Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
I returned my Samsung NX10 today and pre-ordered an X100 instead of my other choice which was getting an NEX-5 (they didn't have the kit with the 16mm lens in stock).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Speaking of NEX, the LA-EA2 alpha->nex adapter sounds like a cool but expensive option to turn your NEX into a DSLR-equivalent entity with phase-detect autofocus and a big selection of lenses. Is it worth it, compared to just getting an A77 or other alpha-mount Sony SLT? The way I see it, NEX+adapter costs more, but can be made small (and use small rangefinder lenses) when you want to, as opposed to an SLT which is big always.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Welp, I got an OM-D yesterday and so begins my journey into Micro 4/3rds land. I had to read many reviews to convince me that the "downgrade" from my APS-sized NEX sensor isn't that big a deal, especially combined with all the nice juicy features the OM-D offers (the image stabilization is awesome!).

With the 12-50 kit lens, the OM-D is kinda heavy for a mirrorless. The 20mm 1.7 pancake lens should fix that. I hope I can sell the kit lens for a reasonable price on craigslist or whatever.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Is the IBIS on the a6500 and full-frame Sonys any good/useful in an absolute sense? m4/3 bodies seem to have superior stabilization and I don't know if that's just an artifact of having a smaller sensor to stabilize, or whether Sony just sucks at IBIS and may improve later. Being able to take handheld shots at like 1/3-1/10 of a second negates a lot of light-gathering disadvantages of m4/3 for most things that are not action shots.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
I had a scare with my new (used) A7 iii. I was showing off the big sensor at thanksgiving dinner and a tiny splash of soup got on it. Before it had a chance to dry, I used a tiny piece of paper towel to dab it off, and later went over it with microfibre and 99% isopropyl. There were a few spots left, so I had to get a proper cleaning solution & kit. In the end, all dust spots were cleaned off and there doesn't seem to be any damage done. Phew.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
I was a total retard. Just wanted to share my brief misery. Good news is that my Sony Zeiss 55mm arrived today. Keeping this one well away from soup.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

Verman posted:

What kind of soup are we talking here? Matzo Ball? Chicken Noodle? or something like a chowder/bisque?

Portuguese Bacalhao. It was one of those tiny aerosolized droplets from a spoon splash like 50cm away. I was relying on the existence of the protective glass for all these shenanigans. CMOS circuitry can't be directly exposed to air, nevermind soup.

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

windex posted:

but awful in others (color reproduction)

If one shoots raw, what affects color reproduction, aside from the lenses? Does the filter array in front of the sensor make that big a difference?

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
No love for the 20mm f/1.7 for m43? Sure the autofocus is slow and noisy (on an oly body anyway) but it's just so drat compact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice

Rime posted:

I'm still rocking my OG EM5, it continues to deliver. It's a fantastic piece of hardware.

That being said I'm kind of tempted to jump ship to an A3r this summer, since Olympus seems to have decided to let the EM5 line die and pursue some dumb niche market with the M1 Exxxxtreme, and I'd kind of like to jump from 16mp to 40. :getin:

I kept my E-M5 even after getting an A7III because of the increased portability (the IBIS is better too).
Did you keep your kit lens? I have no sense of how it compares against other zooms (I mean, it's probably worse, but HOW much worse?). I'm considering replacing it with another catch-all zoom to complement the 20mm 1.7