Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Any Olympus PEN users out there? I need a second opinion on the usefulness of the VF-2. I haven't seen too many consumer reviews going over its cons. It's almost $300 (give or take tax), so I don't know if its worth dropping that sort of cash on a viewfinder.

:3: Also: Mini Olympus PEN cameras!

EDIT: Spelling.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I don't think this has been posted yet, but here's an interesting blog post that covers how to emulate photos taken with a full frame sensor with a m4/3 (or similar) cam.
http://admiringlight.com/blog/large-sensor-look-from-a-small-sensor-camera/

Also, the dissection of some pancake lenses:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/unmaking-pancakes

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Hey dudes and dudettes,

I'm selling my Oly E-PL1 and other related accessories. If you know someone in the market for babby's first M4/3 cam with a couple of lenses, check it out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499921

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

alkanphel posted:

A test shot from the Olympus 17/1.8 lens that I just got. It's not as sharp as the 25/1.4 or 20/1.7 wide open but it's still decent. Strangely enough when shooting wide open, it doesn't resolve detail that well at mid-range distances but it's good in the close-range and infinity distances. But for normal web display or even 10x15 prints, you probably won't notice it at all.

If that's the case, do you think that this lens is a good upgrade or replacement for the old Oly 17/2.8?

I've been on the fence about selling my 2.8 and grabbing the new 1.8, but I haven't found any decent reviews about the newer lens to help guide my purchase.

EDIT + Bonus Question:

Anyone own the Olympus FL-600R? I'm looking for a good baby's-first-hotshoe-flash, and I have an OM-D. I'm just having a difficult time finding a unit that explicitly says its compatible with my cam, and I figured I'd settle for the FL-600R. It's a lot more than I'd like to spend for a first flash, though. I just need to know if it's worth grabbing at full price.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 28, 2013

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Musket posted:

There are a ton of people who are trying to mimic the jpg from raw with bad results. Its a good thing. There is a good reason to shoot jpg/raw combo for a ton of folks.

Funny that you mention this, because the folks at Huelight have a solution for this particular issue.

http://www.colorfidelity.com/

They're a bunch of Lightroom presets that replicate the original out of camera look that many of you seem to like. There's no preset specifically for the X-E1 yet, but they seem to be updating their roster pretty regularly.

If you have a camera that's not on the list, I suggest you roll on down to the mu-43 forums and let them know you'd be down for paying for a new preset. You can check out the forum discussion concerning these presets here: http://www.mu-43.com/f92/huelight-color-profiles-lightroom-acr-33905/

I currently use the E-M5 preset, and it's totally worth the ten bucks.

As an aside, I would pay for DXO versions of these profiles, too (or make a terrible attempt at creating them myself).

EDIT: Grammar and stuff.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 31, 2013

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

Are there any lines on OM-D batteries that aren't $50+? Any 3rd party ones that don't suck?

I got some Wasabi brand batteries dropshipped to me when I didn't have my Oly battery with me in Hawaii last year. Been using the same two batteries that came with this pack ever since. They seem to last a bit longer than the first-party OM-D batteries, in my opinion.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 28, 2013

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

Anybody? :shobon:

I've only used the Wasabi batteries, but this post seems to indicate everything's alright with Progo.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I don't know if you're still into owning your software, but I'd just spring for the 60-day trial and $10 a month subscription they've got going on now.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I am excited to use and abuse that updated stabilization. The updated video specs are decent, too. I think this may be the catalyst to get me going on some fun video projects. I'm also glad that they got rid of the accessory port.

I don't know if I should actually pre-order this or wait until it pops up on Amazon.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Oh. I was under the impression the Mark II was due to ship out around the end of this month. (Which also gives me some time to meditate on the E-M1, because I'm actually torn between the two to some degree.)

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

On the other end of the opinion spectrum, I think that subscription based software (especially in the case of Adobe's Photography bundle) is worth it. I used to be anti-CC until the photographer's bundle came out, and now I've grown to appreciate the deal Adobe threw out there. It'd be cool to see them create other CC bundles, too.

Look at it this way:

You get access to Photoshop and Lightroom for ten bucks a month. Considering that access to Photoshop used to cost way more than that, paying $120 a year / $10 a month for both pieces of software is a deal to me. Though if you still want Lightroom free of the subscription bind, you can still buy it as a separate, non-subscription purchase.

You always get the latest and greatest. Why would you not want the latest and greatest PS / LR available? Again, it is only ten bucks a month. Also, Lightroom Mobile is pretty neat.

If you're strapped for cash, think of it as just giving up two coffees / a fast food meal a month. Lower up front cost, you can budget for this monthly if needed. Also consider this: a lot of folks already have subscriptions to Netflix and other services. Why feel weird about a subscription to tools you find useful for your profession / hobby?

I just think that CC makes so much sense, and I find it kind of strange that people are still hesitant about it. On the other hand, I understand that owning software is a practical thing to some people.

Edit: Also, from this page (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq.html):

quote:

Do Creative Cloud members have access to previous versions of Creative Cloud apps?
Yes, you can install previous archived versions of the apps from Creative Cloud on your desktop, as well as from the Creative Cloud Desktop Apps page. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.

Currently, the CS6 and CC releases are archived and available. In some cases, more than one CC version of an app is archived and available.

Though it is unsaid if you can use it without having to have your own license or if it'll just work with your creative cloud subscription. I'm trying it out right now by installing the archived CS 6.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 8, 2015

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Linedance posted:

I get what you're saying with Netflix, etc., but with those I can stop paying whenever I like, and start up again whenever I like. CC only sells a yearly subscription (paid monthly or in advance).

You're right about it being not very flexible. Can't argue with that. Hopefully one day they'll be a bit more consumer friendly when it comes to payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Oly finally has a pro repair / maintenance plan, hell yeeeeeeeaaaa. That weathersealed flash looks pretty cool, too.

I still have an E-M5. From the way things are looking, I think it'll finally be time for me to upgrade. The only thing I'm worried about is continuous and tracking AF not being as great as they're making it seem.