Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wide angle lenses normally are "awful" wide open. That includes my 24/2, 28/4 PC, 28/2, 35/1.4 etc. Nikkors. In my opinion the 12/2 Samyang has crazy good resolution wide open, corner to corner. I can't remember the last time there was something in focus in the corners when I used a wide angle lens wide open. Like.. why would you do it?

Also the fact that Samyang cuts corners by not adjusting the infinity focus correctly, it's perfectly normal. I think they had the same issue with their first SLR lens, 85/1.4, and it has been going on for years ever since. You can probably fix it by yourself by opening the lens, supposing the lens doesn't fall apart if you attempt to service it :v:

Anyways; I own a bunch of manual focus film stuff and a 5D. The 5D is OK for stills when you can check the focus afterwards from LCD, otherwise I can't get good focus with a 5D. So I've been looking for a better camera for MF work, and seems mirrorless cameras are the only option since the EVF's usually have great focusing aids, while SLR cameras have zero (a loving dot in a corner doesn't count).

My budget is under $1000 used so most likely it's a X-T1 or A7. Fuji looks great because it's basically a copy of Nikon F4, aka the best camera ever made:

Any reasons to not buy it? Seems like it has the best EVF and Fuji's own lenses are super sharp, small, lightweight and quite affordable if you want AF too.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Of course there is sample variation, some other sample might have better corners. This guy uses the 12/2 Samyang for astro work: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-review/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's your time frame like? There's always the possibility of used X-T1 prices crashing a bit if the X-T2 really does come out this year, but right now we don't have reliable rumors. That said, I adore my recently-purchased X-T1 and Fuji glass, so you really can't go wrong by jumping into the ecosystem now. At a minimum maybe wait until the end of the month to see if you find people unloading their X-T1 when the X-Pro2 starts shipping? That's up to you.

The X-T2 rumors point to summer release, so I'd have to wait like half a year. I've been using 5D for my digital stuff for three years and I'm quite completely fed up with the focusing issues. The X-T1's used value probably halves when 2 is released.

X-Pro 1's go for like 300-350 so that will probably be the going price of X-T1's later this year. I could always get an A7 though and flip it later if I still wanted to get a Fuji.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I read a few pages of this thread and realized Nikon FM/FE series are basically the same size as X-T1. Nikon has a ton of good enough small and lightweight lenses with 52mm filter thread: 20/3.5, 24/2.8, 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.4/1.8, 85/2, 105/2.5 etc. (Also please fuji why do you make lenses with a million filter sizes? 39mm, 49mm, 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, ??? grr.)

A 500g FF mirrorless from Nikon would be so good. Just copy the controls from X-T1 or some old film camera, sell it for 1000 bucks and call it a day.

If the lenses feel too heavy or big, just look at what Pentax did with their FF lenses. Nikon's 50/1.8 is lighter AND smaller than a Fuji's 35/2. The talk of making aps-c cameras because ff camera and lenses would be too big and heavy is a load of crap. Everyone made as small or smaller cameras and lenses 30+ years ago, and tech and materials have come a long way since.

Anyways, while waiting for The Dream to come true, I'm trying to find a good deal on used x-t1 and 35/1.4.

Edit: and while I rant: where's the 23/2 with X bayonet? They have made the lens since 2010 at least but don't want to sell it without a camera glued on it?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 3, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

whatever7 posted:

You do realize the lens in the x100 has much shorter flange distance than the X mount. If it's doable, someone would have taken apart a dead X100 and reuse the lens.

So..? Leica cameras have always had lenses which rear element get very close to the film/sensor and shutter. I don't buy this explanation, unless fuji's X camera design does not have enough room in the "mirror box" or whatever it's called these days.

E: like this: http://shootfilmridesteel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/shoot-247.jpg

Of course the sensor might have been designed so that it has less resolution/vignetting problems if the light comes from really steep angles...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 3, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sony probably took their sweet time making all new lenses, instead of going with something old and proven. I guess these have no focusing helicoids either.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They also claim that high performance affects other stuff too, like the speed to EVF to turn on, the FPS of EVF (from 50-60 to 85fps) etc. So it's definitely worth it to check it out. Also if you turn all the extra clutter off from EVF it should save some battery.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

DaNzA posted:

are you using a lens filter in front of your lens? try remove it if you are

lenses nowadays should be able to handle the flare pretty gracefully and most of the time it's the extra piece of glass people place in front of their lens that's causing the problem

Even the finest filters cause horrible flare and destroy your photos, especially in low light. If you don't need a filter, don't use one!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm ready to buy the X-T1 & 35/1.4. The problem is finding some in Finland. One guy had the body + 1 original battery + 6 knockoffs and the lens for 1070€, came with boxes and all that.

