Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Oh man, lensrentals has x100s in. If I do this, I'll probably never want to give it back. Now I need a good trip to take it on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Have any of you NEX guys got a Kipon brand TS adaptor for Nikon/M42 lenses? (Pompous, maybe?) I'm looking at a Hasselblad/Nikon one, it seems to be a scaled up version of the same thing.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
How do you NEX guys deal with not being able to pick your focus point? And how do you deal with having to hold the shutter button at half press while you manually focus in the MFD or AFD whatever setting?

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
You can pick your focus point. With the latest firmware one of the soft buttons on the back can be mapped to auto-focus point select. Click that, set your desire point and you are good to go.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
My GF2 just arrived the other day after selling several thousand euro worth of Canon gear and removing all camera paraphernalia from my home last year. I keep instinctively bringing it up to my eye.

A lot of reviews and comments talked about the touch screen and lack of mode control - if anyone here uses a phone with touch screen then there will be next to no adjustment needed, to be honest that and occasional focusing during the short time I've owned this are what I've used the screen for.

So far, highly recommended. Plus the 14mm is a beauty.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

disgraceful posted:

My GF2 just arrived the other day after selling several thousand euro worth of Canon gear and removing all camera paraphernalia from my home last year. I keep instinctively bringing it up to my eye.

A lot of reviews and comments talked about the touch screen and lack of mode control - if anyone here uses a phone with touch screen then there will be next to no adjustment needed, to be honest that and occasional focusing during the short time I've owned this are what I've used the screen for.

So far, highly recommended. Plus the 14mm is a beauty.

This is obviously your body telling you to buy the EVF.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
Anyone used a c-mount adapter and a c-mount lens on a m43 body? There seems to a lot of fast lenses to be had for cheap and in the focal length range I have gaps in. Got the the 20mm f/1.7 and the 45-200mm f/4.0-5.6 lenses and I'm looking for a fast prime in the 25-50mm region.

http://us.c-mount.passion.pro/

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I just got an X100 and it's a pretty brilliant little camera. It's just so fun to shoot with and the image quality is fantastic. The only problem really is very close subjects, but 35mm just isn't the focal length for that anyways. I'm extremely impressed and very happy.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Pockyless posted:

I just got an X100 and it's a pretty brilliant little camera. It's just so fun to shoot with and the image quality is fantastic. The only problem really is very close subjects, but 35mm just isn't the focal length for that anyways. I'm extremely impressed and very happy.

I just got my 3rd large print from the X100 and the print quality is just so fantastic. All 3 were also of scenes I would not have had a dslr with me to capture.

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ

Pockyless posted:

The only problem really is very close subjects, but 35mm just isn't the focal length for that anyways.

Set the camera to Manual focus with EVF, use the AFL/AEL button to get it to focus close to what you need and tweak if necessary. Can be finicky at first but you get used to it :D.

Agreed, excellent camera - the quality you get just straight out of camera in jpeg is quite amazing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I am semi interested in a Nex as a 2nd camera for my compressed lens, to supplement the x100 as my wide. I like the 75-100mm length a lot. With the new firmware enabling peaking, I am even more interested. The main thing is that I don't know which lenses to look for. Does anyone know a very very very small pancake prime that gives you the lens equivalent of 75-100mm (or even higher) that has an f/2 aperture or faster?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Reporting in that Adorama's $2.49 soft release works brilliantly on the x100 and I wouldn't want to shoot without one. My Gordy's wriststrap arrived this week too and is really helpful with giving you something substantial to hold on to.

Retrospective 5 and this knock off battery charger that charges NP-95 batteries from the wall, USB and car should arrive tomorrow.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

poopinmymouth posted:

Thatīs me.

Here is my review: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-x100-review.html
Here is my comparison between the X100 and the 5D with 35mm L: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2011/04/5d-vs-x100-redux-plus-lightroom-vs.html
And my photo blog for tons of photos with the X100: http://myx100year.blogspot.com/

Short version: DSLR quality (for reals) in a tiny, all-metal package, with manual metal control dials, a real glass viewfinder (that is large) and a fast 35mm equiv lens (that is fixed to it, no changing lenses).

It has an offset viewfinder like a rangefinder, but the focusing is not mechanically coupled. You use contrast based AF that is quite fast. (it's as fast as the canon 50mm 1.8 in good and medium good light). This is it's unique point. No other camera offers a viewfinder this large and bright till you get into the big expensive high end DSLRs like the 1Ds and D3 line (or older film cameras).

