Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I'm looking for some help closing in on a new camera, and hopefully grabbing something for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I've been shooting a refurb d5100 for the past 7 years and been pretty happy with it. I'm finding, however, that I'd just like a bit more portable and modern setup. I really enjoy taking pictures of my kids, and landscapes when I'm out hiking, but have found the handiness/portability of even a smaller DSLR less than ideal. I've also found that while I'm getting decent sharpness in my kids faces, I'm often missing focus on the eyes. With a 3 and 5 year old running around like a 3 and a 5 year old do, I'm interested to see what benefit I'd get from a more modern system, given the d5100's 11 AF points (and a bit quicker continuous shooting fps). I've pretty much been leaving it behind most days in favor of my pixel 3, but still want to be able to do "serious" portraiture/candids when the mood strikes. Out of camera JPEG IQ is a consideration as well, I find myself taking more pictures than I find time to post-process these days (another benefit of moving to mirrorless? I can presumably compose my pictures a bit better and spend less time fixing later).

I've been giving a hard look at the a6400 and the XT-20/30. I especially like the idea of being able to slap a little pancake prime on and have, if not a pocketable camera, something easily tossed in a backpack with the kids' stuff. I've heard amazing things about the a6400 AF system, but less than impressive things about lens quality in the 16 and 20mm pancakes, and nothing much better with the pz lens. I try not to fall into the pixel-peeking trap too much, but Sony lenses seem generally slower for about the same price as Fuji as well.

The Fujis look great, with a good selection of aps-c lenses, good reviews of their pancake primes. It seems like a lot of people on these forums shoot the xt2/3 though, curious if there's any deal-breaker reason not to get the less expensive bodies (while keeping in mind a lot of regulars here are pro-sumers/professionals)? Seems like the body size might be slightly taller, but I'm guessing it's pretty negligible without being able to fondle all of them.

Finally, there's the z50, but I just can't get excited about it. It seems like the most logical choice since I already own a number of dx lenses, but am I wrong in thinking I can just as easily adapt to any other mirrorless system (albeit manual focus or questionable AF adaptor)? The specs on the z50 just don't blow me away, but it also doesn't seem much more compact than the camera I have now, not to mention very limited aps-c lenses.

Finally, I like a good value too-- With the AF considerations in mind, would I be happy with the a6000 as a bargain proposition? I imagine that it may be closeout priced with the a6100 being released, but trying to balance with my limited research with the Sony lenses. Part of the problem is that with the d5100 (and a d40 before that) being my only frame of reference, I just simply don't know how much of an upgrade I need to be happy, but if I'm going to spend between $600-1000, I want a meaningful upgrade that won't leave me wanting in a year or two. It's as likely that I'd be thrilled with the AF of the a6000, but am willing to spend a few hundred more if worth the premium. Am I pretty much going to be happy with anything at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. I'm gravitating towards the XT20, I suspect I'll be more than happy with the advancements in camera tech over my 10 year old Nikon, and won't know what I'm missing between the 20 and 30, and likely a much higher percentage of keepers. Although if the right Black Friday deal comes along I might be compelled to grab the 30.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

XBenedict posted:

Viewfinder aside, this is the correct advice. I can't see a significant enough jump between the X-T2 and X-T3 (unless you're a video fiend or want a touchscreen) to justify the current difference in price, especially if you buy your cameras pre-owned. Even new, there's a $500 difference.

My biggest worry comparing the 2 vs 20 is not being happy with the compactness. Unfortunately I don't think there's any place near me where I could compare the different bodies. I like the idea of a bigger viewfinder and weather sealing, but don't know if I want to trade for compactness and $$$. I don't have any frame of reference because I'm coming from a DSLR and haven't played around with EVFs, so don't know how important the bigger viewfinder is or how it compares against the optical viewfinder of the D5100.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Alright, sold. Thanks everyone.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Still a bit out of my price range, but saw that Abe's of Maine has XT-3's on sale now $1,109. Holding my breath that Amazon will closeout the 2's below the $799 it's at now. Amazon seems to be the only place I can find with new X-T2's in inventory still, so hoping I don't get screwed for waiting.

[Edit]
And the 2.8-4 18-55 is on sale for $339 which I probably will grab, as it was what I was eyeing anyway for whatever body I end up with.

[Edit 2]
I thought I had heard this place come up before, but it looks like they have a reputation for Gray Market without advertising as such? Would explain the lens being so significantly less than elsewhere.

