Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Heyo. Got a Panasonic G95 not too long ago - and the only thing I find lacking is the in-body flash. I'm thinking of buying a Nissin i40, used, for my TTL needs since it seems small enough and well rated. Any thoughts on alternatives, though? Really I just care that the flash head can be tilted towards the ceiling and it's not physically larger than the camera body in any one dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

yeah - I was surprised the G95's in-body couldn't be tilted. my panasonic zs100 point & shoot can be tilted, even. I've never tried doing off-camera flash stuff but godox stuff seems just as good as the Nissin I was looking at. you guys are talking about something like a Godox V350o?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 6, 2019

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Any of you ever bought a Metabones converter to do Contax G to M43? Or to any mirrorless mount?

I've got a Contax Zeiss 45mm f/2 on a Contax G1 I never use that would be interesting on my Panasonic G95...

but also, besides the G95's kit lens (12-60mm f/3.5-5.6), the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 (which is oddly slow to focus), and the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 (which never really needs focusing), what's hot with M43 lenses? getting something good for macro would be nice probably

edit: I've got 6 wasabi batteries across my G95 and ZS100 and they've never swollen or done me wrong.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 1, 2019

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

DJExile posted:

Oly lenses I will not shut up about, in no particular order:

60mm f/2.8 macro - As GEMorris said, it's just an awesome macro lens. Has a focus limiter and can quickly send it to 1:1 focus. You can find it dirt cheap these days as there's a ton of them and I'm sure a ton of used ones are on the market. Weather sealed.

40-150mm f/2.8 Pro - Can focus really close for its size. Built like a tank. I've posted mine like 10 times here just covered in water and mud and other fluids best not described.

I have so many David Thorpe videos to watch now- he seems like the best guy to have looked at every MFT lens ever

The Oly 40-150 f/2.8 is really standing out to me on this lineup, same with the 60mm macro; thanks to GEMorris also.

My YT trawling introduced me to the Meike 50mm f/2 which goes for $75 new on amazon, and which seems like a perfectly good cheap portraiture lens.

https://youtu.be/-ZhyKuHdja0

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh I dunno
the form factor and simplicity are appealing enough to me already

an adapter is ultimately more clutter if I end up not liking whatever legacy nifty 50 I’d get

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

have any of my fellow m43 kings noticed Panasonic G-series cameras missing face focus consistently as the battery runs down? G95 and the panasonic 25mm f1.7 in this instance

admittedly this was in low light and I had a superfluous UV filter on the lens, might have had a speck or reflection or something on it making it miss focus up and to the left of people's faces

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

everyone lusts after fixed primes...

I'm still curious about that Zeiss ZX1. No news about it for ages!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

speaking of low light performance- any of you jokers got a Panasonic S1/S1R? How does it like the dark? I think I love Panasonic menus and ergonomics but my one hang up with M43 is noisy images at night. I haven’t picked up one of those Voigtlander 0.95s yet and that might solve my problem...

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hello- got a Lumix G95. I love the Laowa 7.5mm f2, but it's dumb glass and the distortion up close is too dramatic for people.
Also, the depth of field is hard to get a feel for in the viewfinder when you do get close... like, bits of flower not being sharp because they're slightly too close. The focus highlighting doesn't stick to edges very well.

f2 1/100s
vs

f2 1/80s

So I'm left staring at the Panasonic Leica 12mm f1.2 and the Olympus 12mm f2... $1299 vs $699. Any of you particularly like either?

I'm discounting the wider Voigtlander Nokton since I actually rather like the G95's autofocus most of the time.

