middling in each.

Funny you say this since you're one of the best SLB players we have.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Accident Underwater posted:

You all just need need to step it up when it counts

Playoff appearances: 6
Full seasons: 14

Playoff rate: 43%

Stepping it up when it counts is nice and all if you can actually get to where it counts :smugdog:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

My 15 last place team is so awesome.

Leading the league in ERA, only team not to allow a homer, Joe Fuckin' McGinnity.

This season's gonna rock.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If I win the RC World Series I will front Groucho for his first team.

Everybody root for me now!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Sure he does AV and epic playoff collapses go hand in hand.

boom

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's a little clunky doing things on my Blackberry but there are far, far less mobile friendly sites so it's not too bad.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Would you recommend joining the HBD or being patient and waiting for the SimLeague

They are completely different games. Check the OP of this thread for very brief descriptions of them both. Bob's been trying to get you into sim leagues, I believe, and we could easily make you an open league team and get a few goons in it as well.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He looks pretty good but the problem that's always there with using offensive infielders is that they're not cheap. For instance, you can get comparable or better production out of '15 Gavvy for half a mil less and more PAs. '85 Raines averages more RC on average for a couple hundred grand more, many more PAs and good OF defense.

Of course, if you've got the budget to use someone like Grimes then absolutely you go for it.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'd just look at how many innings you drafted for Coors, consider how fatigue is currently working for you, then adjust from there. You'll need fewer IP at Hilltop than Coors.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

How to lose a game in which Addie Joss pitches 9 shutout innings

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

(now that I say this you're hosed)

You've got approximately 12 hours to fix this.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

How is it letting you place Wes Parker at SS when he's a first baseman?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm actually really curious what Parker could do at SS so just as a test case I'd much rather he keep it as is.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

On the other hand, Parker has an A glove and middle-of-the-pack A+ range for a 1B. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he does better than Foxx, especially since C glove 3Bs, especially non-modern ones, make a bunch of errors at position, let alone OOP.

I mean, if I were to wager on it I'd bet that Parker does poorly but that's why I want to see how it plays out instead of just assuming he'll suck.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for the world series jinx, Bob. :mad:

Also, Eddie Cicotte is the new Three Fucker Brown. gently caress you, Cicotte.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm pretty sure Tony Phillips played a few games at SS, and has a D/D at fielding. Should I move him to SS and Wes Parker to 2nd?

Absolutely not. Parker could be bad at SS, Phillips will be bad at SS. Phillips meanwhile is an asset at 2B.

In other news, my RC&C team has been a lot of fun ever since my pitching decided to, y'know, pitch well.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 10, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Would this team be anywhere near as good as the last?

Not even slightly.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Don't get too attached to them. sinfonian didn't realign the divisions so the league may be re-started.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's also not so much modern hitters as much as hitters from the extreme offensive eras. Guys from the late 20s-30s and the 90s-00s tend to do poorly, especially power hitters vs. deadballers. The ones that do perform well are typically guys who were fast, hit lots of doubles, drew lots of walks or all of the above - Raines, Rickey, Abreu, Biggio, Boggs, etc. Those attributes don't get era-adjusted as badly as home runs do.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Since it's on my mind, here's a bit more detail as to why it happens in the sim. This is really oversimplified but I think it gets the point across well enough.

Let's look at '96 Mark McGwire. Mac hit 52 home runs in just 540 PAs, which is pretty remarkable in any era. But lots of home runs were being hit in the mid-late 90s - 27 players hit 35 or more home runs including Terry Steinbach, Henry Rodriguez and Ed Sprague - so WIS looks at McGwire's performance against the rest of the league that year and doesn't see those 52 home runs as that impressive. Thus, his home run rate gets normalized down.

Let's say that after normalization, McGwire's only going to hit 37 home runs. WIS doesn't reallocate those lost home runs into other hit types, it doesn't say "well, they may not be dingers but they'll instead be doubles or long singles," the normalization just kills off those home runs. So 52 to 37 is a loss of 15 hits for McGwire in '96 - that's dropping his average from a robust .312 to a more McGwire-like .277

That's still pretty solid, though. .277 and 37 home runs is nothing to sneeze at, especially since McGwire's walk totals are still pushing him around a .400 OBP. The thing is, this is assuming a league where there's a fairly equal spread of pitchers across all eras. This is where the real power of deadballers enters. Because deadball pitchers are SO GOOD at squelching home runs, in a league of ALL deadballers McGwire might only hit 20-25 home runs, possibly even less with bad luck or bad parks. And since McGwire barely hits any singles or doubles, even mediocre deadballers with fantastic home run rates can completely negate McGwire's bat, walks aside. Let's be generous and say Mac still hits 25 home runs in this league, that's another 12 hits off his total, now you're down to a .248 hitter instead of the .312 he actually hit.

.248 with 25 homers ain't so hot when you're paying for .312 and 52 and instead you can buy someone like Tim Raines at the same price who doesn't get killed by normalization OR deadballers. And if McGwire gets killed that bad, think of what happens to lesser guys like Henry Rodriguez.

Again, this is an extremely quick and dirty way to look at it. There's a lot of stuff this doesn't touch on, like debate on whether or not home runs actually become lesser hits like doubles in the actual simulation of games when you face a deadballer or are in an extreme pitchers' park. But that should give you the basic idea of why modern guys struggle in the sim against deadballers.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Koufax and Shawn Green.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I can't remember perfectly

Perhaps you should have pulled up the last thread.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

the Ks are an interesting point.

Quick, someone grab Nolan Ryan Dazzy Vance!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I wouldn't make the two man band league your first foray into WIS unless that league just sounds really, really fun to you. The player selection is simpler but it has a very sneaky and pretty large degree of difficulty if you don't know what you're doing.

ArtVandelay posted:

Well, this 2 man band league is just about the easiest theme league you could possibly partake in.

For picking players, yes. For trying to make a decent team when you don't know what you're doing, no.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone give a logical explanation for why my gimmick team is in first place and tied for the 2nd best record in our OL? Something other than "Kirby Puckett and Addie Joss own?"

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Um, that's clearly sustainable. Don't know what you're on. :colbert:

Regardless, my pythag is still pretty good, and is even better when you adjust for the fact that 26% of my runs have been given up by one guy in throwaway games.

What I am learning from this team, though, is that you really can just build your pitching staff however you like so long as you have enough quality innings. Despite having one dedicated starter, 5 swingmen and four dedicated short relievers, I'm in great shape stamina-wise. I've only had to start Addie on short rest two or three times.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Inge is 36%

Schang averages 54 RC in more games played compared to Inge's 56 so I'm not sure the offense is that much better either.

Inge looks better to me but at their level of production it's not like you're talking a make or break for your team choosing one over the other.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm tempted to run this in an open league

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

:siren: http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14694993&pid=1&pbp=1 :siren:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

Who's to say that the last guy that picked even site-mailed the correct person?

If the rules are explained properly ahead of time it shouldn't be an issue.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I just jumped in this league

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

The way Jose Bautista is hitting, he's going to single-handedly lower Target Field from -4/-4 to -2/-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

kensei posted:

I don't think either will play, but give me one of each please.

Wouldn't it be better to do this in the WIS forum thread (especially so the other owners can see that you're getting 200k guys)?

• Locked thread