Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Got a question about used lenses for an olympus M10ii - the lens mount will sometimes be described as showing wear. Assuming this is through normal usage is this likely to be a cosmetic issue only or do the mounts wear down/start to cause problems after time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

CodfishCartographer posted:

My OM-D E-M10 ii finally came in :toot: I'm really loving it, even if I spent all day just adjusting settings and taking pictures of my dog. Any recommendations for setups or settings or whatever?

Most useful stuff I've found so far - pressing OK will bring up a mini setting menu which is very handy. Dragging a finger over the touch screen will change the focus area for both automatic but also the manual x10 magnification view. Way faster than using the dpad to move the focus window.

That time photographing your dog will be well spent! I got one recently and whilst it's mostly been straightforward I have missed a couple shots out of lack of familiarity.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
As a casual user one thing I noticed when getting some used micro four thirds kit recently was that alot of the more expensive lens & bodies had an emphasis on weather sealing.
These were all above my budget as a casual user but did make me wonder if I should be more wary of using my camera in rain? Is the weather sealing more to prevent fungus/etc for pricier equipment people plan to keep for 10+ years?
(m10ii with an oly 25mm 1.8)

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Hello everyone, I was looking at an om5 as my omd -em10ii* seems abit old, but I can't actually tell what the major improvements would be. The om5 has more shots per second and a larger sensor, but am I right in thinking even over that sortof model iteration/time the improvements are all going to be fairly minor for a casual photographer?

When I was younger the improvements in digital cameras were pretty major but in terms of image quality on the sensor is it fairly settled now?

*Also the names are awful

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

p0stal b0b posted:

The names are indeed awful.

Apart from the 4 extra megapixels, I think the major improvements will be weather sealing on the OM5 and much a better processing engine that should give you less noise on the image, and a pixel-shift Hi-Res mode which will give you an 80mp image from a tripod or 50mp handheld. With the OM5, you'll also get 4k video instead of HD, a higher max mechanical shutter speed, a 4-stop electronic ND filter, Bluetooth, focus stacking, and I would think maybe another stop on the IBIS, but don't quote me on that. Up to you how important any of those last points are for what you shoot, though...

I have an em10.3, and I'd love to upgrade if I could afford it...

Thanks for the reply!

All those things sound great but realistically probably won't impact me much - I have always enjoyed having a decent camera but not really going to make the most of the advanced options at this point due to work/life/family. Weather sealing, image quality and EVF quality are probably my key details at the moment.

But like you said, thinking about what I actually shoot at the moment and weirdly the weather sealing becomes less important vs the price of the camera. E.g. I could potentially replace a used m10ii repeatedly before hitting the cost of an om5 - and I do find that quite liberating to bring my m10ii anywhere. I'd be alot more particular about rain and sand on a new camera, even if it was weather sealed!