Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
[reserved for NEX-3 fanboy gushing, I'm at work right now]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Been super-busy this week, but I'll try and get something written up in the near future!

MediumWellDone posted:

One last thing, The main reason I got a mirrorless camera over a compact P&S, apart from the nice big sensor, is so I can use my rangefinder lens (I only have one) with it. I'm planning to get an adapter in the next week or two, but the Voigtlander one is quite expensive and I hear bad things about the cheap Chinese ones. The Kipon adapter seems to be a good compromise between quality and price. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have one of the Chinese NEX-M adapters and it's been fine. At one point, I think about 3-4 months into owning it, the mount started to come loose, but it was as easy as screwing it back in (you need one of those really small phillips head screwdrivers) and it hasn't give me any problems since.

What I have had problems with were the other Chinese adapters I've bought for it: the Pen F (old half frame lens mount) to NEX one doesn't lock on to the lens and I didn't want to wait a month for a replacement, and I went through two of the EOS to NEX ones that had the same problem ordering from a seller in New York. Eventually they just refunded me and said they were going to look into their supplier :jerkbag:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

I don't really understand rangefinder cameras. So if you hooked a rangefinder lens to your micro 4/3s camera would you see a double image on your LCD that needed to be converged to focus? Or is that just how the viewfinder worked on rangefinder cameras in order to approximate focus, since you couldn't actually see the image coming through the lens? So in that case, focusing with a rangefinder lens on a m4/3 camera would look just like focusing any other lens?

Correct on the latter. The reason they're popular on EVIL cameras is their compact size; they also sit closer to the sensor, so they don't have those almost inch-thick adapters like most SLR lenses do. The downside is that because of the way rangefinders work they aren't designed to focus closer than .7m (unless it's one of those uncoupled ultrawide lenses), which can be a drag. If someone integrated a helicoid into an NEX-M adapter to give it an on-demand extension tube effect, that'd be amazing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

I am semi interested in a Nex as a 2nd camera for my compressed lens, to supplement the x100 as my wide. I like the 75-100mm length a lot. With the new firmware enabling peaking, I am even more interested. The main thing is that I don't know which lenses to look for. Does anyone know a very very very small pancake prime that gives you the lens equivalent of 75-100mm (or even higher) that has an f/2 aperture or faster?

So you mean like a small 50mm or so prime? There are tons to choose from, although I'd recommend looking at rangefinder lenses if size is an issue. You could get a 50mm f/2 in the form of the Jupiter 8 for ~$30, which is actually pretty decent, but I'd recommend splashing out for something faster. The main catch is not being able to focus closer than 7cm or so, but if that doesn't matter I'd say go for it. You could also look at (film) Pen lenses, I know they made a fast prime with some oddball focal length (68mm f/1.9 or something?), although IIRC it's fairly pricey.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You could also look at (film) Pen lenses, I know they made a fast prime with some oddball focal length (68mm f/1.9 or something?), although IIRC it's fairly pricey.

Was on my iPad before, there's a 60mm f/1.5 and a 70mm f/2.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

They should let you remap it to Direct Print :allears:

I'm actually fairly annoyed that the NEX doesn't have Direct Print/PictBridge support.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Never underestimate the power of some brassing and a previous owner's ID# engraved on a vintage lens to deter serious bidders. I'm thinking about ditching most or all of my hybrid 35mm rangefinder/NEX kit in favor of a more NEX-oriented setup; I liked 35mm but just don't bother these days, and the almost three foot minimum focusing distance on the RF lenses really cramps my style.

The old film Pen lenses are better suited to using on an EVIL, as they're even smaller and can focus close (con would be the smaller image circle, but until someone comes out with a full-frame mirrorless that's not the Leica M9, not a problem). I wanted one of the 42mm f/1.2's as a replacement for my Leica thread mount Canon 50mm f/1.2 as a night/bar lens, but the cost had deterred me until now as they're sought after by both collectors and shooters alike. After missing out on a nicer one that went for over $500 last week, I picked this one up today for a bit less than half that. As long as it's not a total dog and I find the somewhat oddball focal length works for me, I think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this baby.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Someone (preferably with an NEX) buy this and review it: http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr35/.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

titanium posted:

How likely do you think there will be an x200 or upgrade of that camera released soon?

Im interested in getting one but the manual zoom thing has me wanting to wait. I have a d90 to tide me over but I like street photography and I'm itching for a less offensive camera.

