Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Man_of_Teflon posted:

IIRC the 45 was supposed to be a bit better, but it's out of production as the 42 replaced it.

Yeah, dpreview seems to confirm that:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicGF1/page19.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCG2/page13.asp
"The wide-open softness means the 14-42mm suffers when compared to either the older Lumix G 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS or Olympus's equivalent M ZD 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, and while it's a match for either once stopped down to more commonly-used apertures, overall it's a slightly disappointing replacement for what was one of the best kit lenses on the market."

What a shame. Adorama still sells the 14-45 for $299. Hard to argue with that, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The X100 looks perfect for what I want, but I've read a lot of complaints about focusing speed and that it locks up for a few seconds between shots. Is it enough of an issue to be problematic? I'd be mostly doing street photography.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xandu posted:

The X100 looks perfect for what I want, but I've read a lot of complaints about focusing speed and that it locks up for a few seconds between shots. Is it enough of an issue to be problematic? I'd be mostly doing street photography.

No its not a problem at all. I have a class 6 lovely duracell sd card and raw write speed is like 1.5 sec. I never went "drat I could have got that shot if the cam wrote faster!"

Autofocus speed is also not slow. I shoot manual all the time now because for some reason in manual mode autofocus (by pressing the af lock button) is way faster than regular autofocus mode and you can keep firing the camera from the hip like a rangefinder.

It is the perfect camera for street photography. I love so much that I have decided to sell my 7D and L lenses because I want to shoot with the x100 for a year at least and learn this focal lenght. Also you dont ever want to lug around a heavy dslr after using this.

tldr: Buy this :goonsay:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Xandu posted:

It does not "lock up" between shots. It locks *out* a few functions while the buffer clears, but shooting another shot is not one of them. All mechanical controls can be altered (shutter speed, aperture, exp comp) but menu diving isn't possible till buffer is cleared. Either buy a fast SD card (the 45mb/s) or shoot jpeg, if it's super important, but I shoot raw only with the 45mb/s card and never feel the camera isn't ready again immediately.

Autofocus is slow only in really low light (think bars). In regular light it's plenty snappy for my tastes.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Autofocus speed is similar to a non USM lens. If you're used to a Canon 1D (or Nikon equivalent) body with a very fast very large aperture lens, it will feel a bit slow, and the menu lockout might bother you a little bit, but honestly, it's a very pleasant to use camera.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
alright, im sold, where do i buy one? :)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

keyframe posted:

No its not a problem at all. I have a class 6 lovely duracell sd card and raw write speed is like 1.5 sec. I never went "drat I could have got that shot if the cam wrote faster!"

Autofocus speed is also not slow. I shoot manual all the time now because for some reason in manual mode autofocus (by pressing the af lock button) is way faster than regular autofocus mode and you can keep firing the camera from the hip like a rangefinder.

It is the perfect camera for street photography. I love so much that I have decided to sell my 7D and L lenses because I want to shoot with the x100 for a year at least and learn this focal lenght. Also you dont ever want to lug around a heavy dslr after using this.

tldr: Buy this :goonsay:

Glad to hear it, thanks fhe responses guys.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
It is sort of surprising how fast you can take another shot while the camera is writing. It just feels like you shouldn't be able to since the back screen goes black and the write light is going. Pleasantly surprising, that is.

As far as AF goes, it takes getting used to remembering that it works off surfaces and not edges like I am used to doing when looking through a viewfinder. That still throws me sometimes.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

ThisQuietReverie posted:

It is sort of surprising how fast you can take another shot while the camera is writing. It just feels like you shouldn't be able to since the back screen goes black and the write light is going. Pleasantly surprising, that is.

As far as AF goes, it takes getting used to remembering that it works off surfaces and not edges like I am used to doing when looking through a viewfinder. That still throws me sometimes.

I turned off the image pop-up and I'm still kind of amazed how fast I can press the shutter and grab a new picture.

AF is definitely quirky but I don't find it terribly annoying.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
hey guys, just got an x100 from a local camera shop, brand new.

I was really surprised to find it came with a sealed battery, PLUS another one already in the camera? Is it true that this came with 2 batteries brand new? Either way, camera is flawless and I don't think i'm going to return it... but it would be interesting to note if somebody put in a battery to play with it and forgot to take it out....

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Chim posted:

hey guys, just got an x100 from a local camera shop, brand new.

I was really surprised to find it came with a sealed battery, PLUS another one already in the camera? Is it true that this came with 2 batteries brand new? Either way, camera is flawless and I don't think i'm going to return it... but it would be interesting to note if somebody put in a battery to play with it and forgot to take it out....

Battery was separate and sealed with mine, yours was probably used as a demo model (remove card and check for pictures in the camera memory, it holds like 7 photos).

It would be clever of Fuji to address battery life complaints with an extra battery though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Never underestimate the power of some brassing and a previous owner's ID# engraved on a vintage lens to deter serious bidders. I'm thinking about ditching most or all of my hybrid 35mm rangefinder/NEX kit in favor of a more NEX-oriented setup; I liked 35mm but just don't bother these days, and the almost three foot minimum focusing distance on the RF lenses really cramps my style.

The old film Pen lenses are better suited to using on an EVIL, as they're even smaller and can focus close (con would be the smaller image circle, but until someone comes out with a full-frame mirrorless that's not the Leica M9, not a problem). I wanted one of the 42mm f/1.2's as a replacement for my Leica thread mount Canon 50mm f/1.2 as a night/bar lens, but the cost had deterred me until now as they're sought after by both collectors and shooters alike. After missing out on a nicer one that went for over $500 last week, I picked this one up today for a bit less than half that. As long as it's not a total dog and I find the somewhat oddball focal length works for me, I think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this baby.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Beautiful. Please show us some example images from it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

After missing out on a nicer one that went for over $500 last week, I picked this one up today for a bit less than half that. As long as it's not a total dog and I find the somewhat oddball focal length works for me, I think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this baby.

Oh that is cool as hell.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have just shot 450 shots (raw) with the x100 on a single battery and it was almost always on in between those shots, It was still showing the battery full when I got home.

I am not sure where the "x100 battery runs out in 250-300 shots" myth came from.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

I have just shot 450 shots (raw) with the x100 on a single battery and it was almost always on in between those shots, It was still showing the battery full when I got home.
The battery indicator will show full until you have like 5 shots left. Then it will jump from 3 to 1 to dead.

quote:

I am not sure where the "x100 battery runs out in 250-300 shots" myth came from.

I think the battery is slightly better in the 1.1 firmware, but I don't shoot enough to know for sure. If you have the settings activated to make startup faster, it also drains another few dozen shots from a charge.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea I have fast startup on. Battery life was way better than I was led to believe from internet comments about the camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Someone (preferably with an NEX) buy this and review it: http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr35/.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Zack Arias likes his.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have one, it is great.

edit: Also I have to ask, why are we discussing x100 in the micro 4/3rds thread?.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

keyframe posted:

I have one, it is great.

edit: Also I have to ask, why are we discussing x100 in the micro 4/3rds thread?.

If anything I'd say this this thread is more NEX than m4/3.

Also there's nowhere else the x100 fits except here, and you'll notice I specifically put it in In the first post. :colbert:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok FINE! :colbert:

We need a Leica/x100 thread :smug:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I just want to say that I still love my X100 so much. I never ever ever leave the house without it, and I'm constanting taking snaps that end up pleasing me a lot when I get home. Unlike when I borrowed a friend's S90 (which also enabled whenever-snaps) the files have a ton of quality to massage or manipulate in post. I love looking at the prints from it too.

I saw recently that hoodman made 2 wide angle converters specifically for the X100. Not sure the image degredation, but hoodman tends to make good products. I want someone to make a 2x or 3x or 2.2x converter so bad, then I'll never buy another camera.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I know what I am doing next with my x100:

http://lightingtutorials.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-tether-your-camera-to-ipad.html

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

I know what I am doing next with my x100:

http://lightingtutorials.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-tether-your-camera-to-ipad.html

I bought another Eye-Fi to try tethering it and ended up returning the Eye-Fi (again) because it's just too slow and didn't do everything I wanted. Maybe the next generation.

I wasn't able to set up jpegs to go to iPad and RAWs to my desktop, it will only allow one destination to be set. Either you're paying $60-100 for the X2 Pro to not have pull out the SD card constantly to send pictures to your computer in order to be edited (and waiting loving forever for the transfers to initialize and go through) or you're paying $60-100 to send small jpegs through to your iPad.

Sometimes the ad-hoc network that it creates takes a long time to initialize and be seen by the iPad and it just down right doesn't connect to it automatically.

e: It was my third time trying it, first time trying the Pro version. I've tested them in 5d2, 1d2, and x100.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Could someone post a picture hand holding their x100? I can't get a good feel for the size. Cutting a piece of paper equal to the specced dimensions just doesn't work for me to understand the size.

Can you pocket it? I love my s95... I refuse to look like I'm carrying a camera with me on a shoulder strap while walking around.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\

Found this on flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/harpo9/5786006678/

Shmoogy posted:

I bought another Eye-Fi to try tethering it and ended up returning the Eye-Fi (again) because it's just too slow and didn't do everything I wanted. Maybe the next generation.

I wasn't able to set up jpegs to go to iPad and RAWs to my desktop, it will only allow one destination to be set. Either you're paying $60-100 for the X2 Pro to not have pull out the SD card constantly to send pictures to your computer in order to be edited (and waiting loving forever for the transfers to initialize and go through) or you're paying $60-100 to send small jpegs through to your iPad.

Sometimes the ad-hoc network that it creates takes a long time to initialize and be seen by the iPad and it just down right doesn't connect to it automatically.

e: It was my third time trying it, first time trying the Pro version. I've tested them in 5d2, 1d2, and x100.

Ah thats a bummer, how long does it take to transfer a x100 raw file? :(

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Gryi posted:

Could someone post a picture hand holding their x100? I can't get a good feel for the size. Cutting a piece of paper equal to the specced dimensions just doesn't work for me to understand the size.

Can you pocket it? I love my s95... I refuse to look like I'm carrying a camera with me on a shoulder strap while walking around.

