Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

TomR posted:

PIMM makes me want to sell my 5D2 and get an X100. I mostly use a 50mm lens on it, 35mm would be good too.

I just got my X100 today (and found a 4gb micro sd in an old phone, yay! Waiting on my eye-fi pro) and I'm considering getting rid of my 5d2 too since I don't do any paid work right now.

With my 5d2 I was using a Zeiss 35/2, 50 1.8, and 100L. I love my Zeiss 35/2, but I found myself stuck using the 50 1.8 too many times due to needing AF. The Zeiss 35/2 is going to be sold this week to help pay for my x100.

I'm deeply considering downgrading the 5d2 100L to a 50d 85 1.8/85 1.4 and potentially 45/90 ts-e for product shots and food photography.

e: The only downside is how loving slow it is to write to cards/turn on and be ready to shoot. I went from an Xs to 1d2 to 5d2 and it's definitely the slowest expensive camera I've ever used.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

I would imagine battery life would really depend on how much use you're putting the screen though as well, live view puts a pretty good drain on mine (E: my E-30, I don't have an x100...... yet) if I'm using it for a good number of shots.

Actually the EVF takes less energy than the OVF somehow, so I've heard. I haven't had many chances to use my camera out though, only put about 200 actuations on it so far.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

This has always been my attitude and it puzzles me why more people don't think this way. I have 3 batteries for my 40D and no matter where I travel I always have at least one spare.

It sucks right now because I can't find anywhere to buy batteries :(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Chim posted:

can someone with an x100 comment on the battery life? some reviews says it blows (200 images), some reviews are the exact opposite. what is your experience?
200-250 sounds about right. The worst part is that the battery life indicator is (probably) logarithmic and continues to say full for 95% of the life of the battery. I'm really hoping its fixed in tomorrow's firmware update, because it's annoying.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

If Pentax can somehow magically wring decent low-light performance out of a sensor that small, then I might be interested. Otherwise, what the gently caress?

It's like 1/8th the size of a micro 4/3 sensor, it's too loving small. And 12.4MP to boot, I'm interested to see how it looks at ISO100/200, let alone 1600+.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

That's some bullshit right there especially if you have money in hand. Hopefully you can get it and you'll like it.

My x100 (that came with 1.01 preinstalled) won't update. I think Fuji's transfer program is writing the file with a 1/1/2006 timestamp and the camera thinks it is old. Off to buy a card reader to see if that fixes things.
You don't need the program, just copy the 30 mb file in a freshly formatted card and you're good to go.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

I will be happy if I can just use it as another "set" button. I am going to glue a nub like pimm did.

You can half press the shutter to use as a set button, if it's more convenient (I find it more convenient for some things)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Autofocus speed is similar to a non USM lens. If you're used to a Canon 1D (or Nikon equivalent) body with a very fast very large aperture lens, it will feel a bit slow, and the menu lockout might bother you a little bit, but honestly, it's a very pleasant to use camera.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

I have just shot 450 shots (raw) with the x100 on a single battery and it was almost always on in between those shots, It was still showing the battery full when I got home.
The battery indicator will show full until you have like 5 shots left. Then it will jump from 3 to 1 to dead.

quote:

I am not sure where the "x100 battery runs out in 250-300 shots" myth came from.

I think the battery is slightly better in the 1.1 firmware, but I don't shoot enough to know for sure. If you have the settings activated to make startup faster, it also drains another few dozen shots from a charge.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

I know what I am doing next with my x100:

http://lightingtutorials.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-tether-your-camera-to-ipad.html

I bought another Eye-Fi to try tethering it and ended up returning the Eye-Fi (again) because it's just too slow and didn't do everything I wanted. Maybe the next generation.

I wasn't able to set up jpegs to go to iPad and RAWs to my desktop, it will only allow one destination to be set. Either you're paying $60-100 for the X2 Pro to not have pull out the SD card constantly to send pictures to your computer in order to be edited (and waiting loving forever for the transfers to initialize and go through) or you're paying $60-100 to send small jpegs through to your iPad.

Sometimes the ad-hoc network that it creates takes a long time to initialize and be seen by the iPad and it just down right doesn't connect to it automatically.

e: It was my third time trying it, first time trying the Pro version. I've tested them in 5d2, 1d2, and x100.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I can fit it in my pockets, but it's very constricted while sitting, and it looks very bulgy (especially the lens). Coat pocket is much better but probably not all that useful in summer.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

krackmonkey posted:

Care to elaborate? Compared to what previous camera/s? Love about it? Dislikes?

If there was one thing you felt most important to communicate to someone considering this purchase, what would it be?

Disregard if my questions are annoying :) Cheers!

I love my x100, even though I kind of miss telephotos sometimes. I am generally more interested in environmental portraits of my trips and family shenanigans than portraits of friends/family with a destroyed background. My main walk around used to be a Zeiss 35/2(or 50 1.8 if I needed autofocus) and 5d2, if that gives you any idea of how much I like my X100. It doesn't have quite the sharpness/microcontrast/gaussian blur that the 35ZE had, but it can auto focus and its so light/tiny compared to the old kit.

