Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm open to other suggestions in terms of preventing it from getting hosed up during international travel? The 35mm is also not weather sealed, unlike the body.

Take the lens off, make sure the caps are on the body and lens, pack it in the suitcase squished in with soft stuff like shirts or socks. And take the battery out too, that’s a pretty common requirement for international travel too. Or invest in a decent camera bag and take that carry-on.

You don’t need a cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

rio posted:

Interesting - I wouldn’t have guessed it did so well in Japan considering the strong competition and arguably better cameras/lens options from the other big brands.

If Canon have the lead in mirrorless units sold it’s because the sales of the Rebel/Kiss DSLRs have gone straight down. The new mirrorless are the replacements for entry-level DSLRs, I know I’ve seen a ton of M50s since their launch earlier this year.

I bought an M3 and the pancake lens and carry that everyday because I wanted to have something with a back dial but much smaller than my 60D. That I can get an adapter and bolt my EF lenses on has been a nice positive as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Legitimate question and I'm not trying to punch down at somebody looking to get into the hobby: Why do you need 20+ MP and 4K video? (How many people really need 4K video in TYOOL 2018...?)

Is it to future-proof? Is it because that's the current-level specs? Or is it for specific reasons of what you want to shoot and (possibly) how you want to print/share your work?

There are plenty of good options that can do both in both APS-C and Micro 4/3, but if those aren't requirements but targets, then that opens up a few more older bodies to allow your budget to get multiple lenses, or better quality lenses to start. And having more options of viewing angles to shoot with (from multiple lenses) or higher quality glass (from better lenses) will make a much bigger impact on your enjoyment and experience than a couple megapickels and 1080p vs. 4K. Bodies come and go, but glass is the more important factor, and still the more expensive part of the equation. If you dip your toe in with cheaper body but decent glass, if you decide you don't like it -- easier to get out. If you decide you do like it -- easier to upgrade the body and find the features you really need.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Well I've got a 4k telly so you know, may as well use it. Also any "How many people really need X" argument is a bit crap when it comes to camera equipment, no? You could say that about anything.

Yeah fine but also it seems to be the case that 4/3 sensors go up to about 20MP and APS-C ones are higher so it's a bit of a side-effect. Also yeah nice to be able to crop shots and get nice high-res grabs from vids.

Trying to help and educate on what to look for. Sure, we've got computers and TVs to watch videos or see photos on, but those are hypotheticals -- "wouldn't it be nice if?" -- but unless you've been doing that for years it's just a dream. And you're talking about investing in something that, ideally, shouldn't just sit on your shelf. If it's pro/semi-pro, then of course you would want to insist on the best/newest. The reality is, almost all of the cameras coming out now are like all of the new cars on the road -- there really aren't "bad" ones anymore; there's various flavors of good, and suitability based on use cases. Plus, you're coming up from a bridge camera from 2004, almost everything will be a step up. But more so than the megapixel count or video specifications -- put it simply, most all of the new cameras will do what you want more than adequately -- the bigger questions are finding a system and route for growth.

Also, try to go to a shop and pick up and handle some of the cameras you're interested in with your own hands. The Internet and reviews can tell you a lot, but you just might wind up not liking the one that Everybody Loves This Year. The grip and feel and controls are more than half the battle.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Canon, as it seems like their budget mirrorless EOS-M will be the replacement for the bottom end of the DSLR lineup soon enough. Sony has a much more robust lineup, and Fujifilm's X cameras would be a good recommendation as well if you really want to get into the art and creativity behind taking photos (and also if you don't want to futz around with RAW conversions).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

cheese posted:

Its actually kind of tragic as the cameras themselves in the EOS-M line are fine. The 50M is honestly a really solid camera: good viewfinder, nice flip out selfie style screen, pleasant combination of good grip and small body, etc. Canon's decision to moth ball the EOS-M line is a real shame.

