Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

AlleyViper you should join Hardball Dynasty when we roll in a week.

this x1000. C'mon. You might just find your very own Brook Jacoby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

Actually when I'm not building a team I only spend 25-30 minutes a day on my sim league teams. Even less than that when I don't have more than a dozen teams going like right now.

HBD doesn't take that much more time a day, really. You just can't let it go for a week during the preseason like every new owner we've tried out recently has done. Once you hire coaches, FA, and Arbitration, it's just like SL. Check your scores/injuries, and if you have an stamina problems you have to adjust your rotation or whatever. The draft you can do in spurts, because you have a few days to look over prospects from when they're released to when the draft is.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ivan Drago posted:

I do about the same, which is to say I am fair to middling in each. I don't see why you couldn't excel at both since it's all about how much time you invest in your teams.

This, though I have my seasons in SL, and my HBD is on the uptick I think.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't know if there's a big enough sample of HBD seasons for, well, anyone. Most of us are under 10 even counting non-goon leagues.

Counting this season here is DiMaggio:

doran_doran 9
gardenald 4
nasboat 3
I Challenge Thee 1
Evilbeard 11
wolfhoundkl 1 (19 other seasons in another league)
Jeffersonlives 6
Scrotos 7
Ivan Drago 6
Art Vandelay 11
dryb 7
trenchfoot 1
operaterp 10
ensgdt 11
CanadianJericholeaf 11
dontreadonme 1
popero 3
Gyroball 7
TMB 11

Though really, since TMB, ensgdt, Art, CJL all really started at the same time, it really took us a few seasons to figure things out and correct our mistakes. Now we have a pretty good wealth of experience to help our new players.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Regular Season record: 729-1053 (.409)

:sigh:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Shabazz posted:

Yeah, me too.

I'm down.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
In with Craig Biggio!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

gonna hit some doubles.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14748182&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

This is gonna be awesome.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I was shocked that you didn't include his minor league baseball career, like "draft a player who played for xxxx".

edit: RIP Randy "Macho Man'' Savage. Before wrestling days, he was a minor leaguer w/ #reds, #stlcardinals & #whitesox. Given name: Randy Poffo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQ2EnGWvAs

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2011

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scrotos posted:

3 games in and 15 steals. 2 man band is fun.

Biggio rules. Won my series by a cumulative score of 49-7. :)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

League first!

League first what?

assuming CGSHO.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I dunno if that was the best game, because I just took a 50 run shellacking at the hands of Mickey Mantle.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

drat you, AV. I didn't think building a Macho Man team would be so tough. I have to shave a lot of salary.

:mad:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Macho Man team. Playing in Tiger Stadium. Added two scrub pitchers for some garbage innings.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 27, 2011

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would never use Koufax, but I did consider using Joe DiMaggio or Yogi Berra as Italians.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

I think we're all going to end up with a team like this. I just put one together before having looked at your post, and we're practically identical.

oh gently caress. It's doomed to failure now.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's Jeffersonlives' Macho Man team. He can't currently post it because he got probated for not liking The Miz.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
:staredog:

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14844193&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

When are those last two jerks joining the Macho Man league?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Welp, RC&C is all down to 9-9 1981 Atlee Hammaker going up against 8-19 1996 Schilling for me. It would just be a microcosm of the season for Schilling to shut my offense down.

I have 15-14 1971 Gary Nolan going against 17-19 1967 Gaylord Perry. I need a win for sure. Otherwise, it's lose the division or we're in a playoff.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

I have 15-14 1971 Gary Nolan going against 17-19 1967 Gaylord Perry. I need a win for sure. Otherwise, it's lose the division or we're in a playoff.

:(

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ivan Drago posted:

How do you make a 2-man rotation work early in a season? Ed Walsh has plenty of innings (495) to support his role and only threw 6 innings and 100 pitches in his first game, but he'll be starting the third game of this season at 65%. Having never used a 2-man rotation, are there some tweaks I should have made?

It's early, just pull him back a few pitches.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

In RC&C for next season I got 1983 AL and 1962 NL again. For two years in a row.

TOMMY DAVIS

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

Just a heads up to the Aaron people. If I decide to re-sign Don Christenson, he'll be available for a trade.
http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=1685801

51 Power? bleh.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I took over a terrible, mismanaged team in Aaron. I have this deal available:

I'm Monterrey. I get:

He gets:

I think this is a fairly even trade, but would really hurt my pitching depth. Here is my current rotation:

I have Johnny Holland in AAA, but he needs at least another year to grow (the last owner apparently loved to rush prospects to the ML squad). Here is Holland.

I like Maranon more than Holland, but the owner is set on winning the WS this year, and wants Maranon for his bullpen. I'm not sure if the offensive boost from Guillen is worth cost of a good young pitcher, but I love his bat. Holland has a great GB/FB rating and great pitches, but that control makes me want to puke. What say you?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

And the one that knocked out gardenald too! I'm still kind of in shock that it actually happened, since I expected my only halfway decent playoff pitcher to be Sandy Koufax, and I think he lost every one of his starts. But Gaylord Perry became like an avatar of Shiva or something. I'm also up 2-1 in the first round of the TOC with the team, it's time to see just how far my luck can take me there.

Thanks Scrotos!

I can't believe I coughed up another division lead in the last days of the season. :sigh: Congratulations anyway!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Andres Javier is mine. MORE DINGERS!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The regular season in Aaron is about to begin. Last year's division winner in the AL South had a 76-86 record. I'm hoping I can mash enough dingers in Monterrey to get near .500.

Behold:

and vomit:

let's see how this little experiment goes.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 30, 2011

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Anubis posted:

My Aaron team is in shambles. We don't have any pitching, the hitting really isn't there and I have a ton of bad contracts I have to wait to get off the books. Oh and I'm at my salary cap so there's no hope of improving for at least another season or two. Oh well, guess that's why the last guy abandoned it.

you get to change your payroll every year, adjusting your budget items. I'm sure you have a few young guys in the pipeline.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Anubis posted:

These are the guys that would start either this year or next on my team.
Carl Dreifort
Omar Megias
Jim Rodgers

I was thinking you might want Buddy Horton (+$3m to help offset that rather large salary) and another major league guy that you could plug in for trying to win this year. Look around my roster, I can't give up any starting pitching but that's only because I'm already very short on that in addition to one of my guys going on the 15 day DL.

Your team is 2-0. You've lied to me.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scrotos posted:

The two man band league where EB and I refuse to win is pretty hilarious.

L10

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Art's scouting. :rolleyes:

Here is the guy I took first:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanks for Duran, nasboat.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I prefer IDPs.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
WiS Fantasy Football Edition

The password is: hojo

edit: I had to make a new league to include sacks as a scoring stat. If you joined before, rejoin now!

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 11, 2011

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thanks for Duran, nasboat. :coolfish:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
We need 2 more for the Fantasy Football league guys. You know you want to:

Draft is tomorrow!