Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

bobfather posted:

It's my understanding that Leica hasn't ever produced a digital camera body that was on-par with current generation digital cameras. Every review I ever read would go something like "it has a sensor smaller than a babies' fingernail and noise starts appearing at 800 ISO, but IT'S A LEICA!!!"

What I'm trying to say is, good job. Buy the X100s now and then the X-Pro II in a few months and I bet you'll be a happy camper.

If you really want to use a rangefinder, or if you already have M lenses and want to continue using your film cameras, there is going to be some legitimate appeal to have a digital M body. First, there are exactly 0 other digital rangefinders on the market. Second, it's the only way currently available to make your lenses work correctly. People don't want their fancy 50mm Leica lenses to sit in a bag unused with an all-of-a-sudden crapass field of view, or their wide angle lenses to become slow normal lenses with blurry purple corners. The fact that a Sony NEX gets more dsomarks means very little if your lenses aren't useful on it.

Yeah, there are plenty of greybeards out there who think that setting a Leica facing outward on the table at the coffee house (and the 'post your camera' threads on rangefinderforum are pretty much 100 pages of this) turns them into dos equis man or something. If using a rangefinder or mounting M lenses are *not* important to you, there is no reason to buy a digital M. That said, there are actual photographic reasons for owning one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I'm interested in seeing what it is, at least. Rangefinders aren't all that well suited to most of my photography, but a FF mirrorless camera that is designed to work with rangefinder lenses would be great. I'm betting its going to be a FF M mount mirrorless with no EVF, immovable LCD, and leftover M9 sensors for $4500 - that's definitely something I could use, but not at all justifiable at that kind of price.

I should probably just get the complete set of Sigma DPs and be done with it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Helicity posted:

On a related note - dropping $900 on the Fuji 14mm seems like a waste, when the Rokinon 14mm is out there for $350. Has anyone played with this on their MILC?

Without addressing the optical differences (because I don't know what they are), the Samyang lens is huger, has no AF, and has no filter threads. Those are major drawbacks IMO.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I actually have a cheap ebay M->NEX adapter that doesn't even focus *to* infinity. I replaced it with a $150 adapter with a built-in helicoid and it works great - I don't know if it hard stops exactly at infinity, but it's close enough that I don't notice.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

If the Lunar fixes the NEX-7 menus and makes it harder to push the video button, I'd consider it a worthy upgrade :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

maxmars posted:

I may be spoiled by having been exposed to the concept since the beginning with the NEX, but I think the whole concept should be improved ASAP by doing something like context-sensitive color. I mean, the image is already displayed on an LCD, the camera computer surely must know that (say) white on white is not going to stand out.

If you set the camera to B&W mode, red peaking really stands out. If you're shooting RAW you still get color files.