Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Goad idea for a thread.

I recently traded in my 40D for NEX-3. I have to say that apart from not having a view finder and going back to a 3.5-5.6 lens from the Tamron's constant 2.8, I'm quite happy. It's a lot more portable and I find myself carrying it with me more than I ever did with the 40D.
I got mine second hand with v01 firmware, but quickly upated it to v03 once I read about the features Sony added. I really like that they made two of the buttons on the back customisable, as it speeds things up a bit. If only they let you change the function to 'print', that's one thing I really miss from the 40D...

I have a Japanese domestic model and can't change the language, so I haven't really explored all the settings yet. I couldn't say off hand if the metering spot is adjustable.

One last thing, The main reason I got a mirrorless camera over a compact P&S, apart from the nice big sensor, is so I can use my rangefinder lens (I only have one) with it. I'm planning to get an adapter in the next week or two, but the Voigtlander one is quite expensive and I hear bad things about the cheap Chinese ones. The Kipon adapter seems to be a good compromise between quality and price. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Thanks for the tips. I reckon I'll save money and go for one of the cheaper options. Which is a good thing because I just found a Rokkor 90mm f4(CLE) for a good price and couldn't resist. That does mean I've blown my budget for the month though. Looks like I'll be subsisting on rice until pay day.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
You can pick your focus point. With the latest firmware one of the soft buttons on the back can be mapped to auto-focus point select. Click that, set your desire point and you are good to go.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Firmware talk? Sony released an update ten days ago. Cool features include new picture styles!

For example "Toy Camera'!

Two kittens by Mhebble, on Flickr

I bet you x100 users are jealous. Who would want Reala and Velvia pre-sets when you could have selective colour, 'Pop colour' and 'Retro' effects :colbert:

Seriously though, the best part is a 'peeking', also known as 'edging', feature that outlines the areas in focus with your choice of colour. It's a pretty nifty thing when using MF lenses, but gets a bit tricky to use at wider apertures.

It is easier when taking photos of 'rough' areas as I guess the camera looks for sharp contrast. In this photo the red(being the colour I'm using) appeared around the in focus rocks, dirt and twigs on the ground. There was also a little bit in the rabbit's fur and eyes.

Relaxing by Mhebble, on Flickr
It was taken at f4 on a 90mm lens.

As you can see, I was taking photos of rabbits today.

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 30, 2011

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Rontalvos posted:

So sony alpha rumors is reporting that an x100 killer in the form of the NEX-7 is likely in the works.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-hot-is-that-the-first-image-of-the-nex-7/

What do we think about this?

I'll find it even harder to justify the cost but I think that was what the NEX should've been in the first place.

It looks interesting, but as HPL mentioned a camera system isn't just about it's body (unless it has a fixed lens), we need a better selection of lens dammit! I do think having an EVF and hotshot built in is great though. It'll be interesting to see how the see of dials and buttons feel for someone with big hands.

I wish Sony would release a flash shoe for the current models, with a PC port on the side. Actually, I'd just like a PC port :smith:

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

keyframe posted:

That lens looks huge. Also it needs a optical viewfinder if it hopes to be a "x100 killer"

EVF's are poo poo.

Yes, EVF's are poo poo, but they're better than nothing. A good clear, bright OVF would be next to useless on a NEX because it would only be usable for a few focal lengths, if even that. These cameras built for two different uses. Being a 'x100 killer' is just hype.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Costello Jello posted:

Not all EVFs are poo poo, by any means. There's a huge range in resolution and usability out there. There was one camera I tried in a store that had an amazing EVF, but I can't remember at all what it was.

I have to ask if was it a nice nice dream? Because there is no way an EVF is ever as good as an OVF. Even the smallest, foggiest OVFs that I have encountered have trumped any EVF I have used. I won't deny that they are handy compared to having to use an LCD in broad sun light, but they are less than ideal. Unfortunately an EVIL camera with the flexibility of an SLR will never have any thing better than better than EVF.

I still can't understand why Sony insist on using them in them in any of their SLRs.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Pardon my earlier poo poo post.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

They're only just starting to make it into people's hands, as the production delays pushed back the ship dates.

I was (and still am) really interested in getting one as a big fan of my NEX-3, but waiting to see how Fuji's mirrorless interchangeable announcement pans out early next year.

I wanted to empty quote this so hard.

When I am in the area, I go into the Sony shop and touch the NEX-7's they have on display. I recently got a little extra cash leading up to Xmas and was thinking about trading my NEX-3 and getting one, but decided against it because of the above quote. Good thing too, because I hadn't read the 1/27/12 release date in the store.

I still thought it was released on 11/11/11

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
The Fujiguys have put out some videos talking about the X-Pro 1. I found these two the most interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEH4UcSSZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8A3Bc8R4g

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Shutter speed lock button... I want one now.

Unfortunately from the video it looks like it only locks on 'A'. This is one of the small niggles I have, but otherwise it looks like big step in the right direction.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Pockyless posted:

I think it's perfect at locking only at A. You can still quickly change the shutter speed in M and shutter priority modes without taking your eye off the viewfinder or holding the camera awkwardly.

I didn't think of that. I've been using an FE recently and it just seemed odd that this only locked on 'A'.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I went into Bic camera Nagoya and had a 'play' with the Xpro1 today and spent about ten or so minutes with it. It felt okay in my largish hands, though I was constrained by the wires tethering to the display and couldn't hold it exactly how I wanted to. It's pretty light, but it feels sturdy and while I don't have much experience with the X100, it is definitely a lot easier to access everything and change the settings on the Xpro1.

The operation seemed like it might take a while to get used to, but after a bit everything really started to come together and I think I could really learn to love Fuji's hybrid system. I really wish I could use it out in the wild, because there is only so much to take photos of in the store. The displays sometimes set up near Sony's products are great for testing cameras out, it would have been great to have one of those set-up near by to test it. Also, they only had the 35mm and 60mm available to test as apparently all the 18mm had already been purchased. This was true for another store I went to, Top camera.

I did have a fiddle with the manual focus before I left. Of course it's not as tactile(?) as a direct system though there was one thing about it I liked. It seemed to responded differently to how fast you turned it; slow movement for fine control, fast for changing the range quickly. Along with the focus scale in the O/EVF, it seemed like a nice compromise. I'm not sure if this was the same as in X100.

There's my 2 cents anyway.

Oh, and multiple exposure mode will be the new creative scene mode.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Just posting to say that the Xpro1 firmware update made me fall in love all over again.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Hey Mate!

My Xpro1 will fire a basic strobe on it's hot shoe no worries. Maybe it's an odd connection conflict with Olympus gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Our favourite Nikon expert comparing the Df to the FE.

Rockwell posted:

No M90 position on shutter dial

The FE has a batteryless manual shutter position. It could fire at 1/90 or bulb without batteries.

I won't fault Nikon here; even if the shutter of the Df would fire without batteries, it wouldn't do us much good if the camera couldn't record what came off its sensor.

E: It's all good.
http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/df.htm

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 7, 2013