Depends on what you mean by "soon", but if you were in the market for an X100 I would go ahead and buy one. It's a camera that's likely to hold its resale value pretty well, and the next iteration may not be a massive improvement.

There are other options: my NEX is pretty discreet for street stuff (the articulating LCD works great as a waist-level finder, and it's small enough not to trip the "serious camera" switch in people's minds), or you could pick up a film rangefinder, which is what the X100 is more or less based on.

edit: received the 42mm f/1.2 in the mail yesterday; haven't gotten a chance to shoot much with it yet but initial reaction is very positive. Here's one shot from this morning, I think around f/2 or thereabouts:

A Successful Finish to a Memorable First Date by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 10, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

We are not going to hear any announcement from any manufacturer till Photokina 2012. This year's got cancelled because of the quake so the next one will be huge with everyone announcing their new models. If fuji announces something it will be there and not a day before. I seriously doubt they will announce a new model anytime soon though.

They're expecting some Sony announcements in late August. It was stuff that was supposed to have been announced by now, but got pushed back because of the quake. I'm beginning to suspect the NEX-7 and the rumored mirrorless, compact (ish) A-mount camera could possibly be the same thing, which would suck because I have no interest in an A-mount camera, let alone one much bigger than the current NEX line.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Holy fuckin' poo poo.

quote:

(SR5) The revolution is coming: NEX adapter with built-in translucent mirror!

Is this the end of DSLR-SLT cameras? That is the first sentence that came into my mind when I read the following rumor: According to my very best sources Sony is ready to launch a special Alpha to E-mount adapter with built-in translucent mirror and phase detection AF system!!! This means you can transform every NEX camera in a perfect A-mount compatible system! Something similar has been made by Leica with the Visoflex (Click here to see that adapter on eBay). The electronic viewfinder is not included on the adapter (you can attach it separately on the hotshoe).

This actually isn't totally out of left field, there's been a rumored "alternative mount solution" for the NEX/E-mount for some time. Sony is actually starting to tempt me away from Canon for my main DSLR kit with this one, even though I don't own any Alpha-mount glass and don't have any immediate plans to buy any, yet. SR5 is all but guaranteed, so I'm pretty excited about this, and interested to see where it goes.

There was also a Leica M + Helicoid adapter announced by a company, which is something I've thought would be awesome from Day 1 with the NEX (rangefinder lenses can't focus closer than about 70cm usually, this helicoid basically acts as an on-demand extension tube and lets you focus closer without changing lenses/adding an actual tube and losing infinity focus). I almost sold most of my RF lenses last week, rather glad I didn't now.

Good day to be an NEX shooter :toot:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

All this talk is seriously making me reconsider bringing my DSLR on my upcoming extended trip through India/SE Asia...though as much as I would like it, not having a telephoto lens probably means that it cannot be a replacement, and the lack of a viewfinder on the NEX kinda kills me; though it would be nice to be able to use my LTM lenses.

I haven't taken my 5D on either of my last two trips. I'm thinking of doing some research and seeing what the smallest 200mm lens I can find is (maybe Leica Visoflex or something?) and adding that to my NEX kit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hey PIMM, get ready to deal with it :smugdog:

NEX-7 to have X100-style viewfinder

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm a little iffy on the larger size of the NEX-7; while I'm sure it's not going to be massive, the biggest draw of the NEX-3 for me was the size. If it's bumping up on Rebel territory, I'd be more likely to just carry a DSLR. I'm sure they bulked it up a bit for the new viewfinder, but I imagine some of it was just to nip the inevitable "OMG TOO SMALL FOR ME" complaints from pros/semi-pros in the bud. The whole point of the system is to have something small (otherwise, just get a DSLR), so compromises like that irk me, especially since I'm 6'1" with proportionally-sized hands and haven't had an issue yet with any camera I've shot with. Quit complaining, you shovel-fisted babbies.

On the other hand, my NEX-3 gets a ton of use, and while I don't have any major complaints on it, a professional/prosumer type upgrade would be sorely tempting. I'm going to wait until it hits stores to see if I can live with the size, and if I like it, order one from the US (Japanese version only has Japanese menus, and more importantly, costs like US$500 more).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

East Lake posted:

It still looks relatively small in this commercial with master travel photographer guy.

Well poo poo, there goes $1300 + international shipping.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Already picked up by mirrorlessrumors.com which I noticed because I am obsessively refreshing for NEX release dates.

