Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
E-PL1 refurb w/ kit lens at Cameta for $299! Should I get it? I've always wanted to try an m4/3rds camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Apologies for reposting this if I am, but I was checking Flickr for photos taken with legacy lenses on M4/3 cameras and I came across this thing called PinWide. Apparently it's a pinhole adapter for M4/3rd cameras that, judging by the sample photos, looks pretty cool. It's $40 freakin' bucks, though.

girl_crosswalk by wanderlustcameras, on Flickr

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whatever7 posted:

Why don't you poke a hole in a body cap?

Apparently this one is setup so it's ultra-wide angle, if that makes a difference.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just scored a "Like New" Panasonic GF3 + 14mm pancake from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $355 - when I got it, it was indeed in perfect condition with under 20 clicks on it... but no battery charger was included. I emailed them and they offered a full refund upon return, or a 30% refund. So basically, I scored a brand new GF3 with the 14mm pancake lens for $249. Score! Then I picked up a generic battery + charger that had been verified to work with the GF3 for $20.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whatever7 posted:

That's a great deal. Did you buy it from Amazon warehouse or Amazon marketplace (which is basically ebay buy it now auction)?

Amazon Warehouse Deals - on the "Used" tab on the main product page. I've had amazing luck with buying things from them. A "panasonic" deal alert on SlickDeals alerted me to this one.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is the NEX-5N currently the best bang-for-the-buck for someone looking for a sub $1K EVIL camera? Any odds on it dropping below $470 any time this year?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spankmeister posted:

Maybe, but consider the Panasonic GX1, it's $460 now with the (good) 14-42 kit on amazon.

I'd be willing to go for it as I've have good luck with Panasonic stuff, but why choose the GX1 over the NEX-5?

Doodarazumas posted:

It's been on sale in various places for 420-440 about 3 times in the last month, if you're willing to check slickdeals frequently and wait a few weeks you should be able to grab one for around that.

I missed that ~$430 deal on eBay via buyDig a few weeks ago - I hope something similar comes back! I've already set up my deal alert on SlickDeals. I'm just worried that I'll run into a situation that sometimes happens with camera equipment - I'll wait long enough that it just becomes hard to find instead of cheaper.

getsuga posted:

If you're going for bang for buck and are okay with manual focusing there's nothing better. It has better low light performance, better DOF control, and DR than every m43 (neck and neck with the OM-D but that's 1k). Focus peaking + Tap to zoom and the small native flange distance (basically every lens is compatible) make it arguably the best MF digital body on the market. Being able to buy quality 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.8 prime lenses for less than $200 a pop is also pretty sweet, So basically what I'm saying is, if you're not doing sport photography or bird watching, the nex 5n for $470 is pretty amazing

The low light, high ISO performance I've seen is almost freakishly good for such a small camera, the larger sensor offers a better crop ratio for my MD Minolta lenses, but like you said, the focus peaking is so cool. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and (although it's cliche) it seems nothing short of revolutionary for an MF lens shooter.

I think I'd still keep the kit lens around for when I'm feeling lazy (and considering I've not found the body significantly cheaper than the kit), but that focus peaking has me nearly-literally creaming my jeans. I've tried to get by on my Panasonic GF3 but the magnified-area Focus Assist just isn't cutting it for my tired eyes. And how fun is it to find old-rear end lenses, from CCTV to Vivitar Series 1?

Thanks a lot for the input, ladies and gents.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shmoogy posted:

I admit that I laughed at the ad, but I've been seeing a trend in which companies are almost attacking people in their ads. I don't think that it's really a technique which is going to get people to switch to their product.

I think the key is consumer segmentation (coming from a marketing wonk). You're not going to swing the clueless DSLR market with that ad, you're going to appeal to people that want to take DSLR quality photos without looking like your uncle with his brand new T3i and kit lens. Plus, I think there is something to be said for tailoring your equipment to the work - sometimes a DSLR makes you look like a pro, other times it makes you look like a dweeb.