The IQ is the best. Nothing touches it in this segment. The Leica x1 comes close for more money, but with no viewfinder and slower AF and costs 800 dollars more. The X100 lens has no chromatic aberrations, no purple fringing, negligable vignetting from offset microlenses. It flares but in a romantic way, with no hood that is.

I wanted a smaller 2nd camera for when the 5D was too much kit, and instead I got a primary camera. I haven't touched my 5D since I got the X100. I don't leave the house without the X100 around my neck, even now that I'm on crutches for 6 weeks.

If you like the 35mm equivalent view, there is no comparison to the other options. You'd literally need to spend at least 3-5x this much to even approach the IQ and lens speed with AF and an optical viewfinder.

Thanks for writing this. I am seriously thinking about selling my 7d and lenses and picking this up. The size is the biggest factor for me.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Thanks for writing this. I am seriously thinking about selling my 7d and lenses and picking this up. The size is the biggest factor for me.

The x100 is a great, capable camera and I don't miss lugging my 7d and lenses with me everywhere. I don't know about trading one for the other though since a DSLR is a whole options and choice system you buy into.

That said, I've barely used my 7d since and that is attributable to the x100 being new and just fun to use. There are things I can't do in the 35mm focal length, I'm just having fun working within it at the moment.

VVVVVV Selling an L prime to pay for it is extremely sensible. I was trying to buy a prime (Sigma 30 1.4) but the camera store was out of almost everything but did have an x100. They let me fiddle with it and I went and had lunch while I thought about it. The dude pulled the box off the wall as soon as I came back in. Apparently they were waiting for me to come back.

They apparently had two but the store owner grabbed the other one and all the accessories to go shooting that weekend.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am not selling my 7d actually, I just jumped the gun there. I will never sell my canon due to 135L being the best lens ever made and fuji cant do anything that lens can do.

I will be selling my 35L though which pays for the x100. It will save me the trouble of switching lenses back and forth and I can carry the x100 with me at all times unlike my 7d+ grip + two lenses setup which weight about the same as a soldier loadout.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
can someone with an x100 comment on the battery life? some reviews says it blows (200 images), some reviews are the exact opposite. what is your experience?

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
~250 shots. It's not very good but the batteries are small and you can buy some extras for cheap.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Chim posted:

can someone with an x100 comment on the battery life? some reviews says it blows (200 images), some reviews are the exact opposite. what is your experience?
200-250 sounds about right. The worst part is that the battery life indicator is (probably) logarithmic and continues to say full for 95% of the life of the battery. I'm really hoping its fixed in tomorrow's firmware update, because it's annoying.

Gbanfalvi
Jul 23, 2007

Yo, I've been thinking about getting my first dslr and a good lens. I tried out a friend's EOS 450D (with its included lens) and I loved it, but it felt a bit unwieldy. Now I'm afraid I'll buy a camera and I won't carry it with me out of laziness.
I gave it some thought and now I'm considering getting a Panasonic G3 and the 25mm/1.4 when both come out. I can get both from Adorama for $1200, which, as a European (thanks to your fantastically weak dollar) is a great deal for me.
Am I doing something retarded?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pockyless posted:

~250 shots. It's not very good but the batteries are small and you can buy some extras for cheap.

Yep, you can get 3rd party batteries for 8 dollars each. 250 is my experience as well.

Yay for new firmware tomorrow (most likely). Looking forward to auto-iso being put on the ISO menu, and offset AF window in OVF.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

I am semi interested in a Nex as a 2nd camera for my compressed lens, to supplement the x100 as my wide. I like the 75-100mm length a lot. With the new firmware enabling peaking, I am even more interested. The main thing is that I don't know which lenses to look for. Does anyone know a very very very small pancake prime that gives you the lens equivalent of 75-100mm (or even higher) that has an f/2 aperture or faster?

So you mean like a small 50mm or so prime? There are tons to choose from, although I'd recommend looking at rangefinder lenses if size is an issue. You could get a 50mm f/2 in the form of the Jupiter 8 for ~$30, which is actually pretty decent, but I'd recommend splashing out for something faster. The main catch is not being able to focus closer than 7cm or so, but if that doesn't matter I'd say go for it. You could also look at (film) Pen lenses, I know they made a fast prime with some oddball focal length (68mm f/1.9 or something?), although IIRC it's fairly pricey.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
How is the panorama mode on the X100? I can live without a telephoto, but it would suck not to have wide and ultra-wide options.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Coincidentally, Pentax has announced they're getting in the EVIL game too.