Should be November, right?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Earlier today, I took a walk through Pike Place Market. I was surprised by how many tourists were carrying NEX cameras. I didn't do an exact tally or anything, but I'd guess 20-25% of the non-point-and-shoots were NEXes. Anecdotal, I know, I just thought it was interesting to see so many of them mixed in with the consumer level DSLRs.

That's kind of counter to my experience, I've seen 0 other NEX's in the wild until I came to Japan. One of the guys at Tokyo Orientation had one, and three of the other teachers here in my city have them as well. The ones in my city went with the 16mm pancake, which is a little surprising because they're novice photographers and don't have any other lenses.

Also, the NEX-7 (or next firmware update) better loving add PictBridge support.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

I don't get it. It doesn't seem much smaller than a 4/3rds setup, yet features a much smaller sensor. Nor is it less expensive.

Apart from some neat bells and whistles (1200fps like those old Casio's did, phase detect, random amateur picture modes) what is the appeal of this proprietary system? Even if the video codec is done right, the sensor size is a total bottleneck.

Yeah, really. 2.7X crop? I hope Canon has something better up their sleeve.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

They are popular overseas, where it's marketed to girls for their size. With a pancake on, it's almost pocketable, and definitely purse-able. Big whoop.

One of their best biggest selling points, the EVF, is usually an add-on that costs half the price of the camera.

So yeah, I don't get it either.

AceClown posted:

It's really odd, I can see the phone cameras killing off the lower end P&S cameras that your average 18-30 has to take on a night out with pals, but the price point of the EVILs put them up there with most entry level dSLR's.

So who are they aimed at? That's what I can't work out.

Shmoogy posted:

Neither can they, their current approach seems to be price it high because gently caress you, that's why.

You guys seriously don't see the appeal of an EVIL? I basically haven't touched my 5D for digital since I got my NEX-3; it delivers really similar image quality in a much smaller and more portable package. It can use legacy rangefinder and half-frame glass with inexpensive adapters. It's actually reasonable to bring out with you wherever; in addition to the size, it's quieter and less obtrusive, and doesn't trip the "oh god, he brought a *real* camera" switch in people's brains. You can pick up the last-gen ones for not much more than a high-end point and shoot, and get a nice jump in image quality and ergonomics. I mean, Sony is using the exact same sensors from their DSLR's in the NEX line, including the A77's 24MP beast. To be honest, unless you shoot sports/action or need the absolute best in high ISO performance (and the NEX line is no slouch in that regard) I don't really see the appeal of DSLR's to your average person.

Paragon8 posted:

The point and shoot market will be killed off by camera phones within the next 2-3 years so I'd imagine manufacturers are trying to find a new market to sell to.

I guess time will tell how successful EVILs will be.

I think they've seen the writing on the wall for this for some time now, and I confess I found myself in a similar buying position. I bought a nice smartphone for the first time a month ago (Samsung Galaxy S II), mostly because it has a nice camera and runs Droid, which has a few decent photo apps. I've been considering getting a waterproof camera for taking to the beach/hot springs/hiking/wherever, but the fact that I won't use it in literally any other situation because my phone already takes decent pictures, and I have a DSLR or the NEX for more serious stuff, means I'm still holding off. If EVIL's weren't there to fill the niche of a portable camera that puts out high-quality images, I'd be considering something like an S95/S100 to complement my 5D and Hasselblad, but as it stands there's just no point. My phone is always on me, it takes decent pictures in most situations, and for just a little more size/weight I can be taking DSLR-quality pictures with my NEX kit.

I will say it'd be interesting to see if Nikon's sensor finds its way into a phone, or X50-type compact.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

I doubt it. Phones use tiny sensors because they're cheap and only need tiny lenses. A larger sensor would need a larger lens which would add weight and cost, not to mention it would probably be harder on battery life.

Yeah, but I think there's a market for people who would take the extra money that the phone costs and spend it on a separate camera. Here in Japan, I saw Docomo has a phone that has a retracting zoom lens, like a digital P&S. I was intrigued and actually meant to look into it, but just sorta forgot and didn't remember until I was walking out of the store the next week with my Droid.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DJExile posted:

Crossposting (somewhat), a guy on the sidelines of the Cincinnati/NC State game last night let me see his EP-3 PEN with a regular 4/3 7-14mm f/4 lens. I have to say, these cameras are a lot more comfortable to hold then I thought they might be. The add-on electronic viewfinder was a neat touch as well.