SuicidalSmurf fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 10, 2019

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Animal posted:

I called them once and they confirmed that it’s gray market.

What a lovely way of doing business. It's not like there's any shortage of people willing to buy gray-market, but there is zero indication that is the case on their site. They're not on Fuji's authorized reseller list either, now that I looked.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Koth posted:

I have some money to spend on a new camera thanks to an insurance claim on stolen gear. I currently have a Nikon D300s with an 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens. I'm looking at getting something that I can use as a multi-use camera. Something that I can use to take decent photos, but also something that I can throw a pancake lens on and use as a walk around camera. Something that I can shoot in RAW, but also something that I can quickly upload to my phone for sharing.

So after doing some research, I decided on the Fujifilm X-T30. A local retailer has the X-T30 available with the XC 15-45mm 3.5-5.6 OIS PZ lens or I can get the XF 18-55 2.8-4.0 R lens for $325 CAD more. Am I correct in thinking this upgrade is definitely worth the $325?

I would also like to get a pancake lens, but I don't want to spend a bunch on one right now. Are there any good inexpensive pancake lenses available for the X-T30 right now?

I just recently picked up the X-T30 and 18-55 2.8-4 combo and have been super impressed with it's sharpness. I don't have the 15-45 to compare against but the 18-55 is very solid. It isn't a tiny lens as compared to the XT-30, but I just picked up a used 27mm off these very forums for when I want something pocketable.

My experience with the wi-fi hasn't been too bad.. It's not fast but it accomplishes my goal of being able to upload pics without necessarily having to download to my desktop or dick around in post. Still shoot raw and jpeg though.. old habits.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I wish they would release a body in the xt form factor that was weather sealed. I went as far as trying out an XT3 to replace my 30 and just couldn't quite live with the increased size/weight. I know lots of people gripe about the xt series being too tiny, but it's super handy to take backpacking or throw in a bag when I'm out with the kids.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I remember using a 55-250 lens on my canon apsc camera, then moving up to 400mm, and that was my primary bird lens. Always been interested in the Fuji 100-400 for my XT2 but the price always felt like a little much when I could get a similar DSLR lens for cheaper. Now, with an XT30 (a step up in AF from the XT2 but way smaller) that new 70-300 is tempting. I just wonder if it’ll be enough reach. 450mm equivalent is pretty good, but the 600mm equivalent I got with the 400 on a 7D was that much better.

I've gotten decent results with the 55-230 so interested to see some real world examples as people start getting their hands on them. The teleconverter compatibility is nice too but a bit of sticker shock new.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

harperdc posted:

It’s not really a kit lens, there is a cheaper power zoom that has that role, but it’s been sold with many bodies so is slightly underrated and available cheap used. I’d recommend anyone with a Fuji X camera to have one, they’re compact but really good.

That lens is what is on my camera more often than not, and the image quality never fails to impress.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

rolleyes posted:

In my experience the Fuji app works fairly reliably most of the time, but then abjectly refuses to acknowledge the camera exists 1 time in 20.

Me right now. I suspect I'll have to do some dance of uninstalling the camera/phone respectively to get them to see each other again. It works ok when it works and is an entire exercise in frustration when it doesn't.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Am I the only dipshit hoping for an XT50? My 30 is a great almost x100 with a 28 pancake on it, with all the benefits of interchangeable lenses. The only thing giving me wanderlust is IBIS and weather sealing since mine sees the most action backpacking or climbing (granted I haven't fried it yet despite rain). I love the form factor, but guessing the XT5 is too similar in size for there to be a successor?

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Knot My President! posted:

I've been rocking my first camera, an X-E3, for five years this May and it's been a great companion, however that retail therapy / gear itch has me eyeing an X-T5. What are your guys' thoughts on an X-T5 for a nice upgrade? For me IBIS is the big one. I mainly do street photography and landscapes and wanna try to bring it to a few local venues.

Might be worth holding out for the X-T50, it's supposed to be announced in a couple weeks, will have IBIS and likely several hundred cheaper than a 5 if that matters. I've been tempted by a 5 for a while but love my little 30 for the super compact form factor while hiking and climbing. The 50 might suit you for street with size in mind, I think it would be roughly the same size as your current camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

I've been waiting for the X-T50 camera since the 5 was announced and the pricing is just such a disappointment. I guess I'll swallow the weight penalty and probably look for a used 5 and enjoy weather sealing and a barely bigger body than my 30 (or just pass on GAS, my 30 is a far better camera than my skills can capitalize on).