Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AV, you can't use the excuse that you won't have enough time when we know you spend oodles of time on OL and goon league teams. :colbert:

You're a WIS junkie. You've got time. C'mon. Dooooo iiiiiiit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Would you recommend joining the HBD or being patient and waiting for the SimLeague or an OpenLeague rush?

You can always do both -- for example, I'm in something like 12 HBD worlds, plus I've got an OL team and a goon league team both going, as well.

HBD is slightly more expensive and is more like a video game 'franchise' mode -- fake players, full minors, draft, IFA, etc. We've got a world that's (mostly) goons that is heading into its 16th season, though I believe all the goons didn't start joining it until about 5 seasons in.

OL/goon leagues are the types of teams that are made from real players throughout history. These are usually easier to get into for new players, since it's made up of baseball players that you've actually heard of and know about! But both HBD and SimLeague stuff can be equally as fun (though I tend to lean more towards HBD, obviously).

Our HBD world is getting ready to start the World Series, at which point we will be very close to rolling over and starting season 16. I've already bugged Bob enough and agreed to GC him, so he's going to come back, plus we will not stop until AV has joined, as well. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to GC (gift certificate...aka pay for) your first season if you are interested.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Bob Shabazz posted:

It is unbelievable how pitching heavy the BINGO league is. The average team line is .252/.311/.348 :pwn:

this makes me feel slightly better about my terrible, horrible, no good very bad offense.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Hell yeah I joined with Greg Maddux.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:fap:

not sure what the actual balance of hitters/pitchers would be, so maybe I don't use all the Madduxes. But that's awesome to look at.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll see that and raise you

:swoon:

here's to awesome pitching.

e: I can drop 1988, 1991 and 2002 and that improves the overall numbers a bit (.227 OAV, 0.99 WHIP, 6.80 K/9, 1.42 BB/9, 0.45 HR/9) but still not as good as Walsh and a little less innings, to boot (2,345 total).

nasboat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 12, 2011

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gyroball posted:

I always wanted to do a league like this, no idea why I never signed up before. I know I'm going to regret Mantle but hey gotta go with my heart in a wacky league like this

even though it was an impossible pipe dream, I was dying to team Mantle up with Maddux. You will not regret that, I'm sure -- even with the hit to dingers, Mick's too good not to own, surely?

....right? :ohdear:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

There's a certain co-captain I'm hoping for, but I'm doubting he gets past 11 people.

Wouldn't that be like, 27 picks? Eight more people to join who could take your co-captain when they join, then 19 picks on the way down to your round two selection?

or am I just way off about how this draft works

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

All the people that already took a pitcher can't take a hitter coming back, the second round is basically two different drafts

oh wait, obviously. forgetting a key detail there.

apologies!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

We seem to have hit a bit of a wall in the 2 man band. We still need 5 more people :(

yeah I'm surprised it went basically all day with no one signing up at all

c'mon, this theme owns

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

We're about to start round 2 of two man band. Be ready when it gets to you.

hell yes, about time!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

What's Dutch Leonard's beef with Mike Carey?!?

e: I originally wrote Dennis Leonard because I hadn't looked at the full boxscore. But I suppose that could have been feasible as well.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Anyone want to tell manifunk it's his turn to pick?

...but it's not?

(if you're still referring to 2-Man Band)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

It is. Clk just went, now it is manifunks turn.

What about dodgebob and Calhoop?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

They are in the hitters draft. Manifunk is in the pitchers draft.

Why are the two drafts separate? I don't understand why we're not just going in order, with everyone picking either a hitter or pitcher, whichever one they didn't take first time around.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So dumb and extra confusing, really. Who's to say that the last guy that picked even site-mailed the correct person?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gently caress.

sorry, Art. Didn't check page 3. :(

also, I see that both drafts go at the same time, so that's not as bad....if dodgebob would get going!

Art, might not be a bad idea to take your post from page 3 and edit it into the OP, since I was going back to it to see who had been drafted and what the draft order was.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 14, 2011

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I actually like it better as two separate ones now that I am aware that both of them go at the same time, and theoretically, it should speed up the whole process. That was actually my whole concern in the first place...waiting for no reason.

Please ignore my previous annoyances.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

kensei, I believe it's your pick in the hitter draft for Two Man Band. Please don't take who I want. :)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Maybe I'm not giving enough weight to defense, but I feel like there are two clearly better offensive choices sitting out there that I have ranked 1/2, I'm just not sure in which order.

Also, I was looking at Rod Carew, but I'm not sure how he'd work.

ArtVandelay posted:

Did that dude seriously just pick lave cross. Oookay.

Are you seriously posting here on the forums when I'm making proxy picks for you in the prog draft? :wth:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

kensei posted:

I picked, and I am sure it will be terribad.

I had thought about Anson, but I've got a couple of other guys in mind. Actually, I can discuss it now because I pick right after this next pubbie. I'm looking at either Roger Connor or Sam Crawford. I had been doing searches by 3B/100 and was looking at guys who showed up highest in the career WAR totals, since I'm thinking of putting this Maddux staff in Petco. I'm not sure which one's the better choice, or if they're going to be so bad defensively that I'd be better off taking someone like Johnny Bench.