Google image search x100+hand will give you examples.

Snapsort reports:

99x58x29 mm vs 127x75x54 mm (s95 3x smaller)
1.2" vs 2.1" (s95 50% thinner)

I think it is a just a little too big to be pocketable, I bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 just for it and it works great.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/05/21/review-of-the-think-tank-photo-retrospective-5/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I can fit it in my pockets, but it's very constricted while sitting, and it looks very bulgy (especially the lens). Coat pocket is much better but probably not all that useful in summer.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Google image search x100+hand will give you examples.

Snapsort reports:

99x58x29 mm vs 127x75x54 mm (s95 3x smaller)
1.2" vs 2.1" (s95 50% thinner)

I think it is a just a little too big to be pocketable, I bought a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 just for it and it works great.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/05/21/review-of-the-think-tank-photo-retrospective-5/

Can you fit a ipad in the think tank?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

Can you fit a ipad in the think tank?

Yes, if you take the dividers out. The inside of the main compartment is almost exactly the same size as an iPad with the official cover. Without an iPad you can fit the x100 and a gripless 7d with a 50 side by side easily.

It's not a big bag but it holds an x100 and iPad plus accoutrements (pen, notepad, iPad camera connectivity kit, x100 car/wall/usb charger, extra batteries, cards) and that's what I was looking for.

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 7, 2011

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Perfect that is exactly what I want.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Gryi posted:

Keep in mind, I'm 6'3"

Without the leather case, I could fit it into a cargo pants pocket, or a large jacket pocket. Pants pocket, no. It's light enough though that I just wear it slung over my neck and one arm like a bandoleer all day every day and it never tires me out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-22FHPjVJ9yA/TaH6gxgBmiI/AAAAAAAAAUs/kJQLRrSl6X0/s1600/me_mirror.jpg

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

poopinmymouth posted:

Keep in mind, I'm 6'3"

Without the leather case, I could fit it into a cargo pants pocket, or a large jacket pocket. Pants pocket, no. It's light enough though that I just wear it slung over my neck and one arm like a bandoleer all day every day and it never tires me out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-22FHPjVJ9yA/TaH6gxgBmiI/AAAAAAAAAUs/kJQLRrSl6X0/s1600/me_mirror.jpg

Cool, thanks for providing a human scale. I'm a bit shorter, and I don't want to roll around with a camera even if it's all bandolier-like. I suppose I'll stick with my s95. :(

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
How likely do you think there will be an x200 or upgrade of that camera released soon?

Im interested in getting one but the manual zoom thing has me wanting to wait. I have a d90 to tide me over but I like street photography and I'm itching for a less offensive camera.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

titanium posted:

How likely do you think there will be an x200 or upgrade of that camera released soon?

Im interested in getting one but the manual zoom thing has me wanting to wait. I have a d90 to tide me over but I like street photography and I'm itching for a less offensive camera.

Depends on what you mean by "soon", but if you were in the market for an X100 I would go ahead and buy one. It's a camera that's likely to hold its resale value pretty well, and the next iteration may not be a massive improvement.

There are other options: my NEX is pretty discreet for street stuff (the articulating LCD works great as a waist-level finder, and it's small enough not to trip the "serious camera" switch in people's minds), or you could pick up a film rangefinder, which is what the X100 is more or less based on.

edit: received the 42mm f/1.2 in the mail yesterday; haven't gotten a chance to shoot much with it yet but initial reaction is very positive. Here's one shot from this morning, I think around f/2 or thereabouts:

A Successful Finish to a Memorable First Date by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 10, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

titanium posted:

That would be the dumbest move on Fuji's part and if they were so quick to abandon the x100 then looking forward to an x200 would be the second dumbest.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

titanium posted:

There is still 3-4 weeks waiting list for the x100 everywhere, they cant make the things fast enough. They are not going to release a x200 anytime soon.

The "manual zoom thing" (assuming you mean manual focus, x100 has no zoom) is not a problem. Aside from the fact that it is easily fixable with a fw update this is not a rangefinder.

I shoot manual %100 of the time with the x100 and have never had a problem. It is very easy to use the aflock button to autofocus when you want to or to set a manual focus distance and then walk around and shoot in manual.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

keyframe posted:

There is still 3-4 weeks waiting list for the x100 everywhere, they cant make the things fast enough. They are not going to release a x200 anytime soon.

The "manual zoom thing" (assuming you mean manual focus, x100 has no zoom) is not a problem. Aside from the fact that it is easily fixable with a fw update this is not a rangefinder.

I shoot manual %100 of the time with the x100 and have never had a problem. It is very easy to use the aflock button to autofocus when you want to or to set a manual focus distance and then walk around and shoot in manual.

Sorry was a bit buzzed when writing that I did mean focus. Ill have to check one out when theyre more available. I guess my thought was that they'd think about one at another price point like 500-1k more that even more so targets the leica crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
We are not going to hear any announcement from any manufacturer till Photokina 2012. This year's got cancelled because of the quake so the next one will be huge with everyone announcing their new models. If fuji announces something it will be there and not a day before. I seriously doubt they will announce a new model anytime soon though.