Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bob Socko posted:

I suspect we will see a mirrorless full-frame from Sony, though it would be an A-mount (or this bizarre hybrid mount idea). The biggest criticism of SLT technology is light loss due to the mirror, and the mirror is there to provide phase detection autofocus. Here is a link to Sony's patents for on-sensor PDAF, which would eliminate the SLT mirror. It's the realistic next step for Sony.

The problem with a mirrorless A-mount camera is that you'd have a skinny camera body with a big spacer where the lens mount is because it would have to maintain the flange focal distance. Basically, it would be a NEX with a built-in LA-EA2, which again introduces similar issues as the SLT because it uses the same pellicle mirror technology for AF because the current NEX contrast-detection AF is painful compared to regular DSLR AF. Whether we'll see on-sensor phase AF for real at the FF scale is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Man, this kit lens is killing me. For so long I've shot with nothing but fast primes and f/2.8 zooms so ending up at f/5.6 on the long end is pain. Can't wait to get the Pentax-to-NEX adapter in the mail.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm also getting an M39 to Nex adapter so I'll be able to use my Russian rangefinder lenses. Can't wait to use my Jupiter-8 50mm f/2.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One thing I've noticed with high ISO photos on the NEX 5N is that the character of the noise is totally different from my Canon DSLRs. On the Canons, the noise tends to be way more patterny whereas the noise on the 5N is more random, like film grain. It's a good thing because the noise doesn't stand out as much.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Shot a couple of concerts with my 5N tonight. Not a bad experience. I ended up using manual focus most of the time because running manual with focus peaking proved to be faster than waiting for the AF. Manual focusing was also nice because the live view makes it so that things are bright even if they're dark in real life as opposed to an optical viewfinder where it can be really hard to focus because of the darkness.

One thing I really, really like about the NEX 5N is the fast shutter. It's easier to catch things like flying hair and jumps because you don't have to anticipate as much due to the nearly non-existent shutter lag.

What I missed most was a back focus button. If Sony is listening out there, please please please make it so the play button can be used as an AF-start button and the video record button used as the play button.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Okay, if anyone wants to see how the 5N does in low light with the kit lens, here you go. The lighting at the second show was not as good as the first one. Both sets were shot at ISO 1600 and up, the second one with a fair bit of 6400 work.

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts2011/SplitTRACTCupla-December-27/20783853_xn5zvD

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts2011/The-BelushisBMNSTRBroken/20783972_55PVW4

The photos were processed with DxO Optics 7.1 and finished off with Photoshop Elements.

Overall, I'm impressed with the 5N. As mentioned before, a huge part of the quality of its low light photos come from the appearance of the noise. It blends in better because it's smoother and more uniform as opposed to a jarring pattern that stands out like a sore thumb. 3200 is definitely a comfortable speed and 6400 is okay for web resolution, though I wouldn't want to use it that often unless I was shooting in black and white. I was able to pull a reasonable amount of detail from the shadows in post. Not a huge amount, but more than I used to be able to with my 40D without things getting messy.

Metering was pretty good and I ended up with very few totally blown-out highlights that couldn't be recovered.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 28, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

HPL , how do you compare the workflow of gong through Adobe lightroom and the tools your using now?. Each one has the easiest batch processing procesure if you want to go through RAW and noice reduction?

I never used Lightroom for anything more than file organization like picking selects and meta tags and all that, so I can't speak to the actual processing abilities of Lightroom.

DxO is a fantastic raw processor, but it is very weak for going through photos and organizing them. What it does well is make it so that you spend a minimal amount of time tweaking sliders plus it has excellent noise reduction. It also excels at lens corrections, perspective correction and other such things and integrates seamlessly with DxO FilmPack. So basically DxO is great as long as you have a way of getting files to it and then a way of giving the files a last bit of spit and polish after DxO. What I usually do is adjust all the corrections for the files, start the batch process in DxO and then go to bed or something while it's doing that and then when I come back, I have my nice TIFF files all ready for last touches before publishing.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're going to be shooting from the hip a lot, the touch screen is good to have because you can access controls by using the touch screen more comfortably than by using the buttons.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't think that post could possibly be any more English.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm working on a NEX flash to hot shoe adapter of a sort. Kind of kludgy but different from what people have put together so far. Same principle, different look. Just ordered the parts so it'll be a while.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fiannaiocht posted:

The Nikon 35mm AF-S DX f1.8 would probably be pretty nice with a G adapter.

I can't wait to give my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 a swing on my NEX. The main problem is that the focus ring is not very nice to turn compared to your average manual focus prime.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
35mm f/1.4? poo poo's gonna be pricey. Judging by the size of the sensor relative to the lens mount, it's also going to be a fair bit larger than the 5N and slightly larger than the 7.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

moonduck posted:

I'm very interested in seeing what Fuji brings to the table. I really like a lot about what Sony is doing and the talk of a FF mirrorless from them being announced later this year would be really amazing, but you would expect as good or better sensor quality from Fuji and better/smaller prime lens selection out of the gate.

