Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
m4/3 doesn't get enough love, especially in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

keyframe posted:

EVF's are poo poo.

As an owner of an A55 I can wholly confirm this. Correct me if I'm wrong but OLEDs don't have the same lifetime as an LCD - or did I read something incorrectly at some point?

Also, as a point of interest, other posts on that site claim the 24mm Zeiss lens to be a pancake, so either that's incorrect or the camera photo is a mock-up.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
If you want to shoot only the focal length on the x100 its a good choice.

To somebody who doesn't know what focal length works for them the x100 is a poor choice IMO.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Bob Socko posted:

Earlier today, I took a walk through Pike Place Market. I was surprised by how many tourists were carrying NEX cameras. I didn't do an exact tally or anything, but I'd guess 20-25% of the non-point-and-shoots were NEXes. Anecdotal, I know, I just thought it was interesting to see so many of them mixed in with the consumer level DSLRs.

Jesus that's scary. I was borrowing one and was planning on running down Pike Place with it tomorrow.

I wish that Sony built a leaf shutter into a bloody NEX instead of the one Ziess lens, because I was not expecting the shutter on the NEX-5 to be that loud.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Got back from PAX, nothing trendbreaking except... the horrifying thing was that bridge cameras seemed about as plentiful as point-and-shoots.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 27, 2011

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
One is optical and one isn't, so they're two different beasts. The NEX-7 should use the same EVF as the A77 which is really good, but its a different experience from an optical one.

Try both if possible.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

rio posted:

Is the screen good enough to be able to see if you are properly focused? I like the newly added feature that highlights in-focus edges on the screen...if it works well, that is.

Sharp lenses are a lot easier to focus then soft ones with focus peaking. For instance, when I was borrowing a NEX-5, I also borrowed a Ziess 35mm f/2. It worked well at f/4, but not so much at f/2 where it became soft and the peaking function wasn't able to find edges as readily as when it was stopped down. I also put on my Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 which remains quite sharp when wide open, and it was much easier to focus then with the Ziess f/2.

Don't take this post as an excuse to invest in new glass, just don't be afraid to use a smaller aperture if then lens is soft.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Shmoogy posted:

That zeiss must've been a pretty weak copy, mine seriously rivaled my 100L wide open (it just suffered from bad CA and vignetting).

Must have been a bad copy, maybe I'll notice these things :downs:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I may have missed it mentioned here, but....

The Fuji flange distance is 17.7mm as compared to m4/3's 20mm and e-mount's 18mm; I'm butthurt.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

HPL posted:

The Fuji mount looks smaller than the NEX mount so there's a glimmer of hope that someone might be able to make a recessed Fuji-to-NEX adapter, much like the C-mount-to-NEX adapters out there.

Thanks. The NEX mount does looks a little wider.... on the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Fuji to make it impossible for their lenses to mount on a competitor's camera.

And then I realized

moonduck posted:

That said, how do adapting fly-by-wire lenses work out considering that neither the aperture ring or focus ring do anything when not hooked up the X-Pro?

That I don't see the point of having a manual-aperture ring that doesn't work when not attached to the camera that isn't complete bullshit.

Which is too bad, the 18mm could have been sexy-time.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
That new Voigtländer lens makes me want to use m4/3... 17.5mm f/0.95.

Press release in German

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 7, 2012

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
If only it was ZF or ZF.2 :(

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

keyframe posted:

I don't have it yet. I was kinda wanting to go with the ZE one because I will most likely buy a 5dmk3 when it comes out and I will want to use it with that too.

I would purchase a ZF.2/ZF lens and then swap out the mount. Its what I'm doing when I pick up an 85mm ZF.2.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

spankmeister posted:

Yeah my uncle has one and I think it had some kind of contrast detection thingy where it shows yellow dots when it's in focus.

No idea how it's called though.

Focus Peaking?

I eyeball on my [terrible] VG10, since peaking doesn't work as well as other NEX models

Left the page open :downs:

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 24, 2012

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
There is the new Samyang/Rokinon 8mm fisheye if fisheye is your thing.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

RustedChrome posted:

As we all suspected, a full-frame NEX just doesn't make sense.

Some words on SARS* says that full-frame e-mount cameras will be camcorders, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

*pun intended

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Point-and-Sperg.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Do they sell adapters that let you control aperture on Nikon's G lenses? I'm genuinely curious, I never heard of anything like that.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

whatever7 posted:

Its just an extra ring to manually control the aperture (stepless), G adapters are all over ebay.

Ah, okay; I was thinking something like the Conurus that has electronic control. Since it doesn't (some kind of stepless, short ring) then I'd avoid it. But that's just me, I like to know my aperture :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Good job, Adorama. :eng99:

Surprisingly I'm considering the 18-105 G for a found footage project since it has power zoom and constant length.