Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Anyone who plays baseball sim games should read The Universal Baseball Association, Inc. J. Henry Waugh, Prop. by Robert Coover. Unfortunately, it's currently out of print. Fortunately, if amazon is to believed, there will be reprint in August.

So not very helpful but everyone remember to check that out if you haven't already.

edit: Robert Coover owns in general. The Public Burning is probably one of the most underrated books ever

gyroball fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

Maybe this is more of a general baseball question, but what makes Deadball-era pitchers great in WiS while modern hitters suck?

Deadball pitchers have ridiculous HR/9 that the sim does not properly adjust. Meanwhile, modern hitters are (arguably) overadjusted for era.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I always wanted to do a league like this, no idea why I never signed up before. I know I'm going to regret Mantle but hey gotta go with my heart in a wacky league like this

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

nasboat posted:

Why are the two drafts separate? I don't understand why we're not just going in order, with everyone picking either a hitter or pitcher, whichever one they didn't take first time around.

There's really no reason to do it as a single draft or as two drafts, but this way I get to start considering my pitcher as soon as manifunk picks so I don't mind. The way things are going (Gibson was my standout hope) I'll need the extra time :smith:

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah so I figured Gibson or Perry would make it this far, gimmie fifteen minutes or so :sweatdrop:

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

All my targets blacklisted or off the board...totally lost...Deacon Phillippe? Yeah I don't even know who that is.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I'm sure the Ruth/Bonds teams will dwarf it, but I'm pretty happy with the 7000 PAs of .313/.437/.602 my current twelve Mantles are getting me.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Scrotos posted:

I will draft him and trade him to you Gyro, hurry up and join the league :v:

If there's an opening next time maybe I will. I liked having two teams briefly when I took over the 7mantle7 team but that franchise was so hosed I couldn't bring myself to re-up.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

So how dumb is this contract really? It was a drunk/panic signing I made when I was setting my spring training lineups at midnight and realized I didn't have two decent corner outfielders and saw a guy with 94 power available.

I ask because someone out of the blue sent me a trade offer for him and I could get out of the commitment I made. I don't get much in return ( this guy ) but I don't have to deal with the contract!

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Scrotos posted:

I wanted to sign that guy but did not want to give up the picks or that much money, you were suppose to let him sit and his demands go down :argh:

Ended up rejecting the deal, I'm keeping Pagnozzi. Dingers above all forever

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I would have never made it through Law School without HBD during class

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

In order to live up to my gimmick, I'll be contrary. Bear in mind that I have literally no experience with players like Romero, so there's a fair bit of conjecture going on.

They're both COF/1b/DH dudes. Arguably Cedeno shouldn't play in the outfield but in my defense-hating perspective there's no reason he can't play LF. Personally, I hate 12 power in a corner position. But it's more than that. Romero has no power, mediocre eye, and poor speed. His offense is going to be very AVG heavy. Even though HBD has no concept of BAbip or poo poo like that, I've observed that AVG fluctuates with a fair amount of inconsistency, and that makes me wary of Romero.

Those contact/vR numbers are great but honestly I haven't seen a consistently good HBD hitter that makes it on contact/vR alone. Usually there's speed or power to back it up.

But this is all conjecture informed by a knee-jerk reaction against a corner OF with 12 power. I have no idea how to really judge a player like Romero. There aren't many guys with value so tied up in contact/vR. The best I can do is find a reasonable comp in Mordecai: this guy, who has been pretty drat bad . Basically, he makes really low power/low speed look like a TERRIBLE combo.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

My team, the Hartford Hundleyballers, hit the most home runs in Mordecai in only my second season :smugdog:

Other than that they were decidedly awful.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I think the risk that your scouting is so bad that it's over 20 points wrong on Brito is small enough. Brito probably can't do anything for you ever at the ML level. At the absolute worst, Mercedes will crush some vL pitching. And maybe his other numbers are good enough to compensate against vR and be decent. I'm not sure. But I'd make that trade without much hesitating at all.

disclaimer: this trade involves you receiving a player that may hit 100 power, my advice may be biased

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Not sure how the hell this dude fell to me at pick #50 in a really shallow draft in Mordecai. Not complaining though!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Obviously-going-first-overall.png

I think we might have found the first player potentially better than Leo Egan

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah obviously he won't hit as well as Egan but even if he falls short of being a shortstop because the team that drafts him has a lovely fielding coach, he'll still play 162 games of drat good CF/3b defense with good baserunning to top it all off.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

gyro was at 14 the year he didn't see Glen Little with the first overall pick. It wouldn't surprise me.

I still get mad about that

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't

Not surprising, if I see Little arguably you don't have him or Egan right now (though god knows how else other things would have unfolded)

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Regarding Wascar, 1st year pros are particularly tough to project with low advance scouting. If his splits start going up 1 or 2 points an update, I like the trade. But who knows if one or both of them is already near topped out?

Honestly in Dimaggio I was flying blind getting Iago H. from you last season and trading him for Fred McGehee since they were 1st year pros in the preseason and even with a few updates I can only guess how I did in that series of trades.

How much did Wascar get in IFA? That might help gauge if he's got some bigger flaw.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I really like cash for player trades. Without them, there's almost no way to convert smaller amounts of payroll excess into something marginally useful going forward. And they vaguely make marginal prospects more valuable as trading chips to a rebuilding team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I don't know why I went and read that thread and now i'm posting here to stop myself from reflexively posting there. The point mike is (intentionally?) missing is that the 5M is probably useless to the guy trading it. This isn't someone bailing AV out because they're buddies. It's someone who put too much money in mlb payroll and is gonna lose it with nothing to show for it. At least this way he's getting a mop up guy. In a sense they're bailing each other out.

• Locked thread