A local camera shop sold same set but with only 1 battery and no boxes for 1100€ last week. I went in today, thinking maybe I could pay the price if I got a memory card or something to sweeten the deal. But today the price was 1200€ :downs:

There are lots of cheap 35/1.4's for sale, probably because of 35/2. Fuji should have released the X-T2 instead of xpro2.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some adapters have an adjudstable infinity focus :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I could not control my spending and bought X-T1 & 35/1.4 used. The firing mode and exposure meter wheels suck, because they turn when you adjust ISO or shutter speed. At least you can disable both from the menus. I learnt this after shooting half of my photos to JPG :v: Otherwise it feels like a great little camera - 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2 and X-T1 weigh as much as my old canon and a 50mm. With the 35mm the camera is half the weight -> I'll probably carry it a lot more with me as a hangaround camera. There's not too much point to lug a FF or 6x7 (or larger) randomly around.

Next step will be XF 23/1.4, because the 35mm is too tele for a general purpose lens. The 23mm seems to be around 500€ in ebay.

Does anyone know how much the MHG-XT weighs btw? Some extra grip would be nice.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't understand why you'd buy a compact system then slap a grip on it. Grips are good if you're shooting long sessions with lots of portrait, or to balance larger lenses.

Well obviously many people want a grip, since X-T1 has 4 grips. A small one, basically arca-swiss plate. Then a medium one with an added grip. A large grip. A battery grip with extra shutter release and all that.

The medium one doesn't look that big or heavy: http://www.fototime.com/5BED836893D23FE/standard.jpg

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

8th-snype posted:

drat, I paid nearly $800 for a used xt1

I paid 750€ and those rebates don't apparently cover Europa...

Btw do you need to use screen protectors these days? I assume cameras like my X-T1 have gorilla glass.. since why wouldn't they?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I went to try out Samyang 12/2 for Fuji XF and it felt broken. The MF ring barely turned and the infinity focus was way off. Is this normal for Samyang?

I've used to focus rings be light and smooth, like Ai-S Nikkors. Or well damped.. the Samyang felt unlike anything I've tried out before. The XF 23/1.4 is pretty nice mechanically. Fly by wire MF is good, light and fast, while 35/1.4's fbw MF sucks. 23mm is light and follows you nicely, so you kind of forget it's using AF to MF, if you don't pay attention to the noise.

The lens itself is retardedly large for a normal "35/1.4" (compare to Voigtländer 35/1.4 or Leica's or Ai-s 35/1.4 or..). The hood is even larger. Can't wait for the 23/2 with 52mm filter thread.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Normally the lens hood hits walls first. Then your hood gets scratches. No big deal. Nikon's aluminium hoods are so strong you can't even bend them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I didn't bother testing the 12/2 too much, but I found the focusing ring to be too stiff to be enjoyable in any use. It'll do when you have all the time to focus, it's just so drat slowww.

Build quality felt ok. Hood is huge. Sharpness is great corner to corner and ca is low/nonexistent. There's visible bulging distortion. Reviews say it has great coma handling so it works well with astrophotog.

I'd buy one used despite the focusing. Maybe I could switch the lubes to lighter ones if it isn't too much work. Reportedly the lens has a lot of sample variance so try the specific lens you are buying personally.

Oh, and the lens focuses past infinity so you need to always pay attention to that. Perhaps it is fixable, but drat does Samyang save pennies with QA.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One XF Samyang 12/2 @ 2: http://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/pics/DXT10117_lr5.jpg

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I decided to just buy the 35mm f/2 WR and be done with it. This 35 1.4 is definitely decentered but I guess it still might be useful for low-light events and portraits. Maybe I'll sell it, but who would want to buy a decentered lens?

