Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I took the first 3 from jeff in that league to open the season, which is my minor retaliation for him destroying me in the HBD Dimaggio playoffs. I'm sure he'll take that swap any day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Do the goons who play both HBD and SLB do about the same in both games? Are there some guys who completely excel at one and not the other?
I do about the same, which is to say I am fair to middling in each. I don't see why you couldn't excel at both since it's all about how much time you invest in your teams.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

How is it letting you place Wes Parker at SS when he's a first baseman?
You can put any player in any position with a little URL trickery. It's the same way you create an entire offense full of Tim Raines and Rickey Henderson at each position.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Scrotos posted:

gently caress that noise.
Take Koufax now and you can almost be guaranteed to snag pseudo-Jew Rod Carew with your later pick.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

What were the park restrictions on the 2-man Band league again? I assume it's a park one of your two guys played in at some point, yes? Or is it open?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Scrotos posted:

Well you know who I want so if it gets to me Art feel free to auto pick for me.
Put Jim Gentile on his Jewish team.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Color me stupid, but I've just realized there were two guys named Dutch Leonard. Here I was thinking he'd simply learned to throw with the other arm midway through his 40-year career.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

My team is well over the salary cap. I could probably shave off a few of these 9,500 PA though.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

What, how, how are you over the 255m cap, Ruth + Feller isn't over it and i'm not even sure it's possible
I wasn't only over, I was at around $310m

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

Your turn to pick your pitcher :)

How the hell did you get that high?
Because Rogers Hornsby and John Clarkson cost a lot. Granted you don't need half of those seasons, but filling up 25 slots ends up being costly. In fact, I can only fit 24 of them on my team. I'll need a 200k scrub I think to take that last spot just to fit under the cap.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

200k hitter or pitcher?
I only have 8 Clarksons so I'll have a pitcher. Bill Clarkson has a $300k season that would keep things in line. You can pick whoever though, it's not like I'll need them.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Hah, the unstoppable triumvirate that is Rogers Hornsby, John Clarkson and Jeff Suppan!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

kensei posted:

I have no goons in my division in the Two Man Band league, but one guy has 28 championships. Yikes.
There's a guy with 56 championships in the division Nasboat and I are in. I got stuck in a division in the last-place teams league with a guy with 46 too.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

toadee posted:

I would call Raines a cookie player.

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/stat_snapshot.asp will show you the most used players, '83 and '86 show up there, although nothing compared to '87 Coleman and '80 Dilone.
I have 1977 Tim Foli on a team and had absolutely no idea until now that he had any performance history whatsoever. He's on my bingo team I believe.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Interesting park choices in the 2-man band league with seemingly over half the owners taking +1B/2B/3B but -HR parks.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I'm interested to see how many teams have Fred Lynn, Greenberg/Koufax and Killebrew/Snider.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

AV, not only are our credits in but they're global credits which means I can use saved points for Amazon cards and stuff like that instead of HBD teams :woop:

Also bragpost from before spending any of it:

What's the secret to earning credits and free seasons? Aside from building winning teams of course. I've done reasonably well in both HBD and in sim leagues but it seems the biggest rewards I get are a couple bucks off my next season. Are open leagues the key?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

gardenald posted:

Here we go, Macho Man team 1st edition
This is pretty much my exact team with Brett replacing Rose. My pitching staff is godawful though and I should probably change it, but won't. I only have 5 pitchers.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

My interest in fantasy baseball has waned as the prominence of day baseball has increased over the last few years. Back in college I could set my team once a day and be done with it, save for the odd Cubs game, but not any more. Combined with how it screwed up my schedules when I was still at the radio station and day baseball has been nothing but an inconvenience for me for the last few years.

Maybe in a few years I'll grow to like it but for now, gently caress Day Baseball.

In actual WIS content, I've gotta imagine Ivan's a good bet to make round 2 in the WISC.
It's funny you mention disliking day baseball stemming from missing a quality Colby Lewis start since Texas still only play about 2 of these day games a year due to the heat! I used to hate that decades ago because day baseball seemed cool when I was in school, but I've appreciated the ultra-night schedule since starting a 9-5 career years and years ago.