quote:

In a nutshell, the new camera body will be the lightest and smallest interchangeable-lens digital camera in the world. It will feature a high-performance backlit 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor, loaded with the latest in technology from Pentax. Although the sensor's small size (1/2.33") sound promising, we may yet be surprised by the innovation in this sensor! The Pentax Q will also boast several features found in Pentax DSLRs, such as sensor-shift Shake Reduction; ultrasonic Dust Removal II; and P, Tv, Av, and M modes. It supports full-HD video recording at 30FPS and has a fast image framerate of 5FPS with a top shutter speed of 1/2000s. Its flash sync speed will be 1/2000s, but only when the built-in flash is used with the kit lens or the zoom lens.

The launch lens lineup will consist of 5 lenses in two main categories:
"High Performance Lenses", which are designed to deliver maximum image quality:
01 Standard Prime (47mm F1.9) (Kit lens)
02 Standard Zoom (27.5-80mm F2.8-4.5) ($299)

and "Unique Lenses", which deliver fancy lens effects (and not much more):
03 Fish Eye ($129)
04 Toy Wide-Angle ($79)
05 Toy Telephoto ($79)

The system is expected to become available in the US this September. The Pentax Q will be available in two colors (silver and black) and will cost about $799 (together with the kit lens, which cannot be purchased separately).
http://www.pentaxforums.com/Pentax-Q-Interchangeable-Lens-System

Pentax fanbois :allears:

I can't see that selling real well unless it comes at like $400. $800 could get you a real DSLR with APS-C sensor, not a EVIL with a tiny sensor.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 23, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If Pentax can somehow magically wring decent low-light performance out of a sensor that small, then I might be interested. Otherwise, what the gently caress?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

HPL posted:

How is the panorama mode on the X100? I can live without a telephoto, but it would suck not to have wide and ultra-wide options.

I've had it fail once where it stitched some stuff together weird and I'm not sure why. Some people have reported problems with what looks like exposure changing, despite the x100 locking exposure on the first frame (if I remember correctly).

I can't give an accurate opinion on it until I try more. This was the first one I ever did:

Demolition by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

I believe you can do 120 and 180 degree ones both in landscape and portrait and I think it is JPG only and not .RAW.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

If Pentax can somehow magically wring decent low-light performance out of a sensor that small, then I might be interested. Otherwise, what the gently caress?

It's like 1/8th the size of a micro 4/3 sensor, it's too loving small. And 12.4MP to boot, I'm interested to see how it looks at ISO100/200, let alone 1600+.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

I've done a few I like, but it's kind of a crapshoot as to whether you get banding or not.

This one worked perfectly for example:

DSCF2053.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It just occurred to me that if they can make a Leica M39 to Pentax Q adapter, you could use a small 50mm like a Jupiter-8 as a wicked fast 285mm telephoto or an 85mm f/2 Jupiter-9 as a 485mm f/2 lens.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

It just occurred to me that if they can make a Leica M39 to Pentax Q adapter, you could use a small 50mm like a Jupiter-8 as a wicked fast 285mm telephoto or an 85mm f/2 Jupiter-9 as a 485mm f/2 lens.

Can the lenses really deliver that much resolution, though? You'd have to shoot them wide open (or close) to avoid diffraction, you'd have to keep the shutter speeds way up, and if you step the ISO up your picture is going to be noisy as hell. It's all the (mostly nitpicky) arguments against the m4/3 sensor times a thousand.

vvv Haha wow you can't even adapt other glass. That really does suck vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 23, 2011

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can the lenses really deliver that much resolution, though? You'd have to shoot them wide open (or close) to avoid diffraction, you'd have to keep the shutter speeds way up, and if you step the ISO up your picture is going to be noisy as hell. It's all the (mostly nitpicky) arguments against the m4/3 sensor times a thousand.

The Pentax Q uses an in-lens shutter, so that adapter would need some pretty fancy voodoo magic as well.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

I couldn't figure it out either until I noticed these lenses in their lineup: "04 Toy Lens Wide", and "05 Toy Lens Telephoto" for the Diana-like effect

It looks like they're aiming at the gimmick-minded hipster retard demographic

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

It's aimed solely at the japanese market. This is not for us.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

It's aimed solely at the japanese market. This is not for us.

Has a camera other than the Argus C3 ever been aimed solely at the North American market?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I cant find the x100 anywhere :(

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

I cant find the x100 anywhere :(

Yeah, there's that. Good luck getting an official ring adapter and hood too.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Yeah, there's that. Good luck getting an official ring adapter and hood too.