I own the newer iteration Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 and could just use that for the time being and jump on the $399 Oly 60mm f2.8 macro, though... (which I remember some of you lovely people recommending pages and pages ago)

:abrathink:

wolfs fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 20, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the 8?mm fisheye can be fun as well and should be super cheap

the laowa 7.5mm is rectilinear and the widest available m43 lens i know of.. i'm not that interested in fisheye anyway. i'll leave skate videos to someone else.

i think i'll go ahead and pull the trigger on a used 60mm macro since a macro lens is the one thing i'm still lacking

GEMorris posted:

, but is likely not wide enough for your goals.

you're probably right. i have a 25mm f1.7 and despise it.
i have a sickness, a sickness for wide angle primes

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I must have a sickness because I saw a Fuji X-Pro1 for $200 with battery, charger and body cap while browsing a pawn shop for m43 glass and bought it immediately

now I have another mirrorless system :ohdear:

The battery is charging right now but it seems remarkably well taken care of

now, to get the cheapest primes possible...
any opinions on the Viltrox 85mm?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m sure I’ll get an XPro 3 in like a decade once they too cost about $200... thanks for the hot tips re: Fuji’s 18mm f2.
That and the Viltrox 85 seem like safe bets.
I’ve yet to stick any glass on it but everything with this XPro 1 seems fine wrt buttons and stuff. I’m impressed with how bricklike it is. Almost identical dimensions to my Contax G1.

Good luck finding a cheap one!

Usually pawn shops around me seem pretty picked over / full of junk but it had been sitting there since November devaluing. :iiam: like... there’s lots of creative types in Austin. how they didn’t see this in 4 months I don’t get.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Wengy posted:

I‘m an existing E-M1 user and shooting sharp 1 second pictures hand-held with the 12-100 will never cease to blow my mind.

Huh. I had always thought Panasonic's IBIS beat Oly's but maybe not?

1 sec exposure with no shake is pretty good... I need to experiment, but I don't think my G95 can do that.

edit: page snipe!!!

since we're talking about old sensors here's a moving car snapshot from my new (to me) Fuji X-Pro 1 with the XF 16mm f2.8 WR at f6.4, straight out of camera JPEG

anything around 16mp and up is all fine imo
look how nice those rails look!

wolfs fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 10, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The Panasonic G95 has a live composite mode I never use I might have to mess around with once the weather clears up -

I picked up a Tokina 300mm f6.3 reflex macro for a cool hundo and I’m deeply intrigued by what I could do with it once I’m comfortable with how narrow a field of view it has

Trying to focus at infinity on a distant highway I seemingly can’t resolve headlights into clean dots of light vs little donuts for some reason

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

It’s actually a native m43 lens Tokina released in 2012 — no adapter, and made in Japan if you can believe the little sticker. Behold, exif data:

I don’t think I’d want to use this close to infinity during the day it’s so soft but I suspect using it as a macro for flowers will be nice

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I find myself enamored with the XE4 and that new pancake. The XPro 1 I got from a pawn shop a while back is agreeable enough but chunky vs my G95, and neither is really as small as I’d like.

How does Fuji pricing work? Is the pre-order discounted at all? When do new models sell for less than msrp?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i have a perverse interest in sticking the new xf 70-300 on the new xe-4 but i dont have 2 grand burning a hole in my pocket just yet, but maybe in a year or two. My only x mount camera is an x pro 1 and I frankly have no idea how well it would play with the 70-300. It’s such a weird edge case I might just rent the lens out of curiosity and try to hack together a YouTube video testing the autofocus because a cursory search gave me nothing (except dozens of videos praising the x pro 1 in 2020! and 2021!)

my first mirrorless camera setup (sold for i think $250 years ago) was a nex-5n paired with the f2.8 16mm pancake lens and it was fantastic for most everything. the xe-4 and its pancake remind me of it. a little brick with a wrist strap is the ideal camera shape, fight me

wolfs fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 17, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

There’s a microchip shortage cascading slowly through electronics - and stuff like cars, too. Used cars are going up in value. I guess, conceivably, Fuji cameras could too as there are production delays.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Anyone know the going price for a used x pro 1 or have one for sale?

