Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

If you want dslr image quality, it is the only option. M4/3 is a great step up from P&S cameras, but the small sensor just doesn't deliver the goods, especially in low light, or high dynamic range settings. And that ignores the OVF which is an experience all by itself.

Sony NEX image quality is comparable to most DSLRs on the market today. The sensors used in NEX cameras(or closely related) are also used in Nikon D3100 and D7000, which are very competitive imgage quality wise amongst current APS-C DSLRs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

I haven't seen anyone proclaim the x100 as the only correct choice, maybe you could quote the posts that have done that? I've seen numerous posts suggesting that a person consider the x100, but even the most ardent X100-vangelists (me) understand that no interchangeable lens means it's not for everyone.

poopinmymouth posted:

If you want dslr image quality, it is the only option.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

spog posted:

I have a really nasty feeling that they may not.

first Pentax and their teeny-tiny sensor...now Nikon.

I don't like this trend.

I don't like noise.

Yeah, it is not much to get excited about, but at least the sensor is 4 times larger than the Pentax Q sensor (and 2.8 times the Canon S90/S95/100 sensors).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

HPL posted:

The new Canon G1X is out. Imagine a G12 with a sensor almost as large as an APS-C sensor. I think it's cool except for the lens. 28-112mm F2.8-5.8 isn't terribly impressive. I think they should have either gone for a fast pancake prime like the X100 or an f/2-2.8 type of zoom like the X10.

As it is, given the (probably) better high ISO performance of the G1X compared to the X10, it'll probably put a big dent in X10 sales if not push it out of the market. If Canon wanted to get really sassy, they could come out with an interchangeable G1X system later with pancake primes. If they hadn't already come out with the Canon 7D, I'd say revive the old Canon 7-series with this new system.

An f/2-2.8 type of zoom to match X10 would have to be absolutely massive in size, considering that the G1X sensor is six times larger than the X10 sensor.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

HPL posted:

The Fuji mount looks smaller than the NEX mount so there's a glimmer of hope that someone might be able to make a recessed Fuji-to-NEX adapter, much like the C-mount-to-NEX adapters out there.

If you check the comparison shots on the previous page, the Fuji mount is not smaller than NEX mount. It is just that the X-Pro1 is quite big. Much bigger than the X100.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Mightaswell posted:

Why would you want to mount NEX lenses anyways?

I think the idea was the opposite. To mount the Fuji lenses on a NEX. It sure could use the 35mm.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

The NEX-3 and NEX-5 (or at least the 5) series both have support for adding on an EVF, while the 7 has a good EVF built-in.

Only the NEX-5N supports the EVF. NEX-3, NEX-C3 and NEX-5 don't.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

What is stopping them from taking their f2.8 zooms and sticking a little extension on the contacts and mount, and selling it?

Nothing. Or perhaps they don't think there's a market for it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

Do you have some medium format lenses? Do you want more megapickles on your NEX?
How about 140?

*Medium format dof not included.

Actually, the DOF is the same as with a medium format camera.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

8th-snype posted:

No fast native until 2019? That's a bold move cotton, let's see if the adapter is poo poo or not.

EDIT: On further thought, I don't care if there is an adapter for F mount it's a huge mistake to not have native mount glass available right away. It would take at least 24-85mm f/2ish primes and a 70-200 to go with that 24-70 for me to think Nikon is taking this at all seriously.

But they have f/1.8 35 mm and 50 mm native lenses at launch and the rest next year? Initial testing also says that adapted F-mount lenses work as well or better on the Z7 as they do on DSLRs. Adapter is also included so lenses do not seem like a major issue?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I don’t think they are that interested in pulling Fuji/Sony users. The main target are Nikon DSLR users that may already have substantial amount on F-mount lenses a might otherwise consider Sony/Fuji.

I am certainly interested in replasing my old NEX5 that is mostly used for video and D7000 with a Z6. My 70-200 f/2.8 and 85 f/1.8 as well as flashes, wireless triggers etc. should work well on a Z6. DX wide-angles not so much, although I assume thre is a crop mode. APS-C Sony E doesn’t encourage to invest much in either and I’ve only got two cheap lenses for that.