It's kinda like that Samsung Galaxy S3 ad - they're not appealing to iPhone users, they're appealing to the Android faithful.

edit: But back on topic, is focus peaking on the 5N as useful as it seems for an MF lens shooter? Please say no, my wallet is hurting.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 13, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I will have to personally disagree with the opinions about touchscreens - I kinda like them, actually. Touch-to-focus (and associated focus tracking) is pretty handy. However, the lack of physical controls that usually accompany a touchscreen can be annoying.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Crazy good deal on the E/NEX mount 19mm Sigma f/2.8, $99 at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852002-REG/Sigma_400965_19mm_f_2_8_EX_DN.html

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has anyone here tried shooting slides/negatives with a slide copier? I saw some pretty impressive results from using a NEX-7 to copy a slide vs. some dedicated film scanners, and I was wondering if there were any good slide copy setups for vintage systems that might adapt well to NEX, in particular (one for Minolta would be extra-great since I already have an adapter - would those Konica slide copiers work?).

Radbot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 7, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That bodycap lens is almost making me consider keeping my GF3 just for that. I love panfocus.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Decently hot deal today on the Pentax K-01, all three colors (not just Yellow!) and their weird 40mm ultra compact lens. $299 @ Groupon: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-digital-camera

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've been extremely happy with manual focus lenses on my NEX-5N, I'd imagine the 6's EVF and physical controls would be positively transcendent in comparison.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why would you ditch a 5N to go with an OM-D? The lens selection?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 23, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Groupon keeping the mirrorless hits coming with a cheap Pentax Q:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pentax-q-with-zoom-kit-1?c=all&p=21

Note that it doesn't come with the zoom lens pictured.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 30, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Zombie Trotsky posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913513-REG/Sigma__19mm_f_2_8_DN_f_SONY.html/

B&H has the Sigma 30 & 19 2.8 lenses for Sony e mount at $200 for BOTH lenses.

Came here to post this, definitely a genuinely good deal. I hopped on the $99 19mm so I don't feel too bad (it looks great out-of-camera and even better through DxO Optics, which has a lens correction profile for it) but people rave about that 30mm.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.getolympus.com/outlet_store

20% off all refurb Olympus cameras with promo code COLUMBUS. Get an OM-D with kit lens for ~$551!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How dumb would it be to build out an E-mount system at this point? I've shot with my NEX-5N for awhile now and I love it, despite the clunky controls and lack of EVF (really lovely in sunny Colorado). I don't have the world's most critical eye, but I've been pretty impressed by what this body and DxO Optics can do with very basic lenses.

But, I recently came across an A6000 bundle with the Sony 16-50 power zoom and 50mm f/1.8 all for under $800. I've already got the Sigma 19mm f/2.8, and that lens set seems like it would have me covered for nearly all shooting I'd ever do.

I ask because I just saw some of those A7S reviews and I think I shed a tear when I saw how a single candle provides easily enough light for that camera to shoot. I can't justify spending $2k+ on a body that would out-resolve any lens I own now, but should I just start doing FE mount lenses in expectation of upgrading again in 1-2 years? Or take the fire sale that's happening on E-mount and stick with APS-C?

If it helps, I regularly make 16x20 canvas prints and do some ham-fisted video editing.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 30, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

If you're just looking to expand your lens options, get a lens adapter and some manual focus lenses. The 5N is still a damned fine camera despite its horrible menu system.

If you're doing big prints, the A7S may not suit you as it is only 12MP, less than your 5N. The A7S is a purpose-built camera and that purpose is to take photos and video in low light. That plus its silent shutter are the only main advantages it had over the other models in the A7 series.

What you may want to consider is the A7II and using it with manual focus lenses until you can save up for AF glass.

Good point, MF may be the way to go, especially since I've really enjoyed shooting my MC/MD Minolta and Pentax 110 lenses on the 5N. Do you know if glassless (in this case, Minolta MD) -> Sony E-mount adapters will work on FE-mount cameras?

edit: Holy poo poo, the A7II stabilizes manual lenses? Maybe that's the one I should go with after all. Although the IBIS doesn't look as effective as I'd hoped...

Radbot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 30, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was thinking about picking up a beater m43 body to pair with a 25mm CCTV lens (I've got a beater NEX-5 and an SEL35F18, but the latter is a little nicer than something I'd want to live in my backpack all the time/take out drinking). What is the cheapest Oly body with an articulating LCD?