Sell it and don't mention it. Hope someone who doesn't pixel peep buys it, and if some masturbator buys it instead, claim you had no idea. Use craigslist or w/e so you don't need to worry about returns either.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Good sensors are great with astro. Like sony a7s, with it focusing is a breeze. Xt1 works good enough too. Try boosting the screen brightness to see more.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Anyone looking for a 23mm fuji lens? I'd love to sell it now that everything else is gone. It sure is pretty. :)

Do you live in EU?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

whatever7 posted:

That's a very handsome camera. I like it more than Leica's stuff.

I have not heard of Nitto. Are they better or worse than Cosina?

I think I have black electrical tape from Nitto and it sucks. So gooey and slimy, not good at all for a tape.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Found some x-rays of x-t1 and 23/1.4: http://imgur.com/a/kkq2N

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The filter thread diameter is different than the 23/1.4. :(

Fujifilm :argh:

I have a principle to not buy lenses with incompatible filter sizes. 62 and 52 should be good enough for all primes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Apparently I need a lens protector filter. Despite using the square hood with my 23/1.4 I managed to scratch the front lens to some bush during last hiking trip. I know it wont affect IQ that much but every scratch is like at least $100 off resale value.

Fuji's square hoods are useless if you want to use any kind of lens caps, so seems the filter is the way to go.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just remember that the 35/2 is more like a fisheye lens if you don't apply distortion correction.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How's the X-T2 evf compared to X-T1 btw? 1 is really dim when outside, how much the improved brightness in 2 helps? Also is the auto-brightness in 2 useful at all? At least in phones every auto-brightness has sucked so far..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

XT1 has four problems:
- super easy to knock all dials out to wrong settings (please look at Nikon F4 how to do it properly)
- tiny useless grip, and the battery grip is useless too (have to remove the grip to change battery??). the largest extra hand grip is Ok though
- dim viewfinder during day
- laggy viewfinder which freaks out and gives all kinds of visual artefacts when autofocusing etc.

Also the Samyang lenses made for it are poo poo. I have the 8mm fisheye (god how the focus is stiff beyond any reason) and 12/2 (it has a very stiff focus too). Image quality is nice but the lenses are mechanically the worst. Even Tamron and Cosina made mechanically better lenses in 80's. Way better. Never used such dinky lenses before.

I am hoping to relubricate both with a thinner grease so maybe they are serviceable after that. If not, time to sell them.

I bought a Sony A7II for 600€ because I wanted to use my old MF Nikkors. K 135/2 had sand in since 2011 and I haven't used it because of that sand problem. So I bought an Ai-S 135/2 with hopefully better coatings and hood. It had an unusably stiff focusing too so I relubricated with S-10 helical grease. Some idiot had relubed it earlier with wrong grease. It is now nice.

I found motivaton to relube my K 135/2 and clean the sand away too. Nice. Did my Ai-S 85/1.4 too. Previous owner had it relubed in Hong Kong and it had the same issues as Ai-S 135/2 - some idiot used wrong, overly stiff grease. Used the same S-10 grease and now it's veeery nice too.

Japan hobby sells many kinds of helical greases but they're so expensive that I haven't wanted to buy them. The S-10 seems to work well enough for most applications. I have S-30 too but it has been too thick for all of my Nikkors which I've tried.

Anyways Sony A7II is also a bad camera, worse than X-T1 in most ways, except the fullframe sensor and IBIS. I hate Sony's menus, camera design, tiny batteries which drain after 20 photos (and batteries turn from 40%->0% instantly), "eye" sensor which activates from 20cm away, poo poo menus, no my menu, ahhhh the list goes on. Ohh and the "sorry you won't get a charger" thing. Have to charge batteries with an usb cable? Can't use the camera while it's charging? Oh and if you bought the vertical grip you have to remove it and insert battries to the camera to charge them, one by one (bought a 2 slot charger from patona). But I still use it more than my X-T1 because of the FF sensor and the look old Nikkor lenses give with a FF sensor.

Yeah also bought the Metabones v2 Nikon->Sony E adapter. Lol it was too thick and functioned as an extension ring - none of my lenses with hard infinity stop focused to infinity. Good job... good QC. I asked from Metabones about the issue and they never responded. Never buying anything from Metabones ever again, returned the POS adapter and got my money back minus 18€ shipping fees.

