Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Anyone have a recommendation for extra Fuji X-T5 batteries? I finally upgraded from my X-T1 and I've heard the battery life is supposed to be rather good but the single battery only charging in the camera is not optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The battery life is good. I have two batteries and have never even come close to exhausting that. If you're doing a lot of video that'll drain it faster.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I like the SmallRig batteries that can be directly charged via USB-C, so you can take less stuff when traveling

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The battery life is good. I have two batteries and have never even come close to exhausting that. If you're doing a lot of video that'll drain it faster.

On my last trip I couldn't figure out why my batteries were lasting such a short time, then I finally realized I had my camera on continuous auto focus. Oops!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The battery life killer for me is the Fuji on/off switch is like a millimeter of movement so my camera would regularly turn itself on in my bag and take dozens or hundreds of pictures. :argh: I eventually had to just take the drat battery out when I put it away.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Fuji is releasing a new kit lens soon to make better use of 40mp, right? Is anyone waiting to get an X-T5 with that instead of the 18-55 or 16-80?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Godzilla07 posted:

I like the SmallRig batteries that can be directly charged via USB-C, so you can take less stuff when traveling

Oh that's interesting, thanks.

Grand Fromage posted:

The battery life killer for me is the Fuji on/off switch is like a millimeter of movement so my camera would regularly turn itself on in my bag and take dozens or hundreds of pictures. :argh: I eventually had to just take the drat battery out when I put it away.

I feel like the ON/OFF of the X-T5 is harder to use than the X-T1 because the nub is less pronounced but on the 5 it does take less force.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

runawayturtles posted:

Fuji is releasing a new kit lens soon to make better use of 40mp, right? Is anyone waiting to get an X-T5 with that instead of the 18-55 or 16-80?

If you’re in that boat then sure, wait a few weeks/months for that, but I feel like everyone here on Fuji has either already got that lens or already bought and sold it :v:

The 18-55 is great on the X-T20 (even if it makes it “bulky” relatively speaking) and if I do spring for an upgrade I’ll keep it around unless the images look real awful. It’s mostly kept for travel/flexibility these days anyways, I usually rotate between primes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Grand Fromage posted:

The one thing DSLRs still have over mirrorless. I'll often pull mine out and realise I never turned it off, still got full power.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 6, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

If I didn’t backpack with a camera, I’d still have a the d800e and I’d never change

That nice grip and beautiful viewfinder…. Sigh

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

Me. I'm still plugging away with my T-2. Never got the 18-55 or 16-55 so I'll probably upgrade the body with this new "kit" lens.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

runawayturtles posted:

I've heard people say it's a wild decision to release a new kit lens. If the old kit lens were released second, people would say it was a big upgrade.

In terms of functionality, the old kit lens was so useful for making video for normal people and families in particular. The new lens is less useful for photography and video for me personally. I'd end up selling it and getting a nice third party lens whereas the old kit lens found room in my bag for some time.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2024

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Shammypants posted:

I've heard people say it's a wild decision to release a new kit lens. If the old kit lens were released second, people would say it was a big upgrade.

In terms of functionality, the old kit lens was so useful for making video for normal people and families in particular. The new lens is less useful for photography and video for me personally. I'd end up selling it and getting a nice third party lens whereas the old kit lens found room in my bag for some time.

I mean, all we know about the new kit lens so far is the name: 16-50mm f/2.8-4.8 R LM WR. So just the range, aperture, weather resistance, and that it doesn't have image stabilization. Without reviews or tests, how do you know how useful it is? Or are you talking about the current 16-80 kit?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
But the 16-80/4 isn't even a 18-55 replacement, both lenses are still available.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fuji's F4 zooms are all video-centric, with things like OIS, stopless aperture, silent focus, and minimal focus breathing. Some of those are nice to have for stills, but that series was specifically designed with video in mind.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The 16-80 is a great general purpose travel lens imo. Yes it's quite bulky but it's often the only one I take.

As with all zooms there are compromises, the main one being the f/4 max aperture. It's a very capable lens though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Well I took the 16-55 f/2.8 out today and… it’s great. Good enough I may consider selling some of my primes… maybe.

I’m not surprised though - based on what I read and its specs, it was right up my alley. I just somehow never noticed it in the past size I tend to think of “zooms” as telephoto.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Went to a Fuji sponsored photowalk today and got to play with a X100VI a bit. It's a neat lil toy. If it were half the price I'd be seriously tempted but when you can get an X-T5 for less money and slap any lens you want on there, hard sell.

If I were living somewhere that I'm always walking and there's interesting stuff around the idea of a capable camera in my pocket at all times would be more appealing.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Used GFX prices are getting very decent nowadays, so any comments comparing the 50MP versions to the 100MP ones?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Used GFX prices are getting very decent nowadays, so any comments comparing the 50MP versions to the 100MP ones?

Main comment would be the focus is faster on the 100MP. I forget the specifics of the technical details, but the 100MP has a processor similar to the X-T4 series sensor for handling focus. Other than that, the glass matters more than the MP’s in my opinion.

I own a 50Sii but I largely use it for portraiture and landscapes so focus speed isn’t as big of a deal.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sigma will maybe release a 50/1.2 in 10 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0frWJNf80M

Rumored to be the lightest available 50/1.2 AF lens for mirrorless cameras.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp it looks like a beast. Nearly as sharp as my Panasonic 50/1.4, but lighter, smaller and faster. Going to trade it in for the sigma ASAP.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

New Ricoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQk3yb83h8E

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Releasing a whole rear end new camera seems like the least efficient way to add a filter. Those sample images look a ton better than my experience with bloom filters, though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
There are a few sample images here: https://petapixel.com/2024/03/27/ricohs-new-gr-iii-hdf-and-gr-iiix-hdf-cameras-feature-a-dreamy-filter/

I like the look a lot. If I were planning on buying a GR III anyway, I'd probably get one of these.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shart Carbuncle posted:

There are a few sample images here: https://petapixel.com/2024/03/27/ricohs-new-gr-iii-hdf-and-gr-iiix-hdf-cameras-feature-a-dreamy-filter/

I like the look a lot. If I were planning on buying a GR III anyway, I'd probably get one of these.

Yeah, that is pretty drat cool. I love how they are putting in the effort to do this with an optical filter instead of just faking it in processing.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
So it's basically just a built in pro mist?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

big black turnout posted:

So it's basically just a built in pro mist?

Pro mist that replaces the ND filter.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Ricoh should make a tiny hot shoe flash that’s connected via a bungee or coiled sorta cord that you can pop off and fire at weird angles if they insist on all these gr iii variants not having a flash

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wolfs posted:

Ricoh should make a tiny hot shoe flash that’s connected via a bungee or coiled sorta cord that you can pop off and fire at weird angles if they insist on all these gr iii variants not having a flash

I liked using my Lightpix FlashQ this way. Manual only though, no TTL. They have newer models with it but I don’t know what system Ricoh uses.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

qirex posted:

I liked using my Lightpix FlashQ this way. Manual only though, no TTL. They have newer models with it but I don’t know what system Ricoh uses.

I have never gotten what I want out of ttl flash and I use the hell out of my flashq on both my gr III and xpro3.

No regrets at all, except I now have two little sending units because the battery in one won't make it a whole night. They're like $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah if the hardware was slightly better I’d be spamming people about how amazing it is but it’s got a good amount of independent hardware company jank. Gives it personality! No idea why one of the big boys like Godox hasn’t ripped it off yet.