Before you buy one, make sure you enjoy the 35mm FOV and can make due with it as your only choice to frame shots.

e: A GF2/3 + 20 1.7 or Pen + Leica sounds like a fantastic compromise if you only have one camera, or have a broad range of photographic needs.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 13, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I actually like having an EVF, being able to zoom in and preview DOF in real time is fantastic. I find myself using EVF on my x100 like 1/3 of the time, especially in a difficult lighting situation because it's easier to see the exposure.

That being said, the OVF on the x100 absolutely owns the EVF, but still.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hey PIMM, get ready to deal with it :smugdog:

NEX-7 to have X100-style viewfinder

quote:

As you see the NEX-7 has a rangefinder style a là Fuji X100 (Click here to see that camera)! As you know the NEX-7 will feature the same A77 24 Megapixel sensor and a 3 million dot OLED EVF (it is not a hybrid viewfinder!).

A 3 million dot OLED EVF would catch my interest. I find myself using EVF almost as much as the OVF because I like to see exposure/live histogram/DOF (with x100 the DOF isn't that useful, it's pretty easy to get everything you want in focus) but I could definitely see myself picking this up as my next ILC.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Leaf shutter owns, overpower the sun with built in flash on the x100, it's ridiculous.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mattfl posted:

Seems they hold their value really well and if it's not for me I can easily unload it.

I wouldn't count on this for much longer. They're doing really well now because they aren't in stock anywhere, but once they are, I expect used ones to sell for 1000~ shortly after. Once the x200 comes in, the first generation will probably fall to 800ish.

Not bad, but bodies depreciate rather quickly compared to just lenses.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

AceClown posted:

It's really odd, I can see the phone cameras killing off the lower end P&S cameras that your average 18-30 has to take on a night out with pals, but the price point of the EVILs put them up there with most entry level dSLR's.

So who are they aimed at? That's what I can't work out.

Neither can they, their current approach seems to be price it high because gently caress you, that's why.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You guys seriously don't see the appeal of an EVIL? I basically haven't touched my 5D for digital since I got my NEX-3; it delivers really similar image quality in a much smaller and more portable package.

I loving adore EVILs. I hate this half assed garbage they're putting out (pentax Q, new Nikon, probably Canons offering too). Do it like the NEX, nice features and APS-C(or MFT) or bust. I don't like that they're trying to squeeze in another sensor size between point & shoots and MFT, it feels like they're purposefully holding back EVIL to try to squeeze more time before point&shoots are obsoleted by phones.

I understand that not everybody has the same needs/wants as me, but those are my rantings.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Beastruction posted:

So it's bigger, has a smaller sensor, and costs more.
My thoughts exactly, but then there are sites like this that say the Nikon one is better than the Nex5n (which is a beast)

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/42175/nikon-v1-vs-sony-nex-5n

I disagree with them.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mannequin posted:

but people today and people in 2-3 years will still want actual cameras, and they will buy them.

Maybe, probably, but if you go to any events or concerts you're pretty likely to see (I'd estimate 70%) of the people in the 15-25 age group taking photos are using their cell phones. Most people don't like carrying around specialized devices, connecting things to their computers, or expensive extra accessories.

Probably less than 5 years before you see them as often as bridge cameras.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
If you go to any events and see people taking photographs (I guess 12-30 year olds mostly) I'd say that the odds are that almost all of them are using a cell phone rather than a point & shoot.

Paragon8 posted:

I'd disagree with you in regards to how cameras work today - overwhelmingly cameras are just a third party into getting pictures on Facebook. It's almost terrifying to see a visual representation of how dominant Facebook is with regards to images on the internet. Everyone is signing up to Facebook. Only the much much older generation are really avoiding Facebook entirely - and nobody cares about their camera habits anymore.

This image really puts it into perspective:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Watch the Fuji guys videos to learn all the things you will read / wont read in the manual:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fuji+guys+x100&aq=f

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The x100 is amazing but the focus issues really bother me sometimes. I can avoid parallax errors but my girlfriend misses focus a lot with it, as do most waiters we give the camera to and ask for a picture to be taken.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That zeiss must've been a pretty weak copy, mine seriously rivaled my 100L wide open (it just suffered from bad CA and vignetting).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't browse any x100 dedicated forums any more, but for you guys who have one and have been waiting for a good wide angle solution:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068972

That's the first one of these I've seen that surprised me with how well it's worked.

Sorry if it's old news to anybody.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I was just reflecting on my recent shooting experience with an EVF-less camera and I got to thinking that since I started doing that, I've been shooting at a greater variety of angles than I used to because the camera isn't pinned to my head anymore. Is anyone else finding the same thing?