I don’t think they’re mothballing it, the M50 if anything has been such a success they are hopefully seeing it’s worthwhile to invest. And along with the EOS R they also announced a 32mm 1.4 prime lens which looks like it could be good as well. But the difference versus buying one of the lower-end EOS DSLRs is there isn’t any growth room for lenses, besides “adapt the EF lenses.” Which is okay for some - I have a couple decent EF lenses and they work shockingly well on my M3 - but not for new users coming in without gear.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tino posted:

Does anyone find it weird that all 10+ full frame mirrorless bodies on the market use the same SLR design but there is a medium format mirrorless body use the rangefinder style design?

In fairness, that’s the partner model to one they’ve already made shaped like an SLR.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KennyG posted:

In evaluating switching/not-switching camera systems how much do you look at the lens options (both existing and 'roadmap') versus the body itself?

Obviously the bodies depreciate at a much faster rate than the glass and a great 24-70 could last many, many body lifetimes. I guess I'm trying to compare the potential of the RF mount versus the maturity of the A7 III over the EOS R. I probably buy a new body about every 5-8 years so it's hard for me to get excited about having a less than amazing body at this price point for the next 5+ years but I am super optimistic about the potential and early showings of the RF mount. Am I crazy to consider suffering through the ergonomic science experiment of the R for access to the RF mount? Should I just ignore my internal biases and jump ship to the more mature FE/A7 combo?

I'm disinterested in Video and don't shoot weddings so the crop and card slots aren't issues for me. I'm going on a long trip to NZ and want to upgrade so I have it for the trip but I can't tell which I would consider the 'best' move. Absent the travel, waiting for the next RF mount camera would be my first inclination, but the timing just doesn't work for me. The side benefit is that i do have some Canon lenses but I guess they could just as easily adapt to a Sony but at a higher cost. Also renting/buying EF glass is anywhere from 20-50% cheaper from what I've seen online.

What do you currently have? If you currently have EF/EF-S Canon bodies then the R is going to feel much more “like home” because it’s Canon engineers designing a new Canon body. And if you have lenses that are worth it, the adapters should be out at launch as well. It sounds like they’re taking this more seriously than the EF-M series, so hopefully the RF line will grow.

From what I’ve read it sounds like the R is similar to the 6Dii in terms of capability, and if that in a smaller package makes sense, then it would be worth looking into.

But you’re the only one who knows what you like, so seconding to go and try to handle both in a store if possible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

That's hilarious. Leicas are a massive status symbol here for wealthy SE Asians who don't give a poo poo about taking photos with it. I regularly see dudes walking about (and it's always dudes) with a Leica slung over their shoulder purely as a fashion accessory. In at least two separate cases I've seen so far, the camera didn't even have a lens attached, just the body cap.

:psyboom:

JFC

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tino posted:

Are you guys planning to move out of flickr? The price has done up. It's not that expensive but I would like to keep my options open.

I’ve used Flickr since I got my first DSLR ten years ago, I had pro for a while before most of the “pro” aspects (namely storage) were moved to the free tier. I’ve just re-upped on Pro - got it on the discount, means I can keep my existing backup there in place. I guess you could look at it as ransom in a way, but I’m happy to pay for that kind of backup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

I just use Flickr as a cloud photo repository. They make it easy to upload and organize, plus share links to albums and photos with friends and family. I guess I could use OneDrive or Google Photos (I used to use Panorama back in the day), and maybe I should? I'm not interested in any of the social media side of Flickr. But then there's the whole having to reupload everything from local copies scattered across the hard drives of multiple devices, so unless they start making it actively difficult to use for non-paid users, I'll just stick with it.

The limit of only your most recent ~1,000 photos for non-paid users was what did it for me.

And yeah. Instagram is for sharing random nonsense off of my phone with family and friends (private account and curated follows/followers), Flickr is for backing up the bigger batches of photos off of the DSLR or MILC. I'm still thinking of creating a personal site/folio once again to share photos instead of Instagram.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

How much would I regret getting a Fuji X-T20 right now? Are we close to an X-T30 debut?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

rio posted:

Depends on how much having the previous generation bothers you. Not only that but the used prices will tank for the the 20 once the 30 is announced. I seem to remember it being about 5 months between the 2 and 20 but I could be wrong since it’s been a while.

