Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Am I the only dipshit hoping for an XT50? My 30 is a great almost x100 with a 28 pancake on it, with all the benefits of interchangeable lenses. The only thing giving me wanderlust is IBIS and weather sealing since mine sees the most action backpacking or climbing (granted I haven't fried it yet despite rain). I love the form factor, but guessing the XT5 is too similar in size for there to be a successor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d guess the main lineup is X-H, X-T and XS. They haven’t touched the lower models since the X-T30 mk II I think. Their strategy is probably if you want the good dials you should pay the extra money.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The lower end of the market is drying up.
Fuji have also had issues with production trying to make so many models at once.

Scaling back to a core 3/4 models makes sense for a company their size.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Low-end anything is a dying market. Phones do a ‘good enough’ job. Most consumers with enough money to be able to act on a desire to get a camera better than a phone have enough to buy something ‘mid-range’ or better and marketing is happy to reinforce that consumer’s notion of ‘more money=better than’

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I’d guess the main lineup is X-H, X-T and XS. They haven’t touched the lower models since the X-T30 mk II I think. Their strategy is probably if you want the good dials you should pay the extra money.

That all happened during COVID, though. And the X-Tx0 line might be their best selling. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect one this year, especially since the X-T5 is a year old so it’s time and I don’t think the X-T6 is coming this quick. If they’re making new XF bodies this year, they can’t all be expensive ones :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yeah if the VI rumors are true I'm probably gonna just pick up a used V when the VI hits the market, IBIS does not hold enough interest for me on a fundamentally hobby device to warrant an extra $300 premium

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp, the X100VI looks great.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4jogLG9is

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The X100VI is here. It looks… fine? $1599. 40mp sensor. Same viewfinder, rear screen, shutter speeds as the X-T5. One stop worse image stabilization than the X-T5 if B&H specs are accurate on launch. First X camera with Reala Ace film sim. And the same smaller battery from the X100V.

I really like Kevin Mullins work. Here’s his initial thoughts on the X100VI after using it.

https://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/blog/fujifilm-x100vi-review

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Seems a lot of money for a single UHS-I slot :barf:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

40 is a lot of megapixels, I hope the higher ISO performance doesn’t suffer although I guess you’ll be seeing a lot less grain on resized photos.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's for sure the same sensor in the xt5. So plenty of images you can look at to decide.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
gxAce pulled out all the stops in his vid. To do the X100VI justice he apparently added another concentric shell of 1990s studio equipment to augment his cyber transmission. Also put on the tribal headgear with wires in every direction.

I like my V just fine, not in a hurry to upgrade.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Am I the only dipshit hoping for an XT50? My 30 is a great almost x100 with a 28 pancake on it, with all the benefits of interchangeable lenses. The only thing giving me wanderlust is IBIS and weather sealing since mine sees the most action backpacking or climbing (granted I haven't fried it yet despite rain). I love the form factor, but guessing the XT5 is too similar in size for there to be a successor?

Fuji Rumors says X-T30ii replacement will be announced this spring. You’re not alone wanting this.

Maybe the X-E4 line is dead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Fuji Rumors says X-T30ii replacement will be announced this spring. You’re not alone wanting this.

I might be down for that this year. I'm definitely in the market (because my X-T20 has served me well for 5 years now) and not sure I want to go up to the X-T5 or an X-Pro.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Spring and Summer will have 2 body announcements, which is exciting. One will be photo-centric and one will be hybrid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frumpykvetchbot posted:

gxAce pulled out all the stops in his vid. To do the X100VI justice he apparently added another concentric shell of 1990s studio equipment to augment his cyber transmission. Also put on the tribal headgear with wires in every direction.

As much as he makes me roll my eyes I have to respect his commitment to the bit.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

qirex posted:

As much as he makes me roll my eyes I have to respect his commitment to the bit.