I find whenever I try to compose without a view finder (optical or electronic) I always end up taking photos at crazy rear end angles. Rather than getting down to level with something, it will be a crazy 45 angle that looks awesome on the screen, and when I bring it to a computer, I'm like "what the gently caress is this". I'm also like 10-20 degrees off level with the horizon rather than 1-4 whenever I use the viewfinder.

So yeah I use a greater variety of angles, but I find myself hating my shots more than usual.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cacator posted:

Those prices were in euros... so who knows.

Often times the prices are the same in USD and euro, but with the USD getting weaker and weaker, it's not certain that it'll be the same this time (Still pretty likely though).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I really don't care about the resolution of the EVF. Does any one know if you can one-button zoom in with the EVF. That's crucial for MF.

You can do it with the X100, so should be able to with the Pro.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Thanks, threw in a preorder, can always cancel at a later time. If it actually ships for 1079GBP I am all over it.

$1400 for the kit is a price point where I might dig in once some hands on reviews mention how the AF deals. I saw mentioned somewhere that it was "comparable to the x100" but there was no source.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It appears the whole internet "knows" how horrible the AF on the X100 is, yet the actual owners seem to have little trouble with it.

I have one, and most of the time don't have trouble with it because I know how to avoid the problems. Occasionally though, even when I use the EVF and am fairly sure it's dead on, it missed the focus (when I focus on something fairly close). Add in the fact that it's my travel camera which means my gf, her sister, waiters at restaurants, and anybody else I ask to take shots of me are supposed to just be able to point and shoot, and I end up missing some meaningful shots.

It also hunts like a mother fucker in low light.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I was just thinking randomly about lenses when I thought that no one has made a mirrorless tilt lens. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for Sony to take something like an Alpha mount 28mm f/2.8 and build a tilt NEX mount on it? I mean I know you can do it easily with manual lenses and adapters, but what about something official?

I think it's "difficult" because NEX cameras use APS-C sensors, so you need a medium format lens to cover the sensor when you tilt. When you end up getting an adapter + lens, it's usually 1/2-3/4 of the way to an actual tilt-shift.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

Welp... :smith:

http://www.prophotocoalition.com/index.php/dcarr/story/hands_on_impressions_of_the_fuji_x-pro_1

I can't loving believe fuji made the same mistake twice.

Could be worse, fly by wire makes autofocus pretty fast usually, I think..

quote:

I experimented with the speed of the AF system as best I could in the booth and it seems to be considerably improved upon the X100’s which was or still is the worst of any camera I’ve ever owned. Despite the obvious improvements though it still falls way shot of the AF speed and accuracy achieved by Sony in the NEX-7 and Panasonic with the GX1.

At least it seems to be better than the x100.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It's safer to assume UPS train derailment, as those happen moderately frequently.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

I was having a lot of fun with my Olympus XZ-1 for the last 6 months until it was stolen whilst I was in Rio. Lost all my pictures too, that's a lesson in taking lots of smaller memory cards with you. At least I avoided a knife in between the ribs.

Turns out when I get home, my grandpa has a camera he bought recently, but doesn't use much. Something about 'It doesn't have any zoom at all, he likes zoom'. Apparently I can have it if it's any use to me?

So a free X100 coming my way! Only thing is I don't really know much about photography, starting to learn about A and S modes through websites and youtube but really just dancing on the fringes. Can I learn these things with an X100 or am I just making life really hard for myself?

You absolutely can.

It has an aperture priority mode, shutter priority, full manual, full auto.

When my gf uses it, I turn it to aperture priority with full auto ISO so that shutter remains above 1/50 or something.

(Note: If you're outside and notice that things are way too bright, you have it set to f/2.0 and the shutter can't go fast enough to properly expose. Change to 2.8, 4, 5.6 whatever else.)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
They loving love fashion and awesome designs such as this marvelous wonder:

Can't blame them for releasing something so gaudy.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

Why would the lens have any bearing on noise?

It does look like the 5n resolved less detail, maybe he meant that it's due to the cheap lens, but the actual noise looks similar.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That looks pretty cool, any idea how the EVF compares to that snazzy sony OLED EVF? Wish they had some awesome pancakes coming out on release.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Finally found an NEX7 in a shop here. I think I'm sold on it over the Fuji.

Over fuji x100 or xpro1? I just got a nex5n and it appears to own but god drat is it stupid that the xpro is coming out with 3 awesome primes and the Nex still has almost no good native lenses.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
On a side note, the Fuji x100 got a firmware update this week, and it appears that they fixed AF speed quite substantially (it's not in the patch notes).

Looks like they may have replaced the focus algorithm with the xpro1 secretly, and it's a lot better. MF still sucks, but AF can lock in low light pretty drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Is this upgraded from the already-upgraded speed of the previous patch, or from an unpatched at all x100?

I was using 1.11, now I'm on 1.13. Just checked out the x100 forum and it seems I'm not the only one who notices it being way better. Almost everybody noticed an improvement. It's pretty much a launch camera, maybe a month after release.