I'm highly skeptical about a FF mirrorless from Sony because it would throw their NEX lens line into chaos. You would need an entirely new mount for FF NEX and to have three different mounts for one company is madness. If Sony can come out with a good lineup of lenses in the next year and sensor improvements, the move to FF will be moot. At this point, aside from dick waving, is there really a point in making a FF mirrorless if you can get fantastic performance out of an APS-C sensor?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

moonduck posted:

If you're only intending to use first party lenses, I would be more inclined to agree that FF makes less sense. That said, I have too much older M-mount glass to not dream of a day when my 21mm Super-Angulon could be a true 21 on a digital camera that doesn't cost 6K+.

Unless Sony starts making rangefinder lenses, I don't see what upside there is to Sony making a FF DSLR with a NEX mount, especially considering the logistics in making a NEX mount with 18mm work with a 44.5mm Alpha mount.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When my dad picked up my NEX 5N for the first time, he commented on how heavy it was. I didn't say anything, but inside I was doing a massive facepalm.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I was just reflecting on my recent shooting experience with an EVF-less camera and I got to thinking that since I started doing that, I've been shooting at a greater variety of angles than I used to because the camera isn't pinned to my head anymore. Is anyone else finding the same thing?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

I find whenever I try to compose without a view finder (optical or electronic) I always end up taking photos at crazy rear end angles. Rather than getting down to level with something, it will be a crazy 45 angle that looks awesome on the screen, and when I bring it to a computer, I'm like "what the gently caress is this". I'm also like 10-20 degrees off level with the horizon rather than 1-4 whenever I use the viewfinder.

Well I don't mean skewed angles, I mean like a lot more from up above or down low or around a corner or TLR-style from the waist.

I really do wish the 5N had an electronic level on it. I usually have the "rule of thirds" grid on, but it's not ideal.

As for the sunglasses thing, I remember one summer I tried using a CPL on a DSLR while wearing polarized sunglasses. That was weird.

HPL fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 4, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Rontalvos posted:

I guess I need to go play one of the pelicle mirror sonys to see how good an EVF can be before I jump in.

The A77 has a fantastic viewfinder. It's not perfect, but it's great because it's bright and has a very fast refresh rate so it's good at keeping up with motion relative to other EVFs. It's kind of weird to look into an EVF at a dark scene and see it properly exposed.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I would be jealous, but there's no way in hell I could afford one anyway.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

Supposed 1,300 USD price for the kit with the 50mm equiv 1.4 and 600 a pop for the other two lenses. That's quite reasonable imo.

An EOS 1DX for $8000 would be quite reasonable but that still doesn't make it affordable for me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got the NEX 16mm f/2.8 lens from an eBay seller in Korea for around $150 with shipping. They sell lenses pulled from kits or something so they're brand new, just without the fancy packaging. The lens is so light it's ridiculous. It definitely takes the NEX from "Yeah, it's pretty small" to "Holy crap, I can't believe I'm holding an APS-C camera".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ghumbs posted:

Could you post a picture? I just want to see how far the lens sticks out.

There's a photo here:
http://www.ryanbrenizer.com/2011/11/review-sony-nex-5n/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

keyframe posted:

They are basicly making my dream camera. The only thing I am worried about is seeing if the auto/manual focus speed is fixed.

I heard it has a separate phase detection AF thingy on the body so it should AF fairly quickly, though with the parallax error, long telephotos and ultra-wides might be a bit dicey.

From the sounds of it, if you can afford it and find one, it'll probably be a hell of a camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RustedChrome posted:

Are you talking about the wire that goes from the charging brick to the electrical outlet? If so, that's a standard plug. I forget what it's called but it's the same for most cameras, printers, toasters, etc... You can get it at Radio Shack or just use a spare one you might have laying around. People even use the plug from Macbooks to make it more portable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crmarks/5690247165/

Electric shavers often use that kind of plug too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or eBay yourself another charger.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The new Canon G1X is out. Imagine a G12 with a sensor almost as large as an APS-C sensor. I think it's cool except for the lens. 28-112mm F2.8-5.8 isn't terribly impressive. I think they should have either gone for a fast pancake prime like the X100 or an f/2-2.8 type of zoom like the X10.

As it is, given the (probably) better high ISO performance of the G1X compared to the X10, it'll probably put a big dent in X10 sales if not push it out of the market. If Canon wanted to get really sassy, they could come out with an interchangeable G1X system later with pancake primes. If they hadn't already come out with the Canon 7D, I'd say revive the old Canon 7-series with this new system.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 9, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ttam posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a Canon EF to Sony E-mount lens adapter? I have a NEX-5N and a pile of Canon lenses I would like to use but the only reviews I find for adapters are uniformly terrible.