*6000 wires stick out of my head* "The future.. is now.. BEEP BOOP release your inhibitions..feel the rain on your skin" *shows a blurry photo of my cat*

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

ok so Fuji is putting out a 40 mp “compact”

Panasonic follow suit you cowards refresh your compacts why is the ZS100 $600 new when it hasn’t changed since 2017!!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I wish Nikon would try a compact fixed lens camera again. Fuji needs some competition to push them a bit more. The X100VI feels nerfed on the spec sheet, but I’m sure it’s a wonderful camera in the real world.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I just need a Ricoh GR IV announcement, preferably GR IVx. My only digital camera for the past 6 years has been a Ricoh GR and over the years I keep turning off more and more features. I don't even turn on the display any more, I just use a 28mm OVF and shoot on program. X100VI looks cool but it's like 2x the weight and I don't really care about dials on digital cameras.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Having owned both the GR and X100 are not really competing with each other, or at least one isn't good at the same things as the other. The only real similarity is they're both fixed lens cameras with APS-C sensors. I would like something like a new Sony RX100 for snapshot use, I've not really connected with my GR.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

wolfs posted:

ok so Fuji is putting out a 40 mp “compact”

In one way this is surprising, but in another kinda not.

I'm sure everyone in this thread is well aware that smartphone sensors are not comparable to dedicated camera sensors, but when 3 year old smartphones have 50mp main sensors there is a "gotta keep up with the big numbers" marketing element to this.

If Fuji and others are hoping to hook (wealthy!) casual users into their compact product lines, then they've either got to educate those people about why 24mp is perfectly fine or suck it up and pander to the "bigger number better" crowd.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I was less than quietly rooting for a 26mp stacked sensor.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Waffled on it last night, preordered this morning. I wonder how many days/weeks and resale value on the X100V I cost myself by waiting.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I'm sure everyone in this thread is well aware that smartphone sensors are not comparable to dedicated camera sensors, but when 3 year old smartphones have 50mp main sensors there is a "gotta keep up with the big numbers" marketing element to this.

If Fuji and others are hoping to hook (wealthy!) casual users into their compact product lines, then they've either got to educate those people about why 24mp is perfectly fine or suck it up and pander to the "bigger number better" crowd.

Two of their flagships have this sensor. The other has a stacked one.

If you want to reduce costs and reuse parts then the 40mp sensor makes sense.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

illcendiary posted:

Waffled on it last night, preordered this morning. I wonder how many days/weeks and resale value on the X100V I cost myself by waiting.

I have my dad’s X100F that I should sell for him because it’s just taking up space. A month ago KEH said they would give me almost $1000 for it. Yesterday it was $750. Oops. Probably will sell it on my own now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Brrrmph posted:

I have my dad’s X100F that I should sell for him because it’s just taking up space. A month ago KEH said they would give me almost $1000 for it. Yesterday it was $750. Oops. Probably will sell it on my own now.

Yeah, it was $1300 for me a few weeks ago and $1050 last night. Which is fine, I’m getting use out of it in the meantime. I’m more wondering if it’ll drop further by the time I get it 🤔

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm broke as poo poo now but I'm hoping by this summer finances are more stable because I'm probably going to look at all the used X100Fs and Vs to replace my old baby. The VI looks fine, but I don't really need IBIS and to be completely fair the only thing that made me consider the V in the first place was the weather sealing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

I might be down for that this year. I'm definitely in the market (because my X-T20 has served me well for 5 years now) and not sure I want to go up to the X-T5 or an X-Pro.

Get the X-T5. You know you want it. It's waiting for you.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm broke as poo poo now but I'm hoping by this summer finances are more stable because I'm probably going to look at all the used X100Fs and Vs to replace my old baby. The VI looks fine, but I don't really need IBIS and to be completely fair the only thing that made me consider the V in the first place was the weather sealing.

If I get an order in for a VI I'll give you first chance at mine. And I won't gouge you on the price!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

If I get an order in for a VI I'll give you first chance at mine. And I won't gouge you on the price!