Any input from any of our WIS goons would be appreciated!

quote:

Also, I can't get the instructions on how to add players for ineligible positions to work :?:

Once you've got the 7-digit code for the player you want to add at the ineligible position, go add a regular player at that position. After you've clicked the green "plus" symbol and added the player (the one you don't want), look in the URL box...the end of the URL should be that wrong player's 7-digit code. Replace it, then hit enter.

This is how I do it on Firefox on my Macbook and it works fine. I noticed you said it wasn't working on IE/Chrome, and unfortunately I can't speak for those two browsers.

Power of Pecota posted:

Carew's blacklisted.

Huh. I was checking my ideas against the blacklist last night, must have overlooked him. Now that I look, he's right there (with an asterisk, no less!). Must've been pretty late when I was looking at him.

Ah well, I was pretty much choosing between Connor and Crawford at this point, I think (unless anyone else has a better suggestion).

nasboat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 14, 2011

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

scallywag picks Hank Aaron, leaving me free to select Roger Connor in the two-man band draft.

Connor + Maddux + Petco = Success? We can only hope.

I still have to move '88 Connor out of the 2B spot to put someone with no ratings there, but you get the gist of it. Pretty excited.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

aw hell. left-handed throwing Roger Connor is gonna be a goddamn disaster in the infield

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I'm in, making a terrible team.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So I'm joining this league because I've wanted to try one of these and never have. I'm sure you all have done it before. If anyone wants to join me, feel free...I imagine there's gonna end up being a lot of repeats in this league, though.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

I've never done a league higher than $140 mil I think. I don't know, a $255 sounds kinda boring to me. Everyone will have the same players.

It's true that everyone could, but if you're like us and enjoy having fun, a $255 cap is an empty canvas to do whatever you want.

Also, while there's some big names on the blacklist, you can still build an outrageous, dinger-killing staff.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Alright, my $255m team is done.

And doing the line-up analysis was quite different than usual.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Chamberlain is one of nine pitchers blacklisted (Maddux, Pedro, Addie, Johnson, Alexander, Mathewson, Gagne, Eck).

I've pulled the team out and will tweak it a little later, probably, but I don't know that I'll be able to be that line-up intensive with it, really. That's a lot of effort. :) The original build was based purely on HR/100# for hitters and the best combo of OAV#/WHIP#/HR/9# for pitchers.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Assuming that's the Gehrig and Foxx that actually have ratings at those positions, they'll probably be hilariously terrible, maybe even more so than a year that doesn't have a rating at all. But it has modern Bonds so gently caress yeah.

Nah, those were just the positions where I liked their bats better than the natural options there (though I still have natural options there, obviously). Since I had to learn about playing guys out of position for two-man band league, I made sure not to use the seasons that had (bad) ratings at those positions.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scrotos posted:

Sorry I work for a living

lol, as if this has ever stopped you (or me, for that matter) from checking HBD on a regular (read: every 10-15 minutes) basis for TCs and offers. :D

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

my fantasy team owns

you can all suck it!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Final tally from mine and jeff's series (Maddux/Connor vs. Williams/Walsh): 63 runs scored to 63 runs scored, though I lost two of three. Final scores were 29-27, 20-10, 29-14.

:stare:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

9 wins in a row in Two Man Band.

:smug:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Check out the player of the game. This wasn't my game, but someone pointed it out and it cracked me up. Had never seen that before.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The only one I have is Snider, and it's a bench bat and not a starter.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Macho Man team is finally complete.

Qualifications:

code:
Player born in 1952					Darrell Porter
Player born in Ohio					Cy Young
Player died in 2011					Duke Snider
Player died in Florida					Ed Walsh
Player debuted in 1973					John D'Acquisto
Player final game in 2005				Jose Offerman
Player who won a World Series				Fred Toney
Player who won a World Series				Art Nehf
Player who was a ML father				Tim Raines
Player who had a brother in MLB				Ed Delahanty
Player with Italian/Jewish heritage			Ken Caminiti
Player who played for Reds/Cards/ChiSox		        Roy Mitchell
Player who underwent TJ surgery			        Paul Molitor
Player named Jim					Jim Leyritz

Players between 1952-2010
 C Brandon Inge
1B George Brett
SS Howard Johnson
OF Vince Coleman
3B Gregg Jefferies
SS Tim Foli
 P Robin Roberts
 P Andy Rincon
 P Dennis Rasmussen
 P Bob Milacki
 P Mike Lee

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Gyro, we found the ultimate Burrellballer in the Ruth draft class...

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Quasimango posted:

Also, how badly should I want this guy?

I wouldn't give him a second thought. You can find all-glove SS types with just as useful of a bat for far cheaper than his asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Quasimango posted:

I already made an offer. :( oh well, even if he accepts, I'll still have plenty left in the prospect budget, and i need to move my SS over to 3B soon anyway.

You know you can withdraw your offer, right? Just go back to his page where you made the offer and pull it back.

• Locked thread