Are they all basically the same and the reviews are written by morons or is there an accepted best manufacturer?

Unless you like shooting wide open all the time, you're probably not going to be super happy with an EF-to-NEX adapter because EF lenses have no external aperture controls. There are adapters with a sort of aperture built in to them but it's not a proper aperture setup so you can get some wicked vignetting with them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ttam posted:

I understand that, and these won't be the primary lenses on the camera. I am looking for something else to mess around with as long as the price isn't out of control.

I'd recommend an M42-to-NEX adapter then because M42 lenses are plentiful because so many companies made them and the M42 mount is super simple mechanically so it's cheap to make. You can probably get an M42 adapter and lens for the same price as an EF-to-NEX adapter alone.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

I was intrigued till I read that the sensor size is gutted by the way slower lens, and at the long end, wide open, the slower lens ends up with the same DoF as on the X10 because of it's much faster lens speed. Not to mention that the VF on the G1X still looks like unuseable poo poo compared to the nice large bright one of the X10

Unless the G1X sensor is revolutionary with noise, I'd still pick the X10 over it.

I think the G1X is a good first step, but I wouldn't buy it. It sets the table for a potentially interesting second generation product. I like the idea of an intermediate sensor between m43 and APS-C. Given that APS-C sensors today can crank out performance exceeding full frame sensors of yesterday, and given the relatively impressive performance of m43 sensors today, I think it's the right thing to do for a compact camera. Things like lenses and viewfinders can be worked out. They have established a good foundation to build on.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mest0r posted:

I think with the release of Fuji's new camera I don't think I'm even remotely interested in getting a DSLR ever again.

If money weren't an issue, I would seriously consider switching over to a NEX 7 and LA-EA2 adapter for serious stuff and rangefinder or NEX lenses for travel and loving around.

When you consider that the LA-EA2 isn't much larger than, say, an EF, Nikon or Pentax to NEX adapter with no electronics in them, it's a good compromise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cacator posted:

The black limited edition X100 which comes with leather case, lens hood, filter and adapter ring is going to set you (me?) back $1700. gently caress! Really don't think the black paint and accessories will be worth the $600 premium over the regular one. But it is marginally sexier.

Man up. HCB painted his Leica black. You can too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Thors Banhammer posted:

The Fuji flange distance is 17.7mm as compared to m4/3's 20mm and e-mount's 18mm; I'm butthurt.

The Fuji mount looks smaller than the NEX mount so there's a glimmer of hope that someone might be able to make a recessed Fuji-to-NEX adapter, much like the C-mount-to-NEX adapters out there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think I need a macro lens. Every time I try to take a photo of my kitten, it tries to sniff the lens and stick its head inside the lens hood.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Does the X100 have focus peaking? Because focus peaking rules for manual focusing. So fast. I love how I can see the focus point move back and forth in the scene in real time.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bob Socko posted:

It's also the same EVF as the a65 and a77, so assuming you can find one of those, you're set.

It may be the same as far as the actual screen part goes, but the A77 viewfinder works a lot better with way less lag than the 5N EVF, at least in the units I got a chance to mess around with.

If you want to see a good EVF, check out the Nikon V1. Seriously.

Also, watch out for those laminated glass LCD protectors. I tried them out on my Canon 40D and cracked two of them. They crack really easily and when they do, they can scratch the screen underneath and then there's the scratching and scuffing that can occur while removing them. I recommend going with plastic film screen protectors like the ones for cell phones because they're cheap, easy to replace and can take a beating.

HPL fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 11, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I was just thinking randomly about lenses when I thought that no one has made a mirrorless tilt lens. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult for Sony to take something like an Alpha mount 28mm f/2.8 and build a tilt NEX mount on it? I mean I know you can do it easily with manual lenses and adapters, but what about something official?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

I think it's "difficult" because NEX cameras use APS-C sensors, so you need a medium format lens to cover the sensor when you tilt. When you end up getting an adapter + lens, it's usually 1/2-3/4 of the way to an actual tilt-shift.

Not shift, just tilt. The 28mm f/2.8 is a full frame lens so it should have a larger image circle than APS-C. You wouldn't need full-blown tilt, just enough for the usual tilt effects that are popular now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There go the Fuji-to-NEX adapters.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

How many tilt/shift lenses are there for the established systems? It's probably not a big enough market to justify any real first-party investment.
This would be more of a toy thing though. Tilt/shift lenses on other systems are for pro use, this would be more like tilt for the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RustedChrome posted:

Interesting, if you can trust the autofocus, or can zone focus, this would be useful in shooting fast moving objects as you could see them well before they enter the frame.

Or shoot with both eyes open like you should already be doing.