I don't think having the older gen would bother me much (depends on what the potential X-T30 includes) but would rather not pay 20% or more over to buy that now when even the new-stock prices will go down once the successor model comes out. Checked recently and X-T20 bodies with some flaws are starting for ~55,000 yen here in Japan, new for about 76,000.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Atlatl posted:

I would just get it, I've been extremely happy with it and don't feel the need to upgrade until the X-H2 comes out. Prices should be rock bottom as well.

Yeah, and it’s Japan, where variety is wide but prices are always higher than elsewhere. I don’t think prices would drop until the X-T30 really hits the market in any kind of volume. I’m just tired of being that guy with the Canon M.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just got a very good deal on the Fuji X-T20 and 18-55 lens, so the X-T30 will probably be announced on Tuesday at this rate.

Don’t care, just want to start picking up the Fuji lenses what have all the magic.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bobfather posted:

While I’m certain the X-T30 will be a great camera, my 20 has served me incredibly well. Just enjoy it. New cameras don’t make old, good cameras obsolete.

absolutely -- that was part of my thought process. I've enjoyed having a smaller mirrorless this year, and having one that's even more capable is great. I just need to learn how to take advantage and use the camera (I'm far too versed in Canon menus), and save up again for lenses.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

rio posted:

Get an og 5D and spend the large amount of money you save not getting a new camera on more glass :getin:

This but a 5D mk II so you have something usable above ISO 3200.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jeez, mirorrless cameras are like London buses, you wait around for a bit then all of a sudden you’ve got announcements of the Fujifilm X-T30 and the Canon EOS RP coming around the bend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tino posted:

16mm 1.4
14mm 2.8

They are all good.

Just skip the 18mm pancake.

Is it that bad or just exceedingly average?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tino posted:

18mm? It's worse than your kit lens.

Yiiiiikes. Got it. Seems like the 27 is better anyways.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Insanite posted:

Just took the mirrorless plunge after selling my old Nikon DSLR. Grabbed a Fuji X-T20 and one of its kit lenses on eBay, and am hoping to have some fun with them by next week. Dog pics, street, neighborhood--typical, boring stuff.

Anyone have any tips or caveats for that model and make, or mirrorless in general? I've only ever shot SLRs and prosumer DSLRs.

Mirrorless itself just allows the same feel in a smaller overall package. It’ll feel similar — looking through a viewfinder and setting up photos — but different as well. I just got the same model as well, and I’m very happy with how it operates and the results I’m getting. It’s still an excellent camera, and I’m eager to get more into the Fuji glass ecosystem as well.

The big difference is how manually you control everything. Instead of the PASM dial, your input on the actual dials makes the difference; the only thing missing from the X-Pros and XT1/2/3 is the ISO dial, but I have that set as a shortcut from one of the D-pad buttons (the back wheel is a good idea too but I like using it to fine-tune shutter speed).

Related Fuji question: 35 1.4 or 35 2 WR?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dms666 posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm trying to get into photography above the point and shoot level. I think mirrorless is the way I'm going to go since I primarily want something lighter than a DSLR to take hiking with me.

Mirrorless options are definitely generally lighter than even the smallest DSLRs and have gotten good enough to compete. So you’ve got the right idea.

16-50 (or 17-50 or 18-55) is a pretty average walkabout zoom length for any or the brands. 16/17/18 is wide enough for big landscapes or indoors stuff; 55 is long enough to use as an everyday lens.

My recommendation is to look at a newer Sony or the Fuji X-T20, and to get that equivalent of a kit lens. The important thing is to learn what you want to do for yourself — get the camera, take a couple thousand photos, and realize what you’re missing from your kit. Note: If you really want to get into wildlife and get a longer lens, those are generally bigger and heavier, so weigh that up in the future.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bobfather posted:

It’s an X-T2 with image stabilization, which I suppose most people didn’t need or at least didn’t believe was worth the extra expense, versus the cheaper, newer X-T3. Now they have a ton of unsold units that are on fire sale!