Anyways, mirrorless cameras are so good with manual focus lenses (compared to reflex cameras). I can see exactly what I get. A7II viewfinder is a bit low res compared to my Nikon F2 viewfinder, it's harder to focus but the 5.9x zoom function helps with accurate focus. Maybe the new higher rez viewfinder in new Sonys is good enough but they're too expensive.

I still use my X-T1 if I want a light camera, or autofocus. I'm not buying a new set of FF lenses when the best camera system changes every other year. Maybe Nikon will come out with an Ai F to Z adapter with an Ai feeler tab and a stop down tab which allows me to focus with full aperture and the adapter automatically stops down the lens for exposure. One can dream...

I doubt Nikon can produce one though since they don't seem to care about old lenses or Nikon users too much these days. Also their "battery grip" with no shutter release or any other buttons...? Heh.

Sorry about the negative rant. I just wonder who keeps designing these cameras and lenses when all of these mechanical and usability problems were solved already over 40 years ago in Nikon F2AS and the Ai lenses. At least Sigma finally learned how to make sharp lenses, even though they have to make them 3x larger than other manufacturers.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 20, 2019

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nikon could do a Nikon F Ai -> Nikon Z adapter which reads out the aperture electro-mechanically and uses an electrical motor or something to stop the lens down while taking the picture. I doubt they'd take more electrical power than AF/VR functions in lenses. Maybe the camera body contacts can't handle such commands/information though. Too bad.

Also holy crap these 3rd party adapters. Nikon F-> Sony E adapter must be 28,5mm thick for accurate infinity focus. Otherwise the distance scale, dof markings, crc elements etc. all go out of whack. I had to shim my K&F Concept adapter and I used overhead projector sheets for it. Didn't have any other actual shim material available but two layers of the 0,14mm thick sheets seemed to do the job. The adapter was way, way off. Now it is good and life is good.

Using lenses with a thick adapter like that makes the A7II front heavy even with a battery grip and an arca-swiss plate screwed on bottom of it. But it is better than DSLR's were for manual focusing.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 29, 2019

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My sony A7 II broke on saturday mid-shoot. "Camera error" on screen, and shutter decided to stay permanently closed.

Of course it was my only camera so I had to leave and get another one :v: Took a 5DII with 35/2 IS USM from our camera club's loaner closet. What an annoying camera to use. The viewfinder tells nothing about the image and I didn't like the AF system at all. Well at least it was better than no camera at all!

Sony had under 4500 shots and it is still under warranty. Time to take it to a shop for repairs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bloops posted:

Well the 5D II is 11 years old. It’s very much a center point AF focus/recompose camera. And what do you want an optical viewfinder to say? It shows metering and settings. That’s good enough to get the job done on moser DSLRs.

I like EVF because it shows how the bokeh looks like, exposure, white balance, all that. So it's more like what you see is what you get than SLR cameras. Film era SLR camera viewfinders were at least big and sharp, 5DII didn't have even that going on. Well it did the job and I returned it in the evening, so it was good enough of course.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well Olympus could release a full frame system some day. It shouldn't be too hard for them. They can produce decent crop cameras and lenses, and they have produced good ff cameras & lenses back in the day.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't like my A7II's high-rez sensor. I wish it would be 12-15mpix. A7S models are so much more expensive though, so I have to live with the useless pixels my 50 year old Nikkor lenses can never resolve.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been eyeballing Panasonic Lumix S1 since yesterday. The camera with a battery is 1kg and the grip and 2nd battery is 400g extra. So it's 1,4kg total which means it weighs as much as a Nikon D6. It's also as big as professional cameras. The controls seem to be well laid out.

EVF is a 120hz 1600x1200 OLED screen with 0.78x magnification. The eyecup is round rubber, instead of those U-shaped amateur eyecups which peel off after a minute like in my Sony A7 II.

So far the Lumix S1 seems to be the best camera to use with old manual focus lenses, especially if the user has big hands like I do. It is really annoying to be constantly accidentally pressing the vertical grip shutter button because the camera is too tiny, like with X-T1 or Sony A7 series.

I will try to find a Lumix S1 to try one out, and maybe even buy one 2nd hand. I doubt any other EVF camera can match Lumix S1 in size, sensor, EVF and price for quite some time. Sony won't make their tiny cameras any bigger. Nikon doesn't know how to make vertical grips anymore (D780, Z6 etc.). All other manufacturers seem hell bent on making tiny, unusable cameras with small and fiddly buttons. Fuji and Sony cameras are definitely the worst.