Yeah, I got to play around with one (and an NEX-5n with the finder) at Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka this afternoon. I was sort of "eh" about the idea of an accessory finder, but it seems like it'd make manual focusing legacy glass a lot easier: I felt like I could nail focus without having to zoom in to 7x.

I also got a chance to play with that tiny Pentax with the interchangeable lenses. I gotta say... it's actually kinda cool. I'm sure the high ISO is pretty crap, but it's the size of a P&S and does offer some decent DoF/manual controls.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Just got the new 45mm 1.8 for my GH2 and goddamn this is a nice little lens. Now time to start saving for the 12mm 2.0 and try to trade up my 20mm 1.7 for the 25mm 1.4.

m4/3rds finally has a nice prime set...

I hate you guys (NEX owner checking in).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
NEX-7 will be delayed due to flooding in Thailand.

In other news, I was planning on getting the 55-210 for my NEX-3. It's literally $100 cheaper in America than Japan, but impatience (and not having to worry about it potentially getting held up in customs) may win out here.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rio posted:

I'm hoping that some of you here can help me with a decision regarding buying a NEX. Probably a NEX-5n.

This will be my one big camera purchase before my little girl is born, and being that it is a hobby for me, I don't anticipate buying another nice camera for a long time.

I have been looking through brands and types of cameras. Point and shoots will mist likely only frustrate me with noise. Full DSLR cameras are awesome, but I don't think I would have it with me as often, and I have been borrowing my wife's A230 a lot recently due to only having an AE-1 and a point and shoot that I have really outgrown, so having another DSLR in the house doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me.

The NEX-5n really seems to have everything I am looking for, but the lack of external controls is a bit of a deterrent. I hate spending so much time in menus on my point and shoot just to adjust iso or other basic things. I think I can live with the programmable keys, though, and the touchscreen would help I imagine.

700 bucks-ish is already pretty high for me. Here are my questions:

Is there any other camera that I would be stupid not to consider? I like that there is a cheap adapter to let me use my AE-1 lenses manually, and an adapter for Alpha lenses so if my wife gets a lens, we can share back and forth.

I assume that the NEX-3 would only give me buyer's remorse for not spending a little more for a much better body and a touch screen (and the other upgrades).

NEX5 vs 5n...many reviews I have read say that upgrading if you own the 5 is a subjective decision, but as someone new to the camera line, should I stuck with the 5n for longevity reasons? It seems like the image quality has been improved on the 5n.

Do any of you regret getting into the NEX line?

Last - would it make sense to wait to purchase until Black Friday/cyber Monday? Would this likely be something that would be on sake based on your tears if camera buying experience?

Thanks for answering any of these if you have the time. I have read most reviews available online by now of the old and new 3 and 5 series models - the only thing left is to try to get real world advice, and I definitely trust people here after lurking around the subforum so long.

E: Oh! Lack of a viewfinder... I have bad eyesight and find that I can't use a viewfinder properly anyways. Can't get my eye close enough. Is the screen good enough to be able to see if you are properly focused? I like the newly added feature that highlights in-focus edges on the screen...if it works well, that is.

I'm really, really happy with the NEX-3, and I say that as someone who's shot semi-professionally and loathes Sony's electronics.

I'd say the 5N is what you're looking for, unless you want to wait on the 7 and spend $1350 for the kit (I'm guessing not). Since it's new and relatively popular, I don't think there will be any killer deals on the NEX-5n, I think those sales are usually for clearing out older merchandise. Although if you're daughter isn't going to be born before then, no harm in waiting to see, I suppose.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I spent way too much on this lens cap, but it beats the lovely third-party metal screw-on one that came with the lens, and makes me feel :smug:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Well I just went ahead and ordered a NEX-3 from Amazon, 18-55 kit plus a free 16mm. Any recommendations for cheap adapters (Nikon F-mount or Minolta SR/MC/MD) or are they mostly interchangeable at the $30 price point?

I'd like to add the caveat that the eBay adapters can be a real crapshoot with quality. My LTM-NEX one came loose last New Years and I had to screw the mount back in when I got home, and I went through 3 different NEX-EOS adapters, all of which had locking issues (either it wouldn't lock on to the NEX body, or wouldn't lock on to my EOS lenses). After a few months, my Pen (the old half-frame 35mm camera, not m4/3) to NEX adapter isn't locking the lens on properly, which has led to a couple of close calls, and one time actually dropping it last weekend (it bounced off the rubber hood when it hit and was fine). If you're ordering from eBay, try to find a seller in your country so returns are easier, even if it means paying a couple bucks extra. I assume they all come out of the same factory in Shenzhen or wherever.