Why not adapt the CCTV lens to your NEX? I'm not understand why you need an MFT camera to use it.

edit: Ah yeah, I forgot how small the image circle is for lenses like that on APS-C. FWIW, I still produce very nice usable images with my Pentax 110 lenses on my NEX-5N.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I feel like I'm missing something with the Leica T. I completely understand buying Leica lenses, but why in the hell would you buy a Leica T or similar when their sensors have such a poor performance/$ ratio? Why buy a non-RF Leica body at all when you can mate them to a Sony or MFT or something?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think it failed to hit wildly optimistic predictions, but it has sold tens of millions at this point. Camera manufacturers ain't got nothing on that.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The NEX-7 18-55mm kit is $498 at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817843-REG/Sony_NEX_7K_B_NEX_7_Digital_Camera.html

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's the absolute best camera, full-frame size or less, in low light? It seems like the A7S is the right choice, but I've also heard that its still photo low light performance isn't that great compared to a downsampled A7II, and it lacks IBIS.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I've seen the videos and there's no question that the A7S destroys every other camera below ten grand in low light VIDEO. But what about stills? I've seen some comparisons that show it has a 1-2 stop advantage at best after the A7II is downsampled.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Not sure if this considered mirrorless or P&S, but decent deal on the X100T today:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7809197-fuj...ards-1199-ac-fs

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
OM-D EM-5 w/ kit lens, new from B&H, for $499: http://slickdeals.net/f/7826495-olympus-om-d-e-m5-16-1-mp-elite-mirrorless-digital-camera-w-14-42mm-lens-black-or-silver-499-free-shipping

Is it just me or is that a screaming deal?

edit: drat, looks like a Mark I.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
E-PL5 with 14-42 kit lens, $274 shipped with promocode DIG5:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=7799409&sku=OMEPL5K1442&omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=1225267

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hey y'all, is my posting of mirrorless deals annoying? Just want to make sure I'm not spamming.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Decent deal on the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm / F1.7 II ASPH.

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-a...x-camera-lenses - Panasonic's site is $299 - get 16% cashback via Ebates.com = $251 + tax if applicable

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Are the new Panasonic Photo 4K modes as cool as they sound? It seems amazing to be able to have a cheap(er) ILC camera that essentially has a 30FPS drive, even if it is at 8MP. I am full Sony E-mount right now but the G7 has started to attract my eye!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The a6000 is a fantastic camera, at under $500 refurbished it is very competitive with Olympus' offerings. Fuji is generally more expensive.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

d0s posted:

These are all out of his price range, though I'm very happy with my 1st gen X100 which I got for $500. He could probably get an X100S for $750. Would definitely not trust it against the elements the way I would an OM-D, though I know nothing about weatherproof cases.

The m43 sensor of the OM-D is in all honesty kind of lovely compared to APS-C though. Even though I've never used an a6000 I'm sure it's sensor outperforms the E-M5 when it comes to things like dynamic range and high ISO, so that would definitely be something to look into too

edit: man the LX100 is kinda cool. I've always like Panasonic's extremely function-first design in their higher end stuff like the GF/X1, GX7 and this thing. Really wish they weren't saddled with the m43 sensor though, after going to APS-C I can't imagine paying a lot for a m43 camera ever again

e2: drat it's small too http://camerasize.com/compare/#569,566

I'm running into the same issue. Sony has just farted out so many good quality APS-C sensors attached to middling cameras on the market that it's making it hard for me to justify switching to the MFT system, even if there are compelling reasons (IBIS, 4k video, lens selection, etc.). The Sonys with these features are loaded into big, heavy bodies that get close to DSLR size; then again, the A7II has around 10% less quality than the D810 at half the cost. Just not sure what to do at this point.

I'm going to wait until the Panasonic DMC-G7 is reviewed first, though. I'm extremely intrigued by the pre-burst and 4k video burst modes.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Very true. If Sony put IBIS in the next a6000 it would seal the deal for me.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just seems like a weird time to be switching systems - everyone's either missing a lens lineup, or has a tiny sensor, or lacks IBIS, or is ridiculously expensive.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Brand new MkI EM5s with kit lenses are going for $499 at B&H as recently as last week, just FYI.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DJExile posted:

Wow that's pretty slick. That kit lens (if it's the 12-60mm) isn't anything fancy but it IS weather sealed.

Nope, not that lens, unfortunately. There are two models, one is the "Elite":

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842933-REG/Olympus_V204041BU000_OM_D_E_M5_Micro_Four.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1129169-REG/olympus_v2040401u020_om_d_e_m5_elite_mirrorless.html

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://youtu.be/iM1_Dsq_VAA

I'm sorry, but that's goddamn incredible. I was planning on getting an A7ii but I think I have to go with a G7 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spankmeister posted:

So get the A7s?

It doesn't shoot internal 4K...?