No digital camera before has been interesting before. I've just bought some cheap cameras because I hated dealing with film.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 19, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What a beast. Panasonic S1 with grip vs Z6:

https://www.jamiyawilson.com/blog/panasonic-s1r-size-and-ergonomics

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems 50mm @ f/2 is the best combo to nail focus with a Sony A7 II's 1024x768 low rez tiny viewfinder. Anything longer and dof becomes so thin I have to pixel peep. Anything wider focal length like 24mm or even 35mm and I can't tell where the dof is anymore due to mushy low res piece of crap viewfinder.

I am going to buy the Panasonic S1, since it seems to be the ultimate manual focus lens camera if you can't afford Leica SL or SL2. Just need to sell my Sony or Fuji systems first.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have finally sold my 5D, X-T1 and A7II.

I am quite ready to upgrade to a Panasonic S1. It's the only name in town if you want regular sized mirrorless cameras.

The thing is that E-infinity sells the camera as grey market import for 1714€ and 1 year warranty. Finnish shops sell it for 2489€ and 3 year warranty.

So is it worth 774€ to get 2 more years of warranty?

My D80 and A7II both broke during warranty. So 50% of my digital cameras have broken during warranty.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The thing is that nobody in Europe is buying Panasonic FF cameras. Which means no one is selling them used either. I have to buy them new. I use only manual focus lenses so a good viewfinder is very important for me, so A7R IV and Panasonic S models are basically only options.

I tried out A7 IV earlier and the evf is insane compared to anything else I've ever used. Evf in S series should be the same.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, aren’t the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras (except the EOS RP) supposed to have better EVFs than the regular A7s? Are the Panasonic S EVF’s even better though?

At the time I was thinking I was getting one of the best EVF’s on the market with my X-T2, and it was at the time, but it’s been surpassed from what I hear. I’d like to try out one of the newer high-end FF EVF’s; the X-T2 is good but I can definitely see how there’d be room for improvement.

Panasonic EVF is 1600x1200 120Hz. While Nikon & Canon have 1280x960 and probably 60Hz refresh rate since it isn't advertised anywhere.

A7II's 1024x768 was clearly not enough for me. I could not tell most of the time where the focus in the image was, while with A7R IV with the same lenses it was so much more easier. Maybe Sony was doing some extra mushing in the A7II's viewfinder, since it was just so poor. I was so frustrated with it every time I used the camera, although I have had no problems with MF with any film cameras after mounting a proper focusing screen.

I really hope the S1 can recapture the accuracy of an film era optical viewfinder. At least it can't be worse than the one in A7II.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I ordered the Panasonic S1 from https://www.panamoz.com - a totally not suspicious gray market camera shop. They did not have the S1 for sale but I asked about it from their support, and they added the camera to their webshop in under 1 hour. They even already had it in stock and ready to ship! :stare:

I then realized they ship only to UK/France/Spain and not Finland. I asked about it too and they said the shipping times were so long due to COVID that they have reduced the amount of countires they ship to temporarily. Earlier they used to ship to whole EU.

Welp I made an UK mailbox in https://www.myukmailbox.com and checked the rates. Around 40-50€ with UPS/DHL express shipping from UK to Finland.

So I ordered the camera to my UK mailbox and they will forward the camera to me to Finland. Camera was 1754€ so the total will be around 1800€. Great savings supposing nothing goes wrong. What could possibly go wrong...

Update: the camera is on the move. It is being shipped from HK to UK via FedEx. From UK that mail forwarder company will ship it to me. ETA to UK is next monday. With DHL/UPS express shipping I could get the camera by end of next week! In theory.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

DJExile posted:

You are 1,000% getting scammed

How would the scam work when their only payment method is Paypal?

Why would anyone bother doing their scams with Panasonic full frame cameras instead of something which actually sells, like phones?

Edit: seems their angle is tax evasion/smuggling. They mislabel the goods and/or value and in case customs snags it (happens rarely), they pay the fees to keep customers happy.

Even if I had to pay the fees mysel, the camera would still be quite cheap.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 14, 2020