My main concern with Z6 is the need to reset the focus point for 3D AF-C tracking when switching targets. Hopefully there will be a bit more info how it us in practice or a firmware update. Good AF on moving targets(motorsport, running dogs etc.) is a requirement.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think the Nikon DSLR owners are enough of a customer base for 2018. By the end on 2019 the native lens lineup should be quite adequate for most users:

20 mm f/1.8
35 mm f/1.8
50 mm f/1.8
85 mm f/1.8
14-30 mm f/4
24-70 mm f/4
24-70 mm f/2.8
70-200 mm f/2.8
58 mm f/0.95

+ adapted F-mounts which should take care of all the more marginal lenses like superteles and offer cheaper used alternatives for the native lenses.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

tino posted:

I DEMAND a 28mm/2.8/3.5 pancake lens from Sony FE, Nikon Z or Canon unnamed mirrorless system. There I said it.

Close enough?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1413345-REG/rokinon_io24af_e_af_24mm_f_2_8_lens.html

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
At least the MTF figures Nikon has published for the Z lenses are really good and they claim that they are better than anything they've released for DSLRs. According to Nikon the Z cameras have better image quality than Nikon DSLRs both in video and stills.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
50 mm f/1.8 can be a cheap lens or it can be a very high quality lens. There is more to price and quality of a lens than focal length and aperture.

The large mount should be visible in things like:
- Lenses are sharp in corners with little vignetting. The published lenses are according to charts published by Nikon.
- Wide angle lenses are high quality and compact. At least the 14-30 f/4 to be published is compact.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
There were some rumblings that Z-mount 50 mm f/1.8 has lower T-stop than F-mount 50 mm f/1.8, closer to F-mount f/1.4, but I haven’t seen anything concrete about that. We’ll see.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Nikkor Z 50 mm f/1.8:

Nikkor AF-S 50 mm f/1.8G (i.e. current DSLR 50 mm):

Nikkor AF 50 mm f/1.8D (i.e. older DSLR 50 mm):

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Well, they do clearly show the benefit of the large mount and that the 50 mm is not just the current design with the adapter glued on.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Another motivation for focusing on more expensive lenses may be third party manufacturers. Rokinon FE mount AF lenses appear very price competitive. May be difficult to maintain margin in that market.

Nikon business development director stated that they expect that third party manufacturers will reverse engineer the Z-mount and release lenses. Shouldn’t be too difficult as at least Sigma F-mount lenses appear work with the adapter already. They just need to replicate the signals of the adapter and they are done.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DJExile posted:

FWIW the 3 Olympus f/1.2 primes are all $1200 so that may give you some idea

Thise are M43 right? Full frame lenses will be much more I would guess.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Just like Compaq did with the IBM clone PCs.

Third party manufacturers already know F-mount through and through and now Nikon has provided a fully functional adapter between F and Z. That should tell the third parties everything they need to translate the electric signals between Z mount and their lenses.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 28, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Yes, they could make it more difficult than just replicating the signals. Here’s Google translate of Nikon BDM comment on the topic, whatever that means:

Nikon Japan BDM posted:

At the recital, there was a comment that the specification of Z mount will not be disclosed to the third party. Actually, in Nikon it seems that the same correspondence was made even with the lens for F mount of single lens reflex. Mr. Ikegami says that lens makers are anticipating that they will independently develop Z mount lenses through reverse engineering. Although it can be said whether or not to develop a lens for Z mount depending on the lens maker, I would like to expect Nikon for an attractive product development that lens makers would like to develop together.

Article: https://translate.googleusercontent...uvx-CGO889O9Znw

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Well the Z mount is about the same diameter as EF mount. Nikon probably wanted to make sure that they no longer had that disadvantage they’ve had with F mount.

Nikon has stated that there will be a D5 style mirrorless sports pro body, looking at the lens roadmap a logical release date might be with the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8 zooms.

They’ve also said that there will be cheaper ”non-S” lenses. I guess the ”S” is supposed to be their ”L” in Z mount lenses. Perhaps release of these will coincide with cheaper body options.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Seems a bit heavy for a travel lens. It is heavier than a 70-200 mm f/2.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KennyG posted:

In reality I think what I really want is a native 2.8. I was able to hold an adapted 24-70 2.8 today and it felt nice as far as weight. I don’t like the idea though of not having a native walk around lens. I use the 17-55 2.8 all the time on my 7D and really don’t want to go back to a f4.

I think a full frame f/4 should be very similar to the 17-55 f/2.8 on a 7D, shouldn’t it?