I'm debating just coughing up for one of the expensive Japanese adapters so I don't have to worry about it ever again with my 42mm f/1.2. Then again, for the same price, I can get like half a dozen of the cheap ones.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 1, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

I am starting up my photography hobby this weekend. I will be buying one of these cameras but I am still on the fence about them all. I don't need a kick rear end camera by any means, this is just purely for hobby to keep me entertained. I was thinking of spending around $400 maximum. There are some cameras, like the Samsung where it is possible to buy at that price.

I'd recommend an NEX-3. The Samsung is kind of a red-headed stepchild of the mirrorless lineup and I don't think they're selling well (so they may be unsupported in a camera-generation or two)

getsuga posted:

I use a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 on my nex 5n. Nice bokeh, and makes night shooting a breeze. Unfortunately with the adapter the length of the lens becomes slightly longer than the kit zoom. Peak focusing makes the lens really easy to focus. They're around $100 on ebay.

For about $100, you can also pick up an Olympus 38mm f/1.8, which is a great normal-ish lens on the NEX. It's compact (being a half-frame lens), and also focuses really close; makes a decent poor-man's macro.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

The Nex-3 and Nex-5 seem to be totally kick rear end. Is the E-PL1 comparable? It is much cheaper than the Nex's. I wish I could get a refurbished Nex..

Kinda/not really. The E-PL1 is m4/3, which has a *much* better assortment of native-mount lenses, although in your case that may not matter (not having the cash to buy them). On the other hand, it uses a 2x crop sensor, so it's noticeably more noisy at high ISO than the NEX's, and if you're using an old manual-focus lens on an adapter, it's more "zoomed in", which can be frustrating if you're doing anything other than portraits. The NEX also has that cool articulating LCD going for it, and some other neat features. Personally, the crop and pretty crappy high ISO were enough to turn me off on the m4/3 cameras completely: I was waiting for something like mirrorless cameras to come out almost since I got into DSLR's, but I held off until the NEX was announced because I wasn't convinced Olympus/Panasonic were on the right path.

You could look for a secondhand NEX-3 or something. With the new models coming out, some people are likely looking to upgrade.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Is there any reason to buy the Nex-5 when I don't plan on taking 1080dpi videos? Nex-3 is the way to go it seems then?

Nope, not really! (Proud NEX-3 owner here). One of the other differences is no support for an IR remote (so you could take a self-portrait without a self-timer when your camera is on a tripod or something), but it's irrelevant to most users.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Want to sell me your Nex-3? :glomp:

I'm planning to upgrade to a 7, but didn't pre-order so no idea when I'll be able to actually get one. No sure if I'd keep my 3 or sell it, but it wouldn't come with a lens anyways (I've got the 16mm and would keep that for the NEX-7).

(plus I live in Japan) :japan:

rio posted:

Got back from Best Buy earlier tonight. They had an open box NEX-5N w/ 18-55 for 600 bucks. I was waiting til Christmas to get one, but my wife was awesome enough to let the holidays come early, particularly with the Thailand flooding making stocking the camera possibly questionable- so I am a proud new owner. It has a very small mark on the lens housing...the saleswoman mentioned that it was a return but upon inspection nothing was wrong with the camera. So far so good, so far as I can tell, other than that mark.

I guess I just wanted to chime in that this camera has blown my socks off. The first few shots I just took on auto (the interface is confusing without any dials, and the lack of familiar placements is tricky so far) came out pretty great for the low light cat photos that they are. I have nothing to add that you couldn't see in a review, but holy poo poo. Glad I got it. I am hoping that the interface will feel more natural over time.

Glad to hear you're liking it!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 14, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Except for the whole affordable prime debacle that is the NEX system as discussed earlier. Like I said, if Sony had a $400 30mm f/2 NEX pancake, it would be no contest.

Sony's pretty committed to primes though, I read an interview on Sony Alpha Rumors yesterday that there are more in the pipeline.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Personally, I was just about to buy a micro 4/3 camera (loved the idea, but didn't like the implementation so held off for a long time) when the NEX was announced, and happily went with that, even though I kinda hate Sony. I've been really happy with it, but my main reason for getting an EVIL was having a digital platform to shoot old rangefinder (and now Pen) glass on, that does decent in low light. The 2x crop would mean a lot of my lenses wouldn't be terribly useful, and I was never impressed with even the web-size shots I saw of the m4/3 cameras at ISO 1600.