Also a bigger beefier body, so promise of being a “pro” body above the XT2, but coming out about 6 months before the XT3. Bad timing, but still a good camera and very capable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

as appears to be Fujifilm's way, the eventual XH2 with the XT3 guts inside plus IBIS is gonna be pretty rad as a "pro APSC" body.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

I’m invested in the Fuji system to the tune of five lenses and an X-H1 (plus grip). How dumb would it be to also get an X-Pro2? Asking, because I can get a new one for £800, which is less than even most eBay used deals.

That sounds like an incredible deal, and if you like the body and form factor, sounds like an excellent price for a second body.

(how do you like the X-H1 too?)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

They have a display model for even less (£600) but I'm not even touching that with somebody else's monopod.

:stare:

Hello Spaceman posted:

X-H1 is great. With a grip and extra batteries it's super fast and the IBIS has given me handheld shots I really should not have been able to get. It's hefty and handles like a gripped SLR, without ALL that bulk. But it's also not quite what you want in a travel camera.

Awesome. If in the future I decide I want to stick with Fuji gear and get rid of my Canon EF stuff, I may look at the X-H1/inevitable X-H2 to be the “going out to shoot sports/motor sports” body, and keep getting light bodies for everyday use. And that will only get more tempting as prices drop.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

I see the X-T30 has a View Mode button, just like the X-H1. This lets you cycle through the following modes:
EVF only, with eye sensor activation
EVF only, always on
LCD, with EVF eye sensor activation
LCD only (EVF and eye sensor disabled)

I know it’s not automatic, but should address what you’re describing. I find that I don’t mind manually switching view modes.

Looks like the X-T30 has the following setting:

-LCD / EVF depending on eye sensor
-EVF only
-LCD only
-EVF only (sensor activated)
-EVF for shooting, LCD for checking images only

Fujifilm remains a bit wacky with their settings.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I had the Canon EOS M3 for a year, got rid of it in exchange for a Fuji X-T20. The Canon Ms are...fine, but there’s little room for growth there (unless you want to adapt the EF lenses, which, what’s the point unless you have them already).

I’d honestly go with the X-T20 setup you were sizing up. I have the 18-55 and it’s amazing, if the 55-200 is similar quality then it should be very good for a non-professional. Lack of weatherproofing means...just make sure you keep it dry and away from humidity? The 27 pancake is good too, makes for a very good “toss it in the backpack and have a camera” option.

For what you listed as real reasons — growth, and better images than from a smartphone — I think you’ll get a lot from the Fujifilm world.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’d say more than half the reason I bought the X-T20 kit when I did earlier this year was because I calculated how much the 18-55 was on its own and figured “not a bad price to get that plus the body,” and I couldn’t be happier with that lens either. Fuji glass is so drat good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bobfather posted:

Switching to a mirrorless system with a WYSIWYG viewfinder and great color out of camera (i.e., Fuji) has revolutionized my workflow.

Combine that superior output with restraint of the number of photos you take of any given subject, and you may find yourself not needing to process RAWs ever again.

yeah was going to be flippant and say "just shoot Fuji JPEGs and limit processing to cropping :v:" because that's essentially all I do anymore. I've never had much of a stomach for photo editing/processing, I'd rather bracket to hell and back and burn SD card space than play with it all on the computer later. The fun is in the photography, not the image editing.

I still might invest in an alternative to PhotoShop just to have on hand (and because I've tried GIMP and it doesn't do enough for me) and for basic work.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Any opinions on the Fuji 27/2.8? I like the 'true normal' FoV. I kind of assume the sharpness is probably pretty good from wide open, but what about AF performance, especially C-AF and tracking?

I got it not long after picking up the X-T20, I’m happy with the image quality but rarely have to throw it wide open so hard to compare. I also like that it’s so small, and it doesn’t bother me too much that you use the front wheel for aperture instead of control on the lens.