Your F, yeah? I'll take you up on it, but I'll be honest it might not be late summer.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

VI looks nice and is slightly less expensive than I was expecting, but I think I’ll sleep on it before making the call on whether I’ll preorder it from my local shop or just get a used V when the price crashes in a week or two.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

rolleyes posted:

OTOH, when are we going to get some of the computational stuff smartphone cameras can do baked into a camera with a real sensor. The extra MP can be helpful for some of that. Let me hand hold a burst long exposure with a real camera and have the it align the shots and do the LE summing for me in camera plz.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Splinter posted:

OTOH, when are we going to get some of the computational stuff smartphone cameras can do baked into a camera with a real sensor. The extra MP can be helpful for some of that. Let me hand hold a burst long exposure with a real camera and have the it align the shots and do the LE summing for me in camera plz.

I think Olympus OM already does that but I get your point. You could do something like a front or rear curtain flash effect with just a double exposure. Let people write their own tone curves/"film simulations," etc. I think a lot of people want the endgame to be a dumb camera with just a bigass sensor, dials, etc. and the phone does all the heavy lifting. Previous attempts at this have highlighted all the issues with it though.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Splinter posted:

Yeah this would be pretty sweet but at this point it pretty much requires a camera manufacturer to team up with Apple/Google/Samsung (or to be bought by one of them).

They're so far ahead with realtime and near-real-time AI/image synthesis (both hardware and software) that simply getting on parity with today's smartphone capabilities would be a huge R&D investment, and camera makers don't have an Apple/Google-size budget. Or their software engineering capabilities (I'm looking at you Fuji and your terrible menus).

Maybe the future is cameras with "Powered by Google Photos" on the back.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

rolleyes posted:

Yeah this would be pretty sweet but at this point it pretty much requires a camera manufacturer to team up with Apple/Google/Samsung (or to be bought by one of them).

They're so far ahead with realtime and near-real-time AI/image synthesis (both hardware and software) that simply getting on parity with today's smartphone capabilities would be a huge R&D investment, and camera makers don't have an Apple/Google-size budget. Or their software engineering capabilities (I'm looking at you Fuji and your terrible menus).

Truth. Even Sony doesn't know how. Just look at their Xperia phones. They're rare but they exist. I have one.

Nice optics, and obviously Sony makes excellent sensors that they sell to everybody else.

But Sony has no idea how to do anything interesting with computational photography and so no AI powered low light photography or any of the stuff that makes Apple or Samsung phone snaps pop for you know ordinary people who don't give a poo poo that their background DOF effect bokeh is entirely fake or the detail and color isn't exactly real.

With Sony's phones you get exactly as much low light sensor noise and exposure time as you expect from a night shot. They do give you raws, and full manual control though. You can achieve nice pretty photos with a raw process through adobe's stuff. But why isn't any of that stuff in the phone's native camera app? You explained why.

I went flying over my handlebars the other day and smashed myself and my Xperia up pretty good. I'll repair it and sell it.

I like the ifone hardware but I can't stand apple users so I think I'm getting a Pixel 8 next.

quote:

Maybe the future is cameras with "Powered by Google Photos" on the back.

I think there's nothing dishonorable about that option at this point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Preorders are 50x bigger for the x100vi than the Sony A7CII and Sony A7CR combined. Only 14k units are being made each month (edit- this might be a misreading, it might be "per shipment" and the next shipment is April which would mean 14k units every ~2 months) so you're looking at maybe mid-to-late Summer if those haven't already filled up too. I have a suspicion that by the end of this week we're well into the Fall, but that's a guess based on WEX and BH interviews.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 22, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's no reason at all for me to buy one but I still want to. Gotta ignore it.

I was thinking a X-T6 would probably be far off, looked it up and the 4 came out 2020, 5 in 2022 so a 6 wouldn't be crazy. I suppose they might've decided to focus on the 100VI though and a X-T6 is more likely next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no reason at all for me to buy one but I still want to. Gotta ignore it.

I was thinking a X-T6 would probably be far off, looked it up and the 4 came out 2020, 5 in 2022 so a 6 wouldn't be crazy. I suppose they might've decided to focus on the 100VI though and a X-T6 is more likely next year.

If you didn't place an order yet, you're in luck! You'll never get it anyway!