Kudos again for the WISC predictions, although I still contend I'm very mediocre. My only championship came because I had the first overall pick in our progressive draft and immediately built a team to compete hard that first season! Sidenote: what does "SLL Not Allowed" mean in the league theme descriptions? I'm sure it's obvious.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I think the 90m pitching/defense league is deceptively tough to build a team for.
I have some ideas for competitive-but-unique teams for each league but this one. This one will be the thorn in my side I'm sure.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

His 200k guy played every game against me recently, but he was complete poo poo and ended up losing one of those games with an error or something so I didn't really mind.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I don't understand how people are having stamina issues, but that's probably because I took John Clarkson and his 900 IP/162 per season.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

The downloadable pitcher/player CSV files have a lot of statistical information for each player in the database, but it's lacking stuff like HR/100 just to name one item. Is there a way to get some of that other information in one sortable file?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

toadee posted:

Take the CSV, parse it with your favorite programming language (perl is the right answer you philistine).
I mean the problem is that the CSV doesn't have the complete set data to begin with. It's missing many of the advanced statistics like SecA, 2B/100# and numerical fielding ratings. Certainly some of those are things I would never use in a hundred years when building a team, but being able to sort by 3B/100# would be handy in a pinch. What I'm wondering is if there's an easy way to find a list with those other missing statistics in a CSV file? Probably not though.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

toadee posted:

In practice its kind of a bitch.
Not as much of a bitch as manually entering that data for 40k+ players! Thanks for the help. I've never really needed that level of accuracy when building teams, but it would be nice to have and I may give it a shot if it isn't too big a headache.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

toadee posted:

An attempt to save the rest of my Overalls

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14906729&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95
I guess pitchers cap at 255 pitches? If you add up the walks, hits and outs he had to have thrown more. I guess they're shot at that point anyway so it doesn't matter much.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

How do you make a 2-man rotation work early in a season? Ed Walsh has plenty of innings (495) to support his role and only threw 6 innings and 100 pitches in his first game, but he'll be starting the third game of this season at 65%. Having never used a 2-man rotation, are there some tweaks I should have made?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

WISC leagues were created. Was anyone else entered into this aside from us three?
code:
Owner	     70M     80M     90M     100M     110M     120M
alleyviper   1-D     2-B     3-C     4-B      5-C      6-D
rmdriskill   1-D     2-B     3-A     4-D      5-D      6-A
tjefferson   1-B     2-B     3-A     4-D      5-D      6-D
Also I'm ranked 48th out of 96 in the tournament based on his algorithm, which means I have a 50-50 chance of overperforming of underperforming!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Finally after years I've finally gotten not one but two halfway decent DitR. These guys were both crap before as they usually are. Jair was a guy I targetted from Scrotos in a trade last season with the explicit hopes that he would get a DitR. I doubt either of them see half those gains with their low makeup, but it's better than what I normally get.

Jair Romero
Louis Hunter

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll leave it to everyone else to figure out how I fit this into the WISC $110m theme.
How are you squeezing Eddie Collins on that team?

E: I guess he played in '28 but didn't get enough PA to be in the sim league roster, which still makes him available? That's clever.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

kensei posted:

That blows. I just noticed (and will likely jinx) that I have a 19 game winning streak in Two Man Band. I had no idea.
(and will likely jinx)!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I really have no idea. The only guy I can find who is even semi-comparable in any world I have access to is Raymond Petrick and he's not really quite the same. I don't know whether he's Juan Pierre or Ichiro or somewhere in between.
I was going to say he reminds me of Raymond Petrick. Petrick hit a home run in the first game of the season against you, which was the first of his career and only the second in his life.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

kensei posted:

I jinxed it the first time, but I don't care: My team is now on a 26 game winning streak in Two Man Band. Best record is mine, along with the best ever Cap Anson season.
At one point I had a double digit game lead on you in the division, then you went on that ridiculous tear. That's impressive.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I'm finding I really don't like the 120m WISC league.
I found it harder to build than the 100m league despite the simplicity of the rules. Trying to guess how other teams were going to approach it was half the trouble.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I still have the $120m team to finish, which on paper sounded like the easiest at the beginning.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Raymond Petrick skipped HiA, but in LoA he had an oddly similar .330/.438/.394 with 47/9 SB/CS.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Did anyone NOT pick 1914 Tris Speaker in the WISC $110m league? Good Lord.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

We have four in our league including jefferson's team obviously, and still less than half the people have changed their names at this point.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

We've got:

Tris Speaker (jefferson)
Tris Speaker
Tris Speaker
Tris Speaker
Tris Speaker
Jeff Bagwell
Charlie Gehringer
Jim Gilliam
Everett Scott
Pete Alexander
Mariano Rivera
Jimmie Foxx
Willie Mays
Wade Boggs (me)
Sandy Alomar Jr.

The Speakers are not a joke, and jefferson's division has three of them plus a guy who hasn't renamed his team yet (pending realignment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

My WISC strategy:
1. Can I use '08 Addie Joss?
2. Can I use '89 Howard Johnson?

It turns out in fact that you can use them fairly often. From there, I'd fill out my starting rotation and lineup, which as you can see below left my bullpen as an afterthought on a majority of these teams.

70m - Single Season Half Team
I went with the '89 Mets for this one and actually found it fairly simple to built around them. They have a ton of guys with middling salaries which led to a good deal of flexibility, but also meant I needed 11 guys just to cover the $35m minimum. I left out Magadan and Strawberry simply due to the flexibility. The offense is mediocre but they can cause problems if they get on base due to their speed, like many players from that time period. The pitching is fairly weak but that's the price you pay for HoJo and fast guys I guess.

80m - Two Decades
I didn't put a huge amount of thought into my decades. I started with 1900's pitching for Joss and 1980's hitting since I had already finished my 70m team and scoured the decade during that process. The offense is much the same as the 70m team. The SP are fine but the bullpen is pretty rough.

90m - Pitching and Defense
My only offensive strategy to speak of was squeezing Foxx in at 3B due to his availability through arm strength and having Lange in the OF due to his 1B defense, which probably isn't that big a deal anyway. There's not a whole lot you can control on offense so I focused on pitching and took pretty much every cookie pitcher you can find just for fun. It's almost comical.

100m - 4-SP & Teammates
Like most people, this one took me the longest just due to playing around with so many different options. I finally settled on going with a 3-man rotation with my last SP simply being selected for his teammates. It's the first chance I've had to use Babe Ruth in any league so I've got that going for me. Unfortunately none of my pitchers had quality bullpen teammates so that's gonna cost me. Pennock will get lit up but I think he was worth the choice to grab Ruth, Gehrig and Lazzeri.

110m - Veteran Two-Season Twist
Wade Boggs was the first guy I thought of in this theme and ultimately the veteran I chose. I tried out dozens of others though like Nig Clarke, George Burns, Ty Cobb, Addie, Maddux, etc. Ultimately I settled on Boggs though twisting his '86 Red Sox season with his '97 Yankees season. I'm not too happy about Tom Seaver and that Paul O'Neill season costs way too much, but overall I'm fairly happy here. An alternative was to use an earlier Boggs season to open up Yaz, Eckersley, Jim Rice and others, but I thought Clemens and Sambito trumped that slightly.

120m - Let's Get Some Hits
Not much to speak of here aside from the fact I really wanted Sam Thompson in my lineup to fill one of the .400 spots at a reasonable price. I managed to grab another Babe Ruth and the first time I've had a chance to use '41 Williams, so I'm pretty excited about that. The pitching had a focus on low OAV, although I'm not sure how much it will help in this league. I took a gamble on Nolan Ryan to try and strike a few people out. It's one of his lower walk seasons but I'm afraid that will still come back to bite me. I hope I drafted enough innings.

Overall I don't think I spent enough time crunching numbers and would be shocked if I made it to the second round.

• Locked thread