I haven’t used that lens with C-AF, but can give it a shot. I honestly haven’t used C-AF much on the Fuji at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

qirex posted:

That site is hilariously fastidious about posting every possible thing they can to keep the number of articles up so yeah, if a lens goes on sale anyone in the world you can find a post about it there.

I swear that site is run by an autistic guy, it is so drat over the top.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

All of those Xbrandrumor sites are like this. The Fuji guy is the class leader though.

The only other one I’ve read much on was Canon Rumors, and that is much more like a tech blog in its tone and approach. With Fujirumors you can practically see the cork board and strings behind it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Why are Fuji mirrorless' not used as much as Sony's for professional jobs? I seem to only see landscape photographers with an XT-().

Crop vs full frame is basically it. Though after getting mine and reading up, I was really heartened to see articles by professionals shooting sports using Fuji gear (I’ve seen some using the 50-140, 100-400 and of course the 200).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

In news that doesn't seem to excite anyone fuji just announced an x-a7... but I actually kind of like it?

I much prefer shooting from a fully articulating screen than a viewfinder and would trade an evf for a higher resolution, brighter rear screen. Models without an evf are limited, usually arbitrarily, in other ways though. But the x-a7 has two dials, a joystick, and a supposedly improved af system. On paper it has a lot of features I would like, if the software isn't gimped in some way.

it's also only ("only") $700 with the kit lens. I have a friend who's looking into getting a starter camera so I'm thinking of recommending one of these really easily.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

Goddamn do I love that I can charge the EM1x via USB-C, that is a loving awesome touch.

I know it’s not USB-C but using even the older USB to charge the X-T20 on vacation by just carrying an extra cable is awesome.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Anybody else with a Fuji having problems with the Camera Connect app on iOS 13? I wasn’t able to get it connected yesterday and the only thing that changed versus when it worked was updating to 13.1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Get the XT-2 and 18-55 unless you absolutely need a smaller body, in which case get the XT-20. If you’re jumping in as an amateur, spend more on the lenses than body.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They're specifically driving people to a certain kind of use-case, and keeping people from chimping. Want to do that with Fuji? The X-T3 and X-H1 are right there. The Pro line has to differentiate somehow. It's smart to me, but then again I enjoy Fuji's whole take your time like it's the film days thing.

It'll probably get panned in reviews, not sell as well as it should, get a discount, and "re-discovered" in three years as a "fantastic focused photography experience."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sneeze Party posted:

The Fuji XT-3 has really great face/eye detection. It's not quite as fast as Sony's, but it's still quite good.

Yep. But it’s definitely something of a pro body. The X-T30 will do most of that (and still be smaller) with the same sensor, and the X-T20 will get close while still providing good shots for cheaper.

For our gentle goon looking to get a camera, I’d start with the X-T20 cheap plus the 18-55 2.8-4 and a prime of your choice — the pancake 27 is surprisingly good and makes for a tiny package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

So last fall I posted about wanting to upgrade from my Fuji XT20 with 18-55mm kit lens to something better. Then I didn't actually upgrade and kept shooting with the XT20. Now I'm thinking it really is time to upgrade. I want better autofocus and high-speed performance, the pictures I most care about being action shots of LARP nerds fighting (basically sports photography). I don't want to deal with post-processing, I plan to shoot jpgs only and do nothing to them other than trimming. I'm thinking either the Fuji XH1, which is currently being offered at a bargain price with the battery grip and the 16-55mm lens, or the Sony A7iii with the 24-70mm G-Master lens. I can afford the Sony and would gladly pay the extra money if it results in commensurately better pictures, since ~~~full frame~~~ and all that, but since it is a significant price difference, if I'm only going to see a 10% improvement in image quality or something, I'd probably go with the cheaper option. Opinions, please?

Are you unhappy with the lenses or (for lack of a better term) ecosystem surrounding Fuji? That would be the reason to change away. It sounds like you want the workflow (JPEG oriented) that Fuji has, so seems like upgrading to a X-H1 or X-T2/X-T3 might be a better idea.

Also look into a telephoto lens too.