I heard the accessories are harder to find than the camera itself.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
New x100 firmware is out here:
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/fupd.html

quote:

1. The following functions can be rocked during shooting by holding down [MENU / OK] button over 3 sec.
DRIVE / Flash / White balance / Macro (set on the Command Dial - 4 direction key)

2. "CORRECTED AF FRAME" menu is added in "SET-UP" menu (the last line on menu page 6) to display additional AF frame (corrected AF frame for reducing parallax) which can be effectively used for macro shots. (Factory default value is set to "OFF")

3. Adjustment in1/3 step increment for shutter speed or aperture setting is enabled in Shutter-Priority AE and Aperture-Priority AE mode, on top of those in Manual Exposure mode.
Shutter-Priority AE : Adjustment is controlled by rotating the command dial
Aperture-Priority AE : Adjustment is controlled by moving left / right on the command control lever

4. In the post-view mode (display after shooting), focused area is magnified in the LCD (EVF) display when the command control lever is pressed.
Cf. "IMAGE DISP." Setting must be set to "CONTINUOUS",

5. Setting of the role for "Fn" button is enabled by holding down "Fn" button over 3 sec.

6. Actual ISO sensitivity for shooting is displayed just after pressing shutter button halfway, when "ISO AUTO CONTROLL" is set to ON.

7. When "eye sensor" is activated by pressing "VIEW MODE" button, "EYE SENSOR" is displayed on EVF / OVF or LCD just a while to notice the status.

8. Macro mode ISO sensitivity, Drive mode, Dynamic range, Self-timer mode, flash mode is maintained even if shutter speed setting or aperture setting is changed. Also, even after changing viewing mode into shooting mode or turning of the camera, these values are maintained.

9. The size of focus frame set through viewing EVF / LCD is maintained even after changing display mode between OVF and EVF (LCD).

10. When "SHUTTER SOUND" is chosen, each shutter sound is performed in each menu setting.

11. In viewing mode, the last viewed shot is maintained as even after changing into shooting mode.
Cf. After another image is shot after viewing former image, memory of viewing the image is cancelled and the last shot is displayed as the latest image.

12. When the aspect ration of the image size is set to 16:9, the line of bright frame line on OVF is displayed with aspect ratio 16:9.

13. Viewing mode with Photo Information on EVF / LCD is maintained even if another image is shot. On top of this issue, deleting picture directly is enabled even in viewing with Photo information by pressing the command dial up, or MENU operation is also enabled.

14. Occasionally, preview image on EVF / LCD after pressing the shutter halfway might be darker than live view, according to aperture setting or brightness of shooting target. This phenomenon is improved.

15. When "DISP. CUSTOM SETTING" is set to OVF or EVF / LCD, the setting value is maintained even after customizing the menu.

16. Even for only RAW data recording mode, "RED EYE REMOVAL" setting is selectable among ON or OFF.

17. In MF (manual focus) setting with OVF mode, OVF viewing is activated after pressing shutter half way, even if "FOCUS CHECK" (magnifying center of the image) is displayed in EVF by pressing the center of the command control lever.

18. Displaying period after pressing each command dial (Macro / Flash) is prolonged from 1.5 sec into 2.0 sec for confirming correctly.

20. For resuming from AUTO POWER OFF setting, the shutter release button was required to hold down halfway for a few second. For quicker operation, resuming is activated by just pressing the button.

21. Image quality captured by Velvia / ASTIA mode is improved on mainly shadow tone (dark area), when dynamic range is set to 200% or 400%.

22. When "OVF POWER SAVE MODE" is set to ON and "Fn" button is set to "MOVIE RECORDING", the camera may be unstable occasionally. This phenomenon is improved.

23. Histogram display on OVF during exposure compensation is improved.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Can't select auto-iso in the iso menu alas. At least you can shoot iso 6400 in raw mode now.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Can't select auto-iso in the iso menu alas. At least you can shoot iso 6400 in raw mode now.

You could always do that, it just wasn't available in auto-iso as the top ceiling (is it even now? I'm at work and can't upgrade till tonight).

It's 100 and 12,800 that aren't available in raw, but since everything over ISO 1,000 is made from ISO 1,000, it doesn't matter. Shoot at 3200 and bump 1 or 2 in post for exactly the same as shooting that in jpeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh poo poo found one x100 in a local camera shop but they have to call a regular first and ask if he wants it before they can sell it to me. :ohdear: