Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

We are not going to hear any announcement from any manufacturer till Photokina 2012. This year's got cancelled because of the quake so the next one will be huge with everyone announcing their new models. If fuji announces something it will be there and not a day before. I seriously doubt they will announce a new model anytime soon though.

They're expecting some Sony announcements in late August. It was stuff that was supposed to have been announced by now, but got pushed back because of the quake. I'm beginning to suspect the NEX-7 and the rumored mirrorless, compact (ish) A-mount camera could possibly be the same thing, which would suck because I have no interest in an A-mount camera, let alone one much bigger than the current NEX line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
An actual replacement for the X100 will be a long time coming. All the rumors point to either another lens focal length (like a 24 or 28mm version) or an interchangeable lens version that could come with other problems (for example if they use an m4/3 sensor it will give up all the amazing IQ the X100 has).

If you are in the market for what the X100 is, you should buy now, I don't think it will be refreshed for at least 2 years.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Since someone mentioned film rangefinders (and I couldn't figure out which dorkroom thread would be best to ask), has anyone here used a Canonet QL17 GIII or a Yashica Electro 35 GSN? I've read some reviews on them but would appreciate some more insights on handling and quirks, and am pondering which one to pick if I wanted to try out "rangefinder-style" shooting. Currently my only clue is that I'd prefer aperture priority (Yashica) over shutter (Canonet), but honestly I have no clue if it isn't a completely different story with SRLs than rangefinders.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

plasmoduck posted:

Since someone mentioned film rangefinders (and I couldn't figure out which dorkroom thread would be best to ask), has anyone here used a Canonet QL17 GIII or a Yashica Electro 35 GSN? I've read some reviews on them but would appreciate some more insights on handling and quirks, and am pondering which one to pick if I wanted to try out "rangefinder-style" shooting. Currently my only clue is that I'd prefer aperture priority (Yashica) over shutter (Canonet), but honestly I have no clue if it isn't a completely different story with SRLs than rangefinders.

The Film Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270

or the Centralized Gear Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404

Will probably get you better answers than in here.

Both of those cameras are pretty universally loved, but I know some people have them, I've seen them discussed in the film thread.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Thanks a lot =), I thought the film thread was more about developing, but now that I see people also talk about gear I will give it a try.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There are many overlapping threads, but this is probably your best bet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387938

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
x100 peeps - has the romance worn off, or do you see this being a lasting relationship? I'm looking at pulling the trigger in a couple of weeks and I'm torn between the terrible lust I have for the x100 and the alternate temptation of grabbing an E-P3 and the new Leica 25mm/1.4 lens instead.

If you were going into the camera shop next month with a fistfull of cash, and you hadn't already bought your x100, would you still make the same purchase, knowing what you know now and having spent this time with yours?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krackmonkey posted:

x100 peeps - has the romance worn off, or do you see this being a lasting relationship? I'm looking at pulling the trigger in a couple of weeks and I'm torn between the terrible lust I have for the x100 and the alternate temptation of grabbing an E-P3 and the new Leica 25mm/1.4 lens instead.

If you were going into the camera shop next month with a fistfull of cash, and you hadn't already bought your x100, would you still make the same purchase, knowing what you know now and having spent this time with yours?

Absolutely. x100 rocks.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

keyframe posted:

Absolutely. x100 rocks.

Care to elaborate? Compared to what previous camera/s? Love about it? Dislikes?

If there was one thing you felt most important to communicate to someone considering this purchase, what would it be?

Disregard if my questions are annoying :) Cheers!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

krackmonkey posted:

If there was one thing you felt most important to communicate to someone considering this purchase, what would it be?

I love my x100, even though I kind of miss telephotos sometimes. I am generally more interested in environmental portraits of my trips and family shenanigans than portraits of friends/family with a destroyed background. My main walk around used to be a Zeiss 35/2(or 50 1.8 if I needed autofocus) and 5d2, if that gives you any idea of how much I like my X100. It doesn't have quite the sharpness/microcontrast/gaussian blur that the 35ZE had, but it can auto focus and its so light/tiny compared to the old kit.

Before you buy one, make sure you enjoy the 35mm FOV and can make due with it as your only choice to frame shots.

e: A GF2/3 + 20 1.7 or Pen + Leica sounds like a fantastic compromise if you only have one camera, or have a broad range of photographic needs.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 13, 2011

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Before you buy one, make sure you enjoy the 35mm FOV and can make due with it as your only choice to frame shots.

e: A GF2/3 + 20 1.7 or Pen + Leica sounds like a fantastic compromise if you only have one camera, or have a broad range of photographic needs.

I am pretty fond of the 35mm FOV, but there are times when I find myself wanting for something wider.

I already have an Olympus E-PL2 and the 20/1.7, so I'd probably hold onto that since it remains a cheap gateway into other focal lengths if needed. I'd hook my friend up with it if I go the E-P3 route, but I'd keep my 20 no matter what.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

It is an amazing supplemental camera and a pretty drat good primary one. Having interchangeable lenses makes for very nice flexibility but that means nothing if you're unable or unwilling to lug a whole system around. The x100 slides right into that niche. Wherever I am, I have a super capable camera on hand.

I shot a wedding with it as a guest. I have some street stuff I'm pleased with because with a DSLR you get photos of people who act like they are having a DSLR pointed at them. I have a soft release and a Gordy's handstrap on it and it has it's own bag that goes everywhere with me so yeah, I foresee a lasting relationship.

I recommend reading this: http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100-review/ and pay attention to the downsides.

Like Shmoogy says, make sure you're down with 35mm. Personally I've found it freeing and the OVF is still a joy to look through. The only real complaint I have that doesn't come up often is that the x100 can be awkward to hold/hard to hold on to when it is 100 degrees outside and I'm sweating like a hooker in church. I've had an official hood on order for around 5 weeks now, I'm hoping it will help me have something to hang on to since I'm used to having a substantial lens to grip.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

awesome- thanks to all who chimed in on the x100, it gives me some food for thought while I'm waiting for finances to align.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krackmonkey posted:

It is a amazingly built camera that you can carry with you all the time that takes amazing pictures and has iso performance comparable to the best full frame dslr's.

I have not touched my 7D and my L lenses ever since I got it. If 35mm is the focal lenght you like it is worth its weight in gold.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
E-PL1 refurb w/ kit lens at Cameta for $299! Should I get it? I've always wanted to try an m4/3rds camera.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
m4/3 doesn't get enough love, especially in this thread.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

krackmonkey posted:

I think I've had mine the longest, 4 months now. The romance has not worn off. I mean I don't think of it as an awesome new gadget anymore, but I still carry it every day and love taking photos with it. I foresee it lasting a long time as my carry everywhere camera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Radbot posted:

E-PL1 refurb w/ kit lens at Cameta for $299! Should I get it? I've always wanted to try an m4/3rds camera.

To get started in m4/3 that's a very good deal.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Currently on vacation in Ecuador and it has served quite well. Occasionally I miss zoom for landscapes but otherwise it is awesome. gently caress lugging around heavy camera gear while traveling and having to checkin bags.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
The Micro 4/3 Panasonic 20mm f1.7 has been dropping in price. It was $399 for basically forever and then went down to $379 when I ordered it a week ago. It's now $359 through a reseller on Amazon. I'll report back when I've had a chance to play with mine a bit.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
So sony alpha rumors is reporting that an x100 killer in the form of the NEX-7 is likely in the works.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-hot-is-that-the-first-image-of-the-nex-7/

What do we think about this?

I'll find it even harder to justify the cost but I think that was what the NEX should've been in the first place.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If Sony could get their act together and put out some decent fast pancake primes, they'd have that poo poo on lock. However, this is Sony we're talking about so they'll probably just come up with yet another proprietary technology that'll die on the vine.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Rontalvos posted:

So sony alpha rumors is reporting that an x100 killer in the form of the NEX-7 is likely in the works.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-hot-is-that-the-first-image-of-the-nex-7/

What do we think about this?

I'll find it even harder to justify the cost but I think that was what the NEX should've been in the first place.

It looks interesting, but as HPL mentioned a camera system isn't just about it's body (unless it has a fixed lens), we need a better selection of lens dammit! I do think having an EVF and hotshot built in is great though. It'll be interesting to see how the see of dials and buttons feel for someone with big hands.

I wish Sony would release a flash shoe for the current models, with a PC port on the side. Actually, I'd just like a PC port :smith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
That lens looks huge. Also it needs a optical viewfinder if it hopes to be a "x100 killer"

EVF's are poo poo.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

keyframe posted:

EVF's are poo poo.

As an owner of an A55 I can wholly confirm this. Correct me if I'm wrong but OLEDs don't have the same lifetime as an LCD - or did I read something incorrectly at some point?

Also, as a point of interest, other posts on that site claim the 24mm Zeiss lens to be a pancake, so either that's incorrect or the camera photo is a mock-up.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

keyframe posted:

That lens looks huge. Also it needs a optical viewfinder if it hopes to be a "x100 killer"

EVF's are poo poo.

Yes, EVF's are poo poo, but they're better than nothing. A good clear, bright OVF would be next to useless on a NEX because it would only be usable for a few focal lengths, if even that. These cameras built for two different uses. Being a 'x100 killer' is just hype.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Not all EVFs are poo poo, by any means. There's a huge range in resolution and usability out there. There was one camera I tried in a store that had an amazing EVF, but I can't remember at all what it was.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Costello Jello posted:

Not all EVFs are poo poo, by any means. There's a huge range in resolution and usability out there. There was one camera I tried in a store that had an amazing EVF, but I can't remember at all what it was.

I have to ask if was it a nice nice dream? Because there is no way an EVF is ever as good as an OVF. Even the smallest, foggiest OVFs that I have encountered have trumped any EVF I have used. I won't deny that they are handy compared to having to use an LCD in broad sun light, but they are less than ideal. Unfortunately an EVIL camera with the flexibility of an SLR will never have any thing better than better than EVF.

I still can't understand why Sony insist on using them in them in any of their SLRs.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea no EVF compares to a nice bright OVF in my experience. I dont mind having it for the one in a million time I want to use it but I am glad x100 gives me the choice of being able to use what I want.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I actually like having an EVF, being able to zoom in and preview DOF in real time is fantastic. I find myself using EVF on my x100 like 1/3 of the time, especially in a difficult lighting situation because it's easier to see the exposure.

That being said, the OVF on the x100 absolutely owns the EVF, but still.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

MediumWellDone posted:

I have to ask if was it a nice nice dream? Because there is no way an EVF is ever as good as an OVF.

I think you're having an argument with yourself or something because I can't see where I said that.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

krackmonkey posted:

I don't have an x100 but I have an EP-1 which I bought in September 2009 and I am "still in love" with it. Even two years on it's my main camera instead of my dslrs, it sits in my bag every single day with the pancake and I throw a few other lenses in on weekends.

The x100 is great but people are spooging on a bit too much about it as if it's the only option in my opinion, you will in no way be disappointed if you instead choose m4/3.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I don't have an x100 but I have an EP-1 which I bought in September 2009 and I am "still in love" with it. Even two years on it's my main camera instead of my dslrs, it sits in my bag every single day with the pancake and I throw a few other lenses in on weekends.

The x100 is great but people are spooging on a bit too much about it as if it's the only option in my opinion, you will in no way be disappointed if you instead choose m4/3.

except the sensor on the x100 kicks the poo poo out of m4/3 sensors. There is no comparison.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
If you want to shoot only the focal length on the x100 its a good choice.

To somebody who doesn't know what focal length works for them the x100 is a poor choice IMO.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm gonna go for the E-P3 and (hopefully) the 25/1.4 and pretty much never look back. As sexy as the x100 is, I know I'm always going to be wishing it did just a bit more than just one wonderful and brilliant trick.

I love my E-PL2, it's ALMOST perfect for what I'd want from a camera. The E-P3 looks to be even closer to my ideal, and I'll explain why.

My ideal camera, if we're talking pure, forged from raw dream material and bordering on what I'm sure most of you will consider heresy, would be a slightly thicker, just a smidge bigger iPhone with interchangeable lenses and a bigger sensor. I poo poo you not. I'll whip that drat phone out in places where I'm way too self-conscious to bring a "real" camera, and because of that, I am taking more photos every day. I like using a touch screen for focusing and directing focal point, and I love using apps like Instagram, Hipstamatic, and Plastic Bullet, to name a few. Whoever figures out how to design a body/sensor system around a chipset that could run iOS or Android and be capable of running apps is going to completely tear up the consumer camera market and make a giant mountain of cash, and it amazes me that it hasn't already happened. Imagine something like that new iPad app from NIK it it was a collection of fully tweakable exposure presets for a camera with a double digit megapixel sensor and some fast, optically sweet glass. Now imagine it in your pocket, and not even the big pocket, we're talking pants pocket. That would be my ideal camera.