I managed to find one that was sort of beat up and has to do the "sensor cleaning" thing every time I shut it off for $200 at a pawn shop and when I posted about it in... 2019? people thought it was a steal. I think some youtubers have started talking it up and online prices seem to be $450? If you're brave enough to go to pawn shops I highly recommend it for digicam unicorns

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Laowa wide angle lenses are fun- or at least, I like using my 7.5mm f2. I have the entirely dead version. I understand there’s a version 2 now that communicates exif to the camera.

I use the 7.5mm so much when I recently (last month) went out with my Panasonic 25mm 1.7 I was surprised at the only battery I’d thought to bring running down

the battery life advantage has me considering the siren call of adapting old manual focus lenses to my lumix g95 again, with the added bonus of being able to adapt them to my xpro 1 …

I don’t know anything about C mount lenses except for this video that came up in my YouTube queue:

https://youtu.be/pKvErzFAbIo

I tried a CCTV lens on a Sony NEX-5N back in uh 2012(?) and wasn’t impressed but using old Super 8/Super 16 lenses seems interesting

I don’t know about the utility of a pistol grip and the wild lcd magnifier he has going but it’s sure a look

wolfs fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 15, 2022

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I looked at that ig account sigma - If your focus isn’t changing between shots Laowa makes very nice macro lenses at 60mm and 100mm for m43 cameras - but I’m not sure if those are easily rentable. Just for your situational awareness if you pursue m43 and find the Oly 60mm not quite what you’re after.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

m43 is the king of formats on affordability alone

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

X100V? pshaw! simply go buy a Ricoh Pentax GR III X SE

ricoh griixse

it’s fun to say

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m daily torn between a GR3, the XF10, or one of the Lumix p&s as a camera to keep in my work backpack

I brought along my G95 last work trip and it basically never left my hotel room

e: god the last panasonic compacts came out in 2019 is the market dead? where’s the refresh!

wolfs fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2022

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

yeah you could buy 3 Q’s instead

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

okay so
m43 telephotos
I have the Panasonic 14-140
Should I get the 100-300, too?
Or do I succumb to the siren call of the OM 90mm f3.5… or something entirely different?

I have a comedy option Tokina 400mm reflex lens for the extreme far end - I’ve been sort of contemplating buying one of those red dot sights for when I use that, since figuring out what I’m seeing that far away out of focus is a bit challenging

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i got a sony nex c3 and the sony 16mm f2.8 for funsies - similar sentiment to buying a panasonic lumix gf3; i have a ricoh gr iii x and the small form factor of it makes me want all my camera bodies small and well designed

the joke is on me though - the nex c3’s menus are in Japanese and it appears to be a domestic model without the option to change the language

it would be very silly to stick the 16mm f2.8 on, say, a used a6600 or something…

i could also very easily buy a lumix gf3 and use my m43 mount laowa 7.5 f2 on it for peak small milc

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I would kill for a cheaper GF body to lower the digital medium format floor but I suspect that’s still very far off

re: Panasonic GX7 - I haven’t used it, but I have been very happy with the G95 for the last 4 years, enough so that I bought a GF3 for $80 off eBay to use with the Laowa 7.5 f2 last month - and the form factor of both is really complementary. I’m inclined to think small m43 camera + small lens is a very happy space.

Now, that said, I really want to get a fast telephoto or zoom lens for the G95… torn between the Pana Leica Noctiron 42.5 f1.2, Pana 35-100 f2.8, Pana 25-50 f1.7… maybe one of the manual focus Voigtlander lenses? Or Laowa’s f0.95 50?? Spoiled for choice!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hmmm. a $1200 Panasonic Lumix 100-400MM F4.0-6.3 II? The first version better start costing peanuts!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

ok so Fuji is putting out a 40 mp “compact”

Panasonic follow suit you cowards refresh your compacts why is the ZS100 $600 new when it hasn’t changed since 2017!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Ricoh should make a tiny hot shoe flash that’s connected via a bungee or coiled sorta cord that you can pop off and fire at weird angles if they insist on all these gr iii variants not having a flash