I do agree that the selection of native-mount lenses for the NEX is pretty lamentable (they're working on it, but it'll probably be at least a year or two before they start catching up to m4/3), and I wish to hell Sony would have included in-body stabilization. Still, I'm overall very happy with it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

So I have been thinking about getting a nex 7. Anybody here have one and how do you like it?

They're only just starting to make it into people's hands, as the production delays pushed back the ship dates.

I was (and still am) really interested in getting one as a big fan of my NEX-3, but waiting to see how Fuji's mirrorless interchangeable announcement pans out early next year.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I think the NEX-7 is priced pretty reasonably for the amount of camera you get. I mean, I'd be happy if it was cheaper, but I don't think it's outrageous.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

There are so many things wrong with that.

It's been vaguely hinted at for a while now on SAR. I don't really get how it's supposed to take NEX lenses and Alpha natively given the different register distances, unless it comes bundled with that adapter or something.

I'm certainly interested, but given how far off it likely is, I'd buy a Fuji/NEX-7 and use that for the better part of a year, and then sell it and buy the full-frame offering if it looked compelling/affordable. I think it'd be huge if they were able to keep it under $2000.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

A full frame NEX body will never come out. Each full frame prime lens will start at 500+. Fuji is the only Japanese company that's Boutique enough to start a more expensive premium system. If they are not using a larger sensor format, then nobody else is going to make and sell a system that cost you 2 grand for the body and a kit lens. These xxxrumors websites are full of poo poo. Most of them are just recycling fake rumors from xitek.

I was really hoping for a 1.3X sensor from Fuji but it looks like they are staying with APS.

OK after Fuji there is really two guys that can make a premium FF system. Leica and Zeiss. Let's face it, even if these guys make it I doubt I will be able to afford it. When the Contax G2 system was available, the lens price was very comparable with the manual Zeiss lens prices of today.

Although I think there is certainly a market for FF mirrorless camera. Zeiss need to secure a long term FF sensor contract to make one.

Actually, SAR was pretty accurate about the NEX-7. You're right in that it's not going to be a straight-up NEX camera (SAR says as much), but I think the chances that something like what they're predicting is going to come out are pretty good. Sony isn't in to boutique stuff like Fuji, but they're definitely willing to make pretty radical leaps in design. There's a pretty big pent-up demand for a full-frame mirrorless camera that's not a Leica M9, I could see Sony being the ones to finally come out with one.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

While we're on the subject of Sony lenses, I picked up the 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 lens for my upcoming trip to Hawaii. While the aperture is nothing to write home about, it's tiny, images are sharp, and the in-lens stabilization works really well. Here is a very boring photo of a pigeon which I shot at full extension, handheld, with a shutter speed of 1/80th of a second.

Glad to hear you like it! I'm going to pick one up when I go back to the States in March (save $100 :toot:), will be nice to have some reach.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

More info on fuji x-pro 1:

That's great to hear. With the OVF, I was initially a little worried there might not be a provision for setting it up to work with third party lenses (which would be a pretty crappy oversight on Fuji's part, since mirrorless cameras a pretty popular as alt-glass platforms).

Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka still has yet to get an NEX-7 in, which is kinda frustrating. Not planning to buy one here, but I want to at least try one out :argh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

For those people who own a NEX-3 or NEX-5, I am sure everyone of you have a motherfucking disgusting LCD cover like mine.

I followed the instruction in this page and replaced mine with some fancy Chinese knock off screen protector. This thing is really hard.

(back of the cover)

I just want to let you guys know its very easy to apply. It's much easier than a regular phone screen protector. You see the LCD screen is recess slightly so you can slot the hard cover right on to it.

voila

JYC NEX-3C screen protector $3 bucks on ebay.

I'm glad to know that I'm both not the only one with a beat-to-poo poo NEX LCD cover, and not the only one that was going to go the DIY route on fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Not shift, just tilt. The 28mm f/2.8 is a full frame lens so it should have a larger image circle than APS-C. You wouldn't need full-blown tilt, just enough for the usual tilt effects that are popular now.

Yeah, I use a Nikon 21mm f/2.8 on a homemade adapter for my NEX tiltin' needs. You can hit the corners of the coverage, but only if you're going crazy with the angle.