Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought an XT2 and some manual lenses last year, decided to dip my toes into AF after a bad batch of "I can't really see poo poo like I used to" last week. I haven't been able to get an 18-55 off ebay yet, it looks like the prices for that have been getting higher than I can get from mpb. I swore I looked around holiday 2021 and they were significantly cheaper.

I did buy a 23mm f/2 for $300, so fingers crossed it is as-described. I did read up-thread that some of you were underwhelmed by it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought a used xt2 that I'm loving. Flew with it this week to a project and i dont know if it was the extra travel shaking it loose or something but the night I landed the sensor was covered in dust spots. Very very annoying. Did what I could with a blower and brush but theres still a lot there.

Got some good milky way shots though. Very dark skies, used a Rokinon 12mm and a little travel tripod.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Arcella posted:

Cool, thanks. I have the 35 f2, but for anything <50mm equivalent I kinda just use my phone, so something with a bit more zoom would be nice.
For a bit more reach I'm using the 16-80. I've been pretty happy with it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Does anyone have any advice re: the fuji 18mm f/2 pancake? Not sure if I'd see much difference from it vs. the 23 f/2, except very low profile (which is what's drawing me).

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Driving through a town this week where a guy is selling a Fuji 70-300 for $550. He pointed out it has a tiny bit of dust on the lens.

I have a body with me, but I'll be on the clock and would have to do a really quick test before buying/passing and getting back on the road. Figure shoot up at the sky at both extremes of focal length and aperture, see how bad it is? Any other/better advice? I have a fat dust spot on my 16-80 and it drives me nuts, but for baby's first bird lens I think this price is good and I should just buy it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thoren posted:

The Viltrox 13mm F1.4 is incredible.

That's been on my radar but like another poster said, can't get my hands on it anywhere. Been looking for a good non-sponsored review.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

You get more for selling privately but god drat is it annoying.
" Can I offer you X?"

If I wanted offers I would have put that as an option.
I actually once cancelled a win out of spite because the winner had spammed me with dozens of low balls even after repeatedly telling them I won't accept offers.

I am the worst negotiator / haggler. If I see something I'm interested in owning, I'll look at other sales first to make sure it is comparable. Then I'll think about it for 5 minutes "yeah/no it is/isn't worth that much to me" and I'll just buy it. I bought a XF 70-300 from a guy on CL for what I thought was a good price, and he held it for me 10 days (I was traveling) just because I told him if it was in good shape I'd buy it at asking. When I met up w/ him he told me I was the only person who responded not low-balling.

I did the same for a guitar last year, and an amp a few back. People always seem surprised so I know they've priced high expecting to come down, but I just don't have it in me to haggle.

But that's kept me from selling a lot of my own junk. I have a closet full of old video game stuff I want to put on SA. I read the similar threads, and they always follow a pattern of "NES game X for sale, $50" and the response is "How much for X?"

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

It's very good, but most people consider the newer 70-300 to be a better buy, since it's roughly the same price and provides an extra 100mm on the long end (which is what you generally want from a telephoto zoom, instead of the extra 15mm on the wide end).

I picked up the 70-300 last month used. I'm a little puzzled because it's been beating the pants off my 16-80 for general sharpness. So I'm super happy with the 70-300 but wondering wtf I'm doing wrong with the 16-80, same lighting conditions, same targets, really.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

HorribleAvatar posted:

Since I mentioned it in the film thread I figure I would ask now and get it it out of the way. I've been looking to try Fuji for my landscape work and since there seem to be quite a few users here who use Fuji I would like to hear your experiences. ...

I'm interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks

I bought an xt-2 to dip my toes into astro. The built-in intervelometer is great for me. I've been shooting more non-astro lately and will probably upgrade to an xt5, stay in the ecosystem. I had to learn how to do most things in low/no light so it is as much a function of "what I know" as just liking it.

The Viltrox 13mm, I waffled on that for too long. They were selling for under $300 US (ebay) a month ago. Now that I decided to pull the trigger they're $385.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

wolfs posted:

I have a comedy option Tokina 400mm reflex lens for the extreme far end - I’ve been sort of contemplating buying one of those red dot sights for when I use that, since figuring out what I’m seeing that far away out of focus is a bit challenging

I use a spotting scope on a t-ring for some fun stuff, and definitely helped to put a cheap red dot on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

Fuji is releasing a new kit lens soon to make better use of 40mp, right? Is anyone waiting to get an X-T5 with that instead of the 18-55 or 16-80?

Me. I'm still plugging away with my T-2. Never got the 18-55 or 16-55 so I'll probably upgrade the body with this new "kit" lens.