Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I need a little help picking my next body. I am looking to upgrade to full frame, so I'm deciding between the a7ii and the a7r. I still like my Sony dslt, and I plan to just leave the beer can on that camera and have a wide zoom on the full frame camera.

I mostly shoot landscapes. Either camera seems like it would be fine, do I have a substantial reason to choose one over the other?

Once I have the camera, I was looking at getting the Zeiss 24-70, since I like that focal range. Is there a different e-mount lens that would be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I'm the only person in the world who likes the A65, so I was looking at the Sony A7ii or A7R as my next camera, but when I posted in here, my question sank without a ripple. I'm willing to go Fuji instead, which seems to be the goon consensus as the way to go.

Can you goons help me with a good candidate for a Fuji body and lens?

I'm looking for an upgrade to hold me over until I can afford a 645z or equivalent in a few years. I like my A65 body, especially with the beercan, but right now getting a wide lens upgrade for it seems like a waste of money since Sony doesn't give a poo poo about the A-mount. I can't even get my camera repaired anymore, if I break it (again) my local shop won't touch it.

I shoot mostly landscapes with occasional portraits, and often in black in white, for which Acros simulation looks good. Weather sealing would be a plus, and I prefer manual focus for the most part (the focus lever on the X-pro 2 looks neat). I don't necessarily need to start with the kit lens, but I am willing to - which wide lenses have higher image quality than the kit? I plan to keep my 70-200 beercan on my A65 permanently once I have a mirrorless camera, so I don't need anything in that range to start with. I usually do 12"x18" prints at the largest.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Popelmon posted:

There is the brand new a99 II which seems to be really, really good if you want to stay with the A-mount.

I did look at the a99ii while breathing heavily, but if I'm going to spend more than 2k on a body, I'd rather do that when I get the 645z. Most of the mirrorless bodies I looked at were at a more comfortable price. Ideally I'm looking at less than 2k for the body and first lens.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Saros posted:

As for lenses get the XF 18-55 F2.8-4 its a wayyyyy better lens than the XC 16-50.

For a basic rundown on Fuji cameras.
Xpro/E1: old do not get as they were before the kinks had really been ironed out of the series.
A/M models are consumer grade cheap cameras, agenerally avoid.
E2/E2s/E3: Rangefinder style semi-pro cameras, a nice mddle ground.
T10/T20: Compact semi-pro camera's generally a very good choice.
T1/T2/Pro2: Top of the line Professional kit with all the bells and whistles.
This would be really useful in the OP for relative newcomers like me who are thinking about switching. It's more informative than most of the long articles online about Fuji bodies.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I ordered an X-T2 with the 18-55. Now I just have to wait.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Rokinon 85mm for X mount is $269, manual focus but has a great build quality and the optics are quite good. I can shoot some with the X-T1 im returning to due a scratched sensor (thanks random ebay guy for that). Let me know

Piggybacking off this, isn't there a well regarded wide prime from Rokinon also for X mount? I'm looking for my next lens for landscapes to upgrade from the good kit lens on my X-T2.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Google Butt posted:

Everyone has a Fuji boner here

I was a Sony user before this thread got me to try an X-T2. I still have my Sony equipment, but I use my X-T2 90% of the time.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Animal posted:

There is a rumor that the Fuji GFX 50R is gonna cost $3,600.

That is a very tempting price point for cutting edge digital medium format.

I hope it doesn't because I won't be able to stop myself from buying one.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Goons, I need some advice. I have a Fuji X-T2 with the good kit lens and a Rokinon portrait lens. I'd really like to add a wider prime lens to walk around and shoot with.

-I often shoot with the kit lens at around 23mm, but I would be willing to go wider or narrower depending on quality.
-Manual focus only is fine if needed, although the Fuji autofocus is tempting.
-f/2 would be sufficient, I think, since I rarely shoot wide-open and usually shoot stopped down to f/5.6 at least.
-I shoot landscapes and city scenes mostly, but I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I'd feel better with some weather resistance. If any model will stand up just fine to light rain and/or ocean spray, please let me know that.

Is there a consensus on good models in that range? Budget would cap at around $800-$900.I see several options in that ballpark. There's a Rokinon 21mm and a 24mm, and several Fujis including two at 23mm. I don't know which are good, which are meh, and which are great. Currently, the Fujinon XF23mmF2 R WR looks good to me because it looks pretty compact and meets my other desires.

Please help me spend my money, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

rufius posted:

Re: Fuji zoom chat. Anyone used the Fuji 50-140. That’s like my prime range for what I use.

Thoughts? Opinions? I shoot lower light a lot so that constant F2.8 is very attractive.

I’ve never owned a zoom for my fujis - I usually just walk around with a 35 and a 90 in a little bag.

I'm an amateur, but my 50-140 stays on my camera as my default lens unless I need to reach for a wide-angle lens or a macro.

But really the answer probably is:

Grand Fromage posted:

Just keep buying lenses until you have to wheel a cart of them around with you.