Obviously the E-P3 isn't that camera either, but it has a lot of the characteristics that my ideal camera would have, AND it manages to bridge the divide between my weird fantasy and the suave retro awesomeness of the x100. It has onboard effects that are actually worth using, the AF looks amazing, and it's got some pretty decent low light performance results, from what I've seen. Most importantly, it allows me to keep my wonderful 20/1.7, and I'm mostly comfortable with Olympus's little quirks by now. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Not to knock the X100, I KNOW it's awesome, and I'd love it to death, but it's not the right camera for me, and it took some figuring out to really understand that and make my peace with not giving in to the impulse to hop on the bandwagon, because y'all take some pretty tempting shots with yours, but you know that.

TL/DR: I want an iPhone with interchangeable lenses, but I'll settle for an Olympus.

This is especially ironic since: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/07/olympus-is-talking-trash-about-your-camera-phone/

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

krackmonkey posted:

I'm gonna go for the E-P3 and (hopefully) the 25/1.4 and pretty much never look back. As sexy as the x100 is, I know I'm always going to be wishing it did just a bit more than just one wonderful and brilliant trick.

but, if you only had a 25/1.4 on a EP3, wouldn't that also just be one wonderful trick? Not knocking your decision, as you seem to already be vested in m4/3s gear and it makes sense to upgrade in that path, it's just from my personal experience (I own and shoot a d700 and d7000, and have had a m4/3s system in the past with the wonderful 20mm f1.7 that I sold) the x100 is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I ever did with the m4/3s system. And I bought the m4/3s camera to substitute lugging my DSLRs everywhere.

I used to see my Panasonic GF1 and the 20 1.7 sitting on my drawer while I begrudgingly put my d700 and a 24 1.4 in my bag to go out. Now the d700 has been sitting in that exact same spot on the drawer since I've had my x100.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Pardon my earlier poo poo post.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Chim posted:

but, if you only had a 25/1.4 on a EP3, wouldn't that also just be one wonderful trick?
Oh yeah, if I exclusively used that setup, you would be 100% correct. What I mean was I already have a couple other m/43 lenses to accompany said setup, so I would have a little more versatility and can always get something else to fill a different focal length, whereas with the x100 I'm permanently committed to that awesome 35mm FOV/Glass.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

If you want dslr image quality and a viewfinder, it is the only option. M4/3 is a great step up from P&S cameras, but the small sensor just doesn't deliver the goods, especially in low light, or high dynamic range settings. And that ignores the OVF which is an experience all by itself. NEX bodies have a great sensor, but no viewfinder.

I can edit X100 files right next to 5D files with the 85mm 1.8. That is saying something. There is no M4/3 offering yet that will withstand post processing with a full frame camera and not be immediately noticeable.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Holy fuckin' poo poo.

quote:

(SR5) The revolution is coming: NEX adapter with built-in translucent mirror!

Is this the end of DSLR-SLT cameras? That is the first sentence that came into my mind when I read the following rumor: According to my very best sources Sony is ready to launch a special Alpha to E-mount adapter with built-in translucent mirror and phase detection AF system!!! This means you can transform every NEX camera in a perfect A-mount compatible system! Something similar has been made by Leica with the Visoflex (Click here to see that adapter on eBay). The electronic viewfinder is not included on the adapter (you can attach it separately on the hotshoe).

This actually isn't totally out of left field, there's been a rumored "alternative mount solution" for the NEX/E-mount for some time. Sony is actually starting to tempt me away from Canon for my main DSLR kit with this one, even though I don't own any Alpha-mount glass and don't have any immediate plans to buy any, yet. SR5 is all but guaranteed, so I'm pretty excited about this, and interested to see where it goes.

There was also a Leica M + Helicoid adapter announced by a company, which is something I've thought would be awesome from Day 1 with the NEX (rangefinder lenses can't focus closer than about 70cm usually, this helicoid basically acts as an on-demand extension tube and lets you focus closer without changing lenses/adding an actual tube and losing infinity focus). I almost sold most of my RF lenses last week, rather glad I didn't now.

Good